collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: iOS 7  (Read 10642 times)

wadesworld

• All American
iOS 7
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
How fracking lame is it? Wow. Just awful.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

nyg

• All American
Re: iOS 7
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »
Took and hour and a half to download my phone and Ipad.

Turned my phone to a flowerly/pastel type feel.  Ugh......

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
Took and hour and a half to download my phone and Ipad.

Turned my phone to a flowerly/pastel type feel.  Ugh......

Yup.  Hurts to look at.  Everything about it looks and feels gimmicky.  How apps open and close from the home screen, the colors and app buttons, etc.  It feels like they had a nationwide contest for kindergardeners and chose the best crayon drawing of the iphone.  Very disappointing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
Yup.  Hurts to look at.  Everything about it looks and feels gimmicky.  How apps open and close from the home screen, the colors and app buttons, etc.  It feels like they had a nationwide contest for kindergardeners and chose the best crayon drawing of the iphone.  Very disappointing.

Isn't that what you want from IOS? KitKat is only a few months away..tops...
But I like to throw handfuls...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »
Isn't that what you want from IOS? KitKat is only a few months away..tops...

KitKat should be a nice upgrade.. but I'm really holding out hope that 5.0 comes out sometime early next year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
brewcity will chime in shortly. He's getting in a few games of angry birds and a catching up on 2 broke girls.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:09:36 PM »
KitKat should be a nice upgrade.. but I'm really holding out hope that 5.0 comes out sometime early next year.

Yeah, I am more looking to upgrade my Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5 in October if the rumors are true. Just can never be happy with the device I have.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:39:58 PM »
I just don't understand the need to totally redo the design of a phone that you really couldn't ask to have anymore success than it already had with the design it had since the beginning? I get the need to update the software and add different features but why change the entire design? You used to have very one else chasing Apple and trying to take their ideas. Now it seems like they turned the iPhone into a ripped off Galaxy S4 or whatever (based off of the little bit I've seen friends using that phone). Nothing wrong with the S4 but when you're the iPhone you don't need to try to become the S4.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:49:21 AM »
We've been told at work absolutely do not download it. A message went out to all employees yesterday. 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:13:56 AM »
You should contact Apple to see if you can get your free back.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 01:15:13 AM »
I just don't understand the need to totally redo the design of a phone that you really couldn't ask to have anymore success than it already had with the design it had since the beginning? I get the need to update the software and add different features but why change the entire design? You used to have very one else chasing Apple and trying to take their ideas. Now it seems like they turned the iPhone into a ripped off Galaxy S4 or whatever (based off of the little bit I've seen friends using that phone). Nothing wrong with the S4 but when you're the iPhone you don't need to try to become the S4.

Apparently, they took a page out of microsoft's book.

I've noticed that they insist on redoing their software and making it worse in every iteration.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »
Yeah, I am more looking to upgrade my Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5 in October if the rumors are true. Just can never be happy with the device I have.

HTC One, never had a better device.  Thing is stunning.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
So should I not download/install it?  I usually wait until the next patch comes out to work out all the bugs anyawy.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 10:01:41 AM »
HTC One, never had a better device.  Thing is stunning.

This. I love my One.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
So should I not download/install it?  I usually wait until the next patch comes out to work out all the bugs anyawy.

It's awful.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »
Galaxy S3! whoop whoop.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »
The good news is Apple fixed the podcasts app by adding playlist capability to it.

The bad news is the podcasts app is now required to listen to podcasts.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
I downloaded it for my wifes ipod touch...the file size was 1.1 gb! That's unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Thankfully she has the 64 gb model. I know of two people who have 16gb phones who couldn't even download (although they both had a ridiculous amount of pictures stored).

Nexus FTW

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
I downloaded it for my wifes ipod touch...the file size was 1.1 gb! That's unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. Thankfully she has the 64 gb model. I know of two people who have 16gb phones who couldn't even download (although they both had a ridiculous amount of pictures stored).

Nexus FTW

Yeah - I have an 8 GB iPhone 4 (which is really closer to 6 GB in actual storage), so I'm not even going to try. I'd basically have to take half of my stuff off it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
switched to an android last weekend.  everything's coming up milhouse.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »
switched to an android last weekend.  everything's coming up milhouse.

You should see a proctologist for that or get a tube of Preparation H.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »
Yeah - I have an 8 GB iPhone 4 (which is really closer to 6 GB in actual storage), so I'm not even going to try. I'd basically have to take half of my stuff off it.

I don't know why they still sell phones with such low memory.  I have 32GB and it is too small.  The user experience has to be poor on 8, except for the most basic stuff... Even the 16 GB have to be bumped up, hopefully Google and Apple double the base to 32 GB next year and start to top out at 128 and 256.  I'd like to keep more photos and videos on my phone.  I don't do cloud storage backup for videos, as I don't want to pay for cloud memory continuously for the rest of my life...

With phone cameras adding megapixels,  they just use more and more memory.  I think we have had enough of the megapixel upgrades, I hope.  The nokia with something like 48 megapixels has to be a memory wh0re.

iOS 7 doesn't appeal to me visually with the color palette.  I imagine it may appeal to younger people, funner people  :P, and females... more than the average more serious unfun guy like me.

I think the software usability is a nice upgrade in iOS 7... EXCEPT for my pet peeve:  The list view in calendars is hard to find and doesn't stay in list view (it is part of the search page)... and the calendar view in the Notification Center doesn't have a true list view, it is just the next 6 hours... i like to see what i have on for the day in one quick glance, and I don't need blank spaces for each unfilled time slot.... other than that, I am okay with the update and prefer it to the previous iterations. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »

It says it is 752MB download on my iPhone, but on my iPad2 it says 649MB download.   ?-(

One of my colleagues didn't listen to our IT department and updated.  Now she is without email from our servers and you can't reinstall the old iOS.  We've been told to wait for clearance.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
I don't know why they still sell phones with such low memory.  I have 32GB and it is too small.  The user experience has to be poor on 8, except for the most basic stuff... Even the 16 GB have to be bumped up, hopefully Google and Apple double the base to 32 GB next year and start to top out at 128 and 256.  I'd like to keep more photos and videos on my phone.  I don't do cloud storage backup for videos, as I don't want to pay for cloud memory continuously for the rest of my life...

With phone cameras adding megapixels,  they just use more and more memory.  I think we have had enough of the megapixel upgrades, I hope.  The nokia with something like 48 megapixels has to be a memory wh0re.

iOS 7 doesn't appeal to me visually with the color palette.  I imagine it may appeal to younger people, funner people  :P, and females... more than the average more serious unfun guy like me.

I think the software usability is a nice upgrade in iOS 7... EXCEPT for my pet peeve:  The list view in calendars is hard to find and doesn't stay in list view (it is part of the search page)... and the calendar view in the Notification Center doesn't have a true list view, it is just the next 6 hours... i like to see what i have on for the day in one quick glance, and I don't need blank spaces for each unfilled time slot.... other than that, I am okay with the update and prefer it to the previous iterations.  

As for the storage thing - it can be a pain in the butt sometimes. But I keep all of my photos in the cloud. I store no music locally; I pay $7 a month for Spotify and stream whatever music I want to my phone. So sometimes I hit the limit, but its not terrible. Asking for an extra gig for the iOS upgrade is tough though.

I am gonna get the 5s once the crazy lines die down in a couple weeks. So its not worth upgrading the old iPhone 4 from that perspective either.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
Technology has me feeling really old lately. I need to step my game up. Was a decent programmer and hacker in the late 80's, but times have changed.

On the iphone.. I have a 4S 16GB.. My 2 years w/AT&T is up in a few weeks. Gazelle will give me $180 for the 4S 16GB. So, I figure I'll probably get a 5S 16GB for $200 and sell the old one to Gazelle.

I've heard Amazon pays a bit more (in Amazon.com credit, which is fine for me)... any other good options out there? I sold a phone to Gazelle before and they sent me a box in the mail.. made it really, really easy for me.

My biggest reason for getting a 5s is I'm hoping for overall speed/processing to be a bit faster, which supposedly it is. The rest of it.. blah blah mostly. I use the web, listen to some mp3's, check gmail and use a small number of free apps.

Need a good case for the 5s too. Have this leather-like cheap thing I bought for the 4s. It flips up to reveal the screen. (when it's closed it connects w/ a magnet.) LOVE IT and they're sold on ebay for about $5. Need to find something similar for 5s.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
Technology has me feeling really old lately. I need to step my game up. Was a decent programmer and hacker in the late 80's, but times have changed.

On the iphone.. I have a 4S 16GB.. My 2 years w/AT&T is up in a few weeks. Gazelle will give me $180 for the 4S 16GB. So, I figure I'll probably get a 5S 16GB for $200 and sell the old one to Gazelle.

I've heard Amazon pays a bit more (in Amazon.com credit, which is fine for me)... any other good options out there? I sold a phone to Gazelle before and they sent me a box in the mail.. made it really, really easy for me.

My biggest reason for getting a 5s is I'm hoping for overall speed/processing to be a bit faster, which supposedly it is. The rest of it.. blah blah mostly. I use the web, listen to some mp3's, check gmail and use a small number of free apps.

Need a good case for the 5s too. Have this leather-like cheap thing I bought for the 4s. It flips up to reveal the screen. (when it's closed it connects w/ a magnet.) LOVE IT and they're sold on ebay for about $5. Need to find something similar for 5s.

