'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya thoughts  (Read 23184 times)

tower912

• All American
Hoya thoughts
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:36:52 PM »
1.  Luke looked small down low.   Georgetown is big.
2.  Wally plays hard.  First to the floor a couple of times.   And then, like Kaiser Soze...poof
3.  Run for Heldt.  He did all right.   Not a disaster.   
4.  I'm not sure who Henry can guard.  In man or zone.   His perimeter defense ruined the zone.
5.  MU played hard all night.  They kept attacking the rack.  Effort wasn't the problem.
6.  Size, defense, free throws and rebounding were the problems.  Need some team rebounding
7.  Nice bounceback game for Traci.  Best MU PG today.
8.  How in the hell has Georgetown lost so many games at home?
9.  Two straight games where the physicality of the bigs disrupted Luke and Henry.   Eventually, they will learn how to do it against guys their own size.  How come our bigs never get a foul call in the post?  What is Henry's conference shooting percentage?
10. The defense during the second half run was inspiring.   G-town helped by being sloppy. 
11.  The comeback heartened me, but I never felt MU was going to get over the hump.  Friggin' DSR.
12.  Bottom line..... a marked improvement over the SHU game.   MU never quit.   They got too far behind, but played their butts off.   Winning conference road games is tough.  No shame. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Class71

• All American
Re: Hoya thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »
Agree. Answer to 4),  no one.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 06:42:04 PM »
We started to grow up a little. Hopefully we keep in mind that it doesn't matter who creates the contact, if you attack the rim with reckless abandon you will be rewarded by the refs. If you're timid you'll get owned down low. But you need to make your free throws. And your bunnies.

The Warriors will be alright if they remember to put their head down and attack.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
JJJ was very effective tonight when he got the opportunity. I think it is in our best interests to give him some more run. Not perfect by any means but he adds a dimension of speed and quickness that we don't have in any other player. I think he and Sandy make a nice combination.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 06:42:56 PM »
10.5 - the overall play during the 2nd half run... perhaps the team learned how they need to play in the BEAST.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
1.  Luke looked small down low.   Georgetown is big.
2.  Wally plays hard.  First to the floor a couple of times.   And then, like Kaiser Soze...poof
3.  Run for Heldt.  He did all right.   Not a disaster.   
4.  I'm not sure who Henry can guard.  In man or zone.   His perimeter defense ruined the zone.
5.  MU played hard all night.  They kept attacking the rack.  Effort wasn't the problem.
6.  Size, defense, free throws and rebounding were the problems.  Need some team rebounding
7.  Nice bounceback game for Traci.  Best MU PG today.
8.  How in the hell has Georgetown lost so many games at home?
9.  Two straight games where the physicality of the bigs disrupted Luke and Henry.   Eventually, they will learn how to do it against guys their own size.  How come our bigs never get a foul call in the post?  What is Henry's conference shooting percentage?
10. The defense during the second half run was inspiring.   G-town helped by being sloppy. 
11.  The comeback heartened me, but I never felt MU was going to get over the hump.  Friggin' DSR.
12.  Bottom line..... a marked improvement over the SHU game.   MU never quit.   They got too far behind, but played their butts off.   Winning conference road games is tough.  No shame.

Disagree with #4. First half defensive effort was pathetic. 50 points on over 60% shooting?

2nd half was very good defensively. Just couldn't score enough.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
NO effort. A decent high school team would grab 16 rebounds.

Someone needs to remind these guys that it doesn't hurt to try.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »
Our game is to much going inside. We need to take more outside shots.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 06:44:57 PM »
Have to disagree #5.  The first 10 minutes they got out hustled for every 50-50 ball and rebound.  2nd half was how the entire game needs to be.

Problem on defense is we stand straight up and down cannot guard anyone until you get in a stance and move your feet.
Really hope Sam can knock down the open shot next year one shooter would help space the floor so much.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 06:45:11 PM »
We played a much better second half.  Hopefully this means that they are figuring out how to play in this conference.  Luke needs to make his shots.  Otherwise play more inside out.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
Our game is to much going inside. We need to take more outside shots.

Should have looked to develop the outside game during the cupcake schedule, instead of pounding inside then hitting outside. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »
My thoughts:
1. Maybe starting three freshman isn't the answer.  When Wesley Matthew got hurt his freshman year and Marquette had to start upper classman Chapman.  Marquette played much better with Wesley coming off the  bench.  JJJ or Wilson maybe should be the other starter.
2. Sandy Cohen has a very good outside shot but I don't recall a single outside shot this game.  Why?
3. When your opponents have a big strong talented front line, going to Fischer constantly seemed pretty inept.
4. Really happy Marquette didn't give up.
5. Lots of season left.  The Big East is a very good conference.  Follow what Wojo says and don't give up.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 06:48:18 PM »
JJJ was very effective tonight when he got the opportunity. I think it is in our best interests to give him some more run. Not perfect by any means but he adds a dimension of speed and quickness that we don't have in any other player. I think he and Sandy make a nice combination.

Zero assists, Zero rebounds, Zero steals.

JJJ and Sandy are soft, soft, soft.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 06:50:43 PM »
JJJ had an awesome steal during the run.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »
Wait for the final box score.   Not a ton, but I know JJ had a steal and I know Cohen had a rebound.    Not great, but not zero. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »
How indeed has GTown lost 3 others at home?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 06:55:15 PM »
JJJ had an awesome steal during the run.

JJJ's steal might get credited to Cheatham.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 06:56:32 PM »
How indeed has GTown lost 3 others at home?

Other teams make layups and box out.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 06:57:09 PM »
Right now I'd take Luke over Henry, even though Luke gets blamed more than Henry and Luke takes more criticism. Luke bangs down low at least, Henry never did, at least for most of this game he didn't.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
Credit G-Town, they shot 22 of 23 from the line.  We shoot a not awful 70%, but they prevented us sneaking back into the game right there.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »
Wait for the final box score.   Not a ton, but I know JJ had a steal and I know Cohen had a rebound.    Not great, but not zero.

Cohen definitely had a steal and dunk, as well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 06:59:56 PM »
Really hope Sam can knock down the open shot next year one shooter would help space the floor so much.

Rowsey

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 07:02:14 PM »
This team is so challenged on the offensive end.  In the 2nd half the defense was there to make a game of it but we simply could not score.  I believe these guys are doing what Wojo is telling them to do but it always results in a contested shot.  I recall once of the announcers saying "Marquette is very predictable".  I think that is true.  We can't always work the ball in low or drive.  We were 5-10 from 3.  Maybe when you're hitting the 3s you have to take more of them.  We are an underdog and the only way we are going to pull an upset it to get hot.  But when we are hot keep it going.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 07:04:13 PM »
1.  Traci with a quadruple quadruple:  4 points, 4 assists, 4 steals and 4 fouls.
2.  Haanif and Henry 5-19 combined with zero assists. They have been scouted and teams know they don't look to pass when they get the ball.  This ain't high school where you can dominate.
3.  MU with 11 steals.  Only 9 turnovers.
4.  MU out rebounded 41-28.  Killing MU with all the extended possessions.
5.  Great second half defense to make up for the 1st half no show.
6.  Duane perfect outside the two lines. Two for nine inside of them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 07:04:20 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400840261

Sandy with 3 rebounds and a steal.   JJ with 1 and 1