[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How about the SLU fightin' Rick Majerus's!!  (Read 15329 times)

Canadian Dimes

• All American
How about the SLU fightin' Rick Majerus's!!
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
Big Big win tonite in their fight for an NCAA bid!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Re: How about the SLU fightin' Rick Majerus's!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »
Its pronounced Majeri

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »
boy, xavier sure has fallen apart.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »
Gotta love Big Rick!  I pull for SLU and am thrilled for their success.   

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »
boy, xavier sure has fallen apart.

Fine by me because I got sick of hearing how good Tu Holloway was supposed to be.  He has been about as good as he was against MU last year 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:45:10 AM »
Way to go Rick!!!!!!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 07:11:25 AM »
Every time I see the name, I can only think of this article.

http://deadspin.com/5439875/ahole-coach-digest-special-rick-majerus-edition

"Not knowing what to expect, we sat back eagerly awaiting his next move. What happened next still haunts me to this day. Majerus took the towel, pulled his pants down, and quickly took a dump into the towel, which he was holding under his ass. After he was done he used part of the towel to wipe, wrapped it up, and HANDED IT BACK TO THE MANAGER, and told him to throw it away. The kid looked like a deer in giant Rick Majerus headlights. The whole room was silent. Rick just pulled his pants up and went back to the scout, never once mentioning it or acting like anything out of the ordinary had occurred."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »
Every time I see the name, I can only think of this article.

http://deadspin.com/5439875/ahole-coach-digest-special-rick-majerus-edition

"Not knowing what to expect, we sat back eagerly awaiting his next move. What happened next still haunts me to this day. Majerus took the towel, pulled his pants down, and quickly took a dump into the towel, which he was holding under his ass. After he was done he used part of the towel to wipe, wrapped it up, and HANDED IT BACK TO THE MANAGER, and told him to throw it away. The kid looked like a deer in giant Rick Majerus headlights. The whole room was silent. Rick just pulled his pants up and went back to the scout, never once mentioning it or acting like anything out of the ordinary had occurred."

Maybe you should lead with this......"What follows are two stories. Fables. Myths. Grand urban legends of Majerus' boorishness, if you will."

I went to a big man's camp with Rick and Randy Breuer in the mid 80s at Carroll College.  He did show up the last day only.  Told some great Doc Rivers stories.  I do remember him wearing VERY tight BIKE coach shorts.  Nasty.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
While at SLU for law school, I was able to attend a fan Q&A with Majerus. What followed was 90 minutes of pure college basketball purgatory, but Rick made the entire event memorable.

1.) He compared the decision for SLU to go to the A-10 with the decision to send troops to Vietnam. He said the administration was sold a bill of goods about the A-10 and it hasn't come true, SLU is at a competitive disadvantage due to all their additional travel, and SLU fans don't give a rat's ass about beating LaSalle or St. Bonaventure. He thought SLU should bite the bullet, go to the Missouri Valley Conference, and wait there for the Big East to break up (This was approximately 2 years ago).

2.) He then challenged the group (about 100 SLU basketball diehards) to name all 14 teams in the A-10. It took the entire group more than 5 minutes to correctly name SLU, Dayton, Xavier, Charlotte, Richmond, George Washington, Duquesne, Temple, LaSalle, St. Joseph's, Fordham, St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, and UMass.

3.) Rick said the A-10 was a conference that "made no sense." It had 14 teams, 4 teams in the Midwest, including one west of the Mississippi, its conference tournament in Atlantic City (where it doesn't have a team), its league offices in Newport News, Virginia (where it doesn't have a team), and its league meetings in Florida (where it doesn't have a team).

4.) Rick showed up after the complimentary Papa John's had arrived. Rick proceeded to take three slices of pizza, stack them on top of each other, and eat them simultaneously in a "pizza sandiwch."

5.) When asked why SLU no longer plays Marquette and DePaul, Majerus implied that MU threw SLU nder the bus in the 2005 Conference realignment, and now won't offer a one-for-one or two-for-one Majerus implied Marquette was afraid to play SLU in St. Louis. I don't blame him. That arena would be one of the scariest arenas in the Big East.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:30:43 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »
When focused Rick is one helluva of a basketball coach. He has done some amazing things in very unlikely places.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »
They have to be in unlikely places...his act would never survive in a "likely" place.

A friend of mine, who also knows Rick, said that he once visited him at his hotel in Salt Lake, and that there were about two dozen empty pizza boxes around the place.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »
If winning his act would work anywhere. He is a highly entertaining person and obviously is more entertaining when winning.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
Fightin' Majerusssesssss >>>>> Billikens

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
Rick might be MU head coach today. 

My theory has always been that MU handled the Majerus situation poorly.  Administration panicked when rumors of Majerus taking over at UW Madison, moved Hank to the AD office, making Rick the new HC.  In hindsight, this was a role he needed to grow into.

I think Rick would have been a good or great MU coach (look at what he accomplished at Utah).  If the admin or Hank, or whoever was in charge at the time (it was a confused mess at the time) would have taken Rick aside and said: "Rick, we love you man.  Take the HC job at Ball State, learn well, and when Hank retires, you're our guy.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »
Remember when he was announcing one of our games a few years back and he brought a dollhouse to the game to try to show how we played?

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
Rick might be MU head coach today. 

My theory has always been that MU handled the Majerus situation poorly.  Administration panicked when rumors of Majerus taking over at UW Madison, moved Hank to the AD office, making Rick the new HC.  In hindsight, this was a role he needed to grow into.

I think Rick would have been a good or great MU coach (look at what he accomplished at Utah).  If the admin or Hank, or whoever was in charge at the time (it was a confused mess at the time) would have taken Rick aside and said: "Rick, we love you man.  Take the HC job at Ball State, learn well, and when Hank retires, you're our guy.

I was there for the majerus years.  He needed to go.  I am glad that he found some success after MU, but our being relegated to NIT purgatory was the least of his issues.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
I was there for the majerus years.  He needed to go.  I am glad that he found some success after MU, but our being relegated to NIT purgatory was the least of his issues.

But I think ringout's point was that he simply wasn't ready to be a head coach at the time...especially at Marquette.

And Marquette deserves a lot of the blame.  They were acting like it was still 1977, when in fact it was 1987.  The college basketball world changed dramatically during that time...the rise of the Big East and the Metro Conferences...ESPN changing the television landscape.  And there was little ole MU acting as an independent and having no clue what was going on.

Honestly, if Cords hadn't hired Kevin O'Neill to lead us out of the wilderness, Marquette might be lucky to be SLU right now.  We might be one of the schools that Majerus was making fun of in that article.  We were playing in what is now the Horizon Conference.  If we hadn't gotten good when we did, it could be argued that we don't get the Great Midwest invite....which lead to CUSA...which lead to Big East.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
I completely agree that KO saved our bacon. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
Rick woulda been the coach of ND if he were a little smarter.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »
Sultan---Without KO we are UW Parkside

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
I was there for the majerus years.  He needed to go.  I am glad that he found some success after MU, but our being relegated to NIT purgatory was the least of his issues.

At the time he left, me and my MU friends had a party.  The theme was "Hooray, the fatman is gone. 

It is with age and wisdom that I came to my current views (and watching how well he did at Utah).

Slim

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
I was living in Texas during the "Rick Years". I convinced a group of friends to watch the big MU-Louisville game at Louisville. As the game went on he got sweatier and sweatier. his shirt was out, he was soaked. He looked horrible. My friends were laughing at him and making jokes. It was pissing me off. Finally, after Marquette won the game, Rick was interviewed and his only comment was " I'm gonna eat all the ribs in Louisville" . My friends still talk about that. I was just glad we won.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
Man, I remember Rick doing his bull-rushes to the court whenever he didn't agree with a foul call, only to be restrained by an assistant coach, while the fans yelled 'sit down hogman!'.  Not pretty.

Sultan hit it on the head re KO and our salvation,  but it was salvation from the Dukiet era more than Majerus.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
Cat used to turn redder than a lobster. Thought he was gonna pop a gasket.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 08:45:43 PM »
Perhaps I am full of hooey on this...wont be he first time..or last.

Has anyone noticed that when Rick talks about Al, he has a "tone" about him.  Can't put my finger on it. 

feedback