[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163692 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #775 on: February 13, 2021, 01:46:01 PM »
Well, previously in this thread he wanted to "see how they do vs Drake."

Loyola wins by 27 on the road. "Drake was missing a player." "Drake had beaten soft teams in a bad league etc,.."

He doesn't like Moser. And that's fine.

But that doesn't change the success Moser is having at Loyola, and, had at SLU.
Honestly don’t care if people don’t like Moser (it’s all speculation and guessing for a coaching search that doesn’t even exist right now), but legitimately want to know what he needs to do to change minds.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #776 on: February 13, 2021, 01:47:49 PM »
Honestly don’t care if people don’t like Moser (it’s all speculation and guessing for a coaching search that doesn’t even exist right now), but legitimately want to know what he needs to do to change minds.

I can't answer for him, but when one keeps moving the goalposts, as well only considers some parts of a resume and not others, some opinions aren't necessarily fact based and don't change.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #777 on: February 13, 2021, 01:56:15 PM »
Thanks, Obama.

Craig Robinson is Michelle Obama's brother.  The Obama-adjacent sheen probably helped Robinson's career, to a point.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #778 on: February 13, 2021, 01:59:01 PM »
Reaching out and being offered aren't the same thing. For example,  JT3 wasn't offered the Vanderbilt position. Malcolm Turner hired Jerry Stackhouse.

I can walk through any Black or White Head Coach you want.

Part of being held to a different standard is getting the positions in the first place. Also, some of the Black coaches mentioned had success in order to get another position, some much more so than many White Coaches. Mike Anderson etc..Leonard Hamilton. Al Skinner led Boston College to some of its best success in school history. His next HC opportunity came five years later at Kennesaw St.

It's difficult to believe we have to have a conversation about equal opportunity and equal standards, but here we are.

I'd appreciate if you went through it and what your criteria is exactly with regard to different and unequal standards?  Are you saying because 80% of players are black the number of black D-1 coaches should be closer to 80% than 30%?  I don't disagree that there have been very successful black coaches like Skinner, Smith, Anderson, that seemingly disappeared.  What ever happened to Kevin Ollie? 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #779 on: February 13, 2021, 02:27:04 PM »
I was high on Moser but it would mean starting with all new players since not a single Loyola player had even one tat.

Too many honkies on his roster, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #780 on: February 13, 2021, 02:37:22 PM »

Nothing that happens this season for me, a bunch of wins against a conference that is very weak outside of Drake and Loyola doesn’t suddenly change my mind on a 50 something coach who has been decent to pretty good his entire career outside of one season.

Well, previously in this thread he wanted to "see how they do vs Drake."

Loyola wins by 27 on the road. "Drake was missing a player." "Drake had beaten soft teams in a bad league etc,.."

He doesn't like Moser. And that's fine.

But that doesn't change the success Moser is having at Loyola, and, had at SLU.

Drake was the “best” remaining team on their schedule.  Drake also has a very flimsy resume.  Those are both true statements.  They had already looked less dominant the last month since I said that statement.  They lost to a bad Valpo team and trailed much of the game they ended up winning.  Perceptions of teams can change since I said that.

Drake is also missing their one of their most key players, again a fact.  Cause I know you are insistent in using those.  I didn’t say “oh Drake just had an off shooting night” “oh the schedule didn’t work in their favor”.  I just stated absolutes.

I don’t think Moser is an incredibly attractive candidate. He’s been good at Loyola for the last few years, that’s undeniable.  Trumpeting his “success” at SLU is silly.  As an assistant, they were 69-61, 32-32 in conference with only a single CBI bid (and that was very much in line with what Sodeberg was doing). The best season Rick had was after Moser left.  Using that as a feather in Moser’s camp is another reach, just like calling Majerus’s coaching tree solid by citing multiple assistants who still aren’t HCs a decade later and Jim Whitesell who is another coach in the category of “ok”.  Many coaches around the country who are very successful don’t have great coaching trees, absolutely true, but then don’t use time spent under them as a glowing endorsement of a coach.

If we move on from Wojo and Moser is the guy, I’ll support him 100% and hope he recruits the hell out of Chicago and makes me look like an idiot.  But until Loyola faces major conference competition and plays as well as they do against the Illinois St and Southern Illinois of the world, I’ll take this season with a grain of salt.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #781 on: February 13, 2021, 02:43:49 PM »
Moser's numbers at Loyola were very poor in his first five years. They have been very good in his last five years. If this is his new normal, and he can recruit high major players, I think he'd do well if he moved up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #782 on: February 13, 2021, 02:44:11 PM »
You mentioned JT3. I mentioned he wasn't getting offers after Georgetown.despite his success there and elsewhere. I included Vandy because you mentioned JT3 and Vandy. Now Vandy isn't a good example (the example was JT3 not Vandy) because they hired Stackhouse. Stack was hired by one of those few Black AD's that knew him from the NBA. (Since, Vandy has hired Candice Lee as its AD, the first ever Black Female AD in the history of the SEC Conference.)

Stack was hired because of his successful NBA and G League coaching experience. He was G League Coach of the Year and G League Champs. He is very well known for his Player Development. Somehow you lumped that into a group with, say, Clyde Drexler. Drexler didn't have coaching experience at those levels and went to his alma mater for two seasons. He then later spent one season as an NBA assistant.

Respectfully, I on't think you are making the points you think you are making here.

I mentioned JTIII as a minority coach that was not treated differently due to his W/L records.  I added that he was considered for other jobs after Georgetown, but that - from all intents - he remains happy living in the D.C. area working with the Washington Wizards. 

I used Stackhouse as an example of a minority candidate getting a head coaching job despite not having any collegiate coaching experience (which is far more rare a coach of color getting a head coaching opportunity).

I'm simply trying to understand your generalized statement about Black coaches "often being held to a different standard, and, are often recycled less often too."  I'm just not seeing any widespread examples of it.  You spoke of Skinner; that was a good one that fits that statement.  I just don't think there are many like it IMO. 

We can respectfully agree to disagree.  Apologies if I was unclear. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #783 on: February 13, 2021, 02:55:56 PM »
Nothing that happens this season for me, a bunch of wins against a conference that is very weak outside of Drake and Loyola doesn’t suddenly change my mind on a 50 something coach who has been decent to pretty good his entire career outside of one season.

Drake was the “best” remaining team on their schedule.  Drake also has a very flimsy resume.  Those are both true statements.  They had already looked less dominant the last month since I said that statement.  They lost to a bad Valpo team and trailed much of the game they ended up winning.  Perceptions of teams can change since I said that.

Drake is also missing their one of their most key players, again a fact.  Cause I know you are insistent in using those.  I didn’t say “oh Drake just had an off shooting night” “oh the schedule didn’t work in their favor”.  I just stated absolutes.

I don’t think Moser is an incredibly attractive candidate. He’s been good at Loyola for the last few years, that’s undeniable.  Trumpeting his “success” at SLU is silly.  As an assistant, they were 69-61, 32-32 in conference with only a single CBI bid (and that was very much in line with what Sodeberg was doing). The best season Rick had was after Moser left.  Using that as a feather in Moser’s camp is another reach, just like calling Majerus’s coaching tree solid by citing multiple assistants who still aren’t HCs a decade later and Jim Whitesell who is another coach in the category of “ok”.  Many coaches around the country who are very successful don’t have great coaching trees, absolutely true, but then don’t use time spent under them as a glowing endorsement of a coach.

If we move on from Wojo and Moser is the guy, I’ll support him 100% and hope he recruits the hell out of Chicago and makes me look like an idiot.  But until Loyola faces major conference competition and plays as well as they do against the Illinois St and Southern Illinois of the world, I’ll take this season with a grain of salt.
So what conferences should Marquette’s head coach come from? MVC is a pretty good mid major conference.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #784 on: February 13, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »

Can only speak for myself, but for me, it was just watching his team play multiple full games. I loved the final 4 run but wrote it off as a fluke. But he's doing it again this season with another bunch of nobodies. I actually have sat down and watched Loyola play 6 full games this year. He has them playing like a well-oiled machine. The sum is drastically greater than its parts. Everyone's footwork is great, defensive positioning is great, the passing is great, and everyone plays poised/confident no matter the score or time. And the off-ball movement is sublime. If you have the game recorded what jumps off the tape to me on a re-watch in fast-forward is the amount of cutting & passing involved in each possession. It really pops in the FF format. I've done the same for MU and even in FF there's an inordinate amount of standing without the ball. Drives me insane.

That would be my suggestion to anyone skeptical. Just watch a full game of theirs. You will walk away saying to yourself "that is an extremely well-coached team." I have every single time this year, and I was definitely a skeptic.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #785 on: February 13, 2021, 03:01:14 PM »

You demonstrate a basic lack of knowledge of Moser's time at SLU, both his time there and their program at that time. Who do you think recruited and helped develop a majority of the players that won lots of games, a few league titles, NCAA's, etc...McCall, Jett, Mitchell, Conklin, Loe, Ellis???

Again it's okay to have an opinion. But here it isn't informed. Elsewhere the goalposts are moved. Other times some parts are not included but not others.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #786 on: February 13, 2021, 03:11:57 PM »
I mentioned JTIII as a minority coach that was not treated differently due to his W/L records.  I added that he was considered for other jobs after Georgetown, but that - from all intents - he remains happy living in the D.C. area working with the Washington Wizards. 

I used Stackhouse as an example of a minority candidate getting a head coaching job despite not having any collegiate coaching experience (which is far more rare a coach of color getting a head coaching opportunity).

I'm simply trying to understand your generalized statement about Black coaches "often being held to a different standard, and, are often recycled less often too."  I'm just not seeing any widespread examples of it.  You spoke of Skinner; that was a good one that fits that statement.  I just don't think there are many like it IMO. 

We can respectfully agree to disagree.  Apologies if I was unclear.

I answered your JT3 by saying offers aren't consideration. He didn't start with the Wizards until being a few years removed from College Basketball where he wasn't getting high level offers. Unlike many other (often White) coaches with less success.

You lumped Stackhouse in with other coaches with a wide variety of experience. I also explained he received rhe Vandy opportunity because he knew Vandy's new Black AD from the NBA/G League.

You asked for an example, I gave you Skinner.

It was mentioned today that Mike Anderson, among his other success, has the 3rd longest .500 or better streak behind Izzo and Few. The difference between standards are interesting.

My posts speak for themselves. We disagree.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 03:16:21 PM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #787 on: February 13, 2021, 03:14:38 PM »
Craig Robinson is Michelle Obama's brother.  The Obama-adjacent sheen probably helped Robinson's career, to a point.

Thought that was obvious.   Apparently not.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #788 on: February 13, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »
You demonstrate a basic lack of knowledge of Moser's time at SLU, both his time there and their program at that time. Who do you think recruited and helped develop a majority of the players that won lots of games, a few league titles, NCAA's, etc...McCall, Jett, Mitchell, Conklin, Loe, Ellis???

Again it's okay to have an opinion. But here it isn't informed. Elsewhere the goalposts are moved. Other times some parts are not included but not others.

I forgot you’re more knowledgeable than anyone else, you have the intricate SLU knowledge of why Moser, career middle of the road coach, suddenly transformed players in his time in STL that he then moved on to Loyola and wallowed in more mediocrity for 5 years before figuring some stuff. A single season with Moser the Magician set the stage for why Jordair Jett and Mike McCall were excellent Juniors and Everyone else is just uninformed. Got it

You can admit that you have a higher opinion of Moser due to your affinity for all things SLU/Majerus and others have a lower opinion for their own reasons without calling everyone else uninformed or not knowledgeable.

So what conferences should Marquette’s head coach come from? MVC is a pretty good mid major conference.

Historically, yes. Losing Wichita St, Creighton, UNI having down years 4 of the last 5, SIU being mediocre for the last decade after being a strong program, etc... has hurt the conference strength IMO.

But it’s not just the conference, it’s assessing an older established coach who has 12 seasons of mediocre coaching preceding a pretty nice stretch. So you’re trying to assess if it’s someone who has turned it around, like TAMU said, or someone who has found their level.   A good benchmark is performance against teams outside of the conference at a higher level, NCAAs or out of conference.

I’m not picking on the MVC. I’d say the same thing if we were talking about, say, John Groce who had suddenly turned it on in the MAC, or an experienced coach who struggled in stops but now was doing well at Morehead St in the OVC but didn’t do much out of conference

MU82

• All American
« Reply #789 on: February 13, 2021, 03:48:09 PM »
I’m fine with opening the checkbook for Moser. If he can recruit guys to willingly play at the Gentile Center, I think he’ll make the jump just fine.

He can recruit MVC-talent-level guys to willingly play at the Gentile Center. We can't possibly know yet if he'd be able to recruit BEast-talent-level players to Marquette.

Having said that, I have no knock on Moser other than the obvious -- he had a very undistinguished coaching career (maybe even "bad," depending on how tough a grader one is) until the FF run. Beginning with that season, his results at his sub-P6 level have been very good. So as TAMU said, it's a matter of convincing oneself that the switch has been flipped and he has become an outstanding coach after years and years in which the results suggested he wasn't that. Maybe he has. It does happen. And beyond that, it's a matter of convincing oneself that he can succeed at the next level. That also happens regularly ... though often not for guys who have been a head coach only at lower levels for nearly two decades.

Nothing in this win over Drake makes me feel any better or worse about him. Loyola played well. Its big man could score just about any time he wanted to. Drake was without its best player. It was only a one-game sample. Given Loyola's fine record this season, it probably was indicative of how well they've played all season against this competition.

I am realistic enough to know that somebody like Moser very likely could be our next coach. And optimist that I am, I will be very open-minded and I will happily root for him to get our program back up to at least Buzz-level success.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:49:45 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #790 on: February 13, 2021, 03:55:11 PM »
He can recruit MVC-talent-level guys to willingly play at the Gentile Center. We can't possibly know yet if he'd be able to recruit BEast-talent-level players to Marquette.

Having said that, I have no knock on Moser other than the obvious -- he had a very undistinguished coaching career (maybe even "bad," depending on how tough a grader one is) until the FF run. Beginning with that season, his results at his sub-P6 level have been very good. So as TAMU said, it's a matter of convincing oneself that the switch has been flipped and he has become an outstanding coach after years and years in which the results suggested he wasn't that. Maybe he has. It does happen. And beyond that, it's a matter of convincing oneself that he can succeed at the next level. That also happens regularly ... though often as not for guys who have been a head coach only at lower levels for nearly two decades.

Nothing in this win over Drake makes me feel any better or worse about him. Loyola played well. It's big man could score just about any time he wanted to. Drake was without its best player. It was only a one-game sample. Given Loyola's fine record this season, it probably was indicative of how well they've played all season against this competition.

I am realistic enough to know that somebody like Moser very likely could be our next coach. And optimist that I am, I will be very open-minded and I will happily root for him to get our program back up to at least Buzz-level success.

Very well said Mike. Sums up my thoughts in a pretty neat manner as well. I have my doubts, I’m not super optimistic about MUBB at the moment, but I want to be wrong about a less than inspiring coaching prospect as much as I would want to be right about an exciting one. Cause either way means that they are a good coach who has steadied a ship taking on water

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #791 on: February 13, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »

Oh, I would not be so sure about that!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #792 on: February 13, 2021, 04:01:26 PM »
I answered your JT3 by saying offers aren't consideration. He didn't start with the Wizards until being a few years removed from College Basketball where he wasn't getting high level offers. Unlike many other (often White) coaches with less success.

You lumped Stackhouse in with other coaches with a wide variety of experience. I also explained he received rhe Vandy opportunity because he knew Vandy's new Black AD from the NBA/G League.

You asked for an example, I gave you Skinner.

It was mentioned today that Mike Anderson, among his other success, has the 3rd longest .500 or better streak behind Izzo and Few. The difference between standards are interesting.

My posts speak for themselves. We disagree.

Go through the open head coaching positions the past 5 years and specifically who has been offered the jobs and their merits.  I'm not saying you're wrong but 'm also not sure the pool of specifically black candidates is as large as you're suggesting. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #793 on: February 13, 2021, 04:05:28 PM »
I forgot you’re more knowledgeable than anyone else, you have the intricate SLU knowledge of why Moser, career middle of the road coach, suddenly transformed players in his time in STL that he then moved on to Loyola and wallowed in more mediocrity for 5 years before figuring some stuff. A single season with Moser the Magician set the stage for why Jordair Jett and Mike McCall were excellent Juniors and Everyone else is just uninformed. Got it

You can admit that you have a higher opinion of Moser due to your affinity for all things SLU/Majerus and others have a lower opinion for their own reasons without calling everyone else uninformed or not knowledgeable.

Historically, yes. Losing Wichita St, Creighton, UNI having down years 4 of the last 5, SIU being mediocre for the last decade after being a strong program, etc... has hurt the conference strength IMO.

But it’s not just the conference, it’s assessing an older established coach who has 12 seasons of mediocre coaching preceding a pretty nice stretch. So you’re trying to assess if it’s someone who has turned it around, like TAMU said, or someone who has found their level.   A good benchmark is performance against teams outside of the conference at a higher level, NCAAs or out of conference.

I’m not picking on the MVC. I’d say the same thing if we were talking about, say, John Groce who had suddenly turned it on in the MAC, or an experienced coach who struggled in stops but now was doing well at Morehead St in the OVC but didn’t do much out of conference

You posted about Moser's time at SLU. (Not the first time) But as you have a tendency to do, you include some things and not others. I am all for including everything. 

When it was pointed out to you that Moser recruited many of those successful players at SLU, and, he took part in some of their player development, your response is to attack the messenger that provides the information. This information isn't exclusive to me. There are many other places and people from which to obtain this information.

Who do you think sat in the Homestead Gym recruiting Mitchell, or NW Chicago burbs for Evans, or CPL for McCall? and so on.

I believe in what's fair.

Many people here posted about Brian Wardle. I have nothing against Brian. But his experience in the same league, overlapping a similar time to Moser was not as good as Moser. I don't believe I have ever posted anything about Moser ever, prior to that. It seemed odd to me that some people would include one without the other in the same sentence. (I do understand Wardle went to Marquette and was on staff before.)

Then more people made posts that included Moser more often. It isn't surprising considering the success he is having and his background.

I'm all for people including his resume prior to SLU, or as TAMU mentioned, it took him a few years to get it going at Loyola. Etc...those are all fair discussions. But even as TAMU just mentioned, the trend of Moser going back almost 15 years skews positive direction, let alone the past five. Would Moser be able to recruit well enough for Big East level? Etc..All fair questions.

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

With regards to posts and posting, there are many threads I either don't read, or don't think or feel there is anything to add, or don't know much about. If I know something or if I have something to add I add. If I don't know something, I post or ask. (You won't likely find me in the Bitcoin thread)

Back to why we are here. Had you acknowledged Moser's success at Loyola and SLU, and still said not interested, we wouldn't have had a discussion. I've never once posted here advocating that Porter Moser be an MUBB coaching candidate. Feel free to look.

He did a lot at SLU. He also ran the program day to day when Rick wasn't available for personal reasons, (his mom) as well as health reasons. This was all while working for one of the least Athletic friendly school Presidents out there.

I remember I believe BrewCity77 and TAMU discussing coaches and the value of how one  does in one's league. It matters as it is a big part of a season. Dominating your league for four straight years has value. As I believe I mentioned to them at the time, NCAA results have value too, as do other things etc...Rivalries...That all counts too. Fund Raising and facility/resource improvements have value as well, if a coach is part of a reason for it. I would add that getting NCAA results in my opinion is easier to do in the Power 5/Big East Leagues than many other leagues. That matters too.

So again, with this particular example being Moser, what he did at SLU has value to some people. What he has been doing since at Loyola has value for some people. If people hadn't posted about the topic, I probably never would have had a post with his name in it. I also posted about Dennis Gates, but people hear what they want to hear.

It's like today, and some people were having a discussion about Black Head Coaches. I look at the totality of the information available and form an opinion. I'm not going to move the goalposts, or only include some things and not others or downplay this or that. And opinions can and do change sometimes as well. I even think it would be fair to say that some people's opinion of Moser's Basketball resume has changed since before and after the time mentioned. I think its fair to say there has been some progress with regards to Black Head Coaches. But I think it's also fair to say there is a very long way to go there, and the progress hasn't been good enough.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:19:05 PM by shoothoops »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #794 on: February 13, 2021, 04:21:42 PM »
You posted about Moser's time at SLU. (Not the first time) But as you have a tendency to do, you include some things and not others. I am all for including everything. 

When it was pointed out to you that Moser recruited many of those successful players at SLU, and, he took part in some of their player development, your response is to attack the messenger that provides the information. This information isn't exclusive to me. There are many other places and people from which to obtain this information.

Who do you think sat in the Homestead Gym recruiting Mitchell, or NW Chicago burbs for Evans, or CPL for McCall? and so on.

