'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163755 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #625 on: February 08, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
I would prefer the former BE assistant.

Wojo was a former ACC assistant. So? DeVries is still wet behind the ears as a HC and hasn't proven a thing in March. I have no interest in being another coach's testing lab yet again. Maybe he can prove otherwise over the next several weeks, I'm open minded.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #626 on: February 09, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »
I feel like if we move on this year we most likely end up with TJO. I could see a slight possibility of Oats if he really wants return to Wisconsin.

DeVries is a possibility--McDermott and Altman roots. But might just be too much of a "name du jour" than a proven commodity.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #627 on: February 09, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »
Otz has the same record as Wojo despite playing a much worse schedule. I don't think many people are going to be calling him this offseason.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #628 on: February 09, 2021, 01:22:44 PM »
I don't know enough about Otzelberger to say he'd be better or worse than Wojo. But he certainly hasn't distinguished himself any more than Wojo has.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #629 on: February 09, 2021, 01:36:08 PM »
Otz has the same record as Wojo despite playing a much worse schedule. I don't think many people are going to be calling him this offseason.

Any comparisons of coaches needs to be a new possible coach's resume, vs Wojo's resume prior ro Marquette, to make a rough apples to apples comparison. Comparing Wojo's time at Marquette vs someone else prior to Marquette doesn't make much sense.

So it would be Wojo prior to MU vs anyone else prior to MU.

(It is expected that Marquette is not going to get a current Head Coach that is already in Power 5/Big East.)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #630 on: February 09, 2021, 01:41:09 PM »
After Crean and Buzz, it sure seems like the biggest coaching criteria for MU fans is "will this be a destination job for Coach _____?"

I don't care if it is or isn't. Let's just get a guy in who knows what he's doing and go from there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #631 on: February 09, 2021, 01:45:48 PM »
Any comparisons of coaches needs to be a new possible coach's resume, vs Wojo's resume prior ro Marquette, to make a rough apples to apples comparison. Comparing Wojo's time at Marquette vs someone else prior to Marquette doesn't make much sense.

So it would be Wojo prior to MU vs anyone else prior to MU.

(It is expected that Marquette is not going to get a current Head Coach that is already in Power 5/Big East.)

I'm not trying to compare anyone. What I'm speaking to is the reality that usually (not always but in the vast majority of cases) mid-major coaches who are hired by P6 schools are coming off good seasons, not seasons like what Otz is having at UNLV this year. Bringing Wojo into it wasn't to compare him to Otz, it was to show how bad of a season UNLV is having.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 01:48:06 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #632 on: February 09, 2021, 02:04:53 PM »
I'm not trying to compare anyone. What I'm speaking to is the reality that usually (not always but in the vast majority of cases) mid-major coaches who are hired by P6 schools are coming off good seasons, not seasons like what Otz is having at UNLV this year. Bringing Wojo into it wasn't to compare him to Otz, it was to show how bad of a season UNLV is having.

And that's fine, and fair, but different. There are sometimes cases where a coach gets a job after a season than wasn't as good as some previous seasons. I don't think it is a deal breaker when that happens, depending on the extreme, and situation.

With TJO, he clearly did well at South Dakota St. winning two league tiles in a short amount of time in a rebuild.

As an assistant at Iowa St., Under both McDermott and Hoiberg, his team success was clearly better under Hoiberg after slow go for a while as a team under McDermott. It remains to be seen what he can do at UNLV.

McDermott is an interesting example of a coach that did well in the MVC at Northern Iowa, left for BIg 12, struggled in four seasons, came back to MVC, did well again, and transitioned better when that team entered the Big East.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #633 on: February 09, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »
If you're looking at the MWC, I'd be calling Craig Smith before I called TJO.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #634 on: February 09, 2021, 02:26:20 PM »
If you're looking at the MWC, I'd be calling Craig Smith before I called TJO.

Personally, I'd call Smith and Medved before Otz. Smith is an interesting choice. Minnesota roots, most of his experience in the midwest prior to his current gig. Been successful at each of his three head coaching stops. I'd be a little nervous though because he's never been any place long enough to see if he can string recruiting cycles together. Could be he's just winning with other coaches players.
TAMU

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #635 on: February 09, 2021, 03:29:35 PM »
I feel like if we move on this year we most likely end up with TJO. I could see a slight possibility of Oats if he really wants return to Wisconsin.

DeVries is a possibility--McDermott and Altman roots. But might just be too much of a "name du jour" than a proven commodity.

Plus, his AD is Scholls' protege who left MU to take the job at Drake.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #636 on: February 11, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »
So here's a wildcard option that I haven't seen anyone else discussing yet. He checks a lot of boxes that I think MU or any P6 program would be looking for in a new HC candidate.

- Former All-American player from a P6 powerhouse
- Played 10+ years in the NBA
- Assistant coaching experience for big time programs (with tournament success)
- Proven college recruiter
- Has sent several players to the NBA
- Assistant coaching experience in the NBA
- Current head coach with recent 20+ win season

Nice resume, right? I want that guy.

And who is that guy you might ask? Damon Stoudamire.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/ncaa/damon-stoudamire-hired-head-coach-pacific

MU82

• All American
« Reply #637 on: February 11, 2021, 03:04:30 PM »
So here's a wildcard option that I haven't seen anyone else discussing yet. He checks a lot of boxes that I think MU or any P6 program would be looking for in a new HC candidate.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/ncaa/damon-stoudamire-hired-head-coach-pacific

Always liked him as a player. Didn't realize he's been a successful coach.

Sure, put him on the list!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #638 on: February 11, 2021, 03:52:13 PM »

Can the MU administration overlook his past? He's also only had one winning season at UOP.

His stint with the Portland Trail Blazers was marred by several marijuana related incidents including one during the 2002–03 season where, with then-starting power forward Rasheed Wallace, his yellow Hummer was pulled over on I-5 for speeding and driving under the influence of marijuana.[14] In July 2003, after his third arrest for marijuana possession, he was fined $250,000 and was suspended by the team for three months.[15] Blazers president Steve Patterson announced that he wanted to void Stoudamire's contract, but did not find a provision in the contract that would allow him to do so.[15]

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #639 on: February 11, 2021, 04:07:57 PM »
Can the MU administration overlook his past? He's also only had one winning season at UOP.

His stint with the Portland Trail Blazers was marred by several marijuana related incidents including one during the 2002–03 season where, with then-starting power forward Rasheed Wallace, his yellow Hummer was pulled over on I-5 for speeding and driving under the influence of marijuana.[14] In July 2003, after his third arrest for marijuana possession, he was fined $250,000 and was suspended by the team for three months.[15] Blazers president Steve Patterson announced that he wanted to void Stoudamire's contract, but did not find a provision in the contract that would allow him to do so.[15]

Oh won't someone please think of the children!

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #640 on: February 11, 2021, 04:12:06 PM »

Eh, he got a few tickers 20 years ago. I would hope that wouldn't be a deal-breaker. He's had a lot of success in his post-NBA career, and if I have my timing right, I think he also avoided the scandals that were tied to the schools he was at.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #641 on: February 11, 2021, 04:39:20 PM »

Despite that, he still played another 2 seasons in Portland, including one where he won a bet with a columnist about passing random drug tests during the season, and another 4 in the league after that.  He was hardly a bad apple.

As for UOP,  not only did he take over a bad team, his predecessor was fired for NCAA violations.  He had to rebuild and did a decent job in a short time.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #642 on: February 11, 2021, 04:55:43 PM »
Despite that, he still played another 2 seasons in Portland, including one where he won a bet with a columnist about passing random drug tests during the season, and another 4 in the league after that.  He was hardly a bad apple.

As for UOP,  not only did he take over a bad team, his predecessor was fired for NCAA violations.  He had to rebuild and did a decent job in a short time.

but is that enough for the MU administration and BOT? I'm not advocating against him (though he'll probably stay on the WC), just trying to get in the heads of the decision makers.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #643 on: February 11, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »
but is that enough for the MU administration and BOT? I'm not advocating against him (though he'll probably stay on the WC), just trying to get in the heads of the decision makers.

I think it would be, but I agree he won’t come East.  He can lock up a Pac12 gig in the next few years if he keeps UOP improving and steady.

Funny enough, his father left his mother to go work at a brewery in Milwaukee.  So he probably hated Milwaukee anyways  :o

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #644 on: February 11, 2021, 05:31:27 PM »
I didn’t go 25 pages deep here, but I’m assuming we’re all in agreement that the first phone call is to John Beilein.

This should be a layup.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #645 on: February 11, 2021, 05:32:07 PM »

Oh no! A guy smokes pot! Stop the presses
Bring back FFP!!!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #646 on: February 11, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »
The next head coach has to have head coaching experience, no question. No more hiring up-and-coming assistants.  We struck gold with O'Neill and Crean (you can include Buzz if you want, but he was a HC at New Orleans).  Need someone that knows first-hand the role and what it takes to lead a program.

My pool of candidates to reach out to would be Beilein, Matta, Wardle, DeVries, Moser and Nagy. I would also send feelers out to Crean, only because if there is anyone that could sell people on the excitement and potential about MUBB again from day one, it's him. I doubt he would reciprocate interest. It would also be nice to see the program go after a proven P6 standing head coach and not one that is unemployed.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #647 on: February 11, 2021, 05:59:42 PM »
The next head coach has to have head coaching experience, no question. No more hiring up-and-coming assistants.  We struck gold with O'Neill and Crean (you can include Buzz if you want, but he was a HC at New Orleans).  Need someone that knows first-hand the role and what it takes to lead a program.

My pool of candidates to reach out to would be Beilein, Matta, Wardle, DeVries, Moser and Nagy. I would also send feelers out to Crean, only because if there is anyone that could sell people on the excitement and potential about MUBB again from day one, it's him. I doubt he would reciprocate interest. It would also be nice to see the program go after a proven P6 standing head coach and not one that is unemployed.

I honestly think Crean would love to come back here. I don’t think that would excite the fan base that much.

I like your list otherwise. Maybe sub Craig Smith for Wardle. I do agree, if he wasn’t an alum, he wouldn’t be mentioned.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #648 on: February 11, 2021, 06:07:11 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #649 on: February 11, 2021, 06:31:17 PM »
Hard to imagine bringing Crean back. We're against Wojo and he's only been getting booed for the past year and a half at home. Crean's been getting that treatment for over a decade already.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback