Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8599502 times)

war1980rior

• Team Captain
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/19
« Reply #19950 on: September 05, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
Dude, your tin foil hat is on way to tight.  I would like to see him commit to MU as much as the next guy, but let's take a look at the events of the last and next 12 months first. 

MU in the top 10
Losing streak to close the season with an embarrassing display in the tourney
Hausergate
Potential commitment of one (1) top 100 recruit
The entire 2019-2020 season and postseason.

Now which one of those is most and least likely to make or break Wojo's career. 

Per 247, we've already had 15 different offers "pass" on us.  I don't think one more will be the straw that breaks the camels back for every other highly rated recruit that Wojo pursues.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Season/2020-Basketball/Offers/

DJOver:  Nice chart!  Thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:41:42 PM by war1980rior »

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #19951 on: September 05, 2019, 06:07:43 PM »
Getting Osa or losing Osa will make or break this class and Wojo's career at Marquette. 

If we get him we'll have two stud forwards that have the pedigree to be 3-4 year Big East starters that also have distinct skill-sets so they can comfortably both play together at the 3 & 4.  Tie these two forwards with our two uber athletic, high-ceiling freshman guards and we're on our way.

Get Osa and everything we add to the class from here on is gravy.  Further recruits feed off the perceived momentum of a great class and once we have two top 100 players in the fold expect us to add another top 100 player or two to this class (would love for us to get one of the two stud guards coming for visits and the Toronto center who is thinking about reclassifying so we have a true 5 in the class). 

If we lose Osa then other recruits will also take notice and ask themselves why so many other players keep passing on Marquette.  Meanwhile all the negative recruiting that is commonplace will start to echo louder and louder in the remaining recruits ears as other coaches and fans will point out Marquette's late season decline, the Hauser transfers and Wojo's overall lack of success in March thus far.

If we lose him and this class doesn't materialize to expectations then we'll just continue to be a NCAA bubble team and eventually Wojo will be forced out and/or leave on his own.  If we get him then we'll be on the verge of a special class and a roster that can do great things together in the coming years.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

MuMark

• All American

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #19953 on: September 05, 2019, 06:55:24 PM »

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #19954 on: September 05, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »
I don't buy duanewade hypothesis.  Osa would be an outstanding addition but no recruit is "make or break."  There's a clear need and playing time for frontcourt talent in this recruiting cycle.  Someone will answer the bell either through a traditional path or via a transfer.  R-E-L-A-X ;-)

Glenn Rivers

Walt Downing

Ricky Olson

Iman Shumpert

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19955 on: September 05, 2019, 09:30:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/dawson23lee/status/1169759266686873600?s=21

All right tea leaf readers, go at it. What's Stan been tweeting lately?

Well if it's based on how many fans of a school reply to that tweet it's Indiana. Holy crap in like an hour there are 100 Indiana GIFs
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19956 on: September 05, 2019, 11:37:34 PM »
I’m not concerned about Osa specifically making or breaking this class.  I am concerned, as we all should be, that this class won’t be the home run Wojo needs to keep the upward trajectory of the program going.  I’m still optimistic though and Osa would be a very good addition to Lewis to start this class.

This.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #19957 on: September 06, 2019, 06:49:25 AM »
I’m not concerned about Osa specifically making or breaking this class.  I am concerned, as we all should be, that this class won’t be the home run Wojo needs to keep the upward trajectory of the program going.  I’m still optimistic though and Osa would be a very good addition to Lewis to start this class.

True, but only if you believe that this class MUST be a home run class.

Just because a handful of people are saying this, doesn’t mean it is a requirement for the program.  Recruiting has been solid to really good under Wojo.  We are off to a really good start with Lewis and in on a handful of really good to great prospects.  I am not ready to fire Wojo because he doesn’t sign a home run class (and how do you define that?).

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19958 on: September 06, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »
Marquette will be watching Baltimore 6'11 2021 Javonte-Brown Ferguson during the live period according to him and Stockrisers. (Indiana, Connecticut, Seton Hall, Western Kentucky, Kansas, Texas A&M as well)  He also said Kansas and Texas A&M will be getting home visits.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19959 on: September 06, 2019, 07:57:55 AM »

Just because a handful of people are saying this, doesn’t mean it is a requirement for the program.  Recruiting has been solid to really good under Wojo.  We are off to a really good start with Lewis and in on a handful of really good to great prospects.  I am not ready to fire Wojo because he doesn’t sign a home run class (and how do you define that?).
Of course, and others on this board are not ready to move on from Wojo, because after all, we are on an upward trajectory....even though the team folded tremendously down the stretch last year...and Hausergate...and an embarrassing NCAA loss...because Wojo once in a while snags a pretty good recruit

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19960 on: September 06, 2019, 08:14:30 AM »

I think a home run class will be readily apparent if wojo gets 3 to 4 of his top targets.   If not, 2-3 will still be very good and Osa combined with Lewis would be a great start.   

I’m concerned in a couple of ways for our program if this class isn’t one of his best to date.   One, I think there will be more negativity from our fans if they perceive it to be a failure.  Two, I think it may negatively affect Wojo and his perception of our program.  Will he leave as soon as he has even minimal success in the tournament for greener pastures?  (I know this would be a blessing for some but I really believe continuity at the coaching position is necessary in the long run to help land more highly rated recruits in the future)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19961 on: September 06, 2019, 08:50:43 AM »
This class has to be darn good, probably a 'double' at least if we're using baseball terms.  There's tons of playing time available in a program with nearly limitless resources, a spectacular new arena, and a great conference; every advantage a medium sized, no football, private school could ever offer.  If it doesn't happen and if the program regresses, there's really only one place to look for the problem.  Those are simply the facts of a performance based, competitive business.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #19962 on: September 06, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »
This class has to be darn good, probably a 'double' at least if we're using baseball terms.  There's tons of playing time available in a program with nearly limitless resources, a spectacular new arena, and a great conference; every advantage a medium sized, no football, private school could ever offer.  If it doesn't happen and if the program regresses, there's really only one place to look for the problem.  Those are simply the facts of a performance based, competitive business.

I don't disagree, but there is a tendency to judge recruiting classes purely by rank and before the players even step on the court.  Now I'd obviously take higher ranked players more times than not, but at the same time, even knowing that we'd only get one year from Henry, that 2015 class was labeled "stacked", and it hasn't quite panned out that way with the "lowest" recruit (per 247) having without a doubt the best impact on the program.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Season/2015-Basketball/Commits/

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19963 on: September 06, 2019, 09:08:34 AM »
Of course, and others on this board are not ready to move on from Wojo, because after all, we are on an upward trajectory....even though the team folded tremendously down the stretch last year...and Hausergate...and an embarrassing NCAA loss...because Wojo once in a while snags a pretty good recruit

Bring Brian Wardle home
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #19964 on: September 06, 2019, 09:47:24 AM »
I think a home run class will be readily apparent if wojo gets 3 to 4 of his top targets.   If not, 2-3 will still be very good and Osa combined with Lewis would be a great start.   

I’m concerned in a couple of ways for our program if this class isn’t one of his best to date.   One, I think there will be more negativity from our fans if they perceive it to be a failure.  Two, I think it may negatively affect Wojo and his perception of our program.  Will he leave as soon as he has even minimal success in the tournament for greener pastures?  (I know this would be a blessing for some but I really believe continuity at the coaching position is necessary in the long run to help land more highly rated recruits in the future)

And how do we know who those are?  We have been linked to a bunch of guys, who do we know who his priorities are? Get guys who have talent, who fit in our system and have good character and then judge them a year or two into their careers, not on signing day.

