* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Traci Carter  (Read 15365 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Traci Carter
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »
David Cubillan made more 3s as a true freshman than Dwyane Wade made in his entire MU career.

Let that sink in.
Eh. Wade was a slasher. That doesn't really mean anything to me.

EDIT: Upon reading earlier posts, I see this was posted in jest.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »
Wow.  Derrick made 11 in his entire career.  For grins, someone look up how many Junior made as a Sophomore.  Personally, I think Traci has far more upside than either.  We certainly had success under Junior's control.  Sure wish he had red-shirted after the injury Frosh year.
I think everyone agrees Carter has more upside. The argument would be whether as a freshmen he is better than Derrick as a senior. Certainly the last game he was, but right now that game is an outlier. How Carter performs the next 9 games will answer the question.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
Wow.  Derrick made 11 in his entire career.  For grins, someone look up how many Junior made as a Sophomore.  Personally, I think Traci has far more upside than either.  We certainly had success under Junior's control.  Sure wish he had red-shirted after the injury Frosh year.

Junior made 25 his entire career. 0 as a freshman. 2 as a sophomore. 9 as a junior. 14 as a senior. His highest 3p% was junior year, 23%. Junior could get by because he had the handle/elusiveness to get by guys, which Derrick didn't have. Junior also had a decent mid range game and converted about 70% from the line.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2488716/type/college/junior-cadougan

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
I think everyone agrees Carter has more upside. The argument would be whether as a freshmen he is better than Derrick as a senior. Certainly the last game he was, but right now that game is an outlier. How Carter performs the next 9 games will answer the question.

Here's the irony, I'd say this year's Traci would have been better for last year's team than Derrick. We could have used another shooter and someone who was better at creating offense.

And by the same token, I think senior Derrick would be better for this year's team. We have options, but turn the ball over way too much. Duane and Haanif create enough offense and we have good passing bigs, but no one who we can really trust to not turn it over.

But long run, I'll happily take Traci. I think he'll be really good for us.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2016, 09:28:23 PM »
Here's the irony, I'd say this year's Traci would have been better for last year's team than Derrick. We could have used another shooter and someone who was better at creating offense.

And by the same token, I think senior Derrick would be better for this year's team. We have options, but turn the ball over way too much. Duane and Haanif create enough offense and we have good passing bigs, but no one who we can really trust to not turn it over.

Was having this same discussion with a buddy of mine the other day.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »

No. We go on enough scoring droughts as it is, and defense is not a problem for this team.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2016, 09:53:28 PM »
Derricks was not a very good Big East point guard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »

I respectfully disagree.

Derrick was a Citadel-caliber player. We didn't need him playing 30+ minutes the previous two years, and we don't need him playing 10+ minutes now.

He's a fine young man who tried his darnedest, and I have absolutely no animosity toward him; it is not his fault he was the best PG Buzz successfully recruited.

But he simply is not very good at the sport Naismith called Basket Ball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
And I am going to respectfully disagree with you, 82.   Derrick Wilson was a functioning jumpshot away from being a legend.    D'd, rebounded, took care of the ball, led.   I could beat him in a game of horse.   But, with the right combination of players around him, i.e. players who could get their own shot from the other positions, he could have been an amazingly effective player.     Because his shooting was so poor, it affected the perception of everything else he brought.   Buzz and Wojo aren't blind or stupid regarding everything else he brought to the table.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2016, 11:52:38 AM »
And I am going to respectfully disagree with you, 82.   Derrick Wilson was a functioning jumpshot away from being a legend.    D'd, rebounded, took care of the ball, led.   I could beat him in a game of horse.   But, with the right combination of players around him, i.e. players who could get their own shot from the other positions, he could have been an amazingly effective player.     Because his shooting was so poor, it affected the perception of everything else he brought.   Buzz and Wojo aren't blind or stupid regarding everything else he brought to the table.
Derrick's "D" was average once the rules changed (though he was good in the back of a 2-3 zone).  He did not turn the ball over, but was weak against a press.  Also, pounding the ball on the floor against a zone is hardly "taking care of the ball".   As a PG, he had very poor court vision and could not feed the post.  Good rebounder for his size.  Leader offcourt..on court...?  Hardly the makings of a legend.  Decent player who was not a good PG.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2016, 11:53:08 AM »

Not sure he'd have been a legend, but I agree that he would have been a very valuable PG with the right players around him.  Too many teams suffer from not having a PG who can break the press, run the offense without turning the ball over, defend or rebound.  Derrick did all of those things well.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »
Not sure he'd have been a legend, but I agree that he would have been a very valuable PG with the right players around him.  Too many teams suffer from not having a PG who can break the press, run the offense without turning the ball over, defend or rebound.  Derrick did all of those things well.

I agree with MU82 here.  Derrick wasn't particularly adept at breaking the press (people hardly bothered pressing us because our halfcourt offense was so bad) and certainly wouldn't make you pay for pressing us, and I didn't see evidence that he could successfully run an offense.  He defended well, didn't turn the ball over (because he took no chances and didn't challenge the defense), and rebounded well for a guard.  If he was on a team with four great offensive players he would still have been a huge liability because you flat out did not have to guard him, even when he had the ball 15 feet from the basket.

