'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan transferring  (Read 15347 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: Juan transferring
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »
Dammit!  Disappointed.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2013, 05:16:53 PM »
When it comes to players staying or going...nothing surprises me.

I read that as of yesterday, 225 college bb players had announced transfers this year so far.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
Were actually one under now. With Ferguson and Juan leaving.

Have Buzz & Co. been active with any Juco's lately?  Ferguson's transfer leaves only one scholarship player (Taylor Jr) in our sophomore class...any noteworthy Juco freshman eligible to sign for 2013 to help balance the classes a bit?  

Be great to find a second year big man who could step in with Steve and give us a formidable front court for the next 3 years - perhaps bridge the gap between Oxtule and Diamond Stone????

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »
If Blue comes back he won't see the floor next year. My guess is he'll go mid major. This board does a good job of over inflating worth. He can't shoot, drive or finish real well and wasn't a stand out defender. JJJ would play ahead of him next year. Don't forget when the 3 amigos came to town blakson, smith and 1 other that I can't recall left as well. Writing is on the wall.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »

Be great to find a second year big man who could step in with Steve and give us a formidable front court for the next 3 years - perhaps bridge the gap between Oxtule and Diamond Stone????

Heard one just left UWGB.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:37:00 PM by Archies Bat »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »
If Blue comes back he won't see the floor next year. My guess is he'll go mid major. This board does a good job of over inflating worth. He can't shoot, drive or finish real well and wasn't a stand out defender. JJJ would play ahead of him next year. Don't forget when the 3 amigos came to town blakson, smith and 1 other that I can't recall left as well. Writing is on the wall.

Good teams need role players, dude. Juan was a perfect one.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »
That's a shame. I liked him and i thought he was really starting to come around.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
Good teams need role players, dude. Juan was a perfect one.

That's true but good players who were top 100 or close to it such as Juan don't always want to be role players their whole career. I don't think Juan would have been good enough to warrant minutes over Taylor, McKay, or Jamil Wilson next year. Someone would have been unhappy there. At the same time though, I think he's too good of a talent to sit on the bench all year. A good move to transfer for Juan's basketball career. Whether his basketball career is the reason he transferred or not I don't know. Maybe it was the rough spring weather this year.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »
Will miss him from a team player and attitude perspective.  He did about nothing right on the floor the past month-plus of the season, really seemed there was a lot to change for him to go from a ceiling of role player to a serious contributor.  Best of luck to Juan - now we'll see if Buzz can add to the incoming class.  Hoping for Black or another one-and-done or Juco transfer in now that we've got an open roster spot - and also hoping there is no more subtractions.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »

Who are Blakson and Smith? If you're talking about Odartay Blankston he transferred 3 years before the amigos showed up on campus so I'm guessing they didn't have much to do with it.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
Wow, I'm shocked.  :o

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
Juan brought some energy, nice he is a great kid, but really can he play?  At the end he was afraid to shoot the ball, of course it never went in, so why shoot it.  could not finish at the
rim, and next year he might not want to sit on the bench.  Burton is a much stronger kid, both have trouble shooting the ball.  This really opens up time for Taylor, he is a much better
ball player and I am sure McKay, and Wilson gives you more than enough bigs upfront.  2 centers and 4 forwards.  Add Johnson at 6' 6" and you are fine at the position.  Buzz wants 13
solid players, but some players want playing time.  I am not disappointed he is leaving at all, good luck.  Loved his energy!  

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
We are one under for 2013.  

Getting Black and holding it for 2014 would be my preference...I don't think there is much left we are in on for 2013 unless I am missing on some decommits.

I wouldn't mind a project big man though.  

OR - get Black and convince him to redshirt this year and be the one year stopgap center in 2014 until the twin towers of Ellenson & Stone show up.  A guy can dream, right???

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2013, 05:50:04 PM »
Who are Blakson and Smith? If you're talking about Odartay Blankston he transferred 3 years before the amigos showed up on campus so I'm guessing they didn't have much to do with it.
Wasn't Blankson the one who left the year before Wade and Co. went to Final Four? Somehow that sticks in my memory that if he wouldn't have transferred he would have been on that team. He was a very good player.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »
A few weeks ago I had an interesting conversation with some good friends that are still in college athletics 'biz'.  They said some interesting things about transfers in college hoops.  One called it an epidemic, the other was close.  Said the NCAA is wanting to crack down on it, but it isn't easy.

I asked why all the movement in their opinion.  Their belief in their experiences is playing time, but they also said it is because we have let this happen at the High School and AAU level.  We encourage kids to quit (move on) from their teams all the time at those levels and transfer to get more PT.  It's all about showcasing the athlete and if junior isn't getting enough playing time, he's encouraged to go to the next AAU team or a different high school.  Why would it be any different in college when this is what these kids are used to doing?  Part of today's environment.

I really enjoyed having a Californian on the squad, which is a rarity.  I remember I almost left after freshman year...it's tough being that far from home, but you stick it out.  Wish him the best...it won't be the last.  Unfortunate the level it has gotten to in college basketball.  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:03:01 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2013, 06:03:05 PM »
Wasn't Blankson the one who left the year before Wade and Co. went to Final Four? Somehow that sticks in my memory that if he wouldn't have transferred he would have been on that team. He was a very good player.

Yes he was.  And to this day I am convinced that with him we win the whole Freaking thing.  Townsend was the only week link in that starting lineup and Blankson would have been in his spot

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
In reality, I didn't see Juan improving much over the next 2 years, had he'd stayed. He certainly didn't play like a top 100 recruit. This is the best thing for his career moving forward. He would have been a role player at best.

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
+1   Agree completely.  Loved his attitude, great cheerleader but we need guys who can shoot and score and, if he were that "upside" player, we would have seen him bust out in a few games at least and warrant more PT.  He is not that player. Best of luck to him.
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »
Wonder if this became a discussion much earlier than any of us heard about it. I thought Juan showed tremendous progress early in the season but plateaued in Feb. Yet he still got more playing time than I thought he showed he proved to have earned on the court. Wonder if Buzz played him more than he might have otherwise, knowing he was going to leave at the end of this season - give him a chance to see the court and have something to show to a school he wanted to transfer to.

In any case, very disappointed to see him go. I am a big fan of his, thought he brought a lot to the team if not as much on the court (and he did contribute there) then certainly on the sidelines, cheering his teammates on. Wish him all the best in his future.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
Wonder if this became a discussion much earlier than any of us heard about it. I thought Juan showed tremendous progress early in the season but plateaued in Feb. Yet he still got more playing time than I thought he showed he proved to have earned on the court. Wonder if Buzz played him more than he might have otherwise, knowing he was going to leave at the end of this season - give him a chance to see the court and have something to show to a school he wanted to transfer to.

ROFL....yeah and he wanted to screw Ferguson in his transfer by not playing him? What did Juan show to schools in the times that he played that would be valuable besides his hustle?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »
Good luck Juan!  Appreciate your high energy and enthusiasm.  You were a good Warrior!  Hope you do well in the future.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
WTF? Better hope neither Blue nor Jamil decide to roll the dice in the draft. Looks like more JUCOs headed our way as we're going to be without some upperclassmen shortly.
They both need another year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Wow...just wow. Did not see that coming.
Why would you not see that? who were the last two guys that started, played three minutes a half and did not see any other time? They transferred.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2013, 06:20:49 PM »
...it's tough being that far from home, but you stick it out.

.......or for some, you don't.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
I liked him also.  LEt the "BUZZCUTTING " comments begin... :-[
Exactly!!!

feedback