Bill Scholl Retiring by Herman Cain
[Today at 04:55:18 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:18:45 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by PJDunn
[Today at 03:14:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:01:18 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: How Bout Them Brewers and Ben Sheets  (Read 7624 times)

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
Re: OT: How Bout Them Brewers and Ben Sheets
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2007, 04:34:42 PM »
Growing up in Waukesha has made me never really ponder the downtown issue too much.  County Stadium wasn't downtown, and I never really saw much benefit of having Miller Park downtown. Even though it is closer to where I live right now, traveling the extra few minutes certainly would not have deterred me from attending countless Brewer games (never made me miss a Marquette game). With that said I think that there are pros and cons to both arguments. I think that if it were reasonable to put the park downtown with plenty of parking for the awesome tailgating that goes on, then yes downtown would have been preferable. Especially now that I am older and hitting up the bars afterwards is a possibility. However, I am really not aware of all of the intangibles.  Either way I love Miller Park and the short distance between it and downtown should not discourage anyone from going to as many games as possible ;D
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 06:42:43 PM »
Agree that there are pros and cons to both sides.

Too bad the Pack doesn't play games in Milwaukee anymore. Why wasn't that included in the stadium deal? Milwaukee also got screwed on the tax issue.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 10:19:36 PM »
. I think that if it were reasonable to put the park downtown with plenty of parking for the awesome tailgating that goes on, then yes downtown would have been preferable.

I agree with this completely... but the problem is I think its impossible. Even if a ballpark started with a good amount of blacktop in a downtown environment (highly unlikely), eventually the land would be worth so much that they would have sell it off to start using it to build businesses on.

I guess the perfect ballpark would be downtown, near bars, lots of parking and tailgating, mass transit options, hotels nearby, easy access from the freeway, a great view of the lake, etc.

I don't think such a stadium is possible on earth.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 08:27:56 AM »
I am a Chicagoan who was a fan of the 82 Brewers and I was curious how many times they have made playoffs since then? The Wallbangers were a lot of fun to watch.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
They have no idea what to do with big crowds at that place.

well.. of course not.. bad teams rarely draw much of a crowd ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 02:23:26 PM »

I have to say that while I really like Miller Park (once inside), the parking situation is a joke the way it is today.  Getting into the game on Friday night was an absolute nightmare....I'd guess that 30-40% of the people who parked in General Parking missed the first pitch.  They only had three or four people collecting money and you didn't know how much it cost until you rolled your window down and they told you...terrible.

I think a lot of the parking backup was due to the weather. Had it been a nicer evening, more people would have shown up earlier to tailgate, rather than everyone trying to get to the stadium during the 20minutes before the game.

As others have said, the parking lot atmosphere at Miller Park is like no other big league stadium. On a warm, sunny summer day, I'll take $8 parking, a hot grill, a cooler of Miller Lite and a 5 minute walk to the stadium every time.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2007, 05:34:25 PM »
I was driving home during that game and there was a nasty accident on 94 (multiple fire trucks, ambulances and sherrifs) that backed up traffic on 94 E all the way back to US-43. I guarantee you that played a major role in the back up of traffic in the parking lot prior to the game