[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163695 times)

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #950 on: February 16, 2021, 10:06:49 PM »
Let’s say Wojo brings in Weber.  Somebody’s gotta go, right?  Would it be Presutti?  It seems like he’s taken over the Chris Carrawell “universally regarded as dead weight” assistant role.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #951 on: February 16, 2021, 10:18:03 PM »
Why would Bruce Weber work for Wojo? There are millions of better opportunities for him than to be a subordinate to potentially the worst coach in the Big East.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #952 on: February 16, 2021, 10:24:49 PM »
Why would Bruce Weber work for Wojo? There are millions of better opportunities for him than to be a subordinate to potentially the worst coach in the Big East.

He’s from the area. I believe he was interested when Wojo got hired. I don’t think it’s likely, but fun to speculate.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #953 on: February 17, 2021, 05:31:09 AM »
He’s from the area. I believe he was interested when Wojo got hired. I don’t think it’s likely, but fun to speculate.
The thoughts that Wojo needs to bring in a more talented/experienced guy than Wojo-Dukiet are hilarious. Especially when the University allegedly cannot afford to can Wojo-Dukiet. Just cut bait and find the best available candidate instead of dancing around the inevitable.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #954 on: February 17, 2021, 07:13:03 AM »
Weber is known as an exceptional in game coach but terrible recruiter. According to Scoop Wojo is a solid recruiter but needs help with the Xs and Os. Seems to be a possible match.

I still think the best course is hiring a new coach, but if Wojo is retained, I think Weber would be a good AC add.

...like Al and Hank lite.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #955 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:04 AM »

This is really a good thought.
No really its not.

For a school that is supposedly financially strapped, to bring in a high-priced assistant because the current coach isn’t cutting it is beyond idiotic. If they can afford to bring in Weber, they can afford to fire Wojo.  What kind of business decision would that be? The guy we are paying top dollar for to coach the team isn’t cutting it, so instead of replacing him lets pay more money to bring in someone that can help him. What message does that send to Wojo and why would Weber want an unstable job unless he thought he could become head coach, and why would MU ever want that?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #956 on: February 17, 2021, 09:14:49 AM »
No really its not.

For a school that is supposedly financially strapped, to bring in a high-priced assistant because the current coach isn’t cutting it is beyond idiotic. If they can afford to bring in Weber, they can afford to fire Wojo.  What kind of business decision would that be? The guy we are paying top dollar for to coach the team isn’t cutting it, so instead of replacing him lets pay more money to bring in someone that can help him. What message does that send to Wojo and why would Weber want an unstable job unless he thought he could become head coach, and why would MU ever want that?

Bringing in a free agent Weber would be MUCH less expensive than firing Wojo.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #957 on: February 17, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »

Bringing in a free agent Weber would be MUCH less expensive than firing Wojo.

Ok, If Wojo is not the guy, and money is the biggest issue for not firing him, then keep Wojo as a lame duck coach for a year and then fire him. Paying more money for an assistant coach to patch up Wojos shortcomings doesn’t save money either.   The only reason to bring in someone like Weber would be because you think Wojo can’t get the job done. If you think that, then the answer is to fire Wojo. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #958 on: February 17, 2021, 09:34:33 AM »
Biggest question:

Will Kansas State be able to afford Bruce Weber's buyout?  It's going to be over $5 million, and he is to be paid $2.8 million next season and $2.9 million the next season.  I keep reading that schools have major financial challenges in the present and the future, but that it does not affect all schools alike.

Maybe it is truly an apples to oranges comparison, no???

• All American
« Reply #959 on: February 17, 2021, 09:35:52 AM »
Ok, If Wojo is not the guy, and money is the biggest issue for not firing him, then keep Wojo as a lame duck coach for a year and then fire him. Paying more money for an assistant coach to patch up Wojos shortcomings doesn’t save money either.   The only reason to bring in someone like Weber would be because you think Wojo can’t get the job done. If you think that, then the answer is to fire Wojo. 

No.  One of the reasons that you bring in someone like Weber is that his strengths can offset Wojo's weaknesses.  If you like 80% of what Wojo does, bringing in someone to help with the 20% he does poorly may be a better alternative than firing him, and hoping you find someone who does 100% well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #960 on: February 17, 2021, 09:37:51 AM »

No.  One of the reasons that you bring in someone like Weber is that his strengths can offset Wojo's weaknesses.  If you like 80% of what Wojo does, bringing in someone to help with the 20% he does poorly may be a better alternative than firing him, and hoping you find someone who does 100% well.
I understand that, but then Wojo should  then take a pay cut for not being able to do his job effectively.

• All American
« Reply #961 on: February 17, 2021, 09:49:30 AM »
I understand that, but then Wojo should  then take a pay cut for not being able to do his job effectively.

That's not really how workplaces operate.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #962 on: February 17, 2021, 10:08:54 AM »

That's not really how workplaces operate.

No. That's exactly how they operate. That is not how college and professional athletics operate.

In most workplaces, if someone is not doing the job they were hired to do, they are replaced or get a down grade in pay.

• All American
« Reply #963 on: February 17, 2021, 10:15:28 AM »
No. That's exactly how they operate. That is not how college and professional athletics operate.

In most workplaces, if someone is not doing the job they were hired to do, they are replaced or get a down grade in pay.

No.  A good boss knows what his weaknesses are and hires people to supplement those.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #964 on: February 17, 2021, 11:12:32 AM »
Biggest question:

Will Kansas State be able to afford Bruce Weber's buyout?  It's going to be over $5 million, and he is to be paid $2.8 million next season and $2.9 million the next season.  I keep reading that schools have major financial challenges in the present and the future, but that it does not affect all schools alike.

Maybe it is truly an apples to oranges comparison, no???

Weber's buyout is significantly smaller than Wojos. Kansas State's financial situation is much better than Marquettes. Im sure you can recognize the differences between Marquette and a large state football school
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #965 on: February 17, 2021, 11:34:53 AM »

You are assuming that money will be the biggest issue. Maybe the administration doesn't want to fire him because they like him. Maybe they go to him and say, "How can we help you?" And maybe he says he'd like to hire somebody like Weber.

I know folks here are starting to assume Wojo will be fired. And maybe he will be. But I think a lot of us (including me at times) are letting what we want to happen take over our brains.

Going into this season, there was every indication that MU was quite happy with Wojo. We'll see if one horrific season will change that dramatically enough for them to want to fire him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #966 on: February 17, 2021, 11:47:10 AM »
Weber's buyout is significantly smaller than Wojos. Kansas State's financial situation is much better than Marquettes. Im sure you can recognize the differences between Marquette and a large state football school

Kansas State has a smaller endowment than Marquette, by over $180 million in fact, and, for a public land grant research university, only has 17k undergrad students.  Wojo's buyout is $6 million; Weber's is $5.7 million.  K-State's enrollment dropped this year.  Marquette also outspends K-State in men's basketball by over $4 million annually.

Alas, I need to remember that financial concerns relating to paying a buyout are only exclusive to Marquette University, especially since there are already at least ten openings due to firings, with many more expected in coming weeks. 

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #967 on: February 17, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »
We've really spent two pages on Bruce Weber as an assistant? (worse yet I've read all the posts.)  I just started a thread on potential candidates for 2022-23 video coordinator.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #968 on: February 17, 2021, 12:08:39 PM »
You are assuming that money will be the biggest issue. Maybe the administration doesn't want to fire him because they like him. Maybe they go to him and say, "How can we help you?" And maybe he says he'd like to hire somebody like Weber.

I know folks here are starting to assume Wojo will be fired. And maybe he will be. But I think a lot of us (including me at times) are letting what we want to happen take over our brains.

Going into this season, there was every indication that MU was quite happy with Wojo. We'll see if one horrific season will change that dramatically enough for them to want to fire him.
No my assumption is wojo needs to go and if so then why patch it up and prolong it.

One hoffiic season? That's not the issue l, it's the entire body of work.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #969 on: February 17, 2021, 12:10:01 PM »
Kansas State has a smaller endowment than Marquette, by over $180 million in fact, and, for a public land grant research university, only has 17k undergrad students.  Wojo's buyout is $6 million; Weber's is $5.7 million.  K-State's enrollment dropped this year.  Marquette also outspends K-State in men's basketball by over $4 million annually.

Alas, I need to remember that financial concerns relating to paying a buyout are only exclusive to Marquette University, especially since there are already at least ten openings due to firings, with many more expected in coming weeks.

Some of your numbers are incorrect. Surely you realize that endowment is just one piece of the financial puzzle and plays a smaller role at land grant institutions than liberal arts schools.

Marquette isn't the only one impacted but of P6 schools that may possibly fire their basketball coach this season they may be in the most dire situation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #970 on: February 17, 2021, 12:23:52 PM »

To be fair, and if the admin was paying attention at all, this is more than just one horrific season. This is the continuation of yet another late season implosion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #971 on: February 17, 2021, 01:26:52 PM »
To be fair, and if the admin was paying attention at all, this is more than just one horrific season. This is the continuation of yet another late season implosion.

I agree with you, and hairy too.

But if the honchos were happy with him going into this season - something many (most?) Scoopers were not - then to them it probably is one horrific season. During COVID. With injuries. Etc etc etc.

Excuses? Sure. And I don't like them. I think he should have been fired about a month ago. But it's pretty easy for people to justify whatever they want to justify.

We want him gone, and we're projecting that onto what the MU honchos "must" want. We'll see soon enough - perhaps as soon as a month from now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #972 on: February 17, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »
We've really spent two pages on Bruce Weber as an assistant? (worse yet I've read all the posts.)  I just started a thread on potential candidates for 2022-23 video coordinator.

Well, it's kind of about the concept of having somebody like Bruce Weber on the bench, the way Al had Hank and Buzz had Wainwright.

But you're right, it is pretty funny. And I've read them all, too - d'oh!

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #973 on: February 17, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »
Buzz had Wainwright.

But you're right, it is pretty funny. And I've read them all, too - d'oh!

Until they had their falling out and, effectively, stopped speaking to one another. That is an occupational hazard of hiring someone to criticize the head coach.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #974 on: February 17, 2021, 01:41:47 PM »
Some of your numbers are incorrect. Surely you realize that endowment is just one piece of the financial puzzle and plays a smaller role at land grant institutions than liberal arts schools.

Marquette isn't the only one impacted but of P6 schools that may possibly fire their basketball coach this season they may be in the most dire situation.

Boston College has an endowment of over $2 billion but that didn't mean they could fire Christian after last year. Endowments would almost never be used to buyout a coach, let alone be used for athletics in general.

On the subject of Christian, he was extended through 2021-22 after yet another disappointing season in 2018-19. Lower buyout.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:43:36 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”