[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163721 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #425 on: January 29, 2021, 01:04:04 PM »
Great list. All poor fits for the MU admin.  Why you ask? Academics and who MU now accepts as student athletes. Let's get real...

You forgot DWade might fit!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2021, 01:12:56 PM »
Wow, kind of crazy UW had two coaches pull that stunt.

A former business associate was DOBO under Bennett. He said after the Final Four game, hearing all of the media criticism, Dick told the team and staff he was  going to retire so Sodey could get the job. Richter said no, so Dick came back and pulled his stunt s few games into the season. Even if Vershaw hadn’t clanked those free throws against Georgia State Sodey wasn’t getting the job. Richter thought he had Majerus in the bag.

Grad got lucky going to the Sweet 16 and being named National COY. And having Barry as AD who promoted his own assistant when he retired.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #427 on: January 29, 2021, 01:28:46 PM »
I wonder if Dick hadn't have pulled that stunt, and Richter did end up with Majerus, if Bo would have ever made his way to Wisconsin.

I also wonder if Dick regrets it for the same reason since Bo and him can't stand one another.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #428 on: January 29, 2021, 01:32:38 PM »
Great list. All poor fits for the MU admin.  Why you ask? Academics and who MU now accepts as student athletes. Let's get real...

What do you know about the Drake and Colorado State players academics? Why would they not be welcome at MU (besides most of them not being good enough at basketball)?

Devries spent most of his coaching career at Creighton, I'm not aware of any academic issues with their basketball program and they have the same standards as Marquette. Medved has been at Furman, Drake, and Colorado State. I'm less familiar with their programs but again am not aware of any academic issues with any of his teams.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:34:32 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #429 on: January 29, 2021, 01:44:57 PM »
If they just need a pretty face on the sideline who will run a clean program, I will coach for free until they have paid off their Wojo debt. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2021, 02:03:43 PM »
Show us your pics, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2021, 02:18:17 PM »
If we are going to have scoopers, I nominate $5 pitcher.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2021, 02:29:28 PM »

I nominate Guru, he's made it clear he does not tolerate losing of any kind so we'll only have undefeated seasons

Of course if I had to guess he's probably got some chats with the fbi keeping him busy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2021, 02:45:30 PM »
willie

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #434 on: January 29, 2021, 03:05:43 PM »
gurus gone awol

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #435 on: January 29, 2021, 03:12:42 PM »
gurus gone awol

Nope, I'm pretty sure its a permanent vacation.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #436 on: January 29, 2021, 03:16:49 PM »
Nope, I'm pretty sure its a permanent vacation.

Overall or just from Scoop?  Because he's posted elsewhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #437 on: January 29, 2021, 04:06:14 PM »

Dude why are you dissing your not-so-secret admirer!?!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #438 on: January 29, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »
For the good of the program.  $5 has shown a basic knowledge of basketball.   Willie is so one-note that I am really not sure he watches the games.   While it would be personally nice to have a groupie in charge, I have to look to the good of the program.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #439 on: January 29, 2021, 05:44:36 PM »
What do you know about the Drake and Colorado State players academics? Why would they not be welcome at MU (besides most of them not being good enough at basketball)?

Devries spent most of his coaching career at Creighton, I'm not aware of any academic issues with their basketball program and they have the same standards as Marquette. Medved has been at Furman, Drake, and Colorado State. I'm less familiar with their programs but again am not aware of any academic issues with any of his teams.

Here is what I do know: Both schools have JUCO student athletes on rosters for all their sports teams. The entirety of ALL MU sports have zero.

Now, we can continue this argument as in the past, but the fact remains, the last two JUCOS to play any sport at MU were Jae and DJO.

MU has taken on the ND rule about academics and student athletes. It's fine for MU to admit it (you know how I strongly feel about it). But to think that any of those coaches would be a good fit with the MU requirements is a fallacy. No Rhodes Scholar JUCO stud is walking through The Al's doors.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2021, 05:58:46 PM »
Here is what I do know: Both schools have JUCO student athletes on rosters for all their sports teams. The entirety of ALL MU sports have zero.

Now, we can continue this argument as in the past, but the fact remains, the last two JUCOS to play any sport at MU were Jae and DJO.

MU has taken on the ND rule about academics and student athletes. It's fine for MU to admit it (you know how I strongly feel about it). But to think that any of those coaches would be a good fit with the MU requirements is a fallacy. No Rhodes Scholar JUCO stud is walking through The Al's doors.

Most JUCO transfers are in MBB, football and Baseball, the last two  which we don’t have. A small number in MSOC and WBB.

Wake Forest hoops hasn’t had a JUCO in many years and yet they hired Forbes who had nothing but at his last school. At a school like MU a coach can get a higher level of player and not need to mine the JUCO ranks, which after happens late in the recruiting process.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2021, 06:23:23 PM »

So basically, MU has changed the way they run the basketball program, and have changed their expectations for the program internally, but they haven't relayed that to the fanbase.  If they'd have just been honest and told everyone they wanted to be more like Northwestern going forward instead of, say, Cincinnati under Bob Huggins, the last seven years would've been far less infuriating.  I would've checked out a long time ago, and I think many others would have, too.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »
I have never heard any MUBB fan refer to any Wisky coach by a cute little nickname....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2021, 07:03:50 PM »

But you don't know this. First off meet Matheus Pereira (https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/matheus-pereira/5255) Proud graduate of Marshalltown Community College and member of the men's soccer team. I honestly haven't checked the roster for other programs over the past 7ish years but I knew this one off the top of my head. He's been brought up here before but I assume you missed it the last time this discussion was had.

