[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by PaintTouches
[Today at 10:46:19 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Denver Layover - 9 Hours  (Read 6949 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Denver Layover - 9 Hours
« on: March 14, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
I have turned to Scoop prior to travelling before and have received solid advice in the past, so I figured I'd give it another shot.  I'm flying from Milwaukee to San Diego on April 28 and have a 9 hour layover in Denver.  We arrive in Denver at 8:15 AM Denver time and leave Denver at 5:20 PM Denver time.

I have had layovers in Denver before but not for that long, so I've never actually been in Denver beyond the airport.  From what I hear it is about a 45 minute-1 hour long bus ride into downtown Denver form the airport.  Does this seem right?

How busy would the Denver airport be for a 5:20 PM flight?  If we were to leave the airport for a few hours, how far prior to take off would we want to get back to the airport?  I feel like the standard answer is pretty often 2 hours.

All in all, would it be worth it to leave the airport during the layover?  If so, any recommendations for something to do for a few hours?  Any advice as to the best way to get around in Denver (bus, Uber, other forms of public transportation, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Denver Layover - 9 Hours
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
I have turned to Scoop prior to travelling before and have received solid advice in the past, so I figured I'd give it another shot.  I'm flying from Milwaukee to San Diego on April 28 and have a 9 hour layover in Denver.  We arrive in Denver at 8:15 AM Denver time and leave Denver at 5:20 PM Denver time.

I have had layovers in Denver before but not for that long, so I've never actually been in Denver beyond the airport.  From what I hear it is about a 45 minute-1 hour long bus ride into downtown Denver form the airport.  Does this seem right?

How busy would the Denver airport be for a 5:20 PM flight?  If we were to leave the airport for a few hours, how far prior to take off would we want to get back to the airport?  I feel like the standard answer is pretty often 2 hours.

All in all, would it be worth it to leave the airport during the layover?  If so, any recommendations for something to do for a few hours?  Any advice as to the best way to get around in Denver (bus, Uber, other forms of public transportation, etc.)?

I go to Denver all the time as that where family is.  The airport is a good 30 minutes to 40 minutes from anything (in my opinion).  So keep that in mind.  It was built in the middle of nowhere, unlike the old Stapleton Airport which was hit by snow often, but closer to civilization.

That's a really long layover to be in that airport.  I had about a 4 hour layover there last Summer before departing for London, but at least then I connected with my mom and sister and had plenty to talk about.  I'd get out if I could.  Uber just launched there in the last 9 months.  I used it in week 3, it still had some bugs.  I assume by now it is better.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:26:11 PM »
You are in luck, my friend.  The new RTD light rail line from DIA to Downtown opens April 22nd.  Trains every 15 minutes and under 40 minutes one way.

Security shouldn't be too bad... I've flown out of DIA many a time on a Thursday evening, and unless there was a blizzard the day before, 30-45 minutes to get through security is reasonable.  There are actually two main security checkpoints, north and south (both dump you into the same place), and it is not uncommon for the wait at one to be twice as long as the other, so check out both lines if one seems too long (or check the status monitors inside the airport).  There's also the Skybridge security checkpoint to the A Terminal, but I rarely use that anymore.

As for what to do... I'll leave that for others to recommend.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:32:32 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:27:33 PM »

Take the new train that opens in April I think. Definitely go downtown, lots of good places to grab beer and lunch as well as plenty to walk and see.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »
A 9 hour layover?  Who books your travel?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »
You are in luck, my friend.  The new RTD light rail line from DIA to Downtown opens April 22nd.  Trains every 15 minutes and under 40 minutes one way.

Security shouldn't be too bad... I've flown out of DIA many a time on a Thursday evening, and unless there was a blizzard the day before, 30-45 minutes to get through security is reasonable.  There are actually two main security checkpoints, north and south (both dump you into the same place), and it is not uncommon for the wait at one to be twice as long as the other, so check out both lines if one seems too long (or check the status monitors inside the airport).  There's also the Skybridge security checkpoint to the A Terminal, but I rarely use that anymore.

