[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Call Me Overly Optimistic (Looking at Class of '09)  (Read 3401 times)

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
Call Me Overly Optimistic (Looking at Class of '09)
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:58:28 AM »
So it's 2:42 AM and I am a little sleep deprived but I just had a revelation about the future of Marquette.

Looking at next year's recruiting class we all can now say that bar an amazing hat trick by Buzz this summer this '08 class is a wash with a lack of real talent that we hoped would refresh the team.

At the same time we have a great team returning with sweet or elite prospect (with a legitimate big man of course). If Buzz can take this team fairly deep in this next year's tournament and make some noise I honestly believe that with the '09 class we can rebuild.

Looking ahead towards the '09 class as stated by Scout.com our top three possibilities (based on rank and interest level) are

Jamil Wilson PF (5 star) - top four (Arizona, Illinois, Kansas, and MU)

Erik Williams SF (4 star) - already committed

Maurice Creeks SG (4 star) - high interest as top choice

Lets all look back to four years ago when we had one real starter returning to the team as the lone remainder of the Final Four team. That same year Tom Crean brought in three four star prospects and revived the team using a blend of leadership and youth with Steve Novak, DJ, Jerel, and Wes. This eventually led to the resurgence of the program to where it is today.

At the end of next season I see us at the same position. If we bring in these three prospects and put them with an aged Lazar Hayward, whats to say we don't reload and re obtain what we have had the last four years. Obviously alot of variables are being assumed such as Jamil choosing MU which i am hesitant to fathom after Iman Shumpert broke my heart and even if he does chose MU that he will stay for one more year. Something that definitely works in MU's favor is Wilson plans to announce which school he’ll attend on March 8, 2009, which is the birthday of his late mother. This allows Buzz time to prove he can coach the team we have next year before Jamil makes his decision.

All things considered I really do believe that we can have a decent team with the '09 class. I think that Buzz may need to cut his losses with the recruits Crean screwed over in '08 realize he has a very good team and work on securing our future with the class of '09. If he stumbles with the '09 class as he has with the '08 class though we could be in for one rough ride.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:04:27 AM by bleedbluegold03 »

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Re: Call Me Overly Optimistic (Looking at Class of '09)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:08:29 AM »
I hope you are right.  But let me be the first, you are overly optimistic.   ;)

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:46:31 AM »
You need to go back to bed.  Its Maurice Creek, not Cheeks.  He is originally from Oxon Hill, Md. and now is in prep school, and he can shoot the lights out from outside.  He had MU, Texas and Pitt as top three, but since TC left, Univ of Md is really making a push for him, even though they have a HS All American in Sean Mosley from Baltimore coming in. If MU can sign Wilson, Williams, Creek and another player, it would be literally outstanding.  You are talking about a top 10 player in Wilson and the others are in the top 50.  But based upon what happened with Taylor and the comments made by Coach Hurley about Buzz's resume, I am pessimistic about any of them coming. Buzz needs to do some damage control by hiring his staff now and hitting the road. There are many top 100 2009 players who have expressed interest in MU, but was this for TC or the MU program?  Thats why Buzz was hired and if he does not produce with this class, well.........

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:36:53 AM »
overly optimistic and you left out Johnnie Lacy PG from WI.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 07:54:02 AM »
crap, i was really hoping maurice cheeks had another year or two of eligibility

jzolt

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »
The reality of recruiting is that the top recruits want to play right away. That was what Crean had to offer James, Jerel and Wes 4 years ago. That is what Buzz will be able to offer the 09 class. Even the top kids have self doubts about the next level. Regardless of all the hype, they still want to take the easy road. Both Shumpert and Taylor did not want to play behind James. In the end, Shumpert took playing time over playing for Crean. Taylor will do the same after letting the big programs boost his ego so he can say he turned them down. Most kids are not willing to play their way in. Perhaps Buzz will use his "bigs" different than Crean did and sell that to recruits. Crean had his own ideas about the role of big players and that limited his recruiting of big kids. Regardless of all the negative feelings alot of you have, I see reason for optimism. Go Buzz!

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 09:12:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm with ya zolt....I'm expecting a monster class for 09'.   And you can kiss Cheek good bye, in case you didn't notice, he goes to the same school as Taylor.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:44:01 AM by mu_hilltopper »

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 09:13:17 AM »
Delusional. We didn't get the top notch guys when we had a rising program to sell.

I do agree that as things get worse it will create the opportunity to sell playing time. The reality is, however, that the top guys don't stay long anyway at the premier programs, so they can always sell playing time too. Look at UCLA this year, for example.

Sad to see all the momentum that has been building the past few years in terms of becoming more of a name program and being in the hunt for higher level recruits than in the past seemingly slipping away.

I really hope we are all wrong and the BOT saw something in Buzz that is certainly not readily apparent, because otherwise I really don't like the direction this seems to be headed.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »
Lets just see where Taylor ends up.  If its Florida, he plays behind Lucas, if its Kansas, he plays behind Chalmers, if its Texas, he plays behind Augustine (if he doesn't go), etc..... lots of scenarios.  

Then the excuse of not wanting to play behind James goes out the window.  

BTW, ESTO.  You are referring to Dominic Cheek, who plays with Taylor.  Dominic is the BEST SG in High School and no way does MUY even come close with him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:21:56 AM »
We probably won't get stink with Buzz. As Hurley put it , why trust your basketball life with such an inexperienced head coach?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »
We probably won't get stink with Buzz. As Hurley put it , why trust your basketball life with such an inexperienced head coach?

I see where you are coming from, but by that logic nobody new would ever get a head coaching job because players wouldn't come play for them .

We'd just have coaches who coach until they die and then basketball would be extinct.

There HAS to be 1st time coaches SOMEWHERE.

(I'm not sure I'm thrilled that its MU, but I'm just saying, it's short sighted to think that a first time coach can't recruit)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:23:03 PM by 2002mualum »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:27:16 AM »
Same way Crean sold James, McNeal, and Mathews....hard work, sincerity, and gauranteed playing time.  My gosh you guys need to get off the cliff.  You guys act like coaching is brain surgery, its all about opportunity.  Funny how Izzo, touted as America's greatest coach, can't do sh*t without top level talent.

Hurley is your typical coach who thinks he so great because he coaches 6 division I players to a national title....give me a break.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »
With a name like Maurice Creek, you know MU would get a fair representation in the yearly preseason annuals' "Best Name" sections.
SS Marquette

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 01:53:55 AM »
As long as we have a great season this coming year, we can keep the hype up about Marquette.  Being able to offer immediate playing time, maybe even a starting role to some Freshmen, would really coax some of the top-tier recruits to come to MU.  I am pretty sure Jamil is also interested in Wisconsin, since he wants to stay fairly close to home.  But, anything can happen obviously.

I think we have a fair shot at Lacy assuming that Buzz recruits him heavily.  Who knows where Buzz is going to recruit most though.  I assume he will spend a lot of time in Texas, and hopefully the most around Milwaukee/Chicago so we can convince Jamil and Lacy to come here.  We have many opportunities for the future.  Get the job done Buzz!