'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163730 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #825 on: February 15, 2021, 12:04:39 AM »
I didn't watch one second of today's Loyola-Drake rematch because I was busy watching our fine game. I did just read a couple of articles about the game, a 51-50 OT victory for Drake.

So ... Moser's team lost to a team that was inferior (according to most Scoopers who had commented during the first one), managed only 50 points even though it went into OT, blew a double-digit lead, and lost to a team that was missing its best player? And afterward, there was nearly a brawl, with Moser blaming Drake's coaches and players?

Fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #826 on: February 15, 2021, 12:29:44 AM »
Moser recently turned down a 2+ million offer from St. John’s. We would have to pay out the ass to get him here. I have no knowledge on how deep MU’s pockets are, but are we able to get into the $3 million range for a coach? Anything less and I feel we are really rolling the dice anyway.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #827 on: February 15, 2021, 05:13:05 AM »
I have no interest in Moser. Given Nads comments, the Drake dude is intriguing, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #828 on: February 15, 2021, 07:12:58 AM »
Moser recently turned down a 2+ million offer from St. John’s. We would have to pay out the ass to get him here. I have no knowledge on how deep MU’s pockets are, but are we able to get into the $3 million range for a coach? Anything less and I feel we are really rolling the dice anyway.

I think there was more to Moser turning down St John's than the salary.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #829 on: February 15, 2021, 07:30:32 AM »
FWIW, the Coaching Changes Twitter account (run by a number of anonymous assistant D1 coaches over the years, and has been very accurate in predicting hirings/firings) is not only predicting Wojo gone in a few weeks but that TC is definitely in play as a new hire.

I would not be shocked at all by a homecoming.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #830 on: February 15, 2021, 07:31:36 AM »
FWIW, the Coaching Changes Twitter account (run by a number of anonymous assistant D1 coaches over the years, and has been very accurate in predicting hirings/firings) is not only predicting Wojo gone in a few weeks but that TC is definitely in play as a new hire.

This would be very entertaining.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #831 on: February 15, 2021, 07:39:03 AM »

Boy, I wonder who gave them that hot scoop...  ;D

Viper

• All American
« Reply #832 on: February 15, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »
Possibly MU would be interested in TC part II, but has there been any sentiment of interest FROM TC?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #833 on: February 15, 2021, 07:43:13 AM »

I would not be a fan of that. Crean’s Indiana record is definitely better than I remember it, but I’d rather take a chance on a mid-major up and comer.

Weren’t there some rumors of Cords wanting to hire O’Neill again last time around?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #834 on: February 15, 2021, 07:43:58 AM »
Possibly MU would be interested in TC part II, but has there been any sentiment of interest FROM TC?

Who do you think fed them that rumor?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #835 on: February 15, 2021, 07:52:12 AM »
I would not be a fan of that. Crean’s Indiana record is definitely better than I remember it, but I’d rather take a chance on a mid-major up and comer.

Weren’t there some rumors of Cords wanting to hire O’Neill again last time around?

The problem is that the school, with where MUBB is at right now, cannot afford investing in another uncertainty.  Wojo, at present, has led to an MU setback that has not been seen in decades.  MU needs a proven experienced coach that will have them competing for tournament bids annually.  With regards to TC, he still has great fondness for MU and his time here.  IMO, the IU experience greatly humbled him.  TC is also bringing in elite level recruits to UGA, something unheard of in Athens, especially since it is not a basketball-first program.

Again, not saying it will definitely happen, but I would definitely envision mutual interest there.  And Crean would bring immediate visibility and marketability for fans and alums after this disaster Wojo has overseen.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #836 on: February 15, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #837 on: February 15, 2021, 08:19:29 AM »
The problem is that the school, with where MUBB is at right now, cannot afford investing in another uncertainty.  Wojo, at present, has led to an MU setback that has not been seen in decades.  MU needs a proven experienced coach that will have them competing for tournament bids annually.  With regards to TC, he still has great fondness for MU and his time here.  IMO, the IU experience greatly humbled him.  TC is also bringing in elite level recruits to UGA, something unheard of in Athens, especially since it is not a basketball-first program.

Again, not saying it will definitely happen, but I would definitely envision mutual interest there.  And Crean would bring immediate visibility and marketability for fans and alums after this disaster Wojo has overseen.

I definitely get that. But I don’t know that bringing Crean back exactly puts us on a safer track. I was new to Scoop when Crean left, but I seem to remember a lot of people weren’t exactly bummed that he left. Look at the jokes made when DePaul rehired an old coach. I don’t think Crean excites the casual fan.

Also, I think it was pretty established that Crean hit a ceiling at MU. Maybe he’s grown and I know he’s recruiting at a fairy high level at Georgia.

