[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: How Bout Them Brewers and Ben Sheets  (Read 7623 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
OT: How Bout Them Brewers and Ben Sheets
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:36:17 PM »
Ben Sheets with a 2 Hit Complete Game.... Bill Hall with his first homerun of the year and a 7-1 win for the Brewers... something is brewing in Milwaukee (no pun intended)... and it feels like Milwaukee will have baseball in October.... too soon to say... possibly.  But, as I am with MU, I am optimistic with the Brewers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
Re: OT: How Bout Them Brewers and Ben Sheets
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 05:44:22 PM »
Mayor, I am a big Brewer fan myself. Lets hope today was a preview of what's to come this year. Brewer fans are dying for the chance to have baseball in Milwaukee in October. I really hope this is finally the year.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:53:46 PM »
If Sheets stays healthy, the Brewers should contend for the whole year.  The Brewers are in he nice position of being a little deep...  At 3B they have Ryan Braun who's got the stick to be up with Milwaukee but still needs work on defense.  And they also have one helluvan arm in Yovani Gallardo.

Their bullpen seems like it might be a little shaky, and the backend of the rotation is by no means great, but it's the NL -- they have as good a chance as any Central team in winning that division.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
Sure was a great season this year wasn't it?  What do you all think of the change in schedule from 162 games in past to 1 game this season?  Did you think the one game season was too short, too long or just right? 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 07:22:32 PM »
Sure was a great season this year wasn't it?  What do you all think of the change in schedule from 162 games in past to 1 game this season?  Did you think the one game season was too short, too long or just right? 

Always nice to have a Cub fan chime in. Of course its only one game and I am not blocking off my calendar in October just yet, it was noce that they cam eout and provided at least some degree of confirmation that the expectations may be warranted. Very comprehensive victory today.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 07:44:54 PM »

same thing every Cub fan says after they lose and lose and lose... any more money you want to shell out for mediocre to crappy play?  I can't be happy with a 2 Hit complete game by Sheets???  If Zambrano had that game, there would have been a comment on here...  I am sick of talking about what coach is going where, and why we can't land a big man... Crean is staying at Marquette thats all I care about, we can't land a big man but we will still be a top ten team, trying to change the pace, but I love opposition, so I am not trying to discourage your comments.

It was Gonzalez who messed up, not Bartman

End The Curse, Fold the Franchise

and my favorite quote "Anyone who blames a curse on a billy goat obviously has ran out of reasons as to why their team sucks"   ... came from my friend one friday night when he was just hammered... there were multiple swears and slurs in there, but thats what he was trying to say.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 07:46:28 PM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:55:35 PM »

same thing every Cub fan says after they lose and lose and lose... any more money you want to shell out for mediocre to crappy play?  I can't be happy with a 2 Hit complete game by Sheets???  If Zambrano had that game, there would have been a comment on here...  I am sick of talking about what coach is going where, and why we can't land a big man... Crean is staying at Marquette thats all I care about, we can't land a big man but we will still be a top ten team, trying to change the pace, but I love opposition, so I am not trying to discourage your comments.

It was Gonzalez who messed up, not Bartman

End The Curse, Fold the Franchise

and my favorite quote "Anyone who blames a curse on a billy goat obviously has ran out of reasons as to why their team sucks"   ... came from my friend one friday night when he was just hammered... there were multiple swears and slurs in there, but thats what he was trying to say.

Suppose I could have saved you the trouble and told you I am not a Cub fan.  ....

But if you need to let it all out dude....let er rip....1992 is a long time to go for a winning season.  I feel ya.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:05:43 PM by BigSky »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »
Haha

Game 7 of '82 when the Cardinals played the Brewers, Randy bought a special frank, just as Milwaukee sank.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 09:44:47 PM »
Very comprehensive victory today.

Sheets has tended to do that when he's not hurt. I'm not holding my breath though. He is a walking injury just like Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Ken Griffey Jr, Jim Edmonds, JD Drew, Nomar, Eric Gagne and a few others. If he can last into July without heading to the DL ill start to buy into this brewers magin

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 09:53:24 PM »

Sheets has tended to do that when he's not hurt. I'm not holding my breath though. He is a walking injury just like Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Ken Griffey Jr, Jim Edmonds, JD Drew, Nomar, Eric Gagne and a few others. If he can last into July without heading to the DL ill start to buy into this brewers magin

Jim Edmonds?  He's played in 137 or more games 6 of the past 7 years.  And 110 or more in 11 of the past 12 years.  Dude's a gamer, and because of that and his talent, he is a big reason for the St. Louis success the past decade.  I'd buy some of the others though. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 10:23:24 PM »

Let me guess Cards fan?  Did you hold your breath when the Clydsdale wagon went past Tony LaRussa last night...worried maybe he'd hi-jack it and swill all the cases of Bud?  Nice to see he could sober up for a game...can he make 162 (as you point out the season is long) or will he need a break to decompress and get hamboned with Bernie Michlalz
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 10:40:21 PM »

Last time I checked Sheets has had one, yes one, injury that has cost him time in two seasons. Remember last year he also missed a month with an inner ear infection which is not injury, unless you can tell me how someone gets an injury from a virus.
But I like to throw handfuls...