I believe in what's fair.

Many people here posted about Brian Wardle. I have nothing against Brian. But his experience in the same league, overlapping a similar time to Moser was not as good as Moser. I don't believe I have ever posted anything about Moser ever, prior to that. It seemed odd to me that some people would include one without the other in the same sentence. (I do understand Wardle went to Marquette and was on staff before.)

Then more people made posts that included Moser more often. It isn't surprising considering the success he is having and his background.

I'm all for people including his resume prior to SLU, or as TAMU mentioned, it took him a few years to get it going at Loyola. Etc...those are all fair discussions. But even as TAMU just mentioned, the trend of Moser going back almost 15 years skews positive direction, let alone the past five. Would Moser be able to recruit well enough for Big East level? Etc..All fair questions.

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

With regards to posts and posting, there are many threads I either don't read, or don't think or feel there is anything to add, or don't know much about. If I know something or if I have something to add I add. If I don't know something, I post or ask. (You won't likely find me in the Bitcoin thread)

Back to why we are here. Had you acknowledged Moser's success at Loyola and SLU, and still said not interested, we wouldn't have had a discussion. I've never once posted here advocating that Porter Moser be an MUBB coaching candidate. Feel free to look.

He did a lot at SLU. He also ran the program day to day when Rick wasn't available for personal reasons, (his mom) as well as health reasons. This was all while working for one of the least Athletic friendly school Presidents out there.

I remember I believe BrewCity77 and TAMU discussing coaches and the value of how one  does in one's league. It matters as it is a big part of a season. Dominating your league for four straight years has value. As I believe I mentioned to them at the time, NCAA results have value too, as do other things etc...Rivalries...That all counts too. Fund Raising and facility/resource improvements have value as well, if a coach is part of a reason for it. I would add that getting NCAA results in my opinion is easier to do in the Power 5/Big East Leagues than many other leagues. That matters too.

So again, with this particular example being Moser, what he did at SLU has value to some people. What he has been doing since at Loyola has value for some people. If people hadn't posted about the topic, I probably never would have had a post with his name in it.

It's like today, and some people were having a discussion about Black Head Coaches. I look at the totality of the information available and form an opinion. I'm not going to move the goalposts, or only include some things and not others or downplay this or that. And opinions can and do change sometimes as well. I even think it would be fair to say that some people's opinion of Moser's Basketball resume has changed since before and after the time mentioned. I think its fair to say there has been some progress with regards to Black Head Coaches. But I think it's also fair to say there is a very long way to go there, and the progress hasn't been good enough.

With regards to your last paragraph is it conceivable that you need to know far more information to support your overall point?  Because I think you do and each hire and situation is different

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #795 on: February 13, 2021, 05:55:15 PM »
I need to apologize to the entire Scoop community. 

I recently said Moser’s team was 14th in KenPom.  I was wrong. 

His team is 10th in KenPom.

I regret my error. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #796 on: February 13, 2021, 05:56:16 PM »
I need to apologize to the entire Scoop community. 

I recently said Moser’s team was 14th in KenPom.  I was wrong. 

His team is 10th in KenPom.

I regret my error.

Whoops, apologies again.  He’s no longer 10th in KenPom.  He’s 11th. 

Virginia is 10th.  Virginia, hmmmm. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #797 on: February 13, 2021, 06:19:45 PM »
Whoops, apologies again.  He’s no longer 10th in KenPom.  He’s 11th. 

Virginia is 10th.  Virginia, hmmmm.
Exactly why I love the "can he do it in the BEAST with BEAST players" comments.  Wtf...if he can produce a KenPom 11th rated team i couldn't care less what his recruiting rankings are.  I'll go out on a limb and say it's easier to make a FF run and produce a top 10 team at MU than it is at Loyola.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #798 on: February 13, 2021, 07:46:40 PM »
Might have been said in previous 32 pages; but saw Crean got smoked 82-112 today to Alabama. 12-8 (5-8) on year.

Would both sides be desperate enough for a re-marriage?  ;)

Viper

• All American
« Reply #799 on: February 13, 2021, 08:05:36 PM »
I was high on Moser but it would mean starting with all new players since not a single Loyola player had even one tat.
not to mention their starting center looks 42...but hey, recruiting the midnight muni league might be ok. (he’s better than Theo)

feedback