Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's Nip This Is the Bud Now  (Read 12773 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Let's Nip This Is the Bud Now
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:49:59 AM »
I've seen this posted a few places. Figured I might as well say something now while everyone is gnashing their teeth anyway.

If Wojo leads this team to another 5 seed or better next season, and then loses in the first round, he will not be fired. You can rage and moan about it, but it simply will not happen (barring off the court issues). When is the last time that a coach was fired after earning a 5 seed or better in the NCAAs without off the court issues? Has it happened in the modern era? If it has, when is the last time a coach was fired after leading a team to a 5 seed or better two years in a row? Marquette is not going to fire a guy who for 97% of the season had a top 20 team because the last 3% was an upset loss.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Let's Nip This Is the Bud Now
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »
That statement is 100% correct.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:54:43 AM »
Not to nitpick, but is your math right? 97% to 3%. Seems a bit off.

You’re probably right about Wojo. But he’ll be a dead man walking in terms of public opinion if that happens.
No Finish Line

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »
One of the things that really frustrates me with Wojo is the fredom he gives these kids to shoot.  I understand wanting to instill confidence and being a players coach, but we have kids that cant shoot or take horrible shots.  Yet it never changes.  Some coachs take the “well ur open for a reason” approach, wojo seems to take the “if ur open shoot it approach”. Brendan baileys instant jack fresh off the bench in the last minute of the first half is one of hundreds of examples.  2-4 point game marcus has sat down.  We should be working to get multipke ball reversals and a shot for Sam while burning a bit of clock. Instead Joe C bring ball across half court n flips it to bailey who jacks a fading off balance deep 3.  Horrible.  Happens 5-10 times a game with this team.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »
Not to nitpick, but is your math right? 97% to 3%. Seems a bit off.

You’re probably right about Wojo. But he’ll be a dead man walking in terms of public opinion if that happens.

We played 34 games. After 33 games the selection committee said we were one of the top 20 teams (17th to be exact). 33/34 = 97%.

Public opinion is overrated.
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 09:04:06 AM »
We played 34 games. After 33 games the selection committee said we were one of the top 20 teams (17th to be exact). 33/34 = 97%.

And so are your opinions. You believe Wojo is the be all. He ain't and deep inside you know it. But then again  some of us dont easily swallow the spin.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 09:05:06 AM »

thank you.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »
I've seen this posted a few places. Figured I might as well say something now while everyone is gnashing their teeth anyway.

If Wojo leads this team to another 5 seed or better next season, and then loses in the first round, he will not be fired. You can rage and moan about it, but it simply will not happen (barring off the court issues). When is the last time that a coach was fired after earning a 5 seed or better in the NCAAs without off the court issues? Has it happened in the modern era? If it has, when is the last time a coach was fired after leading a team to a 5 seed or better two years in a row? Marquette is not going to fire a guy who for 97% of the season had a top 20 team because the last 3% was an upset loss.

I agree.  But if you are able to be 5 seed but keep getting blown out in the first round on national TV, then eventually you stop getting the players that allow you to be a 5 seed.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »

But we didn’t start the season there and weren’t in the top twenty for a good part of the early season
No Finish Line

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »
Doesn't mean we can't call for it/talk about it. If what you said happens the majority of people will be calling for his job and rightfully so.

We're a basketball school who hasn't won a meaningful post-season game in 5 years? Got it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:25:59 AM by WolfganghisKhan »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
I agree.  But if you are able to be 5 seed but keep getting blown out in the first round on national TV, then eventually you stop getting the players that allow you to be a 5 seed.

When (if) that happens, then that is a different conversation.  Our roster has improved each year, next year's roster should have fewer holes in it than this year's.  Keep making progress.

The blowout stuff is such nonsense.  Did you win or not, survive and advance, etc, etc.  Was MU unable to land the three amigos because they were blown out against KU?  Of course not.  We lost to a Final Four team two years ago, we lost to the highlight reel not named Zion and squad yesterday.  Did Buzz getting blown out stop him?  Al?  Etc?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 09:35:05 AM »
But we didn’t start the season there and weren’t in the top twenty for a good part of the early season

I'm not talking about rankings. I'm saying that after 33 games, we were deemed to have the 17th best resume in the country.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
And so are your opinions. You believe Wojo is the be all. He ain't and deep inside you know it. But then again  some of us dont easily swallow the spin.

My opinions are worth nothing, I'm some bum who lives in middle of nowhere Texas.

I don't believe Wojo is the be all. I'm still not sold which is concerning. I'm just realistic. No one is going to fire a coach after earning a 5 seed.
TAMU

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 09:38:36 AM »
Sure, TAMU is probably right. But if Wojo continues to get embarrassed on a national stage, that's going to begin having implications on the program. There's great tape of how to beat us, recruits could de-prioritize MU, players could lose confidence in the coaching, etc. And in the long run, that's the kind of stuff that hurts the program.

I do think he improved this year, but he's still got a long way to go. The Big East will be better next year, so he's going to have to continue making strides to compete for a title again.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 09:41:32 AM »

Well that’s fine, but the committee was obviously wrong. No way they’re the 17th best team in country. They got destroyed by a mid major team. Big east was really bad this year and they lost 4/5 to end season. Howard went super man to beat K state and Buffalo. I’m waiting to see how Murray State plays against FSU to make a full opinion, but I see FSU winning that game.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 09:47:43 AM »
Marquette has decided at a very high level that basketball will be their identity and rallying cry.  It is what unites the University in nearly every public effort.  As such it needs to perform at a level higher than the average NCAA tourney participant.  In a way MU has created these "lofty expectations".   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »
Well that’s fine, but the committee was obviously wrong. No way they’re the 17th best team in country. They got destroyed by a mid major team. Big east was really bad this year and they lost 4/5 to end season. Howard went super man to beat K state and Buffalo. I’m waiting to see how Murray State plays against FSU to make a full opinion, but I see FSU winning that game.

The committee wasn't wrong, but I probably shouldn't have said top 20 team. Top 20 is a subjective judgement. What I do know is that however good our team actually was, they put together the 17th best resume after 33 games.
TAMU

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:20 AM »
OOOohhhhhHOOOHhhhhhhh.

I didn't know that the goal for Marquette was to get a ~5 seed every year. 

My bad.  Wojo can stay indefinitely.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:46 AM »
When (if) that happens, then that is a different conversation.  Our roster has improved each year, next year's roster should have fewer holes in it than this year's.  Keep making progress.

The blowout stuff is such nonsense.  Did you win or not, survive and advance, etc, etc.  Was MU unable to land the three amigos because they were blown out against KU?  Of course not.  We lost to a Final Four team two years ago, we lost to the highlight reel not named Zion and squad yesterday.  Did Buzz getting blown out stop him?  Al?  Etc?

You really think in terms of recruiting and reputation that a 20 point loss to mid-major is the same as losing at the buzzer to a Power 5 at large team? Come on.

Watching Morant make plays was not the embarrassing part. Watching guys take shots without any defenders within 15 was embarrassing. Shooting 32% from the floor, needing to get a stop and giving up an open basket, needing a bucket and turning the ball over, losing the 5th game out of the last 7 when we were favored... All those things are embarrassing. And they're not exactly uncommon in the Wojo era.

If you don't see why that would frustrate fans, then you need to set down the kool-aid for a minute.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »
I'm not talking about rankings. I'm saying that after 33 games, we were deemed to have the 17th best resume in the country.
Point is we weren’t considered one of the best 20 teams in the country for 97% of the season and in hindsight we never really were one of the best 20 teams in the country.
No Finish Line

GOO

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »
Team did well this year.  Yes a disappointing end to the season and end of conference.  But, we've all been looking ahead to next year, and I am in a big way (assuming all of the major pieces are back as expected).

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 09:54:08 AM »

Did those guys get blown out twice in the first round?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »
OOOohhhhhHOOOHhhhhhhh.

I didn't know that the goal for Marquette was to get a ~5 seed every year. 

My bad.  Wojo can stay indefinitely.

So....do you have an example of a coach getting fired after leading a team to a 5 seed in the NCAAs without off the court issues?

Personally, I would love a program that gets a 5 seed or better every season. Chances are more years than not that will result in a postseason run.
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
My opinions are worth nothing, I'm some bum who lives in middle of nowhere Texas.

I don't believe Wojo is the be all. I'm still not sold which is concerning. I'm just realistic. No one is going to fire a coach after earning a 5 seed.
Ok, then get realistic about one other thing , our performance is not trending up, as shown by last 2 years and in spite of the spin. Wojo blew a great season out his ass over the last few weeks, and the team flamed out fantastically. That is not trending upward. And it is on his ass.So quit the excuse making and dpin.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »
The committee wasn't wrong, but I probably shouldn't have said top 20 team. Top 20 is a subjective judgement. What I do know is that however good our team actually was, they put together the 17th best resume after 33 games.

Clearly something is wrong with the committee if Marquette was the 17th best resume and put up that performance. I guess you are just fine and dandy with being okay.

I on the other hand like geico, am not fine with just okay. I'm not okay with having the talent to he a top 10 team, lose 6 of the last 7, lose the big east championship then lose in the big east tournament then lose in the NCAA right away. If wojo pulls the exact same stunt next year he needs to go. Regardless if it's a 5 seed or not. What did we accomplish this year in tangible results? Get back to the NCAA tournament as a 1 and done? Were not depaul...  we should not be excited about this.

feedback