[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pat Forde said on ESPN that Crean probably wasnt offered...  (Read 5548 times)

Knight Commission

• All American
Pat Forde said on ESPN that Crean probably wasnt offered...
« on: April 06, 2007, 07:26:22 AM »
he said he may have been contacted by some members of the search committee, but he referred to such contact as a feeler. He suggested Barnes was #2, and Gillespie as #3.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
Re: Pat Forde said on ESPN that Crean probably wasnt offered...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:29:45 AM »
Notice he nor Katz ever mentioned anyone else but Crean. That is why I pledge a death wish on Andy Katz and His Badger spewing wishful thinking.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:45:03 AM »
Notice he nor Katz ever mentioned anyone else but Crean. That is why I pledge a death wish on Andy Katz and His Badger spewing wishful thinking.

I've got not love for Forde or Katz, but you apparently don't read much.    Forde's column yesterday went through Barnes, Gillispie and Cal before mentioning Crean, and he then continued on to mention Pearl, Few and Wright.  Katz mentioned Izzo, Gillispie and Few along with Crean.  I never heard or read either one of those guys say they thought Crean would be Kentucky's top choice.  The closest I saw was Katz predicting that the job eventually would fall to Crean and that Crean would take it.  Obviously (and thankfully) he was wrong.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:57:04 AM »
Well sir, I was wrong thank you for the correction. I will do my best to read every article I can on CBB while on the clock at work. I had just thought he had pulled his name out of the running for any job after he signed his contract extension. Shows what I know about the Politics of major college athletics. But I am glad he is staying, even if some of my fellow young MU alums hate Tom Crean because he doesn't Utilize his talent well. I'd really like to see what happens next year when he finally has more continuity in his starting five.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:12:19 AM »

My thoughts exactly... not once did they mention Billy G as the option after Donavon and Barnes... it was always Crean.

It really pissed me off last night to hear Katz say that Billy G and Crean were the two guys he knew for sure would take the job when about 6 hours earlier, the news was out in Milwaukee that Crean wasn't interested.  Yet no mention whatsoever from Katz on the lack of interest from Crean.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »

I've got not love for Forde or Katz, but you apparently don't read much.    Forde's column yesterday went through Barnes, Gillispie and Cal before mentioning Crean, and he then continued on to mention Pearl, Few and Wright.  Katz mentioned Izzo, Gillispie and Few along with Crean.  I never heard or read either one of those guys say they thought Crean would be Kentucky's top choice.  The closest I saw was Katz predicting that the job eventually would fall to Crean and that Crean would take it.  Obviously (and thankfully) he was wrong.

Incorrect on Katz... Thursday morning on Mike and Mike, Katz stated that Crean was the choice after Donavon and Barnes - no mention of Billy G whatsoever.  He also said that Crean would be the one guy that would take the job.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 08:25:05 AM »

My thoughts exactly... not once did they mention Billy G as the option after Donavon and Barnes... it was always Crean.

It really pissed me off last night to hear Katz say that Billy G and Crean were the two guys he knew for sure would take the job when about 6 hours earlier, the news was out in Milwaukee that Crean wasn't interested.  Yet no mention whatsoever from Katz on the lack of interest from Crean.

Maybe Coach Crean started telling people he wasn't interested b/c he found out he wouldn't get the job...

I think most of us agree Coach Crean puts his name out there to get more PR for the school, what he did once he found out he wouldn't be offered was create a soft landing for his name and the name of our university.  I think it was all good PR work.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:53:05 AM by DamonKeysContactLens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 08:31:46 AM »
Especially with a search firm involved you know that few people were probably officially "offered" the position.  These types of things go on with CEO searches.  Nobody wants to be turned down for the position their offering because it taints it.  This whole process is about PR and how others perceive you or your position.  If crean wasn't offered I'm sure he was contacted to determine his interest level and if Billie G backs out of UK then we'll probably here that he was never "officially offered" the job either.

tonyreeder

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 08:42:03 AM »
Damon Key with bingo

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »
I do think we can all agree that Katz is in bed with Bo with his anti-MU agenda. Katz keeps mentioning TC for other jobs so Dracula can tell recruits that they don't want to play for a coach who's going to leave.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »

Incorrect on Katz... Thursday morning on Mike and Mike, Katz stated that Crean was the choice after Donavon and Barnes - no mention of Billy G whatsoever.  He also said that Crean would be the one guy that would take the job.

Absolutely not "incorrect on Katz."  I never said that he wasn't pimping Crean.  I also never said a single word about what Katz said on radio.  I merely responded to a comment that "Katz never mentioned anyone else but Crean" by showing that Katz did, in at least one column published by ESPN.com, mention Izzo, Gillispie and Few in addition to Crean.  When Toughmover said that Forde and Katz never mentioned anyone but Crean, I was just commenting that both, in fact, did mention others -- at least in print.  My personal opinion is that all of these guys throw out multiple names and predictions just so they can say, after the fact, "see, I mentioned the right guy."

Long story short:  it's semantics; it doesn't matter.  We've still got Crean and that's what matters.  I think we all can agree that Katz is a putz.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 09:02:15 AM »
Well when it comes down to it I am sure Bo gets most of the "rural" recruits because he shows their parents the hambone, then he passes out quench gum.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »
Damon Key with bingo

If it makes you feel good and fuels your anti-Crean juices, then good for you.

:)

tonyreeder

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 10:33:19 AM »
You're the only one who makes me feel good big boy.  At the end of the day Kentucky gets Gillespie, Marquette keeps Crean.  Who knows what happened-who cares.  Believe or not, I am happy Crean's at Marquette and I hope he stays at Marquette for a long time.  I attended MU during the Dukiet years, I saw KO resurrect it from the dead, I saw Deane gradually drive it into oblivion and was overjoyed when the administration saw the same thing and hired Crean. Marquette was extremely luck to get him and if you would have told me Marquette would ever make the Final Four again I would have said you're nuts. I'm excited about the future.  I just don't believe the guy is beyond reproach like some posters. He's young and he's learning. I don't think someone should be villified on these boards when some criticism of Crean is put forth.  Isn't that what these board are for?  Waste time during work and post opinions both good and bad.  I do think Crean uses the press to get his name out there-not always a bad thing - I think he's a bit of a self promoter- a lot of coaches are.  I'm just kind of tired of this tapdance every offseason.  Crean to here, Crean to there, it gets old.   Yes, Katz is to blame but I also don't think Crean discourages it and I don't doubt his PR people floats his name to reporters.  I'm also not totally convinced, if offered, he wouldn't have taken the UK job.  Again, who knows, who cares.  Once next October comes around I'll be at the Bradley Center cheering my butt off for the Warriors.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »

Absolutely not "incorrect on Katz."  I never said that he wasn't pimping Crean.  I also never said a single word about what Katz said on radio.  I merely responded to a comment that "Katz never mentioned anyone else but Crean" by showing that Katz did, in at least one column published by ESPN.com, mention Izzo, Gillispie and Few in addition to Crean.  When Toughmover said that Forde and Katz never mentioned anyone but Crean, I was just commenting that both, in fact, did mention others -- at least in print.  My personal opinion is that all of these guys throw out multiple names and predictions just so they can say, after the fact, "see, I mentioned the right guy."

Long story short:  it's semantics; it doesn't matter.  We've still got Crean and that's what matters.  I think we all can agree that Katz is a putz.

You're right... we still have Crean and Katz is a putz and slimeball.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 10:49:27 AM »
Damon Key with bingo

+1 -- and couldn't agree more

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 10:53:59 AM »
Damon Key with bingo

If it makes you feel good and fuels your anti-Crean juices, then good for you.

:)

I don't know why it has to be "anti-Crean" juices.  I really don't think he would have turned down UK if offered -- it is one of the elite of college bball (other programs he was tied to not so much).  That being said, if he finds out that he won't be getting the job why not decline interest to 1 - save face and 2 - generate buzz among your own fans that he may have turned down a biggie.  That seems very simple, and is done all the time by coaches all over the country.  I don't know what happened, but that seems more likley than not.  I might have a different take if the "rejection" didn't occur the day before the official coach is announced.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 11:22:41 AM »
I don't know why it has to be "anti-Crean" juices.  I really don't think he would have turned down UK if offered -- it is one of the elite of college bball (other programs he was tied to not so much).  That being said, if he finds out that he won't be getting the job why not decline interest to 1 - save face and 2 - generate buzz among your own fans that he may have turned down a biggie.  That seems very simple, and is done all the time by coaches all over the country. 

This is certainly a plausible explanation.

The point was that some of our own self-loathing fans seem to be intent on questioning Crean's statement that he wasn't considered by accepting the Kentucky view that he was never considered.

Note that we still have one supposed MU fan who continues to convince us that the Illinois party line is the truth--that Illinois rejected Crean and not vice versa.

Given that virtually no college job is offered before it's accepted (in order to save face for the hiring school), saying that the school never offered is a technicality.

That having been said, I can understand why Kentucky fans like the spin that they never wanted Crean in the first place--I don't understand why MU fans adopt it, given that it would be beter for the MU program for our coach to have considered the job, then turned it down.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »

That having been said, I can understand why Kentucky fans like the spin that they never wanted Crean in the first place--I don't understand why MU fans adopt it, given that it would be beter for the MU program for our coach to have considered the job, then turned it down.

Your statement assumes that the Kentucky fans are spinning, and assume that the MU "spin" is fact.  Reality is only a few people really know the truth.  I am not one of those people, I admit.  Years later we still have conflicting opinions and reports on jobs from Illinois to Ohio State -- and this year we can add Kentucky to that list.  Who really knows what happened?  That's why I am reluctant to characterize certain things as "spin."

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 03:19:46 PM »
this board really gets it's cookies off making up all kinds of possibilities for Coach Crean too leave. Why don't you try putting all your thoughts in one hand and crapping in the other and see which has more substance!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 04:15:22 PM »
this board really...

You mean - A few on this board.  Look at the Poll topics. There are a large number (i.e. majority of) board members that are glad Crean is staying.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 06:14:43 PM »
Your statement assumes that the Kentucky fans are spinning, and assume that the MU "spin" is fact.  Reality is only a few people really know the truth.  I am not one of those people, I admit.  Years later we still have conflicting opinions and reports on jobs from Illinois to Ohio State -- and this year we can add Kentucky to that list.  Who really knows what happened?  That's why I am reluctant to characterize certain things as "spin."

As you say, nobody really knows the real truth.  So this boils down to a fan debate.

I think there is something wrong when there are more MU fans that likely to believe the UK/OSU/Illinois point of view than vice vesa.

There are those who claim to be the biggest MU fans on earth, but fold like a house of cards when presented with the opportunity to defend their program when a Illinois fan says "we never wanted your coach anyway."  Instead of defending the honor of MU, they launch into full self-loathing mode-- "Yeah, you're absolutely right--I cant believe our stupid fans who believe in our stupid coach--our program sucks--but I'm still their biggest fan."

feedback