'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163755 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #800 on: February 13, 2021, 08:25:22 PM »
Exactly why I love the "can he do it in the BEAST with BEAST players" comments.  Wtf...if he can produce a KenPom 11th rated team i couldn't care less what his recruiting rankings are.  I'll go out on a limb and say it's easier to make a FF run and produce a top 10 team at MU than it is at Loyola.

I think Moser has done well this year, but I'm not convinced his team would be top-10 in kenpom against a Big East schedule. They've battered sub-100 teams, but doing similar against our schedule is a different animal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #801 on: February 13, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »
I think Moser has done well this year, but I'm not convinced his team would be top-10 in kenpom against a Big East schedule. They've battered sub-100 teams, but doing similar against our schedule is a different animal.

Financials aside, I still think the best fit for MU is TJO. Success at several stops, Milwaukee guy and has extensive recruiting ties in the Midwest (engineered Iowa State’s recruiting success mainly through Wisconsin connections)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #802 on: February 13, 2021, 08:32:27 PM »

And, of course, Moser's current team doesn't have to be top 10 KenPom with a Big East schedule. If and when he's in the Big East, with Big East resources, Big East recruiting, etc...then we can visit that. What he's doing is dominating the MVC for the fourth straight season.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #803 on: February 13, 2021, 08:58:52 PM »
not to mention their starting center looks 42...but hey, recruiting the midnight muni league might be ok. (he’s better than Theo)

At least the Loyola dude is a basketball player, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #804 on: February 13, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »
Financials aside, I still think the best fit for MU is TJO. Success at several stops, Milwaukee guy and has extensive recruiting ties in the Midwest (engineered Iowa State’s recruiting success mainly through Wisconsin connections)

TJO would be a homerun but he’s a little dirty.  Cut from the same cloth as Buzz.  He’d crush it at MU, but that’s not our game.  Hence my push for Porter. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #805 on: February 13, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »
TJO would be a homerun but he’s a little dirty.  Cut from the same cloth as Buzz.  He’d crush it at MU, but that’s not our game.  Hence my push for Porter. 

How is he dirty?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #806 on: February 13, 2021, 09:40:53 PM »
Otz in the process of tarnishing a storied program, ai’na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #807 on: February 13, 2021, 09:45:56 PM »
Otz in the process of tarnishing a storied program, ai’na?

Unlv has finished ranked in the AP top 25 twice since 1993.

In present day college basketball, it’s a very, very tough place to win.

ai’na?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #808 on: February 13, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »
Might have been said in previous 32 pages; but saw Crean got smoked 82-112 today to Alabama. 12-8 (5-8) on year.

Would both sides be desperate enough for a re-marriage?  ;)
Crean’s in better shape in the SEC than the other former MU coach. But they both got that SEC money, so good for them.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #809 on: February 13, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »
Mark Pope sure seems a guy ready for a high major job and a guy we should have a good chance to bring here. Has done very well as head coach at two schools almost 6 full seasons in, after playing and assisting at high majors. He even has Milwaukee connection through NBA.

He should be high on our list.  He won’t be at BYU much longer.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #810 on: February 13, 2021, 09:58:50 PM »

I expect him to retire there. The Mormons will pay him the moon and stars to keep him in Provo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #811 on: February 13, 2021, 10:00:51 PM »
Mark Pope sure seems a guy ready for a high major job and a guy we should have a good chance to bring here. Has done very well as head coach at two schools almost 6 full seasons in, after playing and assisting at high majors. He even has Milwaukee connection through NBA.

From what I've read and heard, Pope is a Mormon, he loves everything about the state of Utah, and BYU is his dream job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #812 on: February 13, 2021, 10:07:44 PM »
From what I've read and heard, Pope is a Mormon, he loves everything about the state of Utah, and BYU is his dream job.

So, you’re saying he says “This is the Place” daily?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
« Reply #813 on: February 13, 2021, 11:23:04 PM »
Crean. Buzz. Wojo. All high major assistants with no big time program leading experience. Varying levels of success but mostly success.

We’re not getting Oates, TJO, hell even Moser. I think BOT sticks to the high assistant level plan. I still really like Jakus from Baylor. Chicago roots, spent time with Few in Gonzaga, etc.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #814 on: February 13, 2021, 11:41:59 PM »
Crean. Buzz. Wojo. All high major assistants with no big time program leading experience. Varying levels of success but mostly success.

We’re not getting Oates, TJO, hell even Moser. I think BOT sticks to the high assistant level plan. I still really like Jakus from Baylor. Chicago roots, spent time with Few in Gonzaga, etc.

Bill Cords was AD from 1987-2007, I think, and came back as interim AD around 2013 or so.  He was responsible for hiring KO, Crean, and Wojo.  Buzz was hired by Steve Cottingham, who had worked at Marquette for nearly two decades before becoming AD.  So all four of those guys were essentially hired by the same regime.  There's no telling what Scholl will do if he has to conduct a search, but I can pretty much guarantee you they will not go the assistant route this time around.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #815 on: February 14, 2021, 08:37:12 AM »

Just looked into that Jakus guy, on the surface I’d get him an interview.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #816 on: February 14, 2021, 09:13:04 AM »
Hire someone with a strong background of having good bagmen who cover their tracks well.  Cheaters may get fired, but titles are forever
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #817 on: February 14, 2021, 09:15:25 AM »

Oh, the irony. When the Pope won't even give MU a look-see, we know things are dire.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #818 on: February 14, 2021, 09:23:54 AM »
i don’t know, isn’t the Creighton HC ‘dirty’? I assume you loved that Elite 8 w/Brent. I’m starving in this frozen tundra known as the BADger state. I  say just win baby.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #819 on: February 14, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »
i don’t know, isn’t the Creighton HC ‘dirty’? I assume you loved that Elite 8 w/Brent. I’m starving in this frozen tundra known as the BADger state. I  say just win baby.

I don’t need to be convinced.  We’re the school of Al McGuire, we specialized in the gray areas.  This admin tho?   They want it clean (while also celebrating Al & Buzz’s success every single day).
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #820 on: February 14, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »
Oh, the irony. When the Pope won't even give MU a look-see, we know things are dire.

Nice
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #821 on: February 14, 2021, 12:44:32 PM »
I don’t need to be convinced.  We’re the school of Al McGuire, we specialized in the gray areas.  This admin tho?   They want it clean (while also celebrating Al & Buzz’s success every single day).

Al would have died in prison by today's standards.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #822 on: February 14, 2021, 02:53:33 PM »
Would never make it today.   Three point line, shot clock, would be in trouble for fighting with players.    Everybody is mining what used to be his fertile recruiting areas.    Arguing with administration.    Flirtations with the NBA.   Terrible record at a basketball backwater.      fuggedaboutit

BS. How dare you blasheme? Also would crush it. There's no match to Al or Vince.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #823 on: February 14, 2021, 05:13:48 PM »
I expect him to retire there. The Mormons will pay him the moon and stars to keep him in Provo.

Correct. Major money at BYU. And, since school policy says head coaches must be Mormon they'll pay up since the pool is so smaller. The other candidates the last time around were Barrett Peavy (Portland State) and Mark Madsen (Pope's successor at Utah Valley).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #824 on: February 14, 2021, 08:21:53 PM »

At least the Loyola dude is a basketball player, hey?

Bro, Theo’s looking for you now, not cool man

🥴
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset