* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoax created by MU Journalism students?  (Read 15319 times)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Hoax created by MU Journalism students?
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »
Not very funny if true.
--------------------------
Shaka Smart to Marquette is a Hoax Set Up by Journalism Students on Twitter
March 25, 2014   

Many news outlets, especially in the state of Wisconsin, thought Shaka Smart was about to leave his post as VCU's men's basketball head coach to accept the same position at Marquette. That is not the case as the rumors Marquette had signed him were a hoax by a few Marquette journalism students on Twitter.

The students were saying that Smart going to Marquette was already done and the two sides had a six-year deal in place. There was supposed to be a 5:00 p.m. Press conference to announce it. Many TV and newspaper reporters went to cover it, but did not get what they wanted.

While there was a press conference to make an announcement all that was said was the basketball team will have an April 15 banquet at Harley-Davidson Museum.

This did not stop several Wisconsin news outlets from reporting Smart to Marquette being a done deal. AM 1250, FOX 11, and WISN 12 all either announced on air or posted on their website that this was a done deal despite their "sources" being a bunch of college kids that had just come off spring break.

All of the reporters that hikes down there were done in by premature Twitter news. While Marquette has not denied that they would love to have Smart as their coach, no direct negotiations have happened. According to Tim Pearrell at the Richmond Times Dispatch, Marquette and fellow suiting school Wake Forest have yet to contact VCU for permission to talk to Smart.

Pearrell sited that Smart signed a deal after the 2013 NCAA Tournament that runs through 2023 that will pay him $1.4-1.6 million per year. Smart has led VCU to four straight NCAA Tournament appearances including the 2011 Final Four to go with a 137-46 record in his five years at the school.

Smart has proven to be loyal to VCU, turning down offers to coach Minnesota, NC State, and UCLA in recent years. Smart is a native of Madison, Wis. but does not look like he will leave VCU to go back to his home state.

Marquette is also not amused with the rumors according to WTMJ Sports Director Doug Russell. Marquette has acknowledged to have contacted former UCLA coach Ben Howland about the job but not anyone else. Current UW-Green Bay head coach and Marquette alumni Brian Wardle is also thought to be a candidate for the job. Marquette has had the job vacant since former coach Buzz Williams left the program for Virginia Tech on Friday.

Baring something completely unforeseen, Marquette will be continuing their job hunt without mathematics possibility of Shaka Smart being their head coach. CBS Sports' Steve Lappas said there is no chance Smart goes to Marquette and Smart told VCU administration he is not going anywhere.

http://www.dudesonsports.com/dudes-on-hoops/2014/3/25/shaka-smart-to-marquette-a-hoax-set-up-by-journalism-students-on-twitter

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Hoax created by MU Journalism students?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »
Plus they probably hurt their chances of getting jobs.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
this article can't have been written by a native english speaker
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
Not very funny if true.
--------------------------
Shaka Smart to Marquette is a Hoax Set Up by Journalism Students on Twitter
March 25, 2014   

Many news outlets, especially in the state of Wisconsin, thought Shaka Smart was about to leave his post as VCU's men's basketball head coach to accept the same position at Marquette. That is not the case as the rumors Marquette had signed him were a hoax by a few Marquette journalism students on Twitter.

The students were saying that Smart going to Marquette was already done and the two sides had a six-year deal in place. There was supposed to be a 5:00 p.m. Press conference to announce it. Many TV and newspaper reporters went to cover it, but did not get what they wanted.

While there was a press conference to make an announcement all that was said was the basketball team will have an April 15 banquet at Harley-Davidson Museum.

This did not stop several Wisconsin news outlets from reporting Smart to Marquette being a done deal. AM 1250, FOX 11, and WISN 12 all either announced on air or posted on their website that this was a done deal despite their "sources" being a bunch of college kids that had just come off spring break.

All of the reporters that hikes down there were done in by premature Twitter news. While Marquette has not denied that they would love to have Smart as their coach, no direct negotiations have happened. According to Tim Pearrell at the Richmond Times Dispatch, Marquette and fellow suiting school Wake Forest have yet to contact VCU for permission to talk to Smart.

Pearrell sited that Smart signed a deal after the 2013 NCAA Tournament that runs through 2023 that will pay him $1.4-1.6 million per year. Smart has led VCU to four straight NCAA Tournament appearances including the 2011 Final Four to go with a 137-46 record in his five years at the school.

Smart has proven to be loyal to VCU, turning down offers to coach Minnesota, NC State, and UCLA in recent years. Smart is a native of Madison, Wis. but does not look like he will leave VCU to go back to his home state.

Marquette is also not amused with the rumors according to WTMJ Sports Director Doug Russell. Marquette has acknowledged to have contacted former UCLA coach Ben Howland about the job but not anyone else. Current UW-Green Bay head coach and Marquette alumni Brian Wardle is also thought to be a candidate for the job. Marquette has had the job vacant since former coach Buzz Williams left the program for Virginia Tech on Friday.

Baring something completely unforeseen, Marquette will be continuing their job hunt without mathematics possibility of Shaka Smart being their head coach. CBS Sports' Steve Lappas said there is no chance Smart goes to Marquette and Smart told VCU administration he is not going anywhere.

http://www.dudesonsports.com/dudes-on-hoops/2014/3/25/shaka-smart-to-marquette-a-hoax-set-up-by-journalism-students-on-twitter

Good way to save face with Howland even it makes our school look BUSH

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:14:21 AM »
Terrible!!!

This new wave of Marquette students are douchy.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »
If true, what a bunch of little sh*ts. Go out to LA to work for some crappy tabloid and never come back to the Midwest.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
Terrible!!!

This new wave of Marquette students are douchy.

I can vouch for that.  I'm sure you mean this generation of students but this class of Freshmen and last years class are the least respectful most cocky classes I have seen in my five years here. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
Not a lot different than creating a computer virus to show how smart you are.  We may have just witnessed the start of the "news virus".
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:17:35 AM »
That's fricking hilarious/tragic if true.  Good for the students for teaching me about (a) the need for legit journalism, and (b) the echo chamber effect of internet.  Is it true?  I'm not taking "dudeonsports" word for it - lesson learned.  Serious journalists are trusted going forward...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 10:17:51 AM »
A hoax of a hoax?  :D  I doubt this story is true, but very interesting and one with very negative consequences for the students involved.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »
I dont want any Marquette alumni around who 's main goal was to make Marquette basketball look like idiots.   
These kids think they are so F-In smart!

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »
Makes a lot of sense, especially jives with what Avenue was saying in the other thread about information trickling down and how easily the 5pm announcement was picked up.

I sure hope the reputable sources IWB and Milwaukee sports news get their information from someone better than the student base...

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »
I can vouch for that.  I'm sure you mean this generation of students but this class of Freshmen and last years class are the least respectful most cocky classes I have seen in my five years here. 

I have a legit source that says the hoax was perpetrated by fifth year seniors and boxing gloves and bagpipes were found at the scene.

(WISN, feel free to quote me when you run that at 5 today)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
Makes a lot of sense, especially jives with what Avenue was saying in the other thread about information trickling down and how easily the 5pm announcement was picked up.

I sure hope the reputable sources IWB and Milwaukee sports news get their information from someone better than the student base...
This.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »
I dont want any Marquette alumni around who 's main goal was to make Marquette basketball look like idiots.   
These kids think they are so F-In smart!

I hear ya.

It's like when a Marquette fan starts a thread on Scoop titled "Wow we really blew it!!!". No alarmist idiot king making there.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »
Wait so Buzz didn't go to V Tech?

I have heard that the reason Smart isn't a done deal is because MU is holding out. They think Crean is about to get canned and he's their first choice.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
Britney Spears was coming to Marquette around 1998 or so.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »
They must not teach ethics in journalism. No wonder why reporters are so biased now a days.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
Britney Spears was coming to Marquette around 1998 or so.

I remember that...it was fantastic.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »

I do remember that as well....I was beyond stoked that I had just accepted my MU offer when I heard that....see we didn't need twitter for random wild a$$ rumors back in the day
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »

I would love to know who started that.  It was pre-social media, etc.  All word of mouth.  Brilliant college hoax.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 10:45:08 AM »
Rebuked pretty good by VCU RAM Nation....

Interesting they got Madison and Milwaukee mixed up, at least they didn't say anything about Michigan

http://www.vcuramnation.com/2014/03/tuesday-morning-news-and-notes/
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »
Let me get this straight

we are up-in-arms because twitter was not accurate.  And how do we know this?  Because a website titled "dudes on sports" that have trouble with the English language said so?

Man is the world upside down!!

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »
I rerally think that if this was TRULY a hoax, one of the schools would have announced something that it was a hoax...Also, I dont think multiple GOOD sources would get it wrong, ie   IWB,  BULLSEYE    etc... Just Sayin'...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
I rerally think that if this was TRULY a hoax, one of the schools would have announced something that it was a hoax...Also, I dont think multiple GOOD sources would get it wrong, ie   IWB,  BULLSEYE    etc... Just Sayin'...

Their is only one source ... IWB.  They rest trusted him and rewrote his tweet and made it look like they were all getting it independently. 

It's a giant circle jerk with IWB in the middle.

feedback