[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 163695 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2020, 09:57:32 AM »
Did we win a third final four game I wasn't aware of?

74- Beat Kansas, lost to NC State
77- Beat UNCC and Carolina

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2020, 09:59:36 AM »
Did we win a third final four game I wasn't aware of?

1974 semis.  He was a freshman on that team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2020, 10:01:51 AM »
1974 semis.  He was a freshman on that team.

Oh I get it you were saying the championship counted. I was saying two to include the 74 game as well but wasn't including the 77 finals. Thanks for clarifying :)
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2020, 10:18:00 AM »
I'm not there yet. Personally, I think anything less than a 4-seed this year would at least warrant the discussion, but the reality is we probably won't get there unless we miss the NCAA altogether, possibly miss the NIT as well. Nonetheless, I enjoy these thought exercises, so here's my list. Not necessarily in order, but ordered by category:

High-Major Guys

1) Jamie Dixon (TCU, 54): He's at his alma mater, but tried to leave last year. He is a proven Big East coach & hasn't had a job as good as Marquette (Sorry, Pitt). TCU's current rank of 51st is their fourth highest in past 20 years of kenpom, and the only seasons better are the other 3 that Dixon coached. He'll never win a title in Fort Worth but may be the best coach in the country to never go to a Final Four.

2) Thad Matta (Unemployed, 52): You have to get satisfactory answers to the health concerns, but he's an elite coach. Has proven he can win and recruit at a top-5 level. He's certainly still young enough, and if he's healthy enough, there isn't a better name out there. But that he's still unemployed is a serious cause for concern.

3) Steve Pikiell (Rutgers, 52): He built Stony Brook into a league winner in 5 years and has Rutgers at their highest kenpom rank in the past 2 decades in just his 4th season. He knows the East and knows how to win. Rutgers is a really tough job and if you can turn it around there, you can likely turn it around anywhere.

Proven Mid-Majors

4) John Becker (Vermont, 51): He's sustained what Mike Lonergan started, winning over 200 games in 9 years and going to the NCAAs 3 times. He's young enough to stay for 20 years but old enough that high-majors won't be sniffing around if the first 4-5 years go well. His teams have been top-3 in BOTH offensive and defensive efficiency in league play every year but one (finished 4th in defensive efficiency in 2016).

5) Craig Smith (Utah State, 47): In three years at Mayville State (D2) he won National Coach of the Year twice. He took over South Dakota and led them to their four highest kenpom rankings in his first four seasons. He then took over Utah State and led them to their highest kenpom rank since Stew Morrill & an NCAA bid. He's like a mini-Chris Beard but from the Midwest.

Up-And-Comers

6) T.J. Otzelberger (UNLV, 42): He proved he could recruit at Iowa State and proved he could win and develop players at South Dakota State. He's also a Milwaukee native. Not making this call would be like not waiting an extra hour for Tony Bennett. That said, he's really young with a really bright future, so if he won, the "stepping stone" question might never go away.

7) Bob Richey (Furman, 36): Before Richey, Furman had never been ranked top-100 on kenpom, never been ranked, and hadn't been invited to a postseason tournament in over 25 years. They are on their third straight top-100 season, were ranked in the top-25 last years, and earned a NIT bid from the SoCon. He's done amazing work in short order.

8) Brian Wardle (Bradley, 40): He took Green Bay to a Horizon title in 4 years and we said "it's too soon." Then he took Bradley to the NCAA Tournament in 4 years & had a lead on Izzo with less than 7 minutes to play. It's kind of amazing that he's been a head coach for 10 years already. I'm sure he'd be fine, but I'm not sure fine would ever be good enough, and it's harder to fire the alum. I'm not anti-Wardle, but I think it would be a very divisive hire.

We Always Call Assistants...

9) Luke Murray (Louisville, 35): Highly regarded as a recruiter, knows the Big East, and how cool would it be to have Bill in the stands every game? He's seriously a highly regarded assistant in his own right, but personally, I want a head coach.

Only If We're Serious...

10) Becky Hammon (San Antonio Spurs, 42): You only make this call if you are willing to give her the job, but Hammon's knowledge of the game, ability to develop players (considering the Spurs are always at the end of the Draft), and work ethic are all highly regarded. If she is willing to consider the college game, I think she would be a great outside-the-box hire. Someone else mentioned her earlier, I think she is one of the best candidates in the country if she is interested in college.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2020, 10:24:52 AM »
I'm not there yet. Personally, I think anything less than a 4-seed this year would at least warrant the discussion, but the reality is we probably won't get there unless we miss the NCAA altogether, possibly miss the NIT as well. Nonetheless, I enjoy these thought exercises, so here's my list. Not necessarily in order, but ordered by category:

High-Major Guys

1) Jamie Dixon (TCU, 54): He's at his alma mater, but tried to leave last year. He is a proven Big East coach & hasn't had a job as good as Marquette (Sorry, Pitt). TCU's current rank of 51st is their fourth highest in past 20 years of kenpom, and the only seasons better are the other 3 that Dixon coached. He'll never win a title in Fort Worth but may be the best coach in the country to never go to a Final Four.

2) Thad Matta (Unemployed, 52): You have to get satisfactory answers to the health concerns, but he's an elite coach. Has proven he can win and recruit at a top-5 level. He's certainly still young enough, and if he's healthy enough, there isn't a better name out there. But that he's still unemployed is a serious cause for concern.

3) Steve Pikiell (Rutgers, 52): He built Stony Brook into a league winner in 5 years and has Rutgers at their highest kenpom rank in the past 2 decades in just his 4th season. He knows the East and knows how to win. Rutgers is a really tough job and if you can turn it around there, you can likely turn it around anywhere.

Proven Mid-Majors

4) John Becker (Vermont, 51): He's sustained what Mike Lonergan started, winning over 200 games in 9 years and going to the NCAAs 3 times. He's young enough to stay for 20 years but old enough that high-majors won't be sniffing around if the first 4-5 years go well. His teams have been top-3 in BOTH offensive and defensive efficiency in league play every year but one (finished 4th in defensive efficiency in 2016).

5) Craig Smith (Utah State, 47): In three years at Mayville State (D2) he won National Coach of the Year twice. He took over South Dakota and led them to their four highest kenpom rankings in his first four seasons. He then took over Utah State and led them to their highest kenpom rank since Stew Morrill & an NCAA bid. He's like a mini-Chris Beard but from the Midwest.

Up-And-Comers

6) T.J. Otzelberger (UNLV, 42): He proved he could recruit at Iowa State and proved he could win and develop players at South Dakota State. He's also a Milwaukee native. Not making this call would be like not waiting an extra hour for Tony Bennett. That said, he's really young with a really bright future, so if he won, the "stepping stone" question might never go away.

7) Bob Richey (Furman, 36): Before Richey, Furman had never been ranked top-100 on kenpom, never been ranked, and hadn't been invited to a postseason tournament in over 25 years. They are on their third straight top-100 season, were ranked in the top-25 last years, and earned a NIT bid from the SoCon. He's done amazing work in short order.

8) Brian Wardle (Bradley, 40): He took Green Bay to a Horizon title in 4 years and we said "it's too soon." Then he took Bradley to the NCAA Tournament in 4 years & had a lead on Izzo with less than 7 minutes to play. It's kind of amazing that he's been a head coach for 10 years already. I'm sure he'd be fine, but I'm not sure fine would ever be good enough, and it's harder to fire the alum. I'm not anti-Wardle, but I think it would be a very divisive hire.

9) Luke Murray (Louisville, 35): Highly regarded as a recruiter, knows the Big East, and how cool would it be to have Bill in the stands every game? He's seriously a highly regarded assistant in his own right, but personally, I want a head coach.

Only If We're Serious...

10) Becky Hammon (San Antonio Spurs, 42): You only make this call if you are willing to give her the job, but Hammon's knowledge of the game, ability to develop players (considering the Spurs are always at the end of the Draft), and work ethic are all highly regarded. If she is willing to consider the college game, I think she would be a great outside-the-box hire. Someone else mentioned her earlier, I think she is one of the best candidates in the country if she is interested in college.

This is an excellent and well-thought out list.  I think any one of these candidates would take the MU job if the price was right.  So much for the “Who would you get to replace Wojo?” BS some here like to spew.  There are lots of good coaches out there.

I don’t want another assistant, though.  Brew has listed plenty of head coaches MU might be able to poach if they ponied up.  We don’t need another guy who requires five plus years and counting of training wheels to figure out how to do the job.  The exception would be Hammon, who would be a monumental hire.  My only fear with her is that she’d leave for a head NBA gig at the first sign of success. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:30:34 AM by Silent Verbal »

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »
I'm not sure "any one" would take it.  I doubt Dixon leaves TCU for Marquette, not sure Matta is healthy, etc. but I do like the effort!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
I'm not sure "any one" would take it.  I doubt Dixon leaves TCU for Marquette, not sure Matta is healthy, etc. but I do like the effort!

Matta's health is a huge concern. He's a no-brainer if healthy, but that's an "if" the size of Alaska.

As far as Dixon, I think the UCLA flirtation opened the door. I don't think he finishes his career there as it sounds like there was acrimony over that whole kerfuffle.

Those are probably the two hardest to land, though. I considered other names I'd like from a win perspective, but I don't think MU would ever consider Kelvin Sampson, Chris Jans, or Steve Forbes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
Some say Bailey’s on his way to being an “all timer”.

Yup, will have to wait and see.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
lmfao

Not a proponent for Drew Diener at this time.

With that said:

You may want to reconsider that answer as SLU and Marquette had similar results at that time playing in the same league. SLU made the NCAA' a similar amount as MU when he was there coming off of Larry Hughes and after. This would be Spoon and Romar era and Deane and Crean era.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »
Not a proponent for Drew Diener at this time.

With that said:

You may want to reconsider that answer as SLU and Marquette had similar results at that time playing in the same league. SLU made the NCAA' a similar amount as MU when he was there coming off of Larry Hughes and after. This would be Spoon and Romar era and Deane and Crean era.

I would not consider. I might not consider us a high major at that point, but would not reconsider them being a high major.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2020, 11:36:20 AM »
Wojo is the guy. 

Those of you who think otherwise have a very warped sense of reality. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2020, 11:37:48 AM »

High-Major Guys

Proven Mid-Majors

Up-And-Comers

Only If We're Serious...

This is a great list. Great post!

I'd be happy with any of these coaches listed. And Hammon would be a really big splash if MU went that way.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2020, 11:40:59 AM »
I would not consider. I might not consider us a high major at that point, but would not reconsider them being a high major.

What about this past decade? Both schools made the NCAA's four times. Results not all that extreme in difference this past decade as well.

Before we continue, let's not miss my point here. The point of course is MU is not really in a position then or this past decade to be so dismissive.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
This is a great list. Great post!

I'd be happy with any of these coaches listed. And Hammon would be a really big splash if MU went that way.

How do you know this?  Just an opinion.  Yes, Hammon would be a big "splash", of course no one knows if any 17-18 year old talented boys basketball players would ever be willing to play for her (maybe yes, maybe no), but that would be a big splash for sure....not the splash a program like MU should be the first to make.  If she is the one, Pop should retire and the Spurs should make her head coach on his recommendation.  I don't see that happening.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2020, 11:45:03 AM »
Completely out of the box, and nothing suggests he'd be interested in Coaching...but...IF he was..Dwade would be a no brainer to me. Imagine how good his recruiting would be.  :) Bring in a couple of seasoned veterans that know what they are doing for X's and O's and let's go..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
Completely out of the box, and nothing suggests he'd be interested in Coaching...but...IF he was..Dwade would be a no brainer to me. Imagine how good his recruiting would be.  :) Bring in a couple of seasoned veterans that know what they are doing for X's and O's and let's go..

Or Jimmy Butler who can say he’s an NBA player while coaching Marquette.  Imagine how good his recruiting would be. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2020, 11:51:59 AM »

Out of the box is right.  What is the fascination with former great players in sports that so often cannot replicate in coaching?  Know your history.

Magic Johnson...terrible coach
Wayne Gretzky...terrible coach
Clyde Drexler...terrible coach
Michael Jordan...terrible executive  (remember how all the great players were going to flock to play for Michael when he was the head of a NBA team)
Isaiah Thomas...terrible coach
Bart Starr
Bob Cousy
Ted Williams
Pete Rose...average
Kevin McHale
Willis Reed
Wes Unseld

Pat Ewing....jury is out
Chris Mullin....eh
Bo Ellis...struggled mightily as head coach

I could go on and on and on.  Sure, there are a few exceptions, but typically these guys were so good on the court or field, they don't relate well to players that aren't as good as they were. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2020, 11:54:07 AM »
Don’t think wojo is going anywhere. But a guy I thought was on a potential MU short list trajectory before landing P6 gig this past off season, was Wisconsin native Nate Oats. Perhaps down the road

Norm

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2020, 11:57:46 AM »
How do you know this?  Just an opinion.  Yes, Hammon would be a big "splash", of course no one knows if any 17-18 year old talented boys basketball players would ever be willing to play for her (maybe yes, maybe no), but that would be a big splash for sure....not the splash a program like MU should be the first to make.  If she is the one, Pop should retire and the Spurs should make her head coach on his recommendation.  I don't see that happening.

How do I know what? That this is a great list or that a Hammon hire would be a big splash? It's my opinion that the list Brew put together is really good. I also think that a Hammon hire would get tons of media coverage that would make it a "splash" - which you acknowledge in your post. And why shouldn't MU be the program to make such a hire? (And I'm not advocating to hire her, just saying it would get quite noticed if we did).

muguru

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2020, 11:59:04 AM »
Out of the box is right.  What is the fascination with former great players in sports that so often cannot replicate in coaching?  Know your history.

Magic Johnson...terrible coach
Wayne Gretzky...terrible coach
Clyde Drexler...terrible coach
Michael Jordan...terrible executive  (remember how all the great players were going to flock to play for Michael when he was the head of a NBA team)
Isaiah Thomas...terrible coach
Bart Starr
Bob Cousy
Ted Williams
Pete Rose...average
Kevin McHale
Willis Reed
Wes Unseld

Pat Ewing....jury is out
Chris Mullin....eh
Bo Ellis...struggled mightily as head coach

I could go on and on and on.  Sure, there are a few exceptions, but typically these guys were so good on the court or field, they don't relate well to players that aren't as good as they were.

I'd be banking on his recruiting being so good(like top 5 classes, who says no to Dwade?), that he could just roll the ball out and tell them to go play..Like I said, the appeal to me is how he would recruit, have the asst do most of the X's and O's stuff. It would work on just the pure talent alone I'd bet on him bringing in.

You forgot Juwan Howard on your list.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2020, 12:04:47 PM »

I don't get your logic at all.  I mean, women play for male coaches all time time.  Why couldn't she succeed with those roles reversed?

Marquette should certainly not be afraid of making that "splash" if they feel she is the best candidate. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2020, 12:05:33 PM »
I'd be banking on his recruiting being so good(like top 5 classes, who says no to Dwade?), that he could just roll the ball out and tell them to go play..Like I said, the appeal to me is how he would recruit, have the asst do most of the X's and O's stuff. It would work on just the pure talent alone I'd bet on him bringing in.

You forgot Juwan Howard on your list.

Juwan Howard is right now running on Bielien's players....will see how he does in a few years. 

The top players want to go to coaches that are going to put them in the best position to make the NBA...has Dwade proven he can do that?   Thus, risky.  He hasn't even been an assistant coach.  Just a bad idea.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2020, 12:08:37 PM »
Juwan Howard is right now running on Bielien's players....will see how he does in a few years. 

The top players want to go to coaches that are going to put them in the best position to make the NBA...has Dwade proven he can do that?   Thus, risky.  He hasn't even been an assistant coach.  Just a bad idea.

Juwan Howard also paid his dues as an assistant for years.  Thinking DWade would succeed based on how Juwan Howard is doing is a terrible comparison anyway

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2020, 12:13:26 PM »

I don't get your logic at all.  I mean, women play for male coaches all time time.  Why couldn't she succeed with those roles reversed?

Marquette should certainly not be afraid of making that "splash" if they feel she is the best candidate.

It's not a matter of capability at all, but I don't think a high major will be where such a hire takes place.  In my opinion, it will be a mid-major.

feedback