[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163687 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #500 on: January 30, 2021, 10:07:17 PM »

Anecdotally I will say this is been going on for a couple of years, and honestly I don't get it.  They know what other schools are offering, and they haven't changed their strategy.  Their endowment, though smaller than their peers. isn't THAT bad.

It’s been that way since the mid 2000s. I got a ton more financial aid offered to me than other similar schools. I chose Marquette anyway. My brother got offered a ton more from other similar schools and chose one of them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #501 on: January 30, 2021, 11:06:51 PM »
Hmmm ... looks like I'd better start thinking about which college basketball team I'll start rooting for when Marquette drops D1 sports or, even worse, closes shop entirely.

Oh well ... it's been a good(ish) run.

Seriously, I've gotten something out of a lot of y'all's posts, so thanks. Being as removed as I am from Milwaukee, it's difficult to follow what's going on. The insights here have been valuable. Thanks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #502 on: January 30, 2021, 11:36:12 PM »
Note to self: Look to the words against you per post when you win a thread.

Back to the topic.  The MU admin will not hire a coach MU fans want as they will not allow the recruitment of the players needed to win.

To follow:  Thousands of words from the woke to defend the opposite.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #503 on: January 30, 2021, 11:47:04 PM »

Back to the topic.  The MU admin will not hire a coach MU fans want as they will not allow the recruitment of the players needed to win.

Can you elaborate on the admission requirements? I don’t know much about MU or any other Big East school’s admission policy for athletes, but I’m a little skeptical that MU’s is holding back the program in a significant way.  Furthermore it seems like they’ve had plenty talent in the program over the last 7 years. Maybe not elite, but certainly enough talent to be a Top 25 program.

Royale

• Walk-On
« Reply #504 on: January 31, 2021, 12:02:06 AM »
If Marquette drops D1 sports, that'd be the surest sign of a seismic problem.

Unfortunately, athletic success is one of the strongest predictors of prospective student applications. Butler University was a pretty middling academic institution. They upped their profile significantly after back-to-back NCAA championship games. Villanova, a fairly similar academic institution, is booming in applications, because students want that big campus sports experience.

Universities pay big money for coaches, because the potential return is nearly incalculable. It would take decades to build the reputation of a marketable academic unit and then capitalize on it in any meaningful way. One national championship changes everything on Wisconsin Avenue over night. (Honestly, this fact is likely the most damning of any facts with regard to the present state of advanced education in America.)

While I don't know what this says about Wojo and his status, I do know that were the university to throw in the towel on sports, it's likely a sign that the university is about to become unrecognizably different.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #505 on: January 31, 2021, 12:24:36 AM »
Can you elaborate on the admission requirements? I don’t know much about MU or any other Big East school’s admission policy for athletes, but I’m a little skeptical that MU’s is holding back the program in a significant way.  Furthermore it seems like they’ve had plenty talent in the program over the last 7 years. Maybe not elite, but certainly enough talent to be a Top 25 program.

Of note:

Out: Wade, Mo, Lazar, Todd, Jae, Ooze, Trend, Burke, David C, Junior, Vander, Maymon, Reggie, Buycks, Todd T, R Jax
Maybe:  Wes, Jer, JFB, DJO, Dom, Jamil

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #506 on: January 31, 2021, 12:41:52 AM »

It takes a lot of words with you because you’ve shifted the goalposts like 18 times in the thread. Hard to lose the thread when every time your point is proven wrong you completely change the argument.

No sports teams have had a JUCO in a decade. Proven wrong.
Great. Glad to see ONE sport has had a JUCO in a decade. MUBB hasn’t in over a decade. Proven wrong.
Great. MU has lost their identity and doesn’t have diversity anymore. Proven wrong.
Great. Other schools similar to Marquette are more diverse. Hey! You got something right!
Back in my time at MU we had our priorities straight at this university!

You got us!

