'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Updated ESPN Power Rankings  (Read 3049 times)

TempoFree

• Walk-On
Updated ESPN Power Rankings
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/45708/conference-power-rankings-big-east-7

3. Marquette: The Golden Eagles have yet to see the best of what the conference offers, but give Buzz Williams’ team credit: They keep winning while everyone else falters. Marquette has won four in a row.

- Granted MU lost both games, but I guess he doesn't consider playing at Syracuse and Georgetown "the best" of the conference even though they are ranked #1 and #2 on his list.

robmufan

• All American
Re: Updated ESPN Power Rankings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
besides those games, we have played anyone higher than 10th in the conference.  I think these next 2 of 3 games will be huge as South FL, Seton Hall are right near us in the standings.  Assuming they were to keep pace (which i don't see that happening), the tie breakers will be huge.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
Hm, I get what O'Neil is saying but Georgetown and Syracuse on the road is probably THE best of what the Big East has to offer.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
Hm, I get what O'Neil is saying but Georgetown and Syracuse on the road is probably THE best of what the Big East has to offer.

Two toughest games possible.

besides those games, we have played anyone higher than 10th in the conference.  I think these next 2 of 3 games will be huge as South FL, Seton Hall are right near us in the standings.  Assuming they were to keep pace (which i don't see that happening), the tie breakers will be huge.

USF isn't a top-tier Big East team, this shouldn't be a large struggle.

Seton Hall is the fight we will be having for 3rd/4th/5th with Cincy and UWV.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »
USF is a big, ong experienced team that plays a style MU has not played well against.  A huge factor here is that leading scorer Polanza (sp?) did not play in USF's first nine games.  They have been a different team since he returned to the lineup.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »
Warning: Do NOT take South Florida lightly. We are good enough to beat anybody and schizophrenic enough to lose to anybody. And USF has played pretty darn well since their top player returned to the lineup.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
Warning: Do NOT take South Florida lightly. We are good enough to beat anybody and schizophrenic enough to lose to anybody. And USF has played pretty darn well since their top player returned to the lineup.

You better go tell Buzz so he's prepared.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
They shouldn't take anyone lightly, but they should still pound USF

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »
They shouldn't take anyone lightly, but they should still pound USF

Not so sure about us pounding USF.  We should win this game, especially since it's at home, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's a squeaker, or even if we lose.  Nukem and others are right.  They have played MUCH better since their best player returned, a lot like Seton Hall last year after they got Hazell back.  Additionally, their roster makeup is similar to those we have struggled against this year: tall and athletic.  Gilchrist will be a load on the interior, and if Davante gets in foul trouble he could have a field day in the paint.  They've shown the ability to win on the road as well, beating Villanova in Philly by 17 and DePaul in Chicago by 16.  I know those two teams aren't all that good this year, but are they 16 points worse than us?  I just want to come out with a win by any means necessary and move on at 6-2.  If we pound them all the better, but I wouldn't count on it.

beercanindasky

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »

Of course, he could have gone the other way with this statement; other than Vill, St. Johns, Pitt, Lousville, & Providence; we have yet to will a conference game! 

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »
Only reason I'm feeling at all hopeful about USF is because we get them at home this year. If we were going to them, I'd expect a loss. They are tough.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »
USF isnt a slouch but a home loss to them is completely inexcusable. They are a team we should beat on the road as well, but that would be a much stiffer challenge. Home loss? Awful.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 12:22:47 PM »
Not to mention USF will be on the road since Saturday as they are staying in the area after beating DePaul.