Second, Niko Medved doesn't have any JUCOs on his team. Not a one. In fact, he's never recruited a JUCO to Colorado State. I don't know what he did in his one year at Drake or his previous years at Furman but unless you know something else about him there was no reason to include him here.

Devries does have three jucos on his team. I have no idea what their academic situation is, but if they could graduate before their eligibility ran out, they would be welcome at MU.

Moreover, Marquette wouldn't disqualify a coach for recruiting a JUCO in the past. There might be a concern that if all of a coach's success was based on getting the best JUCOs that it might not translate to the high major level given the low number of high major ready JUCOs (which was my concern with Forbes at Wake) but neither Devries or Medved match that description.

This isn't true. One, Mr. Pereira. Two, Jameel McKay was admitted after the so called Crowder rule was instated. He left without ever playing in a game, but that was because of Buzz not the admin.

There is nothing to admit. Marquette's standard is that it needs to be possible for a player to graduate before their eligibility expires. That's the bar. It's not a high one. And its a standard that many schools have, not just Marquette or ND. It does disproportionally impact JUCOs because many of them major in PE and Marquette doesn't have a comparable program to transfer those credits into and with only 2 years of eligibility left for many of them, graduating is impossible. I know for a fact that Wojo has offered several JUCOs, some who didn't major in PE, some who had three years of eligibility and could catch up, and others who were offered on the condition that they would take a redshirt year. Wojo even had one on campus for an official visit but couldn't seal the deal.

There is no blanket ban on JUCOs like you have repeatedly implied. Whoever told you this gave you bad information. The reality is, the amount of high major ready talent is limited at the JUCO level and many majored in a program that Marquette doesn't have so their credits don't transfer. But there is a population of JUCOs that meet the standard and are high major ready and Wojo is free to recruit those, and has. Some coaches have strong inroads at the JUCO level, Wojo doesn't.

Unless you know something not publicly known about Medved or Devries, there is no reason to think they couldn't be candidates for Wojo's job it it were to open.

TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2021, 07:07:33 PM »
So basically, MU has changed the way they run the basketball program, and have changed their expectations for the program internally, but they haven't relayed that to the fanbase.  If they'd have just been honest and told everyone they wanted to be more like Northwestern going forward instead of, say, Cincinnati under Bob Huggins, the last seven years would've been far less infuriating.  I would've checked out a long time ago, and I think many others would have, too.

No expectations have changed. There is a small pool of high major ready players that Wojo isn't able to recruit but hundreds more that he is. A capable coach could win and win big given the parameters Wojo has. To blame any lack of success on this is just an excuse.
TAMU

Freedom Fighter

• Walk-On
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »
Wojo is simply a very bad coach. Decent recruiter, sure, but coach? Awful. Not to mention Marquette does a good job of recruiting itself with the new arena, NBA alum, excellent facilities, etc.

Wojo Sucks. FIRE WOJO

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2021, 07:19:39 PM »
For the good of the program.  $5 has shown a basic knowledge of basketball.   Willie is so one-note that I am really not sure he watches the games.   While it would be personally nice to have a groupie in charge, I have to look to the good of the program.
Towering more full of it and yoursef every day. You know absolutely nothing about me. Just because I was clearly able to see Wojos mediocrity well before many you now resort to your smug BS. You dtill have not admitted that MU has mde a major mistake by committing to this guy for as long as they have. You Sir, are the one note!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2021, 07:20:35 PM »
You gotta love the scoop walk ons who are all about being heard now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2021, 07:21:31 PM »
Wojo isn't an awful coach, which is part of what makes this harder for the administration. They have some evidence (2017, near-title before Howard's 2019 injury, 2 top-10 wins this year) to justify keeping him.

The problem is there isn't enough good to offset the bad and the bad trends we've seen haven't been course corrected. Wojo is a below average coach who's recruited enough talent to occasionally make him look good enough. But considering where most of us think the standards should be set, that isn't good enough.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #449 on: January 29, 2021, 07:34:35 PM »
Wojo isn't an awful coach, which is part of what makes this harder for the administration. They have some evidence (2017, near-title before Howard's 2019 injury, 2 top-10 wins this year) to justify keeping him.

If we're going to use Howard's 2019 injury as an excuse for the collapse (an injury where he still played max minutes with max usage) and also say that 2017 was a good year for Wojo, it needs to be said that in 2017 Marquette played Creighton and Xavier *after* Maurice Watson and Edmond Sumner got hurt, and went 4-0 against those teams.  Both X and Creighton were really good that year, and had it not been for those injuries, we may well have gone 1-3 or 0-4 against those teams and been in the NIT.  Wojo got really lucky that year.  Sure, Markus was injured to end 2019 when Wojo had his best squad (even though Markus still played max minutes with max usage), but Wojo's had some great good fortune at Marquette, too.