I also think he’d walk on his hands and knees from Athens for the job.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #838 on: February 15, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
MU hiring Crean back would literally be the same scenario as DePaul rehiring Leaito.  It would be a freaking joke.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #839 on: February 15, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »
I definitely get that. But I don’t know that bringing Crean back exactly puts us on a safer track. I was new to Scoop when Crean left, but I seem to remember a lot of people weren’t exactly bummed that he left. Look at the jokes made when DePaul rehired an old coach. I don’t think Crean excites the casual fan.

Also, I think it was pretty established that Crean hit a ceiling at MU. Maybe he’s grown and I know he’s recruiting at a fairy high level at Georgia.

I also think he’d walk on his hands and knees from Athens for the job.

No doubt MU was spurned when Crean left for IU.  Crean also did not handle his exit with the players well either.  Crean, for several years, was booed in the opening video montage as well.  However, Crean made the NCAAT five of eight years, and never finished lower than fifth in a loaded 16-team Big East.  Crean arguably hit his ceiling at MU the first go-around, but it is also arguable that he might very well be a better coach since he left.  He did still manage to get IU to a #1 ranking, two B1G Championships and three S16s (while failing to meet expectations at IU).  MU needs someone, and who know if it is TC, to right this ship, provide stability and get us back on track towards competing for NCAAT appearances annually, with an occasional second weekend (or beyond) showing.  Wojo has failed to deliver that expectation, and a coach like TC has that on his resume.

Regarding Dave Leitao: DL left DePaul after three years for Virginia, and got fired within four seasons.  He six years between head coaching gigs, and - if not for DePaul - Leitao likely is not a head coach anywhere else (instead being a lead assistant).  Crean was at MU for nearly a decade and was very much rooted in our school and community, much like he was at IU.  In addition, DL was hired at DePaul because of certain parameters and expectations the (now former) AD gave all candidates (DL was more than willing to do that).  I would argue that the cases are not at all similar.  Their resumes are vastly different.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #840 on: February 15, 2021, 08:51:04 AM »
MU hiring Crean back would literally be the same scenario as DePaul rehiring Leaito.  It would be a freaking joke.

I would take a joke of a Final Four.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #841 on: February 15, 2021, 08:52:31 AM »
"literally the same"? Did I miss Leatio's rebuild and Final Four his first time around.

I'm not in favor of Crean but his resume is "literally" 10x better than Leatio's.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #842 on: February 15, 2021, 08:54:33 AM »
Time heals all wounds.  Crean came to the reunion event, was humble and appreciative, and well-received by the audience.  He's not coming back, but I personally would be excited about it.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #843 on: February 15, 2021, 08:56:21 AM »
If I were convinced that we would be getting the "same" Crean back, I would be fine with it.  Is he still as hungry?  Can he still recruit?  Will he drive 4ever crazy?  Yes to all three and I'd go for it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #844 on: February 15, 2021, 09:03:58 AM »
If I were convinced that we would be getting the "same" Crean back, I would be fine with it.  Is he still as hungry?  Can he still recruit?  Will he drive 4ever crazy?  Yes to all three and I'd go for it.

Does he sleep in his office ;-)

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #845 on: February 15, 2021, 09:09:52 AM »
I've thought TC for some time now. He seems to speak fondly of his days at MU. Often seen at the TBT games cheering for his guys. Showed up for the MU anniversary a couple years back. I always wondered if he regretted the "It's Indiana" move, knowing that at the time, it was a blue blood job and he would have regretted turning it down.

Having said all that, while I think he's a good recruiter, I thought his in game coaching was suspect. Run around the perimeter for 20 seconds then force a shot. Very little after a timeout. Also watched Bo pound him twice a year with inferior talent.

I do recall a significant portion of the contributing alumni base didn't seem to mind when he left.

I wouldn't be shocked.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #846 on: February 15, 2021, 09:12:04 AM »
Maybe he'd actually pay his promised donation to the soccer stadium
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #847 on: February 15, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
This article details the terms of Creans 6 year $20 million contract at Georgia. He is making some good coin there and there is still a large buyout in place.

Crean is also loading up on Jucos.

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Georgia-Bulldogs-Details-of-Tom-Creans-first-UGA-contract-119951637/

https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Season/2020-Basketball/Commits/

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #848 on: February 15, 2021, 09:20:27 AM »
5$ is getting his wish.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

1SE

• All American
« Reply #849 on: February 15, 2021, 09:26:43 AM »
TC - ugh, no.  It's like being with the uglier of the ugly step sisters (Wojo) and thinking the other one is a step up.

I was a student during the TC era. Going to the FF was awesome. But he was never a good coach. With a good coach we would have won the NC in '04.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

feedback