collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2024 Season  (Read 4779 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: MLB 2024 Season
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2024, 12:00:34 PM »
Well my St. Louis Cardinals are off to a memorably pedestrian start.

The only teams they seem to be able to consistently beat are the Miami Marlins, who once again are in self-destruct mode. We'll see what the Cardinals do to the Diamondbacks this weekend.

As much as I love my Cardinals, I really don't like this team. They remind me too much of the old Cubs teams. Get on base, stand around and wait for the middle of the order to bash one into the 10th row. Dave Kingman and his .236 batting average would be a star on this team! The pitching is suspect. The hitting is non-existent and the only thing they seem to do well is field.

I got one word for you guys: Bunt!

Bunts happen so rarely, you'd probably give half the infield, the pitcher and the catcher heart attacks or strokes. I don't think they'd know what to do if a Cardinal EVER bunted!

You seem like someone who longs for the days of toe on the line 2 point jumpers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2024, 01:05:29 PM »
The brewers have the makings of a sustainably fun team. High floor because of their defense and speed on the bases. Thr pitching still feels like it's destined to run out of gas beyond Peralta, but this is a fun team in the early going

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2024, 03:54:58 PM »
You seem like someone who longs for the days of toe on the line 2 point jumpers.

No.

I’m tired of players who aren’t home run hitters swinging for the fences. If you are asking if I like team baseball, the answer is yes. There is more than one dimension to baseball!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2024, 04:20:56 PM »
No.

I’m tired of players who aren’t home run hitters swinging for the fences. If you are asking if I like team baseball, the answer is yes. There is more than one dimension to baseball!

Teams don’t bunt often because it lowers the run expectancy in an era where pitchers no longer hit.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2024, 06:43:34 PM »
Teams don’t bunt often because it lowers the run expectancy in an era where pitchers no longer hit.

It’s a small difference, but the chances of a team scoring with a man on 1st with no outs is higher than with a man on 2nd and one out. The chances of scoring multiple runs is even higher in those scenarios.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2024, 08:23:09 PM »
Amid a 2-12 start, it is admirable that White Sox fans can be supportive and united ........

in chants of "Sell The Team" (per the AP)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 08:26:51 PM by WhiteTrash »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2024, 09:36:52 AM »
They have injuries for a reason.

It’s like the White Sox complaining about injuries. Moncada, Robert, and Eloy are hurt every year. If that’s who you choose to have on your team, them you will have injuries.

Huh??

1. No one is complaining

2. Johan Duran isn’t injury prone.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2024, 10:09:37 AM »
Sounds like the most exciting player to ever grace a baseball diamond is getting booed at home games.  I only wish the Cubs FO thought as highly of him as the Cubs fans did.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2024, 11:11:15 AM »
It’s a small difference, but the chances of a team scoring with a man on 1st with no outs is higher than with a man on 2nd and one out. The chances of scoring multiple runs is even higher in those scenarios.

So I defy the obvious, have the runner stand there and look stupid, wait for my shortstop with a .182 batting average to swing for the fences and hope if, God willing, he hits it into the air, it doesn't go to center or right field.

I get Sabermetrics and AI in baseball. But at some point, human judgment has to enter the picture.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2024, 11:38:16 AM »
So I defy the obvious, have the runner stand there and look stupid, wait for my shortstop with a .182 batting average to swing for the fences and hope if, God willing, he hits it into the air, it doesn't go to center or right field.

I get Sabermetrics and AI in baseball. But at some point, human judgment has to enter the picture.

I would suggest there's bigger issues if you have a SS batting .182. Also, there's a greater risk of injury and guys just don't practice it anymore. I don't think the success rate is as high as it used to be.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2024, 12:03:54 PM »
I would suggest there's bigger issues if you have a SS batting .182. Also, there's a greater risk of injury and guys just don't practice it anymore. I don't think the success rate is as high as it used to be.

He better be an Ozzie Smith in the field.

Yeah, I don't like sub-Mendoza line hitters either. But I like the idea of having one vacuum cleaner like Brooks Robinson or Ozzie on the infield. Even the Cardinals of the 1960s had Dal Maxvill, who couldn't hit his weight but was an incredible fielding shortstop. The Maury Wills Dodgers were the same way.

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2024, 12:10:07 PM »
Could you perhaps come up with a player who has played this century? Anyway, these guys can all hit and field now. There is no need to give up too much offense to get a good defensive SS these days.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2024, 12:14:33 PM »
Could you perhaps come up with a player who has played this century? Anyway, these guys can all hit and field now. There is no need to give up too much offense to get a good defensive SS these days.

