* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's "Honesty" Starting to Bug Me  (Read 15326 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Buzz's "Honesty" Starting to Bug Me
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:41:57 AM »
On the way home from the game, listening to Homer's interview with Buzz.  Homer was gushing about Butler's play and stat line to Buzz. (Butler was pretty terrific last night on the boards, driving, defense.) Buzz's first remark was something like, "you know Homer, Jimmy is a good player, he's not a great player..." I'm like, shut up and give the guy some credit for a solid effort last night. Buzz seems to do this often, going overboard to describe something more negatively. I remember first hearing this last year in an interview when Buzz said Cubillan "knows he will never be a great player." I'm sure he does, but that doesn't mean you need to talk about it in an interview. Save it for practice. I recall more than a few times when a player doesn't play or practice well, it's "player x was flat-out awful" instead of "player x was off a little tonight."  I'm all for being honest with your players, but it really doesn't seem necessary when you're talking to the media about these kids. I understand the effort last night was against Centenary and you don't want to make too much of it, but I've heard Buzz do this on numerous occasions. Again, it just seems totally unnecessary.  I'm sure some will call this refreshing, but it is starting to annoy me.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Buzz's "Honesty" Starting to Bug Me
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »
On the way home from the game, listening to Homer's interview with Buzz.  Homer was gushing about Butler's play and stat line to Buzz. (Butler was pretty terrific last night on the boards, driving, defense.) Buzz's first remark was something like, "you know Homer, Jimmy is a good player, he's not a great player..." I'm like, shut up and give the guy some credit for a solid effort last night. Buzz seems to do this often, going overboard to describe something more negatively. I remember first hearing this last year in an interview when Buzz said Cubillan "knows he will never be a great player." I'm sure he does, but that doesn't mean you need to talk about it in an interview. Save it for practice. I recall more than a few times when a player doesn't play or practice well, it's "player x was flat-out awful" instead of "player x was off a little tonight."  I'm all for being honest with your players, but it really doesn't seem necessary when you're talking to the media about these kids. I understand the effort last night was against Centenary and you don't want to make too much of it, but I've heard Buzz do this on numerous occasions. Again, it just seems totally unnecessary.  I'm sure some will call this refreshing, but it is starting to annoy me.

Actually, he said Jimmy was a REALLY good player - an accurate AND complimentary assessment. If you prefer gushing hyperbole, coach-speak and general bs I'm sure someone has archived TC's pressers.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »
Not asking for gushing hyperbole but it is ridiculous.  I suppose you would like it if you manager held a meeting with the investors/board or potential customers and said how Mr. Freeport had a nice month but we all know he's an average employee who will never be great.  Its complete bullsh*t and I'm tired of it to, mostly because Butler could be great....may not be the most talented but he makes up for it.  

Say what you want to the player in closed quarters but he doesn't need to announce it to the press, there is a reason 99.9% of the coaches don't do it.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »
So what is better, to be consistent in what one says, or to have two versions, both of which the players can hear. Seems like it would be phony if that was the case.  Better to be consistent in what one says. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »
Not asking for gushing hyperbole but it is ridiculous.  I suppose you would like it if you manager held a meeting with the investors/board or potential customers and said how Mr. Freeport had a nice month but we all know he's an average employee who will never be great.  Its complete bullsh*t and I'm tired of it to, mostly because Butler could be great....may not be the most talented but he makes up for it.  

Say what you want to the player in closed quarters but he doesn't need to announce it to the press, there is a reason 99.9% of the coaches don't do it.

You will notice that generally Buzz states a players negative(s), and then follows it up with their positives or a positive statement.  We are already in a too touchey-feely world.  This is sports.  Toughness is required, and if our players feelings are hurt through Buzz making a negative statement about them in the press - they probably aren't the type of player Buzz wants in the program.  History shows many coaches who have been thought to be candid, disciplinarians, etc to be successful.  Buzz obviously has love for all of his players, and has a huge heart - these guys know that.  But, he also is going to challenge them to be their best, and don't think for a minute part of this isn't calculated.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »
I think it's best to have those conversations man-to-man, not taking the kid down a notch in a public forum. For whose benefit? Ours? As a fan, I don't need that kind of "transparency."  I remember thinking a bunch of MU kids probably heard Buzz take Cooby down a notch last year.  Next day, those kids see him in class and saying something like, "dude, that blows coach said you suck on the radio and you'll never be any good."  I'm sure it does wonders for your confidence. Again, is this for "our" benefit? Maybe it's great motivation, but I don't get it. Unnecessary, that's all I'm saying.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:13:36 AM »

So you're equating "he's a really good player" with "an average employee who will never be great?"

Hmmm, speaking of hyperbole ....
And I'm pretty sure 99.9 percent of all coaches don't blow smoke up their players' behinds at every opportunity, much less after the first game of the season.

Anyhow, maybe I'm the exception, but I prefer a little honesty. If Buzz came out last night and declared Jimmy Butler a "great player" every thinking fan here would know it's not true.
Jimmy Butler is a good player. Maybe even a really good player.
Jimmy Butler is not a great player.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 11:28:30 AM »
I dunno.. doesn't bug me.. one thing it says though is that when he says he thinks someone is great, he means it.  He doesn't give that out much so it gives the players something to aim for.

If you constantly give your employees annual ratings of 8-10 on a 10 point scale then when they truly excel what do you have to give them?

Nah.. doesn't bug me at all.  "Really good player" is relatively high compliment from Buzz.  Take it for what it is but don't grow your ego too big as he also thinks you have room to improve.  Don't like what he said?  Prove him wrong the next chance you have.  If you do, he'll be honest about it then too.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:28:36 AM »
I think it's a service to Jimmy that he's getting timely, direct, honest, & CONSISTENT feedback from Buzz.  Too often, managers or coaches are afraid to provide honest & constructive feedback and the employee or player goes on thinking they're doing a good job.  I'm sure Buzz is being consistent in his messaging to the players and that the comments he made are something Jimmy has heard before.  Does it matter that it's to the media?  I don't think so, if the player has thin skin, he should look to play at a lower profile program.

I appreciate Buzz's candor and am sick of coaches who are always blowing smoke up players a$$e$.  The only way these players will reach their goal of a professional basketball career is by someone riding them hard and pushing them to be the best they can be.  If I had a son, I would love for him to play for someone like Buzz who demands excellence and won't accept anything less.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »
He hasn't lied yet.   He sometimes underseells because he is watching like a coach and not like a fan.    I am sure he saw JB do 10 things wrong.    He praises JB's work ethic and says he has a still higher ceiling.    What is the problem?    He praises Otule, but says he hasn't had a decent matchup yet.     Sorry, but 99% of the time honesty is the best policy.    The 1% usually has to do with relationships and whether a pair of pants makes your significant other's butt look big.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 11:44:27 AM »
When I coached I had a sign in the locker room that read. Good isn't good enough. Great is.
Good athletes have smoke blown up their ass from middle school on. And all of Marquette's athletes are good. When they were in middle school, they were great....by comparison.

Too many athletes fail to recognize the efforts it takes to play well at this higher level of competition. So when a college coach says they need more effort, many recall they weren't really challenged in the past. They succeeded then so why not now?

My take on Buzz's honesty is that he is merely reminding the players of the need for constant effort to be better. These guys know Buzz better than any of us will ever know him. I have yet to see any negative reaction to his way of prodding everyone on the team. If any one player is too sensitive to public criticism while accepting public acclaim, he would be a terrible fit for a powerhouse BE program. Our athletes can take it because they are tough enough.
Players win awards but teams win championships

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »

Buzz didn't say JB was an "average" player. He said he was a "REALLY GOOD" player. I find it humourous when non athletes take such offense on behalf of players who know the score and are totally ok with it. There is a reason why Buzz has a better relationship with his players than 99.9% of those 99.9% of coaches you reference. He's open, honest and caring and his players know it. That's more than good enough for me.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
You will notice that generally Buzz states a players negative(s), and then follows it up with their positives or a positive statement.  We are already in a too touchey-feely world.  This is sports.  Toughness is required, and if our players feelings are hurt through Buzz making a negative statement about them in the press - they probably aren't the type of player Buzz wants in the program.  History shows many coaches who have been thought to be candid, disciplinarians, etc to be successful.  Buzz obviously has love for all of his players, and has a huge heart - these guys know that.  But, he also is going to challenge them to be their best, and don't think for a minute part of this isn't calculated.