Wojo will be judged on how the team does on the court, not on recruiting rankings of classes.  There have been some successes for sure and the trend is in the right direction.  Let’s judge him on if he can keep it going in that direction.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19965 on: September 06, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »
And how do we know who those are?  We have been linked to a bunch of guys, who do we know who his priorities are? Get guys who have talent, who fit in our system and have good character and then judge them a year or two into their careers, not on signing day.

Wojo will be judged on how the team does on the court, not on recruiting rankings of classes.  There have been some successes for sure and the trend is in the right direction.  Let’s judge him on if he can keep it going in that direction.

I never am concerned about rankings, in Al's era, he would sign 1 or 2 players, of course they were mainly 5 stars but since classes were so small
the rankings were never to high, and how good did he do.  This year he needs to bring in at least 3 players, he has 1.  If he can not bring in another 2 I would be surprised as he has a lot to sell.  If he can not do that, the Fiserv Forum was not a big selling point.  And Wojo can not
recruit.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #19966 on: September 06, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19967 on: September 06, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #19968 on: September 06, 2019, 10:21:10 AM »
Well if it's based on how many fans of a school reply to that tweet it's Indiana. Holy crap in like an hour there are 100 Indiana GIFs
Creepy. I only hope they are current students otherwise that's really creepy and sad.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19969 on: September 06, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »
Bring Brian Wardle home

Yuck...yuck and more yuck. People need to get over the fascination with Wardle. What has he accomplished that says he deserves a job like MU?? Just because he's an alum and some of you think he'd bring continuity...sure, I don't disagree he might, but he'd also probably most likely bring below expectations type results on a yearly basis too. Unless you're one that doesn't think MU is much of a program and mediocrity is just fine, then by all means, bring on Wardle.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19970 on: September 06, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
Yuck...yuck and more yuck. People need to get over the fascination with Wardle. What has he accomplished that says he deserves a job like MU?? Just because he's an alum and some of you think he'd bring continuity...sure, I don't disagree he might, but he'd also probably most likely bring below expectations type results on a yearly basis too. Unless you're one that doesn't think MU is much of a program and mediocrity is just fine, then by all means, bring on Wardle.

I agree I don't want Wardle, but given that you're never happy with anything Wojo has done, who do you want coaching at Marquette that would realistically take the job if Wojo's recruiting class in 2020 is not a "home run?"

My guess is you'd be very disappointed by those who would realistically be available to Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19971 on: September 06, 2019, 11:00:02 AM »
guru

I actually laugh when I see anyone mention Wardle as possible MU basketball coach. Probably same guys that would place in top ten player in their years as MU fan.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19972 on: September 06, 2019, 11:17:19 AM »
A million chef’s kisses

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19973 on: September 06, 2019, 11:37:44 AM »

I am NOT saying to bring in Wardle if and when Wojo goes. I don't know today if he'd be a good candidate, a horrible candidate or something in between.

However, in response the part of your post that I highlighted, what had Crean accomplished that said he deserved a job like MU? What had Buzz accomplished that said he deserved a job like MU?

If one looks at tangible on-court results as a D1 head coach, Wardle has "accomplished" more than those guys did before they got the job.

Look, I hope we win spectacularly and Wojo is here for a very long time. My second choice would be that we win spectacularly and Wojo, like every other coach since KO, uses MU as a stepping stone and gets Duke or some other job he deems "better."

And if the latter scenario happens, I will be keenly interested in the number of big-time, NCAA-tourney-proven coaches who legitimately want to leave their situations for Marquette. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and there will be numerous coaches who genuinely want to leave successful SEC, ACC, B12, B1G, Pac-12 or BEast programs for WarriorLand. More likely, the pool will be filled with mid-major coaches and top P6 assistants, as it has been since Al retired.

Finally, this is the recruiting thread. Aren't there other threads that would be more appropriate to continue this oft-discussed, never-ending, highly speculative conversation so we can keep this one to, you know, recruiting? (NOT saying you're the only one guilty of this, guru. Heck, I'm doing it right now, too.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19974 on: September 06, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »

I really regret that you came over here after getting tossed out of Vadger Nation.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:37:12 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback