* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 15368 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Next Season
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
I can't remember which analyst said it, but, to paraphrase...he said if Howard had not reclassified and come out as a senior this year, there is no doubt he would be a 5 star top 25 prospect by about any recruiting source....with an actual year of D1 hoops under his young belt, I think he will be something very special next year.
I remember hearing that when he committed

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 07:50:05 PM »
Was I good enough to start on the 8th grade A-Team because I averaged double figures for 2 years on the B-Team?

Of course Duane started his freshman year. Derrick and Juan also started that year.

Duane was All Big East Freshman team and the leading scorer over Bluiett.  Derrick and Juan...were All Ners.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 08:08:54 PM »
Im surprised i made a useful topic

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, next year's freshman class will be freshmen next year and will play like freshmen.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, next year's freshman class will be freshmen next year and will play like freshmen.

Yes, probably.  But this year's Freshmen will no longer be Freshmen and will hopefully play like men.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 07:50:43 AM »
Guys, why are we giving up on this year? We haven't lost to Depaul yet (said at 845 eastern on the morning of the DePaul game) and we still have time to right the ship and get moving. We're a bubble team now and with five wins in our remaining eight conference games, we probably make the tournament.

We also don't know if Wojo finds a juco or a one-year-wonder to balance out the roster.

I'll debate this issue in June, when I'm back in Chicago and the 2017-2018 roster takes hold.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
I can't remember which analyst said it, but, to paraphrase...he said if Howard had not reclassified and come out as a senior this year, there is no doubt he would be a 5 star top 25 prospect by about any recruiting source....with an actual year of D1 hoops under his young belt, I think he will be something very special next year.
I hope so. Right now he is a good ball handler, but not a great ball handler. He is to easy to trap with his size, because he does not or cannot beat the press off the dribble. Rowsey is somewhat stronger with the ball against the press, but I see MU's big weakness is the lack of a true point guard who can just dribble though pressure. Maybe it is how Wojo wants to beat the press. The team tries to beat it by passing instead of dribbling through it. 

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. Howard is much stronger against the press than Rowsey. While not a true point guard, Howard has a great feel for advancing the ball and finding an open option. Rowsey has been benched several times for his inability to handle the pressure.
Defensive liabilities aside, I do like seeing them play together. Forces one of them to be an off guard.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 09:10:22 AM »
You guys are all forgetting about how good Howard will probably be next year.  Yeah, he's inconsistent now, but he's still a 17-year-old Freshman.  Did you know he's only 17?  The announcers rarely mention that.   ;)  I expect him to make a big step forward next year so he can be a factor every game.  I also expect Cheatham to get his mojo back and contribute like he did as a Freshman.

I actually hear his age mentioned all the time. Pretty sure everyone knows he is 17. BTW, who would have expected HC to regress so much after a stellar Freshman season?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 09:26:39 AM »
Guys, why are we giving up on this year? We haven't lost to Depaul yet (said at 845 eastern on the morning of the DePaul game) and we still have time to right the ship and get moving. We're a bubble team now and with five wins in our remaining eight conference games, we probably make the tournament.

We also don't know if Wojo finds a juco or a one-year-wonder to balance out the roster.

I'll debate this issue in June, when I'm back in Chicago and the 2017-2018 roster takes hold.

That's the mission.  We'll see. Today would be a good start.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »

Actually as per most respected brackets we are in as an 8-10 seed so we are off the bubble per most "experts"
Goal is National Championship

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »
I actually hear his age mentioned all the time. Pretty sure everyone knows he is 17. BTW, who would have expected HC to regress so much after a stellar Freshman season?

OMG, I guess some readers will always need teal   :/
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »
To the poster "worrying" about this season :)

Then don't respond. This is a message board as a college basketball fan its always fun to look ahead and speculate. If we can get Joey (already have Bailey) I'm drooling for 2018 already  :)

People on here need to have a little more fun, we're only fans :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:53:20 AM by blikemike2 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »

I agree with this analysis.  But...there is playing like Freshman Matt Heldt and playing like Freshman Markus or Sam.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
I agree with this analysis.  But...there is playing like Freshman Matt Heldt and playing like Freshman Markus or Sam.

Amen, be careful with that broad brush.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
I am excited to see next year's Warriors army of bangers and bombers.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
Im already thinking about next season. Once wojo gets his system guys in there and all of Buzz guys out we will be better i think

Don't overlook what's right in front of you: A very talented 2015-16 team that can beat anyone in the Big East tournament and looks to be in the NCAA tournament field.

The future looks bright for Marquette. But next season is a complete hypothetical right now. Think about everything that changed between this time last year and today — Sacar redshirts, Wally, Traci and Sandy transfer, Marcus Howard and Sam Hauser both crack the starting lineup in Year 1, the team threatens to smash every Marquette record for 3-point shooting, MU isn't nearly as bad at rebounding as everybody feared, we find a way to beat the #1 team in the country (not to mention the Big East), and, seemingly defying all logic, we're a better team after losing an NBA lottery pick.

My point is that whatever you think next season holds in store, it's likely going to change. Big time. Better to appreciate the pretty exciting team we have on the court at this moment.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:12:02 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 02:11:26 PM »
I am still worried about how this gets better next year. Heldt, while improved, is still a bit foul prone - he'll need to take the next step. Froling is rated highly but has underwhelmed (albeit in a bad environment for him), and he's only available after the first semester. That leaves a freshman to come in and do yeoman's work. It could realistically be another year before we are truly balanced.

Many posters thought it impossible, ludicrous even, that Marquette could be better after Henry left for the NBA. Yet here we are on the cusp of a top-five finish in the conference and our first NCAA tournament berth of Wojo's tenure.

How do they get better? The same way this year's team did: raise the overall level of talent and athleticism, create intense competition at every position, gain invaluable experience as a team, work hard, and be willing to learn every day (from the losses as well as the wins).

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
Many posters thought it impossible, ludicrous even, that Marquette could be better after Henry left for the NBA. Yet here we are on the cusp of a top-five finish in the conference and our first NCAA tournament berth of Wojo's tenure.

How do they get better? The same way this year's team did: raise the overall level of talent and athleticism, create intense competition at every position, gain invaluable experience as a team, work hard, and be willing to learn every day (from the losses as well as the wins).

Still think he needs a scoring grad transfer.  The 2 and 3 are still questionable.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 02:25:34 PM »
Still think he needs a scoring grad transfer.  The 2 and 3 are still questionable.

That's the point. Wojo might still get a scoring grad transfer. Duane could declare for the NBA. Marcus could blow out a knee. Sam could decide to leave school and follow Phish on tour. There are just way too many unknowns at this point to say anything definitive about next season. But I'm confident we will have the talent to be better.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2017, 07:04:52 AM »
Seemingly defying all logic, we're a better team after losing an NBA lottery pick.

We are a better team than we were last year, yes. But please understand two things. First, Henry wasn't a lottery pick. He went much further down in the first round than many thought.

Second, had Henry stayed, given what we have with Cheatham, Howard, Rowsey and Reinhardt.. and even JJJ, Big Fishy and Duane, we probably would have been a Top 10 or Top 15 team. Having Henry with a year's experience under his belt would have solved many of the weaknesses we have with rebounding and possibly defense. We're not better than that.

I suspect if truth be known, Coach Wojo expected Henry for two years. I don't doubt he knew there was a risk Henry was one-and-done, but you look at how the team was built, Henry would have been the missing link on this team. Nonetheless, like Jim Chones years ago, he's gone and I give Wojo all the credit in the world for adapting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
I think wojo was trying to find replacements for HE man. Washington, Levin, Nichols, etc. But it's hard to recruit for a position when you have a five star freshman in the position. Wojo can tell them he's a one and done all he wants but many aren't willing to risk it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »
Next year's team has some question marks but some interesting parts.  Heldt, Froling and Johns should be able to set some killer picks to free up shooters and open a path to the basket.  Redshirt Amin may be a prime benefactor for drives to the lane.  Hasn't he been described as the most athletic member of the current team?  He has the size and muscle to drive and take a hit.  Duane Wilson is another player who should benefit.  I think we'll see a more diverse scoring game out of Marquette.  You will have at least three proven sharpshooters in Hauser, Rowsey and Howard.  Cheatham's shot should be improved.  All that means defenses cannot pack inside to defend the Quette.

Cain is a player but will his lack of bulk hurt his game as a freshman.  Ike will be a star some day but not next season.

My concern is defense.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
Second, had Henry stayed, given what we have with Cheatham, Howard, Rowsey and Reinhardt.. and even JJJ, Big Fishy and Duane, we probably would have been a Top 10 or Top 15 team. Having Henry with a year's experience under his belt would have solved many of the weaknesses we have with rebounding and possibly defense. We're not better than that.

Well...had Henry stayed, Reinhardt almost certainly wouldn't be here, and Wally still would. It's an interesting question, as without Henry we are a better rebounding team this year without him than we were last year with him. Would JJ, Haani, and Sam be as effective on the boards if we still had Ellenson in the middle? Would Howard and Rowsey find themselves as many open shots if Ellenson had the ball in his hands?

It's hard to not believe we'd be better with Henry, and I am inclined to think we would be, but it would be a very different team with him still on the roster.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »
Well...had Henry stayed, Reinhardt almost certainly wouldn't be here, and Wally still would. It's an interesting question, as without Henry we are a better rebounding team this year without him than we were last year with him. Would JJ, Haani, and Sam be as effective on the boards if we still had Ellenson in the middle? Would Howard and Rowsey find themselves as many open shots if Ellenson had the ball in his hands?

It's hard to not believe we'd be better with Henry, and I am inclined to think we would be, but it would be a very different team with him still on the roster.

Only in the very short term at best.  Howard's growth would have been slowed for sure.  Sam's too.

feedback