'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163741 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #875 on: February 15, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »
Brian Snow “buyouts are not an issue right now.”

Please pin this to anyone that continues to say MU can’t afford to fire Wojo in a few weeks.  Was an uninformed take then, just as it is right now.

Not every school’s situation is the same.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #876 on: February 15, 2021, 11:31:21 AM »
Breaking:

Boston College just canned their coach.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #877 on: February 15, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »
Agreed. I was just getting a tiny bit uncomfortable with the degree of Moser worship by some. He's had a good run in a non-P6 conference the last few years after a long, mediocre career u until then. That doesn't mean he can't be a good P6 coach if that's what he wants for himself. It means we don't know. I don't understand how some here can project certain success for him.

If MU hires Moser, as an alum and fan I'll get behind him and give him the same kind of chance I gave Wojo - which was a long freakin' chance, as I was one of the more patient ProJos on Scoop. I'd hope we could do better, but I'm realistic enough to know that we probably will get another Moser or Crean type coach, as that's all we've gotten for decades and decades (including Al).

Fair points, agreed.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #878 on: February 15, 2021, 11:36:32 AM »
Impossible. Jesuit schools with nice guys can’t afford buyouts due to financial limitations.

BC has a $2.4 billion endowment.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #879 on: February 15, 2021, 12:04:55 PM »
Starting to get my hopes up. I think Wojo would have some interest in BC. Back in the ACC. Closer to home.

BC getting a coach that’s had a tournament team 3 out of 4 years and then had a rough year during Covid is something to sell in a press conference. It’s a much better resume than their last coach.

https://twitter.com/bsnow247/status/1361363038406914055?s=21

Wojo will be back on dukes bench or at a low major. No P6 wants our trash

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #880 on: February 15, 2021, 12:08:40 PM »
Jeff Borzello: Names that have been floating around for Boston College the last few weeks: Porter Moser, Howard Eisley, John Beilein, Mark Schmidt, Mike Rhoades, Randy Bennett.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1361363586426232834?s=21

MU82

• All American
« Reply #881 on: February 15, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »
Jeff Borzello: Names that have been floating around for Boston College the last few weeks: Porter Moser, Howard Eisley, John Beilein, Mark Schmidt, Mike Rhoades, Randy Bennett.

Dat's cuz they didn't know Wojo would be available!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #882 on: February 15, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
I think Christian was in the $1.4 million range. Beilein? C'mon.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #883 on: February 15, 2021, 12:16:53 PM »
Man, I could actually see Moser leaving for that job.  I guess that’s okay, though?  I don’t really think I want him as Marquette’s next coach, though I’d be open-minded if he was.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #884 on: February 15, 2021, 12:19:47 PM »

Moser - maybe
Eisley - I’d bet the house on that
Beilein - lol
Schmidt - intriguing
Rhoads-  can do better
Bennett - about the same chance of them rehiring Christian
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #885 on: February 15, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
Guys, names that come out the day of a firing are simply from the head of the writer to get content on a page.  It rarely means anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #886 on: February 15, 2021, 12:43:49 PM »
I did not know Dennis Gates is married to the #2 person at BC Athletics. This could get interesting:

https://www.womenleadersincollegesports.org/convention/women-leaders-x/Awards/jocelyn-gates.aspx

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #887 on: February 15, 2021, 12:51:02 PM »
I did not know Dennis Gates is married to the #2 person at BC Athletics. This could get interesting:

https://www.womenleadersincollegesports.org/convention/women-leaders-x/Awards/jocelyn-gates.aspx

How? I mean there's no way they're commuting to their jobs from a middle spot and both those seem like onsite time consuming jobs where you don't get away often
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #888 on: February 15, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »

Interesting. Dennis Gates would be a under the radar guy at MU who could succeed. BC will have some nice options

• All American
« Reply #889 on: February 15, 2021, 12:53:21 PM »
How? I mean there's no way they're commuting to their jobs from a middle spot and both those seem like onsite time consuming jobs where you don't get away often

Married couples don't have to live together.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #890 on: February 15, 2021, 12:55:13 PM »
Impossible. Jesuit schools with nice guys can’t afford buyouts due to financial limitations.

Christian's buyout is not Wojo's buyout and BC's financial situation is not MU's financial situation. It's an Apples to Platypuses comparison.

That being said, this losing streak may have pissed off enough of the right people to make a change possible.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #891 on: February 15, 2021, 01:10:28 PM »

This is all great news for Marquette from a number of angles. We will get to see if Wojo's name is added. If so, we know that at least he is still marketable for a P6 job. If not, (not so great for MU) we know we will probably need to find some fat cat donors to help with the buyout. We learn who is interested in the job and who declines an interview. What's not to like about this chance to see  the coaching market before we need to act? Lots of valuable info before the season ends. It's our chance to use the info to avoid another year of Wojo.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #892 on: February 15, 2021, 01:16:15 PM »

Married couples don't have to live together.

::)  thank you for the lesson, I think I've said on here before my parents don't and are still married so i never would have guessed that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #893 on: February 15, 2021, 01:22:05 PM »
::)  thank you for the lesson, I think I've said on here before my parents don't and are still married so i never would have guessed that.

It would have been best had my parents not lived together either.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #894 on: February 15, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »
Brian Snow “buyouts are not an issue right now.”

Also, it does not appear BC was especially concerned that firing a coach before the end of the season would turn off any candidates for their job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #895 on: February 15, 2021, 01:35:52 PM »
It would have been best had my parents not lived together either.

Well without derailing this into our home lives thread. Basically I read your initial post as being a foot in the door for the Gates. It then made me think "how could that be if they're happily married and work such rigorous very far apart jobs" hence my post. If your initial post was that one of the top names could be interviewing with someone he's separated from that's my bad.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #896 on: February 15, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
Well without derailing this into our home lives thread. Basically I read your initial post as being a foot in the door for the Gates. It then made me think "how could that be if they're happily married and work such rigorous very far apart jobs" hence my post. If your initial post was that one of the top names could be interviewing with someone he's separated from that's my bad.

Looks like they never have lived together. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #897 on: February 15, 2021, 01:47:08 PM »

I was joking around regarding my parents.

But, the fact Gates’ wife is the #2 at BC definitely puts him near the top of the list.

Also, married professionals living apart due to their jobs isn’t uncommon. Coaches in particular. You go where opportunities present themselves and the money is good enough you can afford two homes.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #898 on: February 15, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »
Starting to get my hopes up. I think Wojo would have some interest in BC. Back in the ACC. Closer to home.

BC getting a coach that’s had a tournament team 3 out of 4 years and then had a rough year during Covid is something to sell in a press conference. It’s a much better resume than their last coach.

https://twitter.com/bsnow247/status/1361363038406914055?s=21
give BC credit for being smarter than to hire Woj.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #899 on: February 15, 2021, 05:02:38 PM »
The rumors are that Howard Eisley will in all likelihood be the next BC coach.
BC player and star.  12 years as an NBA player, 10 years as an NBA assistant coach and currently an assistant on Howard's Michigan team. 

feedback