'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163737 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2021, 09:03:46 AM »

Barry Alvarez has hired one basketball coach - the one promoted as an assistant who he reportedly wasn't sold on.  He also biffed on a football coaching search and many would say on the latest hockey search.

So we may want to pump the brakes on that one.

I wasn’t referring to an AD. avid pointed out schools too in his post.  UW has an overall excellent almost 30 year track record to support his point.  Since this thread is about potential Wojo replacements, my remarks were about the men’s basketball program.  Trying to stay on course here.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2021, 09:06:59 AM »
Pat Richter hired Jackson, Bennett, and Ryan by the way.  Two home runs and a double to the gap. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2021, 09:16:59 AM »
This hurts to say, but off the top of my head, Badgers are one such school- Bennett, Ryan, Gard.  Even Stu Jackson.  And they pulled the plug very quickly on Van Gundy and Soderberg.

Seriously?  He was 32-25 and his team that made the NCAA tourney lost 6 of their last 8 and skidded into the tourney with a sub 500 record featuring a top 5 Badger ever in Finley, and their best recruit ever at the time in Griffith. There is a reason Stu Jackson’s career has been as an administrator and not a coach.  He was worse than Wojo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2021, 09:21:13 AM »
I guess Wisconsin is an example. Stu Jackson did well in his two years with players recruited by the previous coach. Yoder wasn't good certainly but it was his recruits that Jackson coached. Van Gundy flopped. Then they had two consecutive great hires in Bennett and Ryan. Gard I have a hard time giving Wisconsin credit for because the only reason they hired him was because Ryan gave them no other choice by retiring midseason. Who knows who they would have gotten in a normal coaching search.

Bennett and Ryan were two consecutive great hires. I'm not so sure about Jackson, Van Gundy, and Gard.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2021, 09:22:37 AM »
Butler and Xavier come to mind as obvious answers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »
Seriously?  He was 32-25 and his team that made the NCAA tourney lost 6 of their last 8 and skidded into the tourney with a sub 500 record featuring a top 5 Badger ever in Finley, and their best recruit ever at the time in Griffith. There is a reason Stu Jackson’s career has been as an administrator and not a coach.  He was worse than Wojo.
1992–93   Wisconsin   14–14   7–11   T–8th   NIT First Round
1993–94   Wisconsin   18–11   8–10   7th   NCAA Second Round

that's not worse than wojo.  i understand context matters...but saying wojo would have done any better in stu's place is impossible to prove...but hard to believe. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #406 on: January 29, 2021, 09:27:39 AM »
The list of non-Power 5/Big East schools in Ken Pomeroy top 50 for both adjusted offense and defense:

Loyola Chicago, Houston, Gonzaga, SLU.

I become more sold on the Moser idea by the minute.

We get a bit of a real-time taste test on Sunday, with Loyola playing @Missouri St. on CBS Sports Net at 2 p.m. CST while MU tips at 2:30 CST on FOX. Will I be the only one flipping back & forth?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2021, 09:29:45 AM »

The 1993-94 Badger season was their best season winning percentage wise, and their first NCAA bid, in 47 years. 

I'm not saying he was worse or better than Wojo (different eras, different programs), but it was a hell of an accomplishment.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Freedom Fighter

• Walk-On
« Reply #408 on: January 29, 2021, 09:33:08 AM »
Stan Johnson.

• All American
« Reply #409 on: January 29, 2021, 09:36:43 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #410 on: January 29, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »

Looking at the 93 and 94 stats it looks like Griffith completely owned Jim McIlvaine
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #411 on: January 29, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »
Stan Johnson.
Stick to making an ass out of yourself with bad gofundme requests

• All American
« Reply #412 on: January 29, 2021, 09:42:22 AM »
Looking at the 93 and 94 stats it looks like Griffith completely owned Jim McIlvaine

Griffith was a hell of a player.  Yeah he was overrated as the #2 overall prospect in his class, behind Rasheed Wallace, but he was all Big Ten as a sophomore and was a dominant college big man.  Never made it in the NBA, but part of that was because he was pulling in seven figures overseas in a career that lasted until 2010.

Freedom Fighter

• Walk-On
« Reply #413 on: January 29, 2021, 09:46:12 AM »
Stick to making an ass out of yourself with bad gofundme requests

It's not too late to donate!!

FIRE WOJO

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #414 on: January 29, 2021, 10:01:33 AM »
It's not too late to donate!!

FIRE WOJO

I actually think it is. I'm late to the party but I clicked on the link and I get an error message.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #415 on: January 29, 2021, 10:04:55 AM »
Griffith was a hell of a player.  Yeah he was overrated as the #2 overall prospect in his class, behind Rasheed Wallace, but he was all Big Ten as a sophomore and was a dominant college big man.  Never made it in the NBA, but part of that was because he was pulling in seven figures overseas in a career that lasted until 2010.

Just surprised me because I thought Mac was untouchable down low his last two seasons for some reason.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #416 on: January 29, 2021, 10:06:34 AM »
Butler and Xavier come to mind as obvious answers.

These were the first two that came to my mind. Their secret is that they keep it in the family to maintain a consistent culture. I guess we should hire Stan!
TAMU

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #417 on: January 29, 2021, 10:12:42 AM »

As Fluffy pointed out to you, he took over a program that hadn’t made an NCAA field in 47 years, and oh by the way, won a game when they got in- beating Huggins and Cincinnati.

I never said he was great, I referred to him as a double, not a home run hire, but he significantly raised the profile of their program, which had been bad forever before his arrival.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:17:45 AM by HutchwasClutch »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #418 on: January 29, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
This hurts to say, but off the top of my head, Badgers are one such school- Bennett, Ryan, Gard.  Even Stu Jackson.  And they pulled the plug very quickly on Van Gundy and Soderberg.

And you have to give Richter for pulling the plug on Soderberg. Bennett timed his retirement to give Soderberg the job...and Richter didn’t bite and moved on despite making it to the tourney.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #419 on: January 29, 2021, 11:06:24 AM »
You’re 100% right, Tower. But here’s the thing...

Both Al and Wojo got the job because they “blew away the room” when they interviewed. I get it with Al. As Dick Enberg said, he “owned every room he walked into”. I’m sure he blew away any room anytime he wanted to. Can you imagine Wojo ever blowing away any room? Has he said or done anything in 7 years that indicate he has that in him? Not to me. Tells you something about the people who were in that room.

Obviously, anybody who was either at MU when Al was there or got to know him afterward or simply is a student of MU hoops history respects Al and has a special place in his/her heart for Al. Also obviously, anything that pretends to be any kind of comparison between Al and Wojo is just plain silly.

Now that I got that out of the way, though, let's be honest ...

If Wojo were to get canned and Marquette were to hire a guy who spent 7 years at a tiny school, whose record got worse every year at that tiny school, and whose last 2 seasons at that tiny school were 7-21 and 6-18, Scoop would absolutely implode.

I mean, the mention of Porter Moser, who took Loyola to the Final Four, had some Scoopers expressing disgust. And the mention of Brian Wardle, an MU alum who has had some good seasons at GB and Bradley, has earned "No, anybody but him!" responses from many.

7 years at a tiny school, including a combined 13-39 record in his last two years. If MU administration said, "Yeah, but he blew away the room," I'm guessing you, Doc, rocket, Goose, etc, would have rolled your eyes and laughed derisively.

It's like with Chris Beard. We'd all love him now, but if Marquette had hired a coach with his resume, the reaction in Scoopdom would have been swift and negative.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #420 on: January 29, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
Honest question, are there any examples of a P6 program hiring a non-D1 coach and it working out? All I can think of is Kim Anderson failing at Mizzou.

There are lots of examples of coaches who started coaching D2 or D3 who ended up being good P6 coaches, but they all had low or mid-major stops in-between.

Our guy Al McGuire.

connie

• All American
« Reply #421 on: January 29, 2021, 11:16:50 AM »
Obviously, anybody who was either at MU when Al was there or got to know him afterward or simply is a student of MU hoops history respects Al and has a special place in his/her heart for Al. Also obviously, anything that pretends to be any kind of comparison between Al and Wojo is just plain silly.

Now that I got that out of the way, though, let's be honest ...

If Wojo were to get canned and Marquette were to hire a guy who spent 7 years at a tiny school, whose record got worse every year at that tiny school, and whose last 2 seasons at that tiny school were 7-21 and 6-18, Scoop would absolutely implode.

I mean, the mention of Porter Moser, who took Loyola to the Final Four, had some Scoopers expressing disgust. And the mention of Brian Wardle, an MU alum who has had some good seasons at GB and Bradley, has earned "No, anybody but him!" responses from many.

7 years at a tiny school, including a combined 13-39 record in his last two years. If MU administration said, "Yeah, but he blew away the room," I'm guessing you, Doc, rocket, Goose, etc, would have rolled your eyes and laughed derisively.

It's like with Chris Beard. We'd all love him now, but if Marquette had hired a coach with his resume, the reaction in Scoopdom would have been swift and negative.
Possibly.  (OK-- Probably).  I also think there are enough that recognize the Dick Bennet/Bo Ryan path.  Cannot argue with that success, and while I really don't want to watch a team that scores 18 points a half, I'd rather watch a team that does that under control and following a plan than what I just saw in Providence.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »
It’s not going to happen after this season,but my top (realistic) choices are:

DeVries (Drake)
Medved (Co. State)
TJO
Wardle

Dream candidates:
Oats
Oats
Oats
Beard
Oats
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #423 on: January 29, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »
And you have to give Richter for pulling the plug on Soderberg. Bennett timed his retirement to give Soderberg the job...and Richter didn’t bite and moved on despite making it to the tourney.

Wow, kind of crazy UW had two coaches pull that stunt.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #424 on: January 29, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »
It’s not going to happen after this season,but my top (realistic) choices are:

DeVries (Drake)
Medved (Co. State)
TJO
Wardle

Dream candidates:
Oats
Oats
Oats
Beard
Oats

Great list. All poor fits for the MU admin.  Why you ask? Academics and who MU now accepts as student athletes. Let's get real...

feedback