Tell that to the St. Louis Cardinals, who are hitting below the Mendoza Line as a team.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2024, 12:17:02 PM »
Tell that to the St. Louis Cardinals, who are hitting below the Mendoza Line as a team.

Their team average is .230. I would advocate for them to bunt as much as possible though.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2024, 01:11:15 PM »
He better be an Ozzie Smith in the field.

Yeah, I don't like sub-Mendoza line hitters either. But I like the idea of having one vacuum cleaner like Brooks Robinson or Ozzie on the infield. Even the Cardinals of the 1960s had Dal Maxvill, who couldn't hit his weight but was an incredible fielding shortstop. The Maury Wills Dodgers were the same way.

You obviously watched Monte Wills instead of Maury Wills.

Comparing Maury to Dal Maxvill is beyond ridiculous.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2024, 01:36:41 PM »

Baby steps, how about 1990s?

When discussing baseball today and referencing Dave Kingman, there's some distance to go.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2024, 12:22:52 PM »
From The Athletic:

The Chicago White Sox’s miserable start to the 2024 season is starting to look historically bad.

On Monday night, they lost 2-0 to the Kansas City Royals. It marked the sixth time this season they’ve been held scoreless, which ties them with the 1907 Brooklyn Superbas for the most shutouts in the first 16 games of the season, according to Codify Baseball. They’ve been shut out once in each of the six series they’ve played this season.

You know that when a negative record goes all the way back to the Brooklyn Superbas, you really, really suck.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2024, 12:36:13 PM »
Speaking of the Cardinals:
ESPN headline-
HOF skipper Herzog, known for 'Whiteyball', dies

The Badger Basketball team owes his estate some royalties.

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2024, 01:20:58 PM »
Speaking of the Cardinals:
ESPN headline-
HOF skipper Herzog, known for 'Whiteyball', dies

The Badger Basketball team owes his estate some royalties.

Oh boy. We are going to get a lot of "baseball the right way" narrative around here.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2024, 01:23:31 PM »
Nice to see Trout healthy and mashing baseballs.

Hopefully he stays healthy. And even more hopeful the angels finally trade the guy
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2024, 01:25:59 PM »
Oh boy. We are going to get a lot of "baseball the right way" narrative around here.

Pretty dang good manager.  Had a lot of success in KC before taking the Cardinals gig.  Might be a two-time WS Champ if not for a badly blown call.

Hated, absolutely hated him and his Cardinals teams.  Best compliment I can give him.  Did a lot of things that became popular later, utilizing high OBP players like Darrell Porter.  Needed another power threat in ‘85 and ‘87, though.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2024, 01:53:30 PM »
From The Athletic:

The Chicago White Sox’s miserable start to the 2024 season is starting to look historically bad.

On Monday night, they lost 2-0 to the Kansas City Royals. It marked the sixth time this season they’ve been held scoreless, which ties them with the 1907 Brooklyn Superbas for the most shutouts in the first 16 games of the season, according to Codify Baseball. They’ve been shut out once in each of the six series they’ve played this season.

You know that when a negative record goes all the way back to the Brooklyn Superbas, you really, really suck.
These White Sox may be historically bad by the end of the season. They project to only be a 20 win team. I know they willl win more than 30, but maybe not much more than that. They have brought on some mediocre veteran help with the plan to sell them off to contenders, so the end of the season projects to be worse than this start. And, on top of that, as a big market team, the best they can get in the draft is the 10th pick. :-\

Excellent timing by JR while asking for a new stadium. :o

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2024, 02:05:31 PM »
These White Sox may be historically bad by the end of the season. They project to only be a 20 win team. I know they willl win more than 30, but maybe not much more than that. They have brought on some mediocre veteran help with the plan to sell them off to contenders, so the end of the season projects to be worse than this start. And, on top of that, as a big market team, the best they can get in the draft is the 10th pick. :-\

Excellent timing by JR while asking for a new stadium. :o

They are on a pace to win 20 games - they don't project to win 20.

They will probably win somewhere in the 50s. Every team is gonna win 50 and lose 50. The good teams win at least 2/3 of the other games.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2024, 02:16:01 PM »
The last of the Brooklyn Dodgers has passed away, Carl Erskine at age 97.  Pitched 2 no-hitters and helped Brooklyn win a title in ‘55.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.