[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163689 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #850 on: February 15, 2021, 09:28:34 AM »
While I do not have statistics to back it up, it is my impression that former assistants who have gone off on their own at smaller schools and  done well fare better at major programs than assistants like Wojo who go straight to a big job. (Crean was an exception.) There seems to be a lot of value in learning to work your own program at a lower level. Jay Wight is the best example I can think of though there are many others. Even Majerus failed at MU but then went to Ball St. and followed that with a great run at Utah. Who knows? Wojo may one day become a good coach after dropping down a level and then returning to a high major. But, I do not believe we can afford the risk of hiring another assistant. I think we have to find a guy who has run their own program. I also think we may ha face the fact that the MU job is not as attractive as it once was - thanks to Wojo. So, who are the coaches at smaller schools that we can realistically get - and who might actually want the job? Moser is certainly on the list of candidates, though he has a pretty damned good thing at Loyola and might be hired to pry away. The guy at Drake has to be on the list as does the guy at UNLV. Maybe the guy at Northern Iowa. Who else is a realistic candidate? Greg Marshall might be a possibility but I doubt MU would look at him now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #851 on: February 15, 2021, 09:28:49 AM »
This article details the terms of Creans 6 year $20 million contract at Georgia. He is making some good coin there and there is still a large buyout in place.

It wouldn't surprise me if he has an out clause for Marquette. I really think he has a soft spot and belief he could recapture what he had here.

We could do worse than Crean. No one would be better at selling the Wade era than Wade's coach. I'm sure we'd see guys like Wade, Diener, and others reconnect to the program. While I do think he hit his ceiling here, I could see him returning to that level, and a ceiling of competing for Big East titles with Final Four aspirations feels pretty nice considering where we are right now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #852 on: February 15, 2021, 09:32:57 AM »
With a good coach we would have won the NC in '04.

So wait ... it's your contention that the team that lost Wade and Jackson from the previous year's FF squad would have won the 2004 national title with some other coach?

OK then ... please pass the 'shrooms!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #853 on: February 15, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
I didn't watch one second of today's Loyola-Drake rematch because I was busy watching our fine game. I did just read a couple of articles about the game, a 51-50 OT victory for Drake.

So ... Moser's team lost to a team that was inferior (according to most Scoopers who had commented during the first one), managed only 50 points even though it went into OT, blew a double-digit lead, and lost to a team that was missing its best player? And afterward, there was nearly a brawl, with Moser blaming Drake's coaches and players?

Fun!

They beat Drake by 27 points the day before. Also, a Quad 1 single-point loss in OT isn't really a big deal.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #854 on: February 15, 2021, 09:42:02 AM »
They beat Drake by 27 points the day before. Also, a Quad 1 single-point loss in OT isn't really a big deal.

Agreed. I was just getting a tiny bit uncomfortable with the degree of Moser worship by some. He's had a good run in a non-P6 conference the last few years after a long, mediocre career u until then. That doesn't mean he can't be a good P6 coach if that's what he wants for himself. It means we don't know. I don't understand how some here can project certain success for him.

If MU hires Moser, as an alum and fan I'll get behind him and give him the same kind of chance I gave Wojo - which was a long freakin' chance, as I was one of the more patient ProJos on Scoop. I'd hope we could do better, but I'm realistic enough to know that we probably will get another Moser or Crean type coach, as that's all we've gotten for decades and decades (including Al).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #855 on: February 15, 2021, 10:06:57 AM »
Jesus people, MU is not hiring Crean back
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #856 on: February 15, 2021, 10:08:13 AM »
I've floated it as before and nobody seemed to notice but look at the coach of LA Tech. Great records since taking over, WI connections, has put a player in the NBA. Worth a look
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #857 on: February 15, 2021, 10:09:17 AM »
Yeah, but it sure is entertaining.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #858 on: February 15, 2021, 10:29:31 AM »
FWIW, the Coaching Changes Twitter account (run by a number of anonymous assistant D1 coaches over the years, and has been very accurate in predicting hirings/firings) is not only predicting Wojo gone in a few weeks but that TC is definitely in play as a new hire.

I would not be shocked at all by a homecoming.

Oh dear god i was kidding the other day saying i wonder if both sides would be desperate enough. this should be fun (not)

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #859 on: February 15, 2021, 10:33:24 AM »
We could do worse than Crean.

