[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163720 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #925 on: February 16, 2021, 11:36:37 AM »
If Wojo gets retained I'd like to see him bring in Bruce Weber as an AC. I think Weber gets the axe this season. I could see him spending some time back home before looking for his next job.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #926 on: February 16, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
So in this analogy our next coach should hire Wojo as his assistant because Wojo hit his numbers a few years.

He’s 44, coached in 2 places, I wouldn’t consider him an experienced guy in light of what we were saying about other “experienced” coaches.  And at a major program, I’d argue he didn’t.  No tourney wins, no conference titles, and a sub .500 conference record.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #927 on: February 16, 2021, 11:52:19 AM »
He’s 44, coached in 2 places, I wouldn’t consider him an experienced guy in light of what we were saying about other “experienced” coaches.  And at a major program, I’d argue he didn’t.  No tourney wins, no conference titles, and a sub .500 conference record.

I was just playing around.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #928 on: February 16, 2021, 11:56:53 AM »
If Wojo gets retained I'd like to see him bring in Bruce Weber as an AC. I think Weber gets the axe this season. I could see him spending some time back home before looking for his next job.

This is really a good thought.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #929 on: February 16, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »
A few programs have gone to having offensive and defensive coordinators (Alabama, Purdue, Yaklich when he was at Michigan). Game is way to complicated to be an expert on both ends.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #930 on: February 16, 2021, 12:00:32 PM »

That would be outstanding.

Hoping it can't happen because Wojo isn't retained. But maybe the next coach would bring in Weber if he becomes available and he's willing to chill for a year or 3.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #931 on: February 16, 2021, 12:01:07 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #932 on: February 16, 2021, 12:02:25 PM »
If Wojo is retained he will most certainly be on the hot seat entering the season. If he does come back and has a poor year again...one would have to assume that he would be gone.  If I'm freshly out of work (your Weber axe prediction), I think I would look for something a little more stable that the strong possibility of a one year stint.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #933 on: February 16, 2021, 12:04:35 PM »
If Wojo is retained he will most certainly be on the hot seat entering the season. If he does come back and has a poor year again...one would have to assume that he would be gone.  If I'm freshly out of work (your Weber axe prediction), I think I would look for something a little more stable that the strong possibility of a one year stint.

Actually, it might be an even more attractive option. Weber could think it gives him the inside track to replace Wojo.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #934 on: February 16, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »
Actually, it might be an even more attractive option. Weber could think it gives him the inside track to replace Wojo.

Oh god no. Unless he's somehow going back to his first two Illinois years and last year at SIU I don't want him. A fluke Elite 8 run around a lot of blah at UofI and KSU doesn't interest me.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #935 on: February 16, 2021, 12:15:09 PM »
Oh god no. Unless he's somehow going back to his first two Illinois years and last year at SIU I don't want him. A fluke Elite 8 run around a lot of blah at UofI and KSU doesn't interest me.

He wasn't saying he wanted Weber. He was just explaining how it could be an attractive option for a coach like that. And I agree.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #936 on: February 16, 2021, 12:16:34 PM »
He wasn't saying he wanted Weber. He was just explaining how it could be an attractive option for a coach like that. And I agree.

You're right just reread it and I misinterpreted the post.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #937 on: February 16, 2021, 12:52:54 PM »

It’s a bad position we’re in now. I think you can replace “poor” with “great” above and the statement is still correct. If Wojo has any sliver of success from now on, he’s gone anyway IMO.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #938 on: February 16, 2021, 01:16:15 PM »
bad coach (Wojo) taking advice from a marginally successful...at best, coach (Weber)?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #939 on: February 16, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »
He gone, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #940 on: February 16, 2021, 01:34:17 PM »
bad coach (Wojo) taking advice from a marginally successful...at best, coach (Weber)?

15 postseasons, 15-13 NCAA tournament record, Runner up, E8 and three S16s

That's better than Crean and Buzz combined at Marquette. I mean he's certainly lost his mojo but he's an above average coach looking at his record as a whole.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #941 on: February 16, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »

Weber can coach.  He can't consistently recruit. 

Not to mention we are going to talk about Phil Martelli as if he is God's gift to Michigan, but Bruce Weber isn't good enough to be an assistant for Wojo at Marquette???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #942 on: February 16, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »

Weber is known as an exceptional in game coach but terrible recruiter. According to Scoop Wojo is a solid recruiter but needs help with the Xs and Os. Seems to be a possible match.

I still think the best course is hiring a new coach, but if Wojo is retained, I think Weber would be a good AC add.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #943 on: February 16, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »
15 postseasons, 15-13 NCAA tournament record, Runner up, E8 and three S16s

That's better than Crean and Buzz combined at Marquette. I mean he's certainly lost his mojo but he's an above average coach looking at his record as a whole.

Agreed, like Fluffy said, his issue has always been recruiting. People are quick to downplay his early Illinois years cause he had Self’s players, but he did a really nice job at SIU, had some decent years at U of I, and had KSU doing well before he’s ran out of gas.  Zero interest as a HC but exactly the kind of seasoned Xs and Os mind that would be great on the bench

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #944 on: February 16, 2021, 06:58:10 PM »
Bruce would be great.  If he wants to come back to Milwaukee and help Wojo out, he should make it happen.

He could also just decide that he's 64 years old and has made plenty of money so he can settle into retirement, or can probably get some sort of color analyst or in studio analyst job somewhere for a couple years before retirement.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #945 on: February 16, 2021, 07:23:05 PM »
Folks here assume Weber wouldn't be able to get another decent D1 job if he wanted one.

Illini fans ran him out of Champaign, using pitchforks and screaming expletives in his wake ... and he immediately landed a plum job at K-State.

The last couple years have been bad there for him, but he could spin his overall body of work pretty nicely.

I have no idea if he still wants to be a head coach ... or any kind of coach ... or a talking head ... or just wants to chillax.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #946 on: February 16, 2021, 07:28:47 PM »
Folks here assume Weber wouldn't be able to get another decent D1 job if he wanted one.

Illini fans ran him out of Champaign, using pitchforks and screaming expletives in his wake ... and he immediately landed a plum job at K-State.

The last couple years have been bad there for him, but he could spin his overall body of work pretty nicely.

I have no idea if he still wants to be a head coach ... or any kind of coach ... or a talking head ... or just wants to chillax.

Decent?  If he gets canned at K-State, what decent program is hiring a 65 year-old, twice-fired coach and trying to sell that? 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #947 on: February 16, 2021, 07:38:12 PM »
Decent?  If he gets canned at K-State, what decent program is hiring a 65 year-old, twice-fired coach and trying to sell that?

Besides SIU? Nobody.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #948 on: February 16, 2021, 08:13:26 PM »

Is K State that plum of a job? Before Martin/Weber, K State hadn’t been ranked in 20+ years. Manhattan is a cowtown and they are pretty far down the prestige pecking order in the B12. Once Kruger left it was kind of mehhh. Even Altman wasn’t all that great there.

So as Rico and Billy said, twice fired, older coach, just fired from lower tier P6 gig. Not sure Weber wants to go back to a low budget, mid major gig after spending the last 20 years at bigger programs. Not like he would be expected to carry the recruiting burden if he joins the bench at another P6 school

MU82

• All American
« Reply #949 on: February 16, 2021, 09:54:53 PM »
Is K State that plum of a job? Before Martin/Weber, K State hadn’t been ranked in 20+ years. Manhattan is a cowtown and they are pretty far down the prestige pecking order in the B12. Once Kruger left it was kind of mehhh. Even Altman wasn’t all that great there.

So as Rico and Billy said, twice fired, older coach, just fired from lower tier P6 gig. Not sure Weber wants to go back to a low budget, mid major gig after spending the last 20 years at bigger programs. Not like he would be expected to carry the recruiting burden if he joins the bench at another P6 school

I'm not saying Weber would get a P6 job. I said he could get a "decent D1 job if he wanted one." Maybe he loves being a head coach so much that he'd go to the MVC or MAC or A-10. Or maybe he wouldn't want a job there. But those are "decent D1 jobs."

Or maybe I'm wrong and he's kryptonite and no school, not even at the lowest level, would touch him. Though I doubt it.

As for K-State, "before Martin/Weber" was 15 years ago. That's a pretty long run of some good basketball. And Bob Huggins was there the year before that and rebuilt the program quickly but bolted after one year for his alma mater.

But back to the point ... sure, somebody like Weber would be great to bring to MU as an assistant if that was something he'd really like to do. And not just Wojo if he stays. Maybe if Wojo is fired, the new coach would benefit from an old hand like Weber, too.

feedback