[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Portal Transfers  (Read 168909 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2023 Portal Transfers
« Reply #600 on: April 05, 2023, 09:18:40 AM »
Taking minutes from some other player does not "bench" a player. When Gold or Jop are on the floor did they "bench" Oso or Omax? Did Chase or Sean "bench" Ty, Kam or Stevie? So how would the best offensive rebounder on the transfer portal " bench" anyone?

We already have 12 scholarship players. Shaka will probably use a 9 man rotation next season. 10 man rotation at very most. So at least 2 players and likely a 3rd are already "benched" in the sense that they are outside the rotation next season. If you add a 13th scholarship player who is good enough to be in that main rotation, that means the 9th or 10th guy who was going to be in the rotation will now be outside of that rotation, effectively "benching" them.

Now that is life in the big city. But my guess is that Shaka will not add a guy just to add a guy. Good news is that we are in a position where we can be picky and he should have no shortage of players interested in playing for a preseason top 10 team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #601 on: April 05, 2023, 09:21:14 AM »
David Jones of St. Johns (and formerly DePaul) into the portal--he was their 2nd leading scorer at 13.2 ppg after Soriano.

Doesn't he have to sit out a year because it's his second transfer?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #602 on: April 05, 2023, 09:23:12 AM »
But my guess is that Shaka will not add a guy just to add a guy. Good news is that we are in a position where we can be picky and he should have no shortage of players interested in playing for a preseason top 10 team.

Shaka said in that interview with Fanta that everyone else in the conference will probably be adding from the portal "except maybe us."  Unless someone unexpected leaves, there's no reason to add.

Honestly, the best move might be to fill the roster spot with another freshman that can sit most of the year and develop.  Or a sit-out transfer, though there aren't many of those.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #603 on: April 05, 2023, 09:28:41 AM »
Think it's at least worth considering that Shaka may target a transfer that has to sit a year.  Covid eligibility kinda throws a wrench into the works, but getting someone acclimated to the system for a year so that they're more familiar with their role within it once a potential combination of TKO/OMax/Oso leave wouldn't be the worst thing.  I know Sean/Jop/Ben are kinda slotted to fill those roles now, but more competition wouldn't be a bad thing. 

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #604 on: April 05, 2023, 09:52:07 AM »
Quote from: Its DJOver link=topic=64559.msg1543768#msg1543768 date=
Think it's at least worth considering that Shaka may target a transfer that has to sit a year.  Covid eligibility kinda throws a wrench into the works, but getting someone acclimated to the system for a year so that they're more familiar with their role within it once a potential combination of TKO/OMax/Oso leave wouldn't be the worst thing.  I know Sean/Jop/Ben are kinda slotted to fill those roles now, but more competition wouldn't be a bad thing.

You alluded to the problem with this approach:  Kolek, Omax and Oso could each stay two more years if they exercise their COVID years. 

If you accept that they're welcome to stay (as they surely would be) and they choose to do so, it means we're already one over the scholarship limit for 2024 when you include Damarius Owens. Add Royce Parnham or Isiah Abraham and we're two over.  Now you add a sit-out transfer (or even a player with more than one year of eligibility remaining) who would put MU at 3 over.  I don't see it happening.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #605 on: April 05, 2023, 09:53:42 AM »
We already have 12 scholarship players. Shaka will probably use a 9 man rotation next season. 10 man rotation at very most. So at least 2 players and likely a 3rd are already "benched" in the sense that they are outside the rotation next season. If you add a 13th scholarship player who is good enough to be in that main rotation, that means the 9th or 10th guy who was going to be in the rotation will now be outside of that rotation, effectively "benching" them.

Now that is life in the big city. But my guess is that Shaka will not add a guy just to add a guy. Good news is that we are in a position where we can be picky and he should have no shortage of players interested in playing for a preseason top 10 team.
Disagree….as the roster currently stands, there will certainly be a shorter list of interested players than some other teams due to the lack of playing time that can be offered.
Players desire to go to a school where they can play>>>>playing on a top ten team with limited minutes.

I can see Shaka adding a D2/NAIA type player with something to prove or a 5th year/grad player who would be happy in a limited role. But there isn’t going to be alot of 6’10” studs knocking down the door to play for 12 minutes/game. Shaka recruited these players on the team and isn’t going to recruit over those players for one year through the portal. He has said he would rather put his energy and efforts into the players he has.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #606 on: April 05, 2023, 09:56:54 AM »
You alluded to the problem with this approach:  Kolek, Omax and Oso could each stay two more years if they exercise their COVID years. 

If you accept that they're welcome to stay (as they surely would be) and they choose to do so, it means we're already one over the scholarship limit for 2024 when you include Damarius Owens. Add Royce Parnham or Isiah Abraham and we're two over.  Now you add a sit-out transfer (or even a player with more than one year of eligibility remaining) who would put MU at 3 over.  I don't see it happening.

I would put the odds of all three staying two more years as incredibly low, especially when two of them are already starting to appear on the tail ends of mock drafts. 

Always be recruiting, the scholarship situation will work itself out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #607 on: April 05, 2023, 10:25:45 AM »
Disagree….as the roster currently stands, there will certainly be a shorter list of interested players than some other teams due to the lack of playing time that can be offered.
Players desire to go to a school where they can play>>>>playing on a top ten team with limited minutes.

I can see Shaka adding a D2/NAIA type player with something to prove or a 5th year/grad player who would be happy in a limited role. But there isn’t going to be alot of 6’10” studs knocking down the door to play for 12 minutes/game. Shaka recruited these players on the team and isn’t going to recruit over those players for one year through the portal. He has said he would rather put his energy and efforts into the players he has.

There are plenty of players who prioritize maximizing playing time over playing for a contender. There are also plenty of players who prioritize playing for a contender over maximizing playing time. There are even players who could maximize playing time while playing for a contender.

We are fortunate to be in a position where we are picky not desperate.
TAMU

panda

• All American
« Reply #608 on: April 05, 2023, 10:38:09 AM »
There are plenty of players who prioritize maximizing playing time over playing for a contender. There are also plenty of players who prioritize playing for a contender over maximizing playing time. There are even players who could maximize playing time while playing for a contender.

We are fortunate to be in a position where we are picky not desperate.

Probably the main reason Warren Washington and manny bates didn’t come here to play.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #609 on: April 05, 2023, 10:46:56 AM »
Probably the main reason Warren Washington and manny bates didn’t come here to play.

Probably. We also weren't projected to be a contender this time last season.
TAMU

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #610 on: April 05, 2023, 11:11:33 AM »
Doesn't he have to sit out a year because it's his second transfer?

Maybe. Will ask for a waiver bc he didn’t want to be around strippers
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #611 on: April 05, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »
"Schools that have reached out on 6-foot-10 @SetonHallMBB transfer Tyrese Samuel

SEC (Florida)
PAC-12’s (Colorado amongst others)
ACC (Wake Forest, Virginia amongst others)
Big 12 (K-State, Oklahoma amongst others)
Big East (most schools)"
VIOLENCE!

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #612 on: April 05, 2023, 11:44:16 AM »
"Schools that have reached out on 6-foot-10 @SetonHallMBB transfer Tyrese Samuel

SEC (Florida)
PAC-12’s (Colorado amongst others)
ACC (Wake Forest, Virginia amongst others)
Big 12 (K-State, Oklahoma amongst others)
Big East (most schools)"

I have a friend who is high up in SH's Athletic Department. He knows Samuel will not be taking a reduced roll and wants to go somewhere that he would be the starting center.

He also said he wouldn't be surprised if he ended up back with Willard.

panda

• All American
« Reply #613 on: April 05, 2023, 11:52:01 AM »
Probably. We also weren't projected to be a contender this time last season.

Neither were Butler or ASU. Both ended up as starters on their respective teams.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #614 on: April 05, 2023, 12:49:17 PM »
Kerr Kriisa commits to Huggy and WVU. Woulda been interesting to see him at X, but oh well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #615 on: April 05, 2023, 01:08:28 PM »
Neither were Butler or ASU. Both ended up as starters on their respective teams.

I'm aware. Maybe if a contender had wanted them it would have been different. Maybe not.
TAMU

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #616 on: April 05, 2023, 01:08:32 PM »
Kerr Kriisa commits to Huggy and WVU. Woulda been interesting to see him at X, but oh well.

Huggy trotted out Jordan McCabe as a starter for a surprisingly long time, so I don't think Kriisa's low shooting percentage will be an issue.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #617 on: April 05, 2023, 01:20:02 PM »
Ugonna Onyenso, Kentucky, 7ft, 240, top 30 2022 recruit.  Like Reid from Gonzaga, great size and highly ranked recruits out of high school. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #618 on: April 05, 2023, 01:44:50 PM »
Always be recruiting, the scholarship situation will work itself out.

This. Always this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2023, 06:52:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/1643688752378781719?t=6peMcIhL89DhndkOQYiT2w&s=19

"We've now reached the portion of the portal where players that are staying have their people reaching out to programs to let them know the number that will need to be beaten to get them to change their mind on staying."

College Hoops will be completely ruined at this rate.  At least ruined in a way that makes it less entertaining for the fan. Good for the money earners.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #620 on: April 05, 2023, 06:58:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/ebosshoops/status/1643688752378781719?t=6peMcIhL89DhndkOQYiT2w&s=19

"We've now reached the portion of the portal where players that are staying have their people reaching out to programs to let them know the number that will need to be beaten to get them to change their mind on staying."

College Hoops will be completely ruined at this rate.  At least ruined in a way that makes it less entertaining for the fan. Good for the money earners.

Easy solution.  Make them employees
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #621 on: April 05, 2023, 07:16:20 PM »

Why does this ruin anything?
TAMU

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #622 on: April 05, 2023, 07:34:46 PM »
Easy solution.  Make them employees

2 year contracts are the only way this will work moving forward imo

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #623 on: April 05, 2023, 07:52:32 PM »
all of this speculation is a lot of fun, but I like MU's team going into 2023-4 as it is.  I figure that team would beat any of the final 4 in 2 of 3 games.  They played one bad game on the wrong day in a single elimination tournament.  OK, move on... that's still one heckufa team.
I agree with this. Any transfer in could ruin the team's chemistry.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #624 on: April 05, 2023, 07:57:29 PM »
Badgers get a "no longer silent" commitment Noah Reynolds, a guard from Wyoming.