As for what to do... I'll leave that for others to recommend.

Awesome thanks a lot.

And yeah, unfortunately I booked my own flights.  Extremely limited options flying out to San Diego, even from Chicago airports.  Either pay $100 extra plus have to get down to Chicago for a 6 AM flight or fly out of Milwaukee but have a 9 hour layover (or a flight back that has an overnight layover in Denver).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
Awesome thanks a lot.

And yeah, unfortunately I booked my own flights.  Extremely limited options flying out to San Diego, even from Chicago airports.  Either pay $100 extra plus have to get down to Chicago for a 6 AM flight or fly out of Milwaukee but have a 9 hour layover (or a flight back that has an overnight layover in Denver).

Couldn't you fly direct to LA? Only a 2hour drive to SD.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 05:23:53 PM »
Awesome thanks a lot.

You don't think your time is worth  $11 an hour? Please don't tell me you are burning a vacation day on top of that.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »
You don't think your time is worth  $11 an hour? Please don't tell me you are burning a vacation day on top of that.

Not worth it when I've never been to Denver anyways, and the people I'm meeting with out there aren't getting in until 5 SD time and I'd be getting in by like 10 AM. A lot more convenient and a better price. Don't want to hassle someone to drive me down to Chicago leaving at 3 AM. Not worth it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »

That's more than he makes an hour. Be nice.

Wads, LoDo is the spot for your day. Definitely leave the airport and get blazed up. Then, the Pirates are playing at the Rockies that afternoon at 1:10pm. I like the ballpark a lot, but more so at night. Nonetheless, if you haven't been, hit the old ball game after blazin the dro.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:17:59 PM »
Vail

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
It was built in the middle of nowhere, unlike the old Stapleton Airport which was hit by snow often, but closer to civilization.

Stapleton is about 15 min closer to down town,  but both receive the same weather patterns (i.e. - they're both in the high plains).  Don't get me wrong, I still hate that DEN is so much farther from town, but snow is not the difference -- unless you're counting global warming (Oops political board).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »
I don't know what airline you're flying, but before heading downtown, it might be worth checking to see if there's an earlier flight to SD shortly after you arrive.  Go to the gate, ask if you can standby, and if there's an open seat, go spend your "layover" in Old Town instead.

Too bad you can't just get a direct flight to Tijuana, eh-nah?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 10:34:58 PM »
And if you don't get out of the airport - take the train between terminals (even out of security and back in) for a tour of local spots...

Brunch & Drinks @ Root Down in Terminal C
Lunch & Drinks @ Elway's in Terminal B
Happy Hour @ Boulder Beer Tap House in the main Terminal (by baggage claim, outside security)
Early Dinner & Drinks @ Denver ChopHouse in Terminal A

If you don't leave security (you can visit A, B & C without leaving security), it's only a few minutes between terminals on the train (tram...).  Security is probably about 20min...but check the website.  And remember, even if you take the Terminal A sky bridge security, you can still get to B & C on the train.

And if you're not a beer guy (there's lots of local beers at those joints), local spirits include: Stranahan's whiskey, Breckenridge Whiskey & Vodka, Leopold Brothers spirits (all of them), Laws Whiskey, Dancing Pine spirits (all of them), Bear Creek Distillery...just my short list (though not in order, and don't know what places in the airport might have).

On the booze angle - buy a wine shipper, get an Uber to Argonaut Wine & Liquor in Denver, and buy something from all of the above, adding bombers from Copper Kettle, Epic, and Crooked Stave - and then check it in as an extra bag for your next flight, to impress all your buddies in SD.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:58:01 PM by rocky_warrior »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 11:11:55 PM »
Stapleton is about 15 min closer to down town,  but both receive the same weather patterns (i.e. - they're both in the high plains).  Don't get me wrong, I still hate that DEN is so much farther from town, but snow is not the difference -- unless you're counting global warming (Oops political board).

