[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler vs. Williams  (Read 2941 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
Butler vs. Williams
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:46:55 AM »
Who would you rather have?  Haven't seen either play, but I heard Williams did little to impress at the al last year. 

Given what I read on Butler, it seems to be a fair trade if we land this guy.....wondering the thoughts of those who know about both players.

bilsu

• All American
Re: Butler vs. Williams
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »
Williams, but Butler more likely to last three years. Not a bad consolation prize.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
I haven't seen Butler.  I saw Williams on a couple TV games--his game and style  remind me of DWade.  

Not that he's that good, just that type of player.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »
I haven't seen Butler.  I saw Williams on a couple TV games--his game and style  remind me of DWade.  

Not that he's that good, just that type of player.

What?!?!?  Nick Williams is not like D Wade.  If you're going to make a Marquette comparison, Wes Matthews would be a much better one than D Wade.  Wade was a slasher coming out of high school and Williams is much more of a shooter.

I'd rather have Nick Williams than Jimmy Butler, but I'm not sure it's that big a dropoff.  Both can play, that's for sure.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:10:23 AM »
Well Butler shot 44% from 3 this past year and led the league in rebounding....he also has 3 inches on Williams.  I'm guessing the competition and defense was better at Tyler CC, on paper it seems Butler is a better prospect.  Has anyone seen him play?

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »
From what I've read it appears Butler may have a higher ceiling given his height, athleticism, rebounding prowess from the wing, and scoring ability.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »
I'd welcome Butler, but as a recruit he's not likely as well regarded as Williams. Williams is an RSCI top 100 guy who had offers from Alabama, Georgia, MU and now, apparently, Indiana.

Butler was, according to Scout, a one-star recruit whose only major conference offer came from Mississippi State, and then they ran out of scholies, forcing him to go JUCO. Obviously given some of the interest he's generated since, his standing has improved, but i wouldn't say he's the better prospect.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »
Well Butler shot 44% from 3 this past year and led the league in rebounding....he also has 3 inches on Williams.  I'm guessing the competition and defense was better at Tyler CC, on paper it seems Butler is a better prospect.  Has anyone seen him play?

Butler shot 42.2%.

Butler DOES NOT have three inches on Williams.  He might have an inch on him.  Butler is a legit 6'5", perhaps 6'6".  Nick is much thicker-- Butler is pretty rangy/boderline thin.

I have seen Butler play and the game I watched, he scored 43.  He is a very nice scorer.  I don't know if I'd put him ahead of Williams for potential, but I wouldn't say it isn't possible his game will peak higher.  I really liked Williams as a recruit, though.  Keep in mind that in JUCO, it is a lot of run and gun and you can't tell anything about a player's defensive prowess (Tyler plays exclusively zone). 

Bottom line, I'd be very pleased if we signed Butler.  I'm not ready to crown him better than Nick Williams, but he'd be an immediate off the bench kind of guy for us, with the potential to start down the road.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:43:23 AM »
Cool thanks.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »

Also of note... he didn't lead the league in rebounding.  Did you mean scoring?  I think Butler had something like 7 rpg, which is great for a player his size, but you can't totally trust JUCO stats, even if they are at a top notch JUCO like Tyler.  Fulce is a much more natural rebounder than Butler, and I think Fulce averaged over 13 rpg. 

If you're looking for likely positions for these guys... Butler is more like a 3/2 and Fulce is more like a 3/4, despite what Joe said in his quotes to Rosiak yesterday.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 02:17:36 PM »

Butler shot 42.2%.

Butler DOES NOT have three inches on Williams.  He might have an inch on him.  Butler is a legit 6'5", perhaps 6'6".  Nick is much thicker-- Butler is pretty rangy/boderline thin.

If Butler's 6'5 is correct, then he does have 3 inches on Williams.  Nike brought their Sparq training to LeFlore and did official measurements of all the players.  NW was measured at 6'2.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »
Fulce was second in the nation in rebounding

http://www.njcaa.org/sports.cfm?menu=3&sid=4&stat_type=i&gender=m&divid=1&slid=2&seasonselect=391&report_id=2561&requesttimeout=500

again I'm not sure how accurate any of these juco stats are.   I saw the numbers this njcaa website was posting and there was quite a discrepancy with the numbers that were being published in the Tyler newspaper.
ie.. the website says 17 rebounds in a given game, but the Tyler newspapers account of the game mentions Fulce grabbing 11 boards.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 03:30:23 PM »

Butler shot 42.2%.

If Butler's 6'5 is correct, then he does have 3 inches on Williams.  Nike brought their Sparq training to LeFlore and did official measurements of all the players.  NW was measured at 6'2.

Judging from what I've seen on video, albeit two different videos, Butler is NOT 3 inches taller than Williams, period.

I also will say that Nick plays a lot bigger than he is, so who cares if he's an inch or two shorter?   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:32:06 PM by MUViking »