Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jake Thomas  (Read 18642 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Jake Thomas
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
Your bias issue or his?   ?-( 

The only bias I have, if you can call it that, is against this board getting all excited about a transfer from a low-level d1 school and thinking they will make an impact as a walk-on.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2011, 09:31:44 AM »
I don't care about the videos. His stats show that he shot worse against worse competition than djo, jae and buycks. He is no more of a zone buster than vander blue is.

Is that because he was their only option and good teams shut down the best option?  I'm just asking.  Seems to me that in the right situation, a kid like this can become a great threat as the 3rd option on a kick out, etc.  I, for one, am certainly not expecting this kid to start or even play a ton, but I do expect him to play a bit and make an impact.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
Your bias issue or his?   ?-(  Give the kid a break, you've been a tad prickly on him in your posts.   Just sayin' ...

+1.

Sultan, I think I know where you are going, because often posters get too excited about players whom they have never seen play. (the two that jump to mind are Niv Berkowitz and James "manchild" Matthews).

However, this is a local kid who is coming back to walk on. To be honest, MU should be so lucky to get kids turning down other D1 schollies to come walk on at MU.

His friend never claimed to be unbiased, he just gave a small description and said he was excited to see to local kids contribute.

Like I said, I know where you are going, and I agree... but I don't think anybody is jumping to those conclusions yet. Hell, if you want to reset expectations, start with Juan Anderson. Some people around here think he is going to be great. I don't think he'll see the floor this season.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
Wow.
+1.  That is some serious shooting.  Obviously the guy is a streak shooter.  Looking at last season, he had seven games when he went 4-46.  For all other games he was 82 of 202, or 40.6%, which is not too shabby.  Could be a godd zone buster.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
This exactly.

The guy played inferior talent last year and managed 13.6 ppg.  He wouldn't SNIFF the court in the BEAST unless it was Trillian time.

Additionally, this.  Walk ons do not play in games, they practice and make out team better that way.

I know that it is rare for walk-lns to play.  However, Jeff Hornacek walked on at Iowa State as a freshman, ended up starting and had a very nice pro- career.  The rap on him--great shooter but not athletic enough to play D-1 ball.  I have no opinion of whether or not MU should encourage this kid to walk on, but I don't see any negatives.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »
The only bias I have, if you can call it that, is against this board getting all excited about a transfer from a low-level d1 school and thinking they will make an impact as a walk-on.

Actually, your bias is that he played for a D3 High School - you have stated that.  Your bias is that Jake is transferring from a low level D1 program, so his stats should be ignored or discounted.  Your bias is that he was not recruited by the UWGB/UWM's of the world (even though that was addressed earlier).

You then have chosen to attack the kid that played with him in a couple of posts. 

Again, just sayin' ...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2011, 11:15:37 AM »
I don't think Sultan has said anything untoward here.
There's nothing wrong with being happy that a potentially quality shooter is joining MU as a walk on. It's a no-lose proposition for Marquette, so why not?

Still, Sultan correctly points out that we shouldn't get excited to the point we're expecting many on-court contributions from the kid. In his three games last year against what most of us would consider "major" programs (MU, UW, Nebraska), Jake shot 9-for-37 overall and 7-for-26 from beyond the arc. The year before, against Texas Tech, MU, Oregon St. and K-State, he was 8-for-34 overall and 1-for-17 from beyond the arc.
None of us have a clue at this point of how or whether he'll have an impact, especially since he'll have an extra year to adjust to the higher level of competition. But given how he's shown against better teams so far, it's completely reasonable to have low expectations and shouldn't be taken as an insult to the kid.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »
I don't think Sultan has said anything untoward here.
There's nothing wrong with being happy that a potentially quality shooter is joining MU as a walk on. It's a no-lose proposition for Marquette, so why not?

Still, Sultan correctly points out that we shouldn't get excited to the point we're expecting many on-court contributions from the kid. In his three games last year against what most of us would consider "major" programs (MU, UW, Nebraska), Jake shot 9-for-37 overall and 7-for-26 from beyond the arc. The year before, against Texas Tech, MU, Oregon St. and K-State, he was 8-for-34 overall and 1-for-17 from beyond the arc.
None of us have a clue at this point of how or whether he'll have an impact, especially since he'll have an extra year to adjust to the higher level of competition. But given how he's shown against better teams so far, it's completely reasonable to have low expectations and shouldn't be taken as an insult to the kid.

But he was also the featured player in their offense, with the defense focusing on him, resulting in very few good looks at the hoop. If he's on the court at MU he'll be guarded by a team's worst defender and will be able to set up at the 3 point line for a drive and dish.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
But he was also the featured player in their offense, with the defense focusing on him, resulting in very few good looks at the hoop. If he's on the court at MU he'll be guarded by a team's worst defender and will be able to set up at the 3 point line for a drive and dish.

He was third on the team in scoring and shots attempted (by a pretty wide margin), so I doubt very much he was the featured player in their offense. And if he's getting very few good looks against low-tier competition, how's he going to manage good looks in the Big East. By and large, a team's worst perimeter defender in the Big East is going to be much better than anyone at New Jersey Tech, Houston Baptist, SIU-Edwardsville and Chicago State.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
Seems to me that in the right situation, a kid like this can become a great threat as the 3rd option on a kick out, etc.  I, for one, am certainly not expecting this kid to start or even play a ton, but I do expect him to play a bit and make an impact.

Agree - give the kid a year in practice against the guys, weight training, etc....and he likely only improves as a player and shooter - and MU could use a shooter with his kind of range.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
Especially against Syracuse!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »
You then have chosen to attack the kid that played with him in a couple of posts. 

Again, just sayin' ...

What you are "just sayin?"  That I'm being a dick?

Just say that then...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2011, 02:37:34 PM »

Just say that then...

I believe the correct term today is being an Anthony Weiner

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »
I never have, and never will, own gray boxer briefs.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »

This seems perfectly fair. Thomas' greatest contributions will likely come in practice. If he can get some meaningful minutes, it's gravy. But thinking that he will be the guy that allows us to beat Syracuse by shooting over their zone (or something like that) seems like it's putting a bit too much on a walk-on.

Kudos to Buzz for getting guys who are on scholarship at other D1 programs to walk on at Marquette, but these most likely won't be the guys that determine the heights of our success over the next few years, or we will likely be in trouble.

If he proves us wrong, fantastic. I'm sure everyone, including Sultan, would be overjoyed. But there's little sense in expecting him to contribute 15-20 mpg while scoring 10 ppg and shooting 40% from 3 at any point of his Marquette career, unless you crave disappointment.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2011, 04:42:41 PM »

Just say that then...

I said prickly.  Yes, I thought you were being prickly (wouldn't go as far as to say you were a dick).  The kid was excited that his buddy, whom he played with, is transfering to MU.  Gave us some insight into JT's game.  You turned it on him. 

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
Jake reminds me of Brady Morningstar.  He walked-on to KU as a local kid from Lawrence, same size and weight and had a nice career with the Jawhawks.  Not the most athletic kid, but by his senior year, they could not keep him off the court.

262Baller

• Walk-On
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
A gym rat and competitor?  Any more bad basketball cliches you want to drop on us?  You haven't watched him play in college?  Well according to the stats you didn't miss much. No real cost since he is a walk on but I have no expectations for any production.

Well excuse me let me know when you find a better way to describe a person so i won't use my basketball cliches. And note I said not seen him play many, kind of a difference than haven't watched him play at at all. So make sure you make time to comprehend something you are reading before you attack it. And "according to his stats I didn't miss much" pretty bold statement coming from someone who probably never played college ball, probably didn't get off the bench much on your high school team. So chill out before you go and try to attack someone just because you are a 'fan'

262Baller

• Walk-On
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »
Its not that I am down on him. As you said he's a walk on. I'm down on those on this board who think he's going to make a difference. And those who post their half-wit scouting reports...even though they didn't see him play in college.

Once again, comprehend what you read before you go attacking it. Not once did I ever say I didn't see him play. You would think somebody who got into MU can make a simple rational argument on a discussion board. As someone who had a successful high school career, played in in college, and coached AAU middle school kids, I would think I know something more than a half wit scouting report.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
As nice as the shooting touch appeared in the video, the defense played against him was atrocious. Those kids hardly even thought about contesting half of those shots.

This is not a commentary on whether Jake will be useful for Marquette or not. I just was amazed by how poor the defense was in this particular set of highlights. The Big East will provide a much different test.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
I do not have any idea whether he will end up making much of a difference. However, you got admire a player who wants to step up to tougher competition. Much better than the player that just left for a lesser progam.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »
As nice as the shooting touch appeared in the video, the defense played against him was atrocious. Those kids hardly even thought about contesting half of those shots.

This is not a commentary on whether Jake will be useful for Marquette or not. I just was amazed by how poor the defense was in this particular set of highlights. The Big East will provide a much different test.
But, those were a couple 30 footers....!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »
262BALLER--GREAT STUFF.  APPRECIATE YOUR INSIGHT.  YOU WILL LEARN THAT SOME PEOPLE ON HERE FIND IT IMPORTANT THAT THEIR VOICE IS HEARD--EVEN IF THEY HAVE TO LAWYER THEIR DEFENSE OF BUZZ, WARRIORS, VANDER, BIG MEN, ETC.

EXPECT JAKE THOMAS TO DO NOTHING AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS--MORE THAN A PRACTICE BODY FOR SURE!

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »
Interesting analysis all the way around here.  Clearly his level of D-1 ball is NOT the Big East.  Clearly the talent he plays with (as teammates) is not what he'd be playing with at MU. 

Many here were clamoring for a Scott Christopherson type of shooter this past season - and to me Thomas looks every bit as capable as Christopherson - and he comes as a walk on.  What is the downside??

So MU doesn't have to burn a scholarship on a kid that has definite shooting range, that has averaged 13.6ppg at low level D-1 ball?  Who needs a walk on to be a star performer anyway?  Don't think anyone who is supportive of Thomas coming to MU as a walk on is expecting him to be a star - but rather a nice complementary piece at no scholarship cost.

As one of those who wanted a Christopherson type last year, I'm glad we have Thomas.