Correct me if I am wrong, but in my numerous visits out there the locales told me one of the reasons for moving it out to where they did was due to fewer snow issues.  I can't tell you how many people have told me that, but if that isn't the case it would be good to know.  Obviously there were many other reasons, including size, capacity, etc. 

Most of my time is spent in Parker, Downtown, Castle Rock and Cherry Creek. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 06:52:20 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but in my numerous visits out there the locales told me one of the reasons for moving it out to where they did was due to fewer snow issues.  I can't tell you how many people have told me that, but if that isn't the case it would be good to know.  Obviously there were many other reasons, including size, capacity, etc. 

Most of my time is spent in Parker, Downtown, Castle Rock and Cherry Creek.

I've honestly never heard this "snow" angle...so I googled it, and the best I can find is "inadequate separation between runways, leading to extremely long waits in bad weather".  I guess maybe that could be interpreted as "snow issues", but I think high wind would really be the driver for runways that are too close together. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »
May just wanna hang in da airport and catch a nap on da floor like one of them homeless dudes. Or, bring yo walkin' New Balance's and speed walk like an old fart in Mayfair, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
I've honestly never heard this "snow" angle...so I googled it, and the best I can find is "inadequate separation between runways, leading to extremely long waits in bad weather".  I guess maybe that could be interpreted as "snow issues", but I think high wind would really be the driver for runways that are too close together.

This wasn't about snow. I went through the nuke weapons course at Lowry when Pena was mayor and the new airport was a major boondoggle for a number of Pena supporters. Stapleton was perfectly fine and its infrastructure could have been upgraded for a fraction of the cost.

A lot of people made a LOT of money off of the new airport deal. Anyone who thinks this was anything but a way to move public money into private hands is naive.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »

Grab a cab and head over to East Colfax. A man can find many diversions there.

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 11:56:42 AM »
Get high as F.

The rest of y'all are lame as hell.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
Get high as F.

The rest of y'all are lame as hell.

Hence, my deference to others.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:08 PM »

While on Colfax, swing by Casa Bonita.  Its a magical place.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »
   might as well find some "weed" and kick back.  they have all kinds so maybe they could suggest something...maybe the nine hour time release-eyn'a
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 04:21:33 PM »
   might as well find some "weed" and kick back.  they have all kinds so maybe they could suggest something...maybe the nine hour time release-eyn'a

And then he wouldn't care if he missed his connection.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »

Wonderful street. Although Kitty's East is closed now.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 10:31:35 PM »
While on Colfax, swing by Casa Bonita.  Its a magical place.

Too funny, Wags!

I have been to the Casa Bonita and it is a trip.

The food is mediocre at best but any place that replicates the Acapulco cliff divers is alright by me. 

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 11:13:12 PM »
This wasn't about snow. I went through the nuke weapons course at Lowry when Pena was mayor and the new airport was a major boondoggle for a number of Pena supporters. Stapleton was perfectly fine and its infrastructure could have been upgraded for a fraction of the cost.

A lot of people made a LOT of money off of the new airport deal. Anyone who thinks this was anything but a way to move public money into private hands is naive.

Yes, there was that.....Pena Blvd, and all.  I remember when it opened how it was going to have this state of the art luggage system to handle skis....it was so bad they had to scrap it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »
Yes, there was that.....Pena Blvd, and all.  I remember when it opened how it was going to have this state of the art luggage system to handle skis....it was so bad they had to scrap it.

I remember the vision Pena scripted and heard the feeding frenzy over a massive public works boondoggle. I was long gone when that place finally opened but I recall reading how the baggage system was breaking people's Dynastars.

I have been through in recent times but never with skis. One of the great things about being a rated pilot is we always rented a twin engine Bonanza for ski holidays and avoided the nightmare of public transportation in under half the time and at 20% of the cost. No TSA bullsh1t for this Colonel.

Death on call

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »
I would recommend wandering around the airport to try and find access to the underground bunkers reserved for the Illuminati, the real reason this new airport was built.

You also missed out on a fantastic opportunity to fly into LA and take the Amtrak down the Pacific coast to San Diego.

rmi210

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »
Uber just launched there in the last 9 months.  I used it in week 3, it still had some bugs.  I assume by now it is better.

Maybe down south in Parker or Castle Rock this is the case, but Denver was one of the first few rollout cities for Uber.  Launched in September of 2012 here, never have had a single issue.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »
Maybe down south in Parker or Castle Rock this is the case, but Denver was one of the first few rollout cities for Uber.  Launched in September of 2012 here, never have had a single issue.

I can also attest that Uber has been in Denver for 2-1/2 years, and I've neither heard nor encountered any problems.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »

Well, maybe if Denver had more drunken Taco Bell "execs" or crazy ass medical residents there would be more Uber issues!

Death on call

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »
Stranahan's Distillery is awesome (and free). I'd hit that up, and probably Renegade Brewery and/or Great Divide brewery.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 09:17:33 AM »
Just looking for an update on the light rail in Denver.  It looks like it should be open and there should be a route from the airport into downtown Denver.  From what I hear it sounds like Coors Field is more or less in downtown, with some cool rooftop bars/restaurants with good views near it.  I think the plan is to take BeeJay's advice and catch some of the Rockies vs. Pirates day game, so probably get brunch at one of those places before the game, catch some of the game, and head back to the airport.  Is the light rail pretty easy to use/smooth?

Ideally I would've liked to have been able to get to some kind of national/state park in the mountains for a leisurely hike, but from the research I've done it looks like the airport is a good ways east of downtown, the Rockies are west of downtown, and the light rail more or less ends in downtown Denver, so I'm thinking that's out of the question.

Also, does anyone know if airports have like a locker rental type thing to put carry on luggage in during the 9 hour layover?

Thanks again for all the advice.  Scoop is a wealth of information.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:29:56 AM by wadesworld »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »
Just looking for an update on the light rail in Denver.  It looks like it should be open and there should be a route from the airport into downtown Denver.  From what I hear it sounds like Coors Field is more or less in downtown, with some cool rooftop bars/restaurants with good views near it.  I think the plan is to take BeeJay's advice and catch some of the Rockies vs. Pirates day game, so probably get brunch at one of those places before the game, catch some of the game, and head back to the airport.  Is the light rail pretty easy to use/smooth?

Ideally I would've liked to have been able to get to some kind of national/state park in the mountains for a leisurely hike, but from the research I've done it looks like the airport is a good ways east of downtown, the Rockies are west of downtown, and the light rail more or less ends in downtown Denver, so I'm thinking that's out of the question.

Also, does anyone know if airports have like a locker rental type thing to put carry on luggage in during the 9 hour layover?

Why go into downtown when you are at the most interesting place in the world: Illuminati headquarters

http://mentalfloss.com/article/61740/5-weird-conspiracy-theories-surrounding-denver-international-airport

Ok I'm kidding...kinda.  But seriously though, WTF is up with these murals?

Regarding the lockers, I doubt any airport in the developed world has them for security concerns (I know that Madrid's airport, for instance, got rid of theirs after the Madrid train bombings)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »

Was just in Denver on Monday... light rail is open.  I didn't use it, and it hasn't been open a week, so how smooth?  Who knows.  Although, it is Denver, so one would think it would have to be rather intuitive.

As far as your carry-on goes, I'd suggest packing a backpack instead of a roll-aboard if you can.  There are no lockers at DIA; although there is a typical airport sundries/gift store on the same level as security & baggage claim (500 level) on the east side of the terminal (outside the South security checkpoint) called 'Airport Baggage Center' that I believe has storage services.

Though not recommended, and not sure if you can even do this, you could also ask the gate agent at your point of departure to only check your bag to Denver, and then you could just leave it on the carousel and take your chances with the airline's baggage service or Lost & Found... just make sure you get back to DIA before L&F closes for the day.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
Was just in Denver on Monday... light rail is open.  I didn't use it, and it hasn't been open a week, so how smooth?  Who knows.  Although, it is Denver, so one would think it would have to be rather intuitive.

As far as your carry-on goes, I'd suggest packing a backpack instead of a roll-aboard if you can.  There are no lockers at DIA; although there is a typical airport sundries/gift store on the same level as security & baggage claim (500 level) on the east side of the terminal (outside the South security checkpoint) called 'Airport Baggage Center' that I believe has storage services.

Though not recommended, and not sure if you can even do this, you could also ask the gate agent at your point of departure to only check your bag to Denver, and then you could just leave it on the carousel and take your chances with the airline's baggage service or Lost & Found... just make sure you get back to DIA before L&F closes for the day.

If he is spending the day on Colfax he will want his rollaway luggage  with him. Nothing screams "I belong!" better on Colfax than a rollaway bag or shopping cart. I think most of the 'theaters' and head shops can accommodate the man who likes to live lightly.

Death on call

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »
Train is good to go.  They tested it 6 months before opening it, so I wouldn't expect any problems.  It's $9/each way - but I think you can buy a regional day pass for the same price, and quick from the airport to downtown.

For baggage - as Benny mentions, the Airport Baggage Center may be option, but call them first - sounds like the service may have been discontinued. 

Union station doesn't have storage either, but Coors Field has a storage option...
http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/col/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=guide
Claim Check - at Gates
Any permitted item may be claim checked at any one of the five Entry Gates (Gates A, B, C, D and E). All items will be inspected. Gate Staff will provide Guests with claim check tags to recover items upon leaving the ballpark. Select prohibited items may be claim checked at the five Entry Gates. However, all hard-sided coolers and containers, regardless of size, and all bags and containers larger than 16"x 16"x 8" may only be claim checked, after inspection, at the tent located outside Gate E on the Wynkoop Walkway. Guests assume liability for all items left in storage.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »

Train is good to go.  They tested it 6 months before opening it, so I wouldn't expect any problems.  It's $9/each way - but I think you can buy a regional day pass for the same price, and quick from the airport to downtown.

For baggage - as Benny mentions, the Airport Baggage Center may be option, but call them first - sounds like the service may have been discontinued. 

Union station doesn't have storage either, but Coors Field has a storage option...

Awesome, thanks much for all of the information.  Much appreciated.

Until earlier today I forgot that Rick Bridich's (MUHS math teacher) son is the GM of the Rockies.  Had I thought about it earlier I probably should've gotten in contact with Mr. Bridich.  Oh well...

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »
Awesome, thanks much for all of the information.  Much appreciated.

Until earlier today I forgot that Rick Bridich's (MUHS math teacher) son is the GM of the Rockies.  Had I thought about it earlier I probably should've gotten in contact with Mr. Bridich.  Oh well...

Sorry I'm coming to this thread a bit late...

The Train to the Plane is indeed now open (it is actually a commuter rail line, not light rail, although that is a commonly held misconception even in Denver).  I took it on Thursday morning on my way to DC for the weekend, and it was a smooth and easy process--the new station at DIA is awesome, feels like something you'd find in a European city.  All told, it took me around 25 mins to get to the airport from the station near my house in NE Denver.

On a few other points--I've never heard anything about the move from Stapleton to DIA had anything to do with snow--if anything, it seems to me that it snows more out at DIA then in the city.  I think it was more about projecting that the city was going to out grow Stapleton, and wanted to build a world-class airport, which it now is with some of the highest volumes of traffic in the US.  And, the redevelopment of the old Stapleton airport has added a ton of housing stock in one of the best "new urbanism" developments in the country (even if it is a little Pleasantville-ish).

Under the current Hancock regime, the city has finally worked it out with the neighboring municipalities to start developing more of the land around Pena Blvd to turn it into an "aerotropolis"--the idea is a self-sufficient sector of the city that can host conferences, events, etc. without people having to go all the way into the city.  With that plus the opening of the rail line, I think you'll see the area along Pena fully developed in the next 10-20 years into some mixed use developments (already a lot of residential in the area, but I think the rail line will also bring some greater density to the area.)

feedback