[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bold Predictions  (Read 15416 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Bold Predictions
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »

Remember how Traci was all the rage after Italy? I think Traci is great but he certainly what everyone thought he would be last season. Why is Markus more likely to be better than Traci as a freshmen?

Why would we expect a guy who leads the USA national team of his age group to a gold medal in international competition to be better as a freshman than Traci Carter was? How about because he's a much more heralded player?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:23:37 PM by Lennys Tap »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »
Scoop posts will stay on topic all season. How is that for bold?
Goal is National Championship

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2016, 12:09:18 PM »
Scoop posts will stay on topic all season. How is that for bold?

I'd call that "insane."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2016, 12:09:31 PM »
In no way declaring him a failure, but feel free to ride the hyperbole train in the prediction thread. I'm speaking in probabilities, it is more probable that he will be an average or above average freshmen point then he is to be an outstanding 4 year starter point guard with a minimal of turnovers.

Remember how Traci was all the rage after Italy? I think Traci is great but he certainly what everyone thought he would be last season. Why is Markus more likely to be better than Traci as a freshmen?

But wasn't your post quite a hyperbole itself?

No matter how talented Markus is, he is still a freshman and will be prone to the freshman turnover bug that Carter and Haanif suffered through last season. On average we were giving our opponents 5 more possessions a game than an "typical" team last season. If Markus is starting by the end of the season I have to believe it's because our other PG options suck at turning the ball over.

Like others have pointed out, talented freshman point guards elsewhere have taken teams to the tourney and even won the National Championship.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »

Like others have pointed out, talented freshman point guards elsewhere have taken teams to the tourney and even won the National Championship.
Those tend to be one & dones surrounded by other great players.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2016, 12:26:27 PM »
Why is Markus more likely to be better than Traci as a freshmen?

Because Jay bee has a lot more wood for Markus than he ever had for Traci?  ;D

Might not be scientific but I've used worse logic to make predictions before
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2016, 12:56:07 PM »
I'd call that "insane."

Someone will use the phrase "blue and gold colored glasses."
Someone will use the phrase "Chicos, is that you?"
Someone will use the phrase "Nice first post."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:58:18 PM by thekahoona »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
^
If true, we will not be in the dance at year's end.

The thread title IS Bold Predictions eh?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2016, 02:26:33 PM »
Why would we expect a guy who leads the USA national team of his age group to a gold medal in international competition to be better as a freshman than Traci Carter was? How about because he's a much more heralded player?

Who's only experience is against other 17 year olds. Remember Vander Blue played on the U18 USA team as well, how'd his first two seasons work out? Tremendous player and improved significantly each season but wasn't lighting right out the gate. I think it will take at least a season for Markus to beat out Traci and Rowsey....would love to be wrong, so we'll see
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »

Mine was a prediction in a bold prediction thread, not sure how that could be termed hyperbole, but if so I'll own that and retract my snark.

Attached below is a snap shot of the TOrate of MU PGs going back to 2002. Travis especially, but DJ as well were the only two MU point guards to have a TORate of less than 17.5 and do so multiple years. Only Travis did it in his freshman year(splitting time with Cordell).

As a reference Tyus Jones had a 17.4, Grayson Allen 12.3 and 12.9. If anyone has a suggestion as to other freshmen point guards to look up for the last 12 years, let me know.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »
Someone will use the phrase "blue and gold colored glasses."
Someone will use the phrase "Chicos, is that you?"
Someone will use the phrase "Nice first post."

Whatever you say, chicos.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

fjm

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
Another bold prediction: New jerseys wont look as good as the ones right now

That's weak. There is almost always displeasure with new jerseys no matter what. People fear change. And any change, no matter how influential is always met with some dislike on the look/change.
This is also an subjective prediction which will be based on your opinion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2016, 03:23:01 PM »
That's weak. There is almost always displeasure with new jerseys no matter what. People fear change. And any change, no matter how influential is always met with some dislike on the look/change.
This is also an subjective prediction which will be based on your opinion.

Nobody can get outta new jerseys cuz the gov shut down da bridge, my friends.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2016, 04:51:54 PM »
Mine was a prediction in a bold prediction thread, not sure how that could be termed hyperbole, but if so I'll own that and retract my snark.

Attached below is a snap shot of the TOrate of MU PGs going back to 2002. Travis especially, but DJ as well were the only two MU point guards to have a TORate of less than 17.5 and do so multiple years. Only Travis did it in his freshman year(splitting time with Cordell).

