'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UWM fans (some of them) respond  (Read 6832 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: UWM fans (some of them) respond
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 02:32:24 AM »
This line makes you think about the future of the series:

Things won't get better next year. We will lose Torre and Paige, and Marquette loses no one unless James goes pro. This series will get uglier before it gets better.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 02:53:50 AM by TallTitan34 »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 02:36:20 AM »

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 08:51:11 AM »
They asked/begged us for a series, and many of the fans called us out saying we were scared to play them.

We don't owe UWM anything...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:30:45 AM »
They asked/begged us for a series, and many of the fans called us out saying we were scared to play them.

To go a step further ...

They begged for a series, called Marquette chicken (and other less pleasant names), accused MU of being disinterested in the well-being of Wisconsin basketball ... and then have the audacity to whine about 'class' when they receive the beatdown they so desperately wanted and so richly deserved.

Memo to UWM: Don't pick a fight with a bigger, tougher guy who just wants to be left alone and then go crying home to mama when you get the snot beaten out of you.

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 10:29:34 AM »

Jeter paid the piper for those who went before (mostly Pearl). Pity the Great Pumpkin himeself wasn't there to get the message (good and hard). But then Texas did that for us.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »
Culliban has been criticised on this board for being celebrating after threes. He is going to get under some people's skin. Has antics have nothing to do with UWM, that is the way he is. Frankly, I love it. I want to watch players that are really into the game. Diener was like that to. Culliban is the most improved player on the team. Last year every time he tried a break away layup it got blocked. Now he takes it to the hoop when he is covered and scores. Given his rate of improvement, ehusiasm, and toughness he will be better than the big three when he leaves MU.

mucrew08

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:27:12 AM »
I don't know if anyone else noticed it or not, but as Crean was walking over to the student section, like he does after every game, some UWM fans were yelling at him. I didn't hear what they said, but when Crean walked passed the students he was very upset. I like how UWM is talking about how classless MU is, well they showed how classy they are also.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »

I'm generally against running up the score, but I was happy to see Marquette score 100 points in this one. UWM complained for years about this game, went to the press and made an "issue" of it, and god knows we've had to listen to UWM fans insist Marquette was "scared" to play them. Well as the saying goes, "Don't wish too hard, you just might get what you wished for." Take that UWM, you got what you wished for and it was an ass whipping for the ages. Marquette is dominant. Period. Live with it.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »

To go a step further ...

They begged for a series, called Marquette chicken (and other less pleasant names), accused MU of being disinterested in the well-being of Wisconsin basketball ... and then have the audacity to whine about 'class' when they receive the beatdown they so desperately wanted and so richly deserved.

Memo to UWM: Don't pick a fight with a bigger, tougher guy who just wants to be left alone and then go crying