83-128 conference record for good ole Tanned Tommy at Indiana & Georgia

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #860 on: February 15, 2021, 10:41:43 AM »
83-128 conference record for good ole Tanned Tommy at Indiana & Georgia

Considering what a trainwreck he walked into at Indiana and the 8-46 record in his first three years there, that's really not that bad.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #861 on: February 15, 2021, 10:42:44 AM »
Considering what a trainwreck he walked into at Indiana and the 8-46 record in his first three years there, that's really not that bad.

our fan base is crawling back to tanned tom - this is officially rock bottom folks

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #862 on: February 15, 2021, 10:43:59 AM »

19-48 in last 4 seasons. pretty damn good

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #863 on: February 15, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »
I am not sold on Moser as many are. I don't have much of a connection in basketball circles, but I do not have a ton of good feedback about Moser overall from those people. Most also seem to think that he wants to stay a big fish in a small pond.

I think Oats is the best hire out of all proposed, but it is gonna take a lot for us to sway that. It'd be interesting to know if he has a homecoming clause in his contract. Also could get some good marketing content with all the puns on Oats. We have the facilities, the budget, and the infrastructure. He'd be the fastest path forward to relevance again. Just seems unlikely he will actually leave--or whether Alabama is messing with his happy.

TJO is a wildcard, but I always thought he'd have a bigger gig by now. He can scheme well based on the Iowa State days where he did most of the scout team stuff and we know he can recruit pretty well. I just don't think you see quick success like an Oats.

DeVries is still early in the phases, but the guy can scheme well. When they lost Nick Norton, he actually went on a decent run in the MVC by changing the pace and focus. Decent recruiter, including Justin Patton for Creighton. I think he's the "new but unproven" talent I'd give a shot to.

Either way, we need a new coach for next year. And Crean sucks.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #864 on: February 15, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »
our fan base is crawling back to tanned tom - this is officially rock bottom folks

He's not my first choice, but he's far from my last. He would be a significant improvement over our current coach, and I've little doubt he'd be doing better with this same roster if he were here now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #865 on: February 15, 2021, 10:46:38 AM »

Excellent usage of Jesus and Crean in the same sentence!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #866 on: February 15, 2021, 10:47:42 AM »
Any y'all have a  feel whether Woj or his assistants read this site? Man, we got this sucker dead and buried already, aina?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:42:58 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #867 on: February 15, 2021, 10:50:30 AM »
He's not my first choice, but he's far from my last. He would be a significant improvement over our current coach, and I've little doubt he'd be doing better with this same roster if he were here now.

Based on the Crean victory decision tree we still would have lost yesterday. Our star player did not score. No random player stepped up to score. So we would have stayed with option C (Chug diet coke)
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

panda

• All American
« Reply #868 on: February 15, 2021, 10:59:22 AM »
Any y'all have feel whether Woj or his assistants read this site? Man, we got his sucker dead and buried already, aina?

Gainey follows it. Maybe he's the leak !

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #869 on: February 15, 2021, 11:05:36 AM »
Based on the Crean victory decision tree we still would have lost yesterday. Our star player did not score. No random player stepped up to score. So we would have stayed with option C (Chug diet coke)
Diet Pepsi ai na

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #870 on: February 15, 2021, 11:08:22 AM »
Breaking:

Boston College just canned their coach.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #871 on: February 15, 2021, 11:17:50 AM »
Starting to get my hopes up. I think Wojo would have some interest in BC. Back in the ACC. Closer to home.

BC getting a coach that’s had a tournament team 3 out of 4 years and then had a rough year during Covid is something to sell in a press conference. It’s a much better resume than their last coach.

https://twitter.com/bsnow247/status/1361363038406914055?s=21

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #872 on: February 15, 2021, 11:18:17 AM »
Dad's, I agree with your premise that it would be difficult to replace Wojo this year.  I also think Wojo wasn't on the hot seat before the season began so it is doubtful that Lovell, Scholl and Co. have lost THAT much faith in him that they want to let him go.  So IMO I think you are correct that Wojo is here next year.

But here's the problem.  They are going to have to spend this money soon.  This isn't working and they have to see that.  Furthermore they almost have to extend him.  I mean, maybe not but then you may as well fire him right?

And I think MU needs to realize that next year could get real ugly PR wise.  Their prospects for success don't look great.  They will likely bleed a bunch of season ticket holder next year, and likely more the year after.  A successful basketball program is a key to MU getting out of the financial situation they are in.  But having faith that Wojo is that guy seems quite foolish.

This is the best take in this thread. I agree infinity percent on all of this.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #873 on: February 15, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »
Breaking:

Boston College just canned their coach.

Impossible. Jesuit schools with nice guys can’t afford buyouts due to financial limitations. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #874 on: February 15, 2021, 11:22:06 AM »
Brian Snow “buyouts are not an issue right now.”

Please pin this to anyone that continues to say MU can’t afford to fire Wojo in a few weeks.  Was an uninformed take then, just as it is right now.

feedback