'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163731 times)

Boozemon Barro

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #525 on: January 31, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »

I bet there are exactly zero people working at Marquette with "administrator" in their title.

In that case go with coordinator or liason.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #526 on: January 31, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
Pump the brakes.  Moser is still under .500 in conference at Loyola, barely .500 there and for his career, and his team this year is feasting on a weak schedule.  They are are 1-3 in Quad 1/2 games.  Their best win is Indiana St, who would be the bottom of the Big East.  Missouri St today would be their best win but they are barely a top 75 team.  They weren’t really competitive with Wisconsin.  Let’s see how they handle Drake

I get all that. Watch them play. They are very well coached. I would like MU to be very well coached too.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #527 on: January 31, 2021, 05:05:02 PM »
I get all that. Watch them play. They are very well coached. I would like MU to be very well coached too.
Now up to 16 in Pomeroy

Knights Commission

• Walk-On
« Reply #528 on: January 31, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »
Jamie McNeily

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #529 on: January 31, 2021, 05:20:19 PM »
What some people don't understand, is mentioning Wardle's name, as many have, but not include Moser's in the same sentence. Many mention one without the other.

Moser's teams have had better seasons, every single season than Wardle's overlapping the same six seasons, in the same league. He also has a Final Four, Two Regular Season MVC League Titles, and a 2nd place finish in the past three seasons.

This year appears to be the fourth straight finish at our near the top of their league. They are 22 in Ken Pomeroy, 25 in NCAA Net right now. As of this past week, Gonzaga, SLU, Houston are the only other non Power 5/Big East teams to be top 50 adjusted offense and defense in Ken Pomeroy. They've already swept Bradley at Bradley.  Loyola Chicago is (14-3, 9-1) thus far this season.

By contrast Wardle has finished in the top four in the MVC once, and, he's had a winning league record once at Bradley.  They are (9-9, 3-6) thus far this season.

Sure. FWIW, I’m not a Wardle guy either. They are both perfectly fine mid major coaches that are in the right spots for them. I’m not eager to hire either.  If Wardle didn’t play for Marquette he would be nowhere near the radar.  Off radar like he would be for any other BEast or power conference program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #530 on: January 31, 2021, 05:41:28 PM »
Sure. FWIW, I’m not a Wardle guy either. They are both perfectly fine mid major coaches that are in the right spots for them. I’m not eager to hire either.  If Wardle didn’t play for Marquette he would be nowhere near the radar.  Off radar like he would be for any other BEast or power conference program.

Fair enough. I would also add that Moser is clearly a different coach since his assistant stint with Majerus.
It's clear that Moser has had signficantly better results than Wardle thus far, during a similar time frame, in the same league.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #531 on: January 31, 2021, 06:37:05 PM »
Fair enough. I would also add that Moser is clearly a different coach since his assistant stint with Majerus.
It's clear that Moser has had signficantly better results than Wardle thus far, during a similar time frame, in the same league.

Yep, bring Majerus ball back full circle. It clicked for the guy. His entire roster has buy-in and they look like they're having fun. That's what this program needs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #532 on: January 31, 2021, 06:54:32 PM »
Give me Moser over Wardle 18 days a week. I’m confident Moser would have a well coached team on the court. My concern would be whether he can recruit the talent needed to win at a Big East level.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2021, 06:58:21 PM »
Give me Moser over Wardle 18 days a week. I’m confident Moser would have a well coached team on the court. My concern would be whether he can recruit the talent needed to win at a Big East level.
I am not sure he is right for us. There is a reason he has found nothing else since the Final Four. Ask people that know about his relationship with Majerus.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2021, 07:34:29 PM »
I am not sure he is right for us. There is a reason he has found nothing else since the Final Four. Ask people that know about his relationship with Majerus.

As luck would have it, I know some of those people. Let's just say your implications, and my information aren't similar.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:38:43 PM by shoothoops »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2021, 07:38:54 PM »

Anything more you can share? Always thought he just felt comfortable at Loyola

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2021, 07:39:12 PM »
As luck would have it, I know some of those people.

Do tell!

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2021, 07:41:46 PM »
Anything more you can share? Always thought he just felt comfortable at Loyola
Not much I can share (a really solid source) but I know his rep in the hoops community is not great.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2021, 07:52:11 PM »
Not much I can share (a really solid source) but I know his rep in the hoops community is not great.

As in not a reputable coach? or a d*ck to people? Or a weirdo oddball no one likes?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2021, 08:03:30 PM »

No kidding, fascinating.

How much of a laughingstock is Wojo since you’re in the know? 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #540 on: January 31, 2021, 08:04:12 PM »
Do tell!

Let’s just say my “sources” are pretty strong on this one, and, that my information about Majerus and Moser is very different from Gato78’s. Let’s put it this way. I am not uncertain.

But to give you something else that’s more public, about Moser’s job prospects, it’s well documented that Moser turned down UNLV, St. John’s some others to stay at Loyola. He also turned down a few opportunities while an assistant at SLU before taking the job at Loyola Chicago.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:06:26 PM by shoothoops »

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #541 on: January 31, 2021, 08:07:50 PM »
Let’s just say my “sources” are pretty strong on this one, and, that my information about Majerus and Moser is very different from Gato78’s. I am not uncertain.

But to give you something else that’s more public, about Moser’s job prospects, it’s well documented that Moser turned down UNLV, St. John’s some others to stay at Loyola. He also turned down a few opportunities while an assistant at SLU before taking the job at Loyola Chicago. I’m not sure if Gato78 is talking about specific Power 5 positions or something else.
No kidding, fascinating.

How much of a laughingstock is Wojo since you’re in the know?

I am pretty sure of this, too. Perhaps people on different sides of the equation are our sources. Wojo isn’t a laughingstock at all. Now that may be because of his lineage because he is tied at the hip to Coach K but he is not considered a laughingstock by any stretch.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #542 on: January 31, 2021, 08:11:27 PM »
I am pretty sure of this, too. Perhaps people on different sides of the equation are our sources. Wojo isn’t a laughingstock at all. Now that may be because of his lineage because he is tied at the hip to Coach K but he is not considered a laughingstock by any stretch.

I think we found Lovell’s burner

panda

• All American
« Reply #543 on: January 31, 2021, 08:11:45 PM »

He’s not a laughingstock but he’s far from highly regarded.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #544 on: January 31, 2021, 08:17:02 PM »

Ok, whew.  So glad all the evidence of 7 years isn’t what it seemed to be.  Then yes, definitely bring him back as you recommend. Eight seasons will be the charm.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #545 on: January 31, 2021, 08:50:15 PM »

I was trying to be polite and understated. Nope. My "sources" are on "both sides" as well as neutral sides. (Spoiler alert, there are no sides) One of my sources died 8 years ago. A few of that person's closest friends in both St. Louis (as well as the other side) and basketball from 2007-2012, just so happen to be close to me too as luck would have it. My experiences are pretty direct, in the building, at the table, in the gym with both, and others, for long periods.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:59:40 PM by shoothoops »

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #546 on: January 31, 2021, 08:54:27 PM »
I think we found Lovell’s burner
Funny you say that but I am more inclined to say Lovell should go before Wojo. From the deal for the SPorts Performance Center to the fenced off lot that was going to be an athletic center but is now going to be the business school, I have no clue what is going on in the upper reaches.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #547 on: January 31, 2021, 08:58:14 PM »
Speaking of hot coaches, Casey Alexander is having some fun right now.

Belmont has won 30 of its last 31 games.

As a player he won 30 games three times at Belmont. As a 16 year assistant at Belmont to Rick Byrd, he helped lead the Bruins to 6 of their first 8 NCAA's.

As a coach he led Lipscomb to their first ever NCAA appearance and the NIT Finals.

He is the 2018 Skip Prosser Award Winner.

He won the league and 26 games in his first year back at Belmont last year taking over as Head Coach after Rick Byrd retired.

He has the Bruins in the top 25 in 15 statistical categories. (18-1, 12-0)

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #548 on: February 01, 2021, 03:29:16 PM »
He’s not a laughingstock but he’s far from highly regarded.
He is fast turning himself and the program into a BEast bottom dweller judging by his coaching prowess
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TheGoldenBreakdown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #549 on: February 01, 2021, 03:40:44 PM »
I was trying to be polite and understated. Nope. My "sources" are on "both sides" as well as neutral sides. (Spoiler alert, there are no sides) One of my sources died 8 years ago. A few of that person's closest friends in both St. Louis (as well as the other side) and basketball from 2007-2012, just so happen to be close to me too as luck would have it. My experiences are pretty direct, in the building, at the table, in the gym with both, and others, for long periods.

This makes sense to me, and is the impression I've always gotten (admittedly casually observing from afar)