[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Portal Transfers  (Read 168741 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: 2023 Portal Transfers
« Reply #300 on: March 29, 2023, 09:00:56 PM »
With O-Max and Ben on the roster, I do think targeting the better foreign nationals as transfer targets (like Evbuomwan or Khalifa) is smart.

We really have a lot to sell this year. International trip, Maui, top-10 team if the rest of the roster sticks, there's a big opportunity here.

Charlotte transfer Aly Khalifa tells TPR that he has received interest from:

Florida
SMU
Memphis
Vanderbilt
Butler
WSU
Xavier
Wichita State
Colorado
Clemson
Marquette
Charleston
BYU
San Francisco
South Carolina

Averaged 11.7 PPG, 6.3 RPG, and 2.7 APG this season!

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1641245921051639808?t=E3Wfc7wvmoRIKLgvBPd4-g&s=19
VIOLENCE!

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2023, 09:22:51 PM »
Charlotte transfer Aly Khalifa tells TPR that he has received interest from:

Florida
SMU
Memphis
Vanderbilt
Butler
WSU
Xavier
Wichita State
Colorado
Clemson
Marquette
Charleston
BYU
San Francisco
South Carolina

Averaged 11.7 PPG, 6.3 RPG, and 2.7 APG this season!

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1641245921051639808?t=E3Wfc7wvmoRIKLgvBPd4-g&s=19

There you have it. Looks like we’re at least going to make contact with some top portal guys this summer. Let’s see what Shaka can do

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2023, 09:33:35 PM »
I think ideally you go with a grad transfer that opens up a scholarship next year again, or a freshman transfer that gives you 3 years & is less likely to make a second transfer under the new rules.

What are these new rules you speak of? #Lies
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #303 on: March 29, 2023, 09:33:45 PM »
CBS ranking of portal prospects

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/LongFormArticle/College-Basketball-Transfer-Portal-Rankings-247Sports-Top-25-Taran-Armstrong-JJ-Starling-Jameer-Nelson-Jr-Fardaws-Aimaq-Khalif-Battle-207516257/#null

Was this article written by Armstrong’s brother or cousin?  He’s a decent player by 11/4/4 in a lower level conference for a guard with no 3 pt shot to speak of and who didn’t even make the 8 player first team all conference doesn’t exactly scream “second best player in the portal” behind only a likely lottery pick.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2023, 10:15:22 PM »
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jamarion-sharp-1.html

I like the idea of a 7'5" Kur at the back of our defense
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2023, 10:51:33 PM »

Kur on steroids.  Twice as many BPG and 2x DPOY in CUSA.  Certainly would be an answer to Clingan and Kalkbrenner

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2023, 04:43:25 AM »

What are we giving up on offense when he's on the floor? Does he clog up the lane so we cant get to the rim? IMO, Shaka gets a guy from the portal who fits our current system.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2023, 06:23:41 AM »
What are we giving up on offense when he's on the floor? Does he clog up the lane so we cant get to the rim? IMO, Shaka gets a guy from the portal who fits our current system.

Kur fit in our system just fine. Sharp would play a similar role, though I imagine he would play less minutes
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2023, 07:18:06 AM »
What are we giving up on offense when he's on the floor?

If he shoots 60% on his dunks, we're already getting more offense from him than we got from Kuath.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2023, 07:19:33 AM »
Kur fit in our system just fine. Sharp would play a similar role, though I imagine he would play less minutes
Did he though?Our KenPom numbers are better this year for both offense (64 vs 7) and defense.  (55 vs 43). Alot has to do with the improvement of our current players, but some has to do with the offense had more room to flow without a big center in the middle. I thought our offense was stagnant last year when Kur was in the game.Could be my perception vs reality. I'll trust Shaka, obviously, but I wouldn't be surpised if we get a big wing, or stretch 4/5 in the portal.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2023, 08:04:17 AM »
Did he though?Our KenPom numbers are better this year for both offense (64 vs 7) and defense.  (55 vs 43). Alot has to do with the improvement of our current players, but some has to do with the offense had more room to flow without a big center in the middle. I thought our offense was stagnant last year when Kur was in the game.Could be my perception vs reality. I'll trust Shaka, obviously, but I wouldn't be surpised if we get a big wing, or stretch 4/5 in the portal.

Interesting points.  I don’t know I want a guy like Sharp taking minutes from Gold
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2023, 09:10:50 AM »
I would be pretty surprised if Shaka goes after a wing in the portal barring an unexpected exit.

If things stand as is, a big will be coming.

The question then becomes, does Shaka go after a guy Sharp- defense first rebounding and blocking centric, or a guy like Khalifa- wouldn’t miss a beat offensively and could even improve the offense with his shooting ability and versatility, but would likely not improve the defensive end.

What would scoopers prefer? What do scoopers think Shaka will prefer?

It might just be whoever bites first or fits more personality wise, but assuming either in this type of mold is willing to come.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2023, 09:16:25 AM »
I would be pretty surprised if Shaka goes after a wing in the portal barring an unexpected exit.

The question then becomes, does Shaka go after a guy Sharp- defense first rebounding and blocking centric, or a guy like Khalifa- wouldn’t miss a beat offensively and could even improve the offense with his shooting ability and versatility, but would likely not improve the defensive end.

It might just be whoever bites first or fits more personality wise, but assuming either in this type of mold is willing to come.

If* roster stays the same, and we are dead set on bringing in a guy, my only preference is someone who can contribute right away. No Wrighstils or Itajere-like projects. Get a Sharp or Khalifa or whoever ends up in the portal that at least has performed at a high level in a respectable league.

Barring major overhaul we should be a legit contender next year. That should help

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2023, 09:17:35 AM »
I think it'll be a Wrightsil-like addition. Not NAIA, but a guy willing to take a jump up in level and do some dirty work on the glass.

Khalifa is interesting, but I don't think he'd be able to function effectively in a switching defense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2023, 09:55:48 AM »
I want a knock down shooter with a quick release.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2023, 10:22:51 AM »
I want a knock down shooter with a quick release.

6'8" Moses Wood

He would be a nice pairing with Joplin at the 4 should OMax depart for the NBA.
VIOLENCE!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2023, 10:36:44 AM »
How about another Robert Jackson?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »

Yes, he did. The efficiency problem wasn't the high efficiency, low usage rotation center, it was the lower efficiency, high usage shot dominant wings in Lewis & Morsell.

Last year we wondered if we could survive on offense without them, but their departure was honestly the reason our offense thrived.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2023, 10:46:21 AM »
From our old friend Todd Rosiak, on someone NOT going into the portal.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uwm/2023/03/27/bj-freeman-shuns-transfer-portal-will-return-to-uw-milwaukee-panthers/70054026007/
Yep, pretty exciting. Glad I was wrong. I thought he would transfer up.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #319 on: March 30, 2023, 10:52:42 AM »
Yes, he did. The efficiency problem wasn't the high efficiency, low usage rotation center, it was the lower efficiency, high usage shot dominant wings in Lewis & Morsell.

Last year we wondered if we could survive on offense without them, but their departure was honestly the reason our offense thrived.

That, and Kolek improving big time.  Much better shooting numbers at all three levels, higher assist rate, and lower turnover rate.  Tremendous across the board improvement.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #320 on: March 30, 2023, 10:53:59 AM »
Shaka to contacts in the portal:

"Out of the 7300 minutes we had as a team in 2022-23, we could return our top 9 players and 7200 of these minutes.  We have 4 returning frontcourt players who we expect to see continued development from, so we might add a player, but the player has to understand there will be limited playing time so its has to be a special person who can buy into the team concept."
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #321 on: March 30, 2023, 11:09:42 AM »
Shaka to contacts in the portal:

"Out of the 7300 minutes we had as a team in 2022-23, we could return our top 9 players and 7200 of these minutes.  We have 4 returning frontcourt players who we expect to see continued development from, so we might add a player, but the player has to understand there will be limited playing time so its has to be a special person who can buy into the team concept and not to expect to see much playing time."

Shaka made it very clear in that marathon multi-episode podcast with Gottlieb that he really focuses on culture when recruiting and that he's gotten really good at knowing what he's looking for. So, I trust that if Shaka picks someone up, it'll be a fit. I think Wrightsil is a great example of this. Even though he did not play, I think he was a big contributor to the team's culture and attitude.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we're going to return that top nine. There's one that worries me, but every day that goes by without another entry into the portal is a good day as far as I'm concerned.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #322 on: March 30, 2023, 11:42:37 AM »

Exactly Brew. Anyone who suggested that we might be better off without Lewis and Morsell turned out to be prescient.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #323 on: March 30, 2023, 11:58:14 AM »

Would OMax leaving be considered expected or unexpected?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #324 on: March 30, 2023, 12:06:16 PM »

I'm not sure how anyone would think our offense would be better with a player like Kuath in, as opposed to someone in the Oso mold.