Of note:

Out: Wade, Mo, Lazar, Todd, Jae, Ooze, Trend, Burke, David C, Junior, Vander, Maymon, Reggie, Buycks, Todd T, R Jax

Now this is flat out laughably preposterous.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #507 on: January 31, 2021, 12:58:17 AM »
It takes a lot of words with you because you’ve shifted the goalposts like 18 times in the thread. Hard to lose the thread when every time your point is proven wrong you completely change the argument.

No sports teams have had a JUCO in a decade. Proven wrong.
Great. Glad to see ONE sport has had a JUCO in a decade. MUBB hasn’t in over a decade. Proven wrong.
Great. MU has lost their identity and doesn’t have diversity anymore. Proven wrong.
Great. Other schools similar to Marquette are more diverse. Hey! You got something right!
Back in my time at MU we had our priorities straight at this university!

You got us!

Now this is flat out laughably preposterous.

Fair. So what's your point?  My 18 points are clear. Who's your next coach? Topic

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #508 on: January 31, 2021, 06:45:36 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Blackheart link=topic=5961N3.msg1303447#msg1303447 date=1612071372

Wojo's problems have not been recruiting the players Marquette needs to win.  The idea that the only way you can win is be recruiting Jucos or other marginally academic students is a strange one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #509 on: January 31, 2021, 08:37:24 AM »

Wojo's problems have not been recruiting the players Marquette needs to win.  The idea that the only way you can win is be recruiting Jucos or other marginally academic students is a strange one.

So, recruiting a DWade, Walton, Whitehead, Lackey, JFB,  Jae is "strange"?  Got it.  What's really "strange" is MU honoring them recently. Stranger yet, is Scoop's solution in this thread is to replace Wojo with coaches who have been successful recruiting "marginally academic students".

• All American
« Reply #510 on: January 31, 2021, 08:44:35 AM »
So, recruiting a DWade, Walton, Whitehead, Lackey, JFB,  Jae is "strange"?  Got it.  What's really "strange" is MU honoring them recently. Stranger yet, is Scoop's solution in this thread is to replace Wojo with coaches who have been successful recruiting "marginally academic students".

No.  You are being illogical.  Just because a player like Jae wouldn't be recruited now, and a player like Wade would either have to spend a year at prep school or attend a Juco, doesn't mean that's the only way a team can win.

Like many, many college programs, Marquette can win with players who fully qualify academically.  IMO, they had that team two years ago and they blew it down the stretch. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #511 on: January 31, 2021, 08:59:33 AM »

Of note:

Yeah,  this list isn't even close to accurate. Jae and Mayo are the only four sure nos. Wade, Buycks, and Trend are the only maybes (if Wade went to prep school,  yes.
If he went to juco, maybe)  . The rest Wojo would have the green light to recruit. Unless you are implying that Marquette cheated to get the others eligible.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #512 on: January 31, 2021, 09:36:30 AM »

Of note:

I get what you’re saying, but what specifically has changed? Has the GPA requirement been raised? Test scores? Prep schools?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #513 on: January 31, 2021, 12:17:02 PM »
I'm not going to begin to even pretend to understand the inner workings or long-term financial stability of Marquette University.  However, just looking at where the Marquette athletics department is positioned today, I have a very hard time understanding and envisioning that it will do anything to allow itself to become de-emphasized and/or eliminated. 

Just take a look at the Big East.  Marquette University is in the top grouping of enrollment, the top-half of endowment and in the top grouping of academics.  If Marquette is in trouble, then an overwhelming majority, if not its entirety of the Big East is in trouble.  Marquette, like a majority of the Big East, does not sponsor football - which is, arguably the greatest money loser for the majority of D1 athletic programs.  Basketball is the largest revenue generator and marketer for the school.  Regardless of the feelings and perceptions of the current leadership of the school, they, too, see and understand this.  There was no reason to get involved with Fiserv and continue to host games there if that were not the case, and MU would not be spending as much as it does on the men's basketball (I believe it remains a top-10 program in the country on annual average spending per year) if this remained the case. 

I honestly have no clue what the school will choose to do with Wojo.  I continue to believe that if the team continues to bottom out, the school - from a financial perspective - will have no choice but to make a change (the projections of empty seats, lower fan support, lower alumni donations and less community engagement will be of higher concern than the immediate expense of a staff buyout, easily).  However, the doom and gloomers really need to take a step back and look at some cold hard facts.  MU, and the C7, had the opportunity to de-emphasize athletics (namely, basketball) but moving towards the A10 in 2013; they chose not to.  MU, and the Big East, are the highest paid non-football conference in the country and have a national television schedule and following.  All schools, not just Marquette, are facing a course correction in terms of tuition, enrollment and spending. 

The team is not good this year, and that's ok.  The trajectory and projection for the program is also not where it should be, and that's ok too.  MU Basketball will be back and competing for a top-spot in the Big East soon.  We all just need to realize that this is down period and it is absolutely correctable. 

• All American
« Reply #514 on: January 31, 2021, 12:31:28 PM »
Marquette’s not dropping D1 athletics. That’s nonsense.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #515 on: January 31, 2021, 01:12:40 PM »
I'm not going to begin to even pretend to understand the inner workings or long-term financial stability of Marquette University.  However, just looking at where the Marquette athletics department is positioned today, I have a very hard time understanding and envisioning that it will do anything to allow itself to become de-emphasized and/or eliminated. 

Just take a look at the Big East.  Marquette University is in the top grouping of enrollment, the top-half of endowment and in the top grouping of academics.  If Marquette is in trouble, then an overwhelming majority, if not its entirety of the Big East is in trouble.  Marquette, like a majority of the Big East, does not sponsor football - which is, arguably the greatest money loser for the majority of D1 athletic programs.  Basketball is the largest revenue generator and marketer for the school.  Regardless of the feelings and perceptions of the current leadership of the school, they, too, see and understand this.  There was no reason to get involved with Fiserv and continue to host games there if that were not the case, and MU would not be spending as much as it does on the men's basketball (I believe it remains a top-10 program in the country on annual average spending per year) if this remained the case. 

I honestly have no clue what the school will choose to do with Wojo.  I continue to believe that if the team continues to bottom out, the school - from a financial perspective - will have no choice but to make a change (the projections of empty seats, lower fan support, lower alumni donations and less community engagement will be of higher concern than the immediate expense of a staff buyout, easily).  However, the doom and gloomers really need to take a step back and look at some cold hard facts.  MU, and the C7, had the opportunity to de-emphasize athletics (namely, basketball) but moving towards the A10 in 2013; they chose not to.  MU, and the Big East, are the highest paid non-football conference in the country and have a national television schedule and following.  All schools, not just Marquette, are facing a course correction in terms of tuition, enrollment and spending. 

The team is not good this year, and that's ok.  The trajectory and projection for the program is also not where it should be, and that's ok too.  MU Basketball will be back and competing for a top-spot in the Big East soon.  We all just need to realize that this is down period and it is absolutely correctable.
You are wrong that it is OK that the team is not good. You are wrong that it is OK that the program is not where it should be. And if Wojo-Dukiet continues to be the coach, you are wrong that basketball will be back. Wojo-Dukiet has taken this program downhill. That is apparent.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #516 on: January 31, 2021, 01:52:05 PM »
You are wrong that it is OK that the team is not good. You are wrong that it is OK that the program is not where it should be. And if Wojo-Dukiet continues to be the coach, you are wrong that basketball will be back. Wojo-Dukiet has taken this program downhill. That is apparent.

I agree - and I should have clarified: it’s NOT ok where we are or how we have been playing.  But those two things will not continue over fear of financial impact.  Those two things very much create a larger financial impact.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #517 on: January 31, 2021, 02:38:39 PM »
Agreed.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

connie

• All American
« Reply #518 on: January 31, 2021, 02:57:35 PM »
Does it need anything more than the obvious answer?

Its pretty common knowledge that I work for Texas A&M University. That is a much more financially stable institution than Marquette with an endowment that makes Marquette's endowment look like my bank account. We have had to lay off a lot of staff, entire departments have been gutted, budgets cut, merit gone, hiring freezes, etc. And we are as stable financially as it gets in the higher education world.

We are going to see tectonic shift in higher education after the next 10-20 years. There are too many universities, charging too much money, for job prospects that don't make nearly enough to pay off the student loan debt. Plus, its been known for awhile now that there is a demographic shift coming that is going to shrink the amount of students going to college. After the 2008 recession, families, particularly middle class families which produce the bulk of prospective college students, have been having less and less kids. Some regions such as the south are seeing a population surge as people flee from the midwest and east coast, but other regions are about to hit hard with a scarcity of possible enrollees. Universities, particularly liberal arts schools, are going to have to be financially innovative to survive the next couple of decades. Many will close. Wisconsin already had its first causality with Holy Family College up on Mantiwoc closing its doors this year. More will follow. I think Marquette survives because they are still considered a top 100 university but they will need to be creative and smart to make it work.
Excellent points.

Let's not forget that MU is doing everything possible to eliminate elements that made the University unique.  Hard to attract students when you are just another liberal arts college in the upper midwest.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #519 on: January 31, 2021, 03:29:22 PM »
I become more sold on the Moser idea by the minute.

We get a bit of a real-time taste test on Sunday, with Loyola playing @Missouri St. on CBS Sports Net at 2 p.m. CST while MU tips at 2:30 CST on FOX. Will I be the only one flipping back & forth?

Quite the dichotomy thus far if anyone took me up on this lol

I hope the admnin is doing the same!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #520 on: January 31, 2021, 03:36:21 PM »
At this point, I’d be good with some on this board coaching.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #521 on: January 31, 2021, 03:45:58 PM »
Quite the dichotomy thus far if anyone took me up on this lol

I hope the admnin is doing the same!

Pump the brakes.  Moser is still under .500 in conference at Loyola, barely .500 there and for his career, and his team this year is feasting on a weak schedule.  They are are 1-3 in Quad 1/2 games.  Their best win is Indiana St, who would be the bottom of the Big East.  Missouri St today would be their best win but they are barely a top 75 team.  They weren’t really competitive with Wisconsin.  Let’s see how they handle Drake

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #522 on: January 31, 2021, 04:22:53 PM »
Pump the brakes.  Moser is still under .500 in conference at Loyola, barely .500 there and for his career, and his team this year is feasting on a weak schedule.  They are are 1-3 in Quad 1/2 games.  Their best win is Indiana St, who would be the bottom of the Big East.  Missouri St today would be their best win but they are barely a top 75 team.  They weren’t really competitive with Wisconsin.  Let’s see how they handle Drake

What some people don't understand, is mentioning Wardle's name, as many have, but not include Moser's in the same sentence. Many mention one without the other.

Moser's teams have had better seasons, every single season than Wardle's overlapping the same six seasons, in the same league. He also has a Final Four, Two Regular Season MVC League Titles, and a 2nd place finish in the past three seasons.

This year appears to be the fourth straight finish at our near the top of their league. They are 16 in Ken Pomeroy, 25 in NCAA Net right now. As of this past week, Gonzaga, SLU, Houston are the only other non Power 5/Big East teams to be top 50 adjusted offense and defense in Ken Pomeroy. They've already swept Bradley at Bradley.  Loyola Chicago is (14-3, 9-1) thus far this season.

By contrast Wardle has finished in the top four in the MVC once, and, he's had a winning league record once at Bradley.  They are (9-9, 3-6) thus far this season.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 05:16:39 PM by shoothoops »

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #523 on: January 31, 2021, 04:33:02 PM »
A good place to start for fixing MU's financial troubles is to immediately lay off anyone with the word "administrator" in their title, and replace them with their supervisor at the administrator level of pay.

• All American
« Reply #524 on: January 31, 2021, 04:50:07 PM »
A good place to start for fixing MU's financial troubles is to immediately lay off anyone with the word "administrator" in their title, and replace them with their supervisor at the administrator level of pay.

I bet there are exactly zero people working at Marquette with "administrator" in their title.

feedback