Great 1st post, +1

GOLDY

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
Buzz's first remark was something like, "you know Homer, Jimmy is a good player, he's not a great player..." I'm like, shut up and give the guy some credit for a solid effort last night.

Isn't saying "Jimmy is a good player" giving him credit?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 12:17:29 PM »
If your coach isn't going to blow your horn "WHO IS" ?
Honesty is for the locker room when it comes to critiques of players

muole

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 12:27:43 PM »
HELL NO!

Candor always wins the day.  Go Buzz!  Keep telling it like it is.  Good and bad.

enjoyed watching the kids play last night.  it's going to be a fun season.

LON

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 12:32:34 PM »
Players have fans and girls to tell them how wonderful they are, it's Buzz job to make sure they know good isn't good enough as DaCoach says.  I like Buzz's approach.

GOLDY

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
Each and every one of you have made some great, great posts.  You are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the good work. Everyone is so proud of you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
I think it's best to have those conversations man-to-man, not taking the kid down a notch in a public forum. For whose benefit? Ours? As a fan, I don't need that kind of "transparency."  I remember thinking a bunch of MU kids probably heard Buzz take Cooby down a notch last year.  Next day, those kids see him in class and saying something like, "dude, that blows coach said you suck on the radio and you'll never be any good."  I'm sure it does wonders for your confidence. Again, is this for "our" benefit? Maybe it's great motivation, but I don't get it. Unnecessary, that's all I'm saying.

Then why even speak at all?  If all he is going to say is a bunch of coach-speak and platitudes, I'd rather not even hear it.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 12:43:47 PM »
I like the Buzz post game interviews.  Yes Jimmy had a double double, but it was against Centenary....

If Jimmy does this against a 'Nova...I believe Buzz will have a little more hype for Jimmy

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 12:44:30 PM »
Keep in mind, ALL of this is what Buzz says outside of the locker room.  I don't know, but I would assume he is telling his players all of this long before the media.  If the players did perceive him as publicly berating them, I wouldn't think they'd be as enthusiastic to play for him.

There's a lot more to his relationship with the players than gets publicly stated.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
There was a thread recently where someone on this board refered to butler as 'not a stud' and was yelled at by several posters for 'ripping' him.  Thought lenny's tap was one of those people.  Not going to bother to look it up so i could be wrong.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
 Its complete bullsh*t and I'm tired of it to, mostly because Butler could be great....may not be the most talented but he makes up for it.  

My radio was breaking up on the way home, but I thought Buzz said Jimmy was a good player, and something about being at MU for three years could make him a great player.  So Jimmy has an extremely honest coach saying he could go from good to great.  If Jimmy feels Buzz truly knows what a great player is, and he feels Jimmy could be one, I would think Jimmy would do everything he could to become a great player.  When Buzz calls him a great player, then he knows he truly is one.

I understand people's complaints, but this is calculated on Buzz's part, and I think he has the right to motivate and handle his players as he feels best as long as their is a plan to the process.  I don't see him pulling a Bobby Knight and acting outside of anger.  My guess is the players hear people say he should be "nicer" when speaking to the media and they laugh because they know no one cares or helps their game more than Buzz.  If it upsets kids, we should see multiple transfers and a drop in recruiting. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
Give me a break...Buzz Williams' post game shows are the best we've had in 10 years. He's actually engaging and is conversational with Homer.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 01:50:17 PM »
Oh heaven forbid someone's feelings get hurt.  We live in such a soft politically correct world these days.  If the players have a problem with it, they will transfer out and the really good players won't even think about coming here.  I think Jimmy, Lazar and the rest of the MU players are man enough where if they don't like what Buzz says about them, they can take matters into their own hands.  Fact of the matter is, it is a common knowledge that Buzz's favorite saying to all of his players is "Hoooowwwww duuuummmmb arrrrrrrrrrrre youuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!"     And yet, somehow, someway, they love him as a coach.  Go figure.    If you don't like it, don't listen to him.  Most used to tune out our old coach because they couldn't stand him talk either.