'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can't remember the last time I saw a team almost...  (Read 3220 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Can't remember the last time I saw a team almost...
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:47:05 AM »
shoot better from the field, then from the charity stripe. 

We shot .579% from the field, and .581% from the free throw line.

Incredibly odd stat.  I hate to say it, but the reality is that free throw shooting could ultimately be the death of this team.  Come March, if we don't start improving our ft shooting, we could find ourselves losing some close games.

Jamil Lott goes 4 for 4 from the line, and DJ goes 0 for 4.  Explain that one.

On the otherside, great to see the improvements by Wes from the line.

Let's get Stevie Novak in for a clinic next week!

MUMac

• All American
Re: Can't remember the last time I saw a team almost...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 08:55:47 AM »
shoot better from the field, then from the charity stripe. 

We shot .579% from the field, and .581% from the free throw line.

Incredibly odd stat.  I hate to say it, but the reality is that free throw shooting could ultimately be the death of this team.  Come March, if we don't start improving our ft shooting, we could find ourselves losing some close games.

Jamil Lott goes 4 for 4 from the line, and DJ goes 0 for 4.  Explain that one.

On the otherside, great to see the improvements by Wes from the line.

Let's get Stevie Novak in for a clinic next week!

DJ missed two then Wes missed two and I thought "oh, no".  Wes then was virtually pure the remainder of the game.  McNeal was pure on his two as well.  DJ was short.  Burke almost broke the backboard.

A humorous moment.  Burke missed his FT, the ref calls a lane violation on Seton Hall.  Burke is walking back on D, thinking it was on MU.  Hayward is screaming "Dwight, Dwight".  Burke turns around and sheepishly returns back to the line.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:58:23 AM »
How many did Burke miss?  I was telling Monsterwebwarrior you almost have to try that hard to miss free throws, and then surely one or two is going to go in.  It really was unbelievable, as much as I love his recent improvement (trust me I really do), his free throw shooting is, let's say, not so good.

I saw that Burke thing to, pretty funny, it was right after he got poked in the eye, so I imagine he wanted to have it checked out by the trainer.  Missed the redo as well.  Brilliant!!!!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:21:33 AM »
Burke was going to miss those two for sure.  It looked like he'd just been poked in the eye.  When he was walking back on D after the lane violation, he was still rubbing his eye .. I think he was just glad to catch rim and get out of there, .. then he had to go back and do it again.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:14:16 AM »
Told my girlfriend at the game last night that Burke is the second coming of Jon Harris.  Everyone remember his free throw shooing??  I loved Jon Harris, he was just a gritty, tough player that brought a lot of heart to the team, but damn the guy couldn't hit a FT to save his life and they were ugly to boot.  Urban legend had it that Harris was a solid FTer in high school but bulked up a lot when he got to college and it threw off his mechanics and he never got it back.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Eye

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:32 AM »
What about a comparison to Faisal Abraham? I think Burke and Abraham are more comparable as athletes. The first time a buddy of mine who's a UL fan saw FA play in person, he turned to ask me "How is this guy at the line?" My response, "One out of two is a bonus". He proceeded to air-ball the first one and bank in the second one IIRC. Anyone know what FA is up to these days?
GO WARRIORS!

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 07:48:16 AM »
Faisal's arms were twice the size of my waist.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »
Anyone know what FA is up to these days?

best I can tell from a google search is that he played with Salon Vilpas (Finland) in european basketball from 98-00.  His 98 season he was #4 in rebounds and made the all defensive team for the league.

Saw a finnish article that seems to talk about him but I cannot get it completely translated anywhere.. http://www.koris.net/1/artikkeliarkisto/?num=12826
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.