As a reference Tyus Jones had a 17.4, Grayson Allen 12.3 and 12.9. If anyone has a suggestion as to other freshmen point guards to look up for the last 12 years, let me know.

I have nothing against your prediction at all.

I was just saying that I inherently disagree with the notion that we won't be in the tournament if Markus is starting us by the year's end, WHEN that includes the statement "No matter how talented Markus is".

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
Speaking of bold predictions, NBC sports has an article naming 7 sleeper candidates to make the Final Four. It includes both Creighton and VA Tech.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/10/03/college-hoops-contender-series-here-are-seven-final-four-sleepers/

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:47 AM »
I have nothing against your prediction at all.

I was just saying that I inherently disagree with the notion that we won't be in the tournament if Markus is starting us by the year's end, WHEN that includes the statement "No matter how talented Markus is".

That's a fair point...there certain could be a talent level where he isn't prone to the freshman mistakes....so I should have said while talented I don't think he will be talented enough to hit that level as a freshman.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »
Speaking of bold predictions, NBC sports has an article naming 7 sleeper candidates to make the Final Four. It includes both Creighton and VA Tech.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/10/03/college-hoops-contender-series-here-are-seven-final-four-sleepers/

*throws up in mouth*

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2016, 09:55:33 AM »
Who's only experience is against other 17 year olds. Remember Vander Blue played on the U18 USA team as well, how'd his first two seasons work out? Tremendous player and improved significantly each season but wasn't lighting right out the gate. I think it will take at least a season for Markus to beat out Traci and Rowsey....would love to be wrong, so we'll see

Good point on Vander and the fact that Markus is a very young freshman, but...Vander played on the U18 USA team, Markus was arguably the MVP of the U17s. And he played/starred at Findlay Prep, a national powerhouse high school teams. I don't know how he'll perform, but he absolutely arrives on campus with higher expectations than Traci Carter did.

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »
Going bold :

- Heldt will hang 30 on not one, but two Big East teams this year
- Judges for the slam dunk contest will be a 1997-98 throwback tribute : Bart Miller, Richard Shaw, Marcus West
- There will be a scandal in Buckyville regarding the bathroom at the Gobbler in Johnson Creek
- Sweatervests in 214 will start the wave during the Seton Hall game
- Hauser will do the Hulk Hogan wofting ear listen after an emphatic dunk with 4:52 remaining in the first half @ Creighton.
- Not only will there be a giveaway bobble-upper-torso of Jump Around Guy, but it will also feature his wife sitting next to him laughing. (2-for-1 bargain)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
Good point on Vander and the fact that Markus is a very young freshman, but...Vander played on the U18 USA team, Markus was arguably the MVP of the U17s. And he played/starred at Findlay Prep, a national powerhouse high school teams. I don't know how he'll perform, but he absolutely arrives on campus with higher expectations than Traci Carter did.

I agree that the expectations are higher for Markus....but that doesn't mean he can meet those expectations.

And his bar is not the expectations Traci had coming to Marquette...his bar is what a sophomore Traci and a junior Rowsey can do now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »
I agree that the expectations are higher for Markus....but that doesn't mean he can meet those expectations.

And his bar is not the expectations Traci had coming to Marquette...his bar is what a sophomore Traci and a junior Rowsey can do now.

03 - think I have figured out our disagreement - you recalled how people were high on Traci after Italy and then wondered "Why is Marcus more likely to be better than Traci as a freshman?" i thought you were saying "why should we expect more from Markus (as a freshman) than we did from Traci (as a freshman)" - not Traci as a sophomore. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
03 - think I have figured out our disagreement - you recalled how people were high on Traci after Italy and then wondered "Why is Marcus more likely to be better than Traci as a freshman?" i thought you were saying "why should we expect more from Markus (as a freshman) than we did from Traci (as a freshman)" - not Traci as a sophomore. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No need to apologize, I'm only able to type two languages: Bad english and gibberish.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2016, 03:58:18 PM »
Howard played on the team, but he did not lead the team to victory. He did not even start in the championship game. That does not mean he is not better than Carter, but he is not the reason why the USA team won.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2016, 04:52:13 PM »
Howard played on the team, but he did not lead the team to victory. He did not even start in the championship game. That does not mean he is not better than Carter, but he is not the reason why the USA team won.

First in the three point shooting, third in points and minutes, fourth in assists, and team captain. He wasn't the only reason they won, but he was certainly one of the most important players on the team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2016, 04:59:40 PM »
I still won't have any effen hair.

Oh wait ...

I thought this thread was titled Bald Predictions.