Amazon, Gazelle, and a direct trade-in with Apple are your best choices. But Apple pays the worst of the 3, so I'd stick with Gazelle or Amazon.

Biggest difference from 4S to 5S is screen size and speed. Its a 4G phone (faster network) and has a much faster processor. Screen size is 4 inches on the 5/5S vs. 3.5 inches on the 4S

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »

I just sold my old 3GS 16GB for $26 a few days ago.  Couldn't believe I still had it laying around and that someone would actually pay for it.  By the way, Gazelle only offered $10 for it, but when I went through the Apple site, the company they work with gave me $26.  You might want to see if you can get more.  I had to include the charger and the USB cord as well.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »
brewcity will chime in shortly. He's getting in a few games of angry birds and a catching up on 2 broke girls.

This whole schtick really isn't working for you. I suggest a new gimmick.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
As long as you have an iphone5 it is great. Lots of improvements. Control Center, improved multi-tasking and new camera functions are outstanding.

I wouldn't upgrade on a 4 or 4s as some of the new functions won't work anyway.

If it's going to be used on the job - the iPhone 5 is a must have. If you do upgrade your 4 or 4s, I'd wait til 7.01 comes out to do it. That way most of the bugs are worked out.

iOS5 was brutal when it came out if you used Outlook Exchange on the job. Accepting meetings on the phone would destroy your calendar on the PC and Microsoft and apple blamed each other for 6 months before it was patched. Haven't seen any such problems with iOS7 despite Chico's story (not saying it isn't true).

GOO

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:55 PM »
Works great on a 4s. Most of the changes are present. Very snappy OS as well. It is a definite upgrade must for a 4s.
I'm holding out until next year for the iPhone 6, which should have bigger memory options and a bigger screen.
Maybe I'll get an iPad this fall once I see the new ones in October.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »
Updated my iPad2 today, took about 1.5 hours and that was on a 64GB unit with plenty of space to spare.

Overall, not real crazy about the look, but maybe it will grow on me.  Don't notice any performance issues, though it did reset my ESPN Live app settings which was not cool.

We hate change   http://gizmodo.com/why-we-hate-change-1263949872

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:28:49 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »
I put iOS 7 on my 4s. I'm fine with it. Calendar is wonky. Changed a couple of things (background auto refresh of apps... removed the motion weirdness thing)... and it's fine. Will probably get the 5s in a few weeks.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »
I put iOS 7 on my 4s. I'm fine with it. Calendar is wonky. Changed a couple of things (background auto refresh of apps... removed the motion weirdness thing)... and it's fine. Will probably get the 5s in a few weeks.

Exact same.  Also, I listen to lots of podcasts, so I'm hoping for some improvement in management of those.

On the iPad, had to dump some music to download (I have a 32; mistake).  Haven't played much with it, but seems pretty harmless

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »
Has anyone else heard the rumor that the next generation iPad is coming out October 15?  I've always been an Android fan, but I won a $500 Apple gift card from a Chicago tv station, so I thought it might be time to retire my 2 year old Galaxy Tab 2 tablet for an iPad.  In doing research I came across some people saying the newest, latest & greatest version is coming out 10/15, 25% thinner and lighter than current one, and twice as fast.  Also read that due to the current competition they may lower the price by $100, ie get the 32gb for the price of the current 16gb.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »
Has anyone else heard the rumor that the next generation iPad is coming out October 15?  I've always been an Android fan, but I won a $500 Apple gift card from a Chicago tv station, so I thought it might be time to retire my 2 year old Galaxy Tab 2 tablet for an iPad.  In doing research I came across some people saying the newest, latest & greatest version is coming out 10/15, 25% thinner and lighter than current one, and twice as fast.  Also read that due to the current competition they may lower the price by $100, ie get the 32gb for the price of the current 16gb.

Sell the gift card for $400 and buy a Nexus 7 and pocket the difference. Win win.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »
Sell the gift card for $400 and buy a Nexus 7 and pocket the difference. Win win.

Been thinking about something like that.  I also have a Galaxy S3 and a Nook Tablet hacked to also run Android, so I thought an iPad would give me access to Apple apps that I can't use now.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:56:05 PM by mr.MUskie »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »

How do you get rid of the "motion weirdness thing?"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
How do you get rid of the "motion weirdness thing?"

Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion - TURN ON.

Reduce Motion - "Reduce the motion of the user interface, including the parallax effect of icons and alerts (i.e., the motion weirdness thing)"

If this answer helped, please send me $4.24 via Paypal.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 09:18:37 PM »
wow, motion sickness
MU15

GOO

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »

Yes, sometime in October they are supposed to announce the new ipads.  I think you gotta go with either Android or Apple and just stick with it. Apple offering the fee iworks apps that work well in on icloud will be a nice selling point.  Easier to use than Google's versions.