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 10:50:44 PM »

Let me guess Cards fan?  Did you hold your breath when the Clydsdale wagon went past Tony LaRussa last night...worried maybe he'd hi-jack it and swill all the cases of Bud?  Nice to see he could sober up for a game...can he make 162 (as you point out the season is long) or will he need a break to decompress and get hamboned with Bernie Michlalz

No, I merely pointed out that I didn't agree with his injury take on Edmonds and the facts seem to support what I said. 

I also said I felt the pain of 1992...of having a strong winning season but not holding on for the division title for the Crew...went to many a game at the dump of County Stadium.  I call things like I see them....I don't let hate or jealousy get in the way,... including how pathetic it is that on a 60 degree sunny day the roof is closed.  You flat out won't find this weather in Milwaukee in most April's or May's for that matter.

I also don't assume that everyone on Marquette boards are Chicago or Mil/WI fans.  Thankfully 13,000 applications this year....and hopefully more and more diverse each and every year from all parts of the country and other countries.  I didn't hate on Paul Molitor or Brett Favre's substance problems( a different topic altogether).......or more recently former Brewer Richie Sexon's DUI....or Cubs coach Chris Speier's DUI last year.  If it makes you feel better hop to it.  To each their own.  Dude blew a .09 and legal limit is .08  .....however no level of drinking and driving should be encouraged or condoned, even it is a few drinks at dinner, because I am sure you have never had a few glasses of wine at dinner and driven home. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 11:23:37 PM by BigSky »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 11:25:44 PM »

No, I merely pointed out that I didn't agree with his injury take on Edmonds and the facts seem to support what I said. 

I also said I felt the pain of 1992...of having a strong winning season but not holding on for the division title for the Crew...went to many a game at the dump of County Stadium.  I call things like I see them....I don't let hate or jealousy get in the way,... including how pathetic it is that on a 60 degree sunny day the roof is closed.  You flat out won't find this weather in Milwaukee in most April's or May's for that matter.

I also don't assume that everyone on Marquette boards are Chicago or Mil/WI fans.  Thankfully 13,000 applications this year....and hopefully more and more diverse each and every year from all parts of the country and other countries.  I didn't hate on Paul Molitor or Brett Favre's substance problems( a different topic altogether).......or more recently former Brewer Richie Sexon's DUI....or Cubs coach Chris Speier's DUI last year.  If it makes you feel better hop to it.  To each their own.  Dude blew a .09 and legal limit is .08  .....however no level of drinking and driving should be encouraged or condoned, even it is a few drinks at dinner, because I am sure you have never had a few glasses of wine at dinner and driven home. 

How was the roof not open?

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 11:55:56 PM »

How was the roof not open?

Perhaps this is God's way of punishing people over and over because the park was built in the middle of nowhere instead of downtown Milwaukee?

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=4/2/2007&id=21403

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 12:37:19 AM »

Richie Sexton?  i think you mean John Jaha...that being said...still it's sad that a manager would put himself in that spot.  Looking back on Bambi, Treb, Garner, Lopes, Royster, Yost etc...non have done that.  The Brewers simply stand for class and wouldn't allow such on their watch.  It's too bad when an organization lets things slip and allows things like that...But STL has a history of bad behavior (see Leonard Little KILLING someone in a DUI), so maybe it's just more tolerated with the whole brewery thing...
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 01:37:01 AM »

Richie Sexton?  i think you mean John Jaha...that being said...still it's sad that a manager would put himself in that spot.  Looking back on Bambi, Treb, Garner, Lopes, Royster, Yost etc...non have done that.  The Brewers simply stand for class and wouldn't allow such on their watch.  It's too bad when an organization lets things slip and allows things like that...But STL has a history of bad behavior (see Leonard Little KILLING someone in a DUI), so maybe it's just more tolerated with the whole brewery thing...

Actually I meant Sexson, who was arrested for a DUI.  You mention Jaha who actually did a lot more than that.  Paul Molitor had a cocaine problem for years, and the "class" organization of the Brewers allowed it to go on and on for years...and he wasn't alone.  Imagine that?  There have been players who have played for both the Brewers and the Cardinals who have had substance abuse problems.  C'mon dude...try some credibility here.  I think going zero miles an hour, 4 blocks from home blowing .09....in 45 years of being in pro ball....doesn't rank at the top of the list.  The Green Bay Packers signed Koren Robinson who had multiple DUI's....driving over 100mph in car chases..and he wasn't even already with the team.  Brett Favre was a serial adulterer and had substance abuse problem for years and years...Ahman Green and Gilbert Brown abuse their significant others....Mark Chumura jumps in hot tubs with teenagers....former Packer Eugene Robinson prefers hookers....we aren't naive enough to think that we can go through any professional sports team squeaky clean....?  Sports teams are merely a reflection of society.  I am not the morality police.  People who break the law should be punished ...a punishment that fits the crime, based on the law and prior history, LaRussa included.  He certainly should have made other arrangements. 

Like I said...if it makes you feel better and eases your pain to be jealous of another city or team...knock your socks off.  Have at it.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »
I can't wait for baseball to get back in full swing. With the pitching staff the Crew has this year and the bats they have in the lineup, i see a possible post season run this year and would be disappointed if they didn't finish at least 10 games over .500.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »
How bout them Cubs and Rich Hill!   ;D ;D ;D

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »
[/quote]

Perhaps this is God's way of punishing people over and over because the park was built in the middle of nowhere instead of downtown Milwaukee?

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=2&date=4/2/2007&id=21403
[/quote]

At the risk of starting a whole different debate, I just want to say that I like where Miller Park was built, and I'm glad Milwaukee did something a little different with their stadium plan (compared to most cities).

I don't think the plan has been perfect (accidents, cost overruns, roof doesn't work perfect, etc.), but I applaud those who made the decision to keep the stadium out of downtown.

Not every city should try and re-create Wrigley or fenway... I like those stadiums, but they are totally unique and no city should try and copy that.

Miller Park has a ton of blacktop, which makes the stadium different from many others and makes it a fun and different place to go.

Oh, but you are right... the roof not working does suck... just get the damn thing fixed.

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 06:53:22 PM »
Since you brought it up, I think the stadium should have been downtown. I don't think anyone was trying to re-create Wrigley or Fenway with that proposal. That would be impossible because of the history.

It would have been a huge economic benefit for businesses downtown from the creation of new spending by people coming in for the game. Now people just drive in and drive out. Just look at some of the other cities that have done a good job with a stadium downtown, like Baltimore. Miller park could have been put right downtown on the river. Hit the game, then hit the town.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 08:32:32 PM »
Milwaukee's downtown is not equipped to handle a ballpark there. Parking would have been an absolute nightmare, not to mention traffic especially with the Interchange work.

The parking lot scene at Miller Park is unique in baseball, and it is something that would have been lost downtown. Tailgating has been what has kept people coming when the team was awful.

Downtown businesses are fine without the park there... Miller Park is close enough to downtown where its not hard to get there by bus or taxi.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »
Parking would have been an absolute nightmare, not to mention traffic especially with the Interchange work.

The parking lot scene at Miller Park is unique in baseball, and it is something that would have been lost downtown. Tailgating has been what has kept people coming when the team was awful.

I have to say that while I really like Miller Park (once inside), the parking situation is a joke the way it is today.  Getting into the game on Friday night was an absolute nightmare....I'd guess that 30-40% of the people who parked in General Parking missed the first pitch.  They only had three or four people collecting money and you didn't know how much it cost until you rolled your window down and they told you...terrible.

I also missed 2 innings getting a hot dog, brat and two beers....two innings!!

They have no idea what to do with big crowds at that place.

That said, Friday night's result (a Cubs 9-3 win) made it all easier to stomach.

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 12:08:59 PM »
Wow...this is the first time I have ever heard anyone anywhere say they were happy that the Brewers park was not downtown, or preferred it that way.  Wow.

...more incremental ticket sales would occur downtown
...more retail spending in the downtown area
...more civic pride and excitement in the downtown area

and so on....

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »
Wow...this is the first time I have ever heard anyone anywhere say they were happy that the Brewers park was not downtown, or preferred it that way.  Wow.

...more incremental ticket sales would occur downtown
...more retail spending in the downtown area
...more civic pride and excitement in the downtown area

and so on....

I think ideally those things happen, but real life doesn't always work that way.

Some cities have had good luck with downtown stadiums, but they also have a very different infrastructure compared to Milwaukee. Mass transit is basically non existent, so traffic would be a MAJOR issue. Also, prices for a "day at the ballpark" would be even higher if the stadium was downtown (increased parking costs, no tailgating (so you pay more for all of your food), more gas used (most families live outside of Milwaukee county), etc. etc.

I'm not saying a suburban stadium is the answer for every city, I'm just saying I think it works well and serves Milwaukee. Also, I think there is something nice about not having a stadium that is downtown like most other cities. It provides Milwaukee with something unique and different. I've been to 10 different stadiums in my life, and I think Miller Park is a blast because its different. Tailgating is encouraged and a nice tradition that a lot of other cities don't have.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, check out how many people drive over from MN just to tailgate for the Twins series.

You can also check out numerous ESPN columns where they say Miller Park is great because of all of the action in the parking lot. I know there are at least 3 different articles that stated this since the stadium opened.

feedback