I always feel dirty saying bad stuff about Derrick, because he seems like a great person, but he was badly miscast as a PG at the high D-1 level.  He was the only PG we had his last couple years, so he had to play alot.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:17:34 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2016, 12:15:09 PM »
once again, Derrick was not very good against the press.  Buzz also took him out against the press because he could not shoot FTs.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2016, 12:19:02 PM »
Oh boy...here we go again. I apologize for my part in this, but...

I think tower is about right. Not sure about the legend part, Derrick was certainly a terrible shooter (just like Junior before him) but he did a lot of things right. All the things he did right are the things this team does wrong. At the point, Traci has struggled to defend without fouling (though great work in that regard against Butler). Everyone who handles the ball (Traci, Duane, Haney, Henry) struggle with turnovers.

Derrick had issues, no doubt. Not a great shooter, but even worse he was surrounded by guys that couldn't get their own shot. If he didn't get it to them in position to shoot right then, they weren't going to convert. Jamil, Davante, Todd, and Jake were all okay to very good college players, but none were going to really create offense of their own accord. And last year, with Matt as our leading scorer, and Duane and Jajuan both inconsistent (and neither as able to create for themselves as they are now) there simply weren't options.

He would be much better surrounded by this year's versions of Duane and Jajuan, and Henry would have been exactly what Derrick needed, a guy who (despite efficiency issues) can always get his own shot.

No, he wouldn't be a panacea, but I fully believe this year's team would be better with Derrick, just like last year's team would have been better with Traci, who was much better at creating and would have excelled with a second point guard like Matt in the backcourt.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
once again, Derrick was not very good against the press.  Buzz also took him out against the press because he could not shoot FTs.

I watched him break the press many, many times.  Sorry you missed that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2016, 12:30:37 PM »
I watched him break the press many, many times.  Sorry you missed that.

+1

Buzz took him out because he could not shoot FTs, that much is true, but not because he couldn't break the press. Junior was the one who couldn't break the press if you spotted him a sledge hammer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »
Not a legend.   That was an exaggeration on my part and I am wrong.   However, if he was a serviceable shooter,  30% from 3, 65% from the line, the rest of his basketball skills would have been more appreciated.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
Not a legend.   That was an exaggeration on my part and I am wrong.   However, if he was a serviceable shooter,  30% from 3, 65% from the line, the rest of his basketball skills would have been more appreciated.

This I agree with.  If he could have forced the defense just to play him honest, it would've opened up a lot for him and for us.  Every once in a while a good non-con team would play him straight up and he would drive and do the things good PGs normally do.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2016, 12:45:25 PM »
Now this is the Scoop I love :) debating about Derrick Wilson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »
   Derrick Wilson was a functioning jumpshot away from being a legend.    D'd, rebounded, took care of the ball, led.   

Carter is already a better distributor in terms of creating opportunities off the bounce. Derrick was a great kid but severely limited as an effective starter.

Marquette has one of the best traditions for PG excellence. Wilson has no place in that Pantheon.

Death on call

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2016, 03:31:36 PM »
I've seen legendary point guards at Marquette.

Tony Miller (still the school's all-time leader in assists) was a legendary point guard. Travis Diener (an incredible scorer, distributor and competitor) was a legendary point guard. Dominic James (one of the most explosive athletes I've ever witnessed on Al McGuire court) was a legendary point guard.

Derrick Wilson was no legendary point guard. He did his best, played his guts out, gave everything he had to Marquette. But even if you take shooting/scoring out of the equation, there wasn't anything he did that was exceptional.

An example of the difference between legendary and not-even-close-to-legendary: Travis Diener scored 391 points in 33 games (11.8 PPG) during his sophomore year. That's only 9 points fewer than Derrick scored in his entire 4-year college career.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
I've seen legendary point guards at Marquette.

Tony Miller (still the school's all-time leader in assists) was a legendary point guard. Travis Diener (an incredible scorer, distributor and competitor) was a legendary point guard. Dominic James (one of the most explosive athletes I've ever witnessed on Al McGuire court) was a legendary point guard.

Derrick Wilson was no legendary point guard. He did his best, played his guts out, gave everything he had to Marquette. But even if you take shooting/scoring out of the equation, there wasn't anything he did that was exceptional.

An example of the difference between legendary and not-even-close-to-legendary: Travis Diener scored 391 points in 33 games (11.8 PPG) during his sophomore year. That's only 9 points fewer than Derrick scored in his entire 4-year college career.

Young pup. Meminger, Walton, Lee

brandx

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2016, 05:43:07 PM »

That's funny, Glow.

I had the exact same thought (maybe added Worthen as well), but then I thought if he was talking about legendary MU PGs and didn't mention these guys, he had to be in his 20;s.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2016, 05:55:23 PM »
That's funny, Glow.

I had the exact same thought (maybe added Worthen as well), but then I thought if he was talking about legendary MU PGs and didn't mention these guys, he had to be in his 20;s.

I'm guessing that Marcus92 graduated in 92. Putting him in his 40s. Still a young pup to some of you grizzled vets on here
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2016, 06:08:50 PM »
Those three would still be dominant PG's in today's game. They were all at the foundation of why we were a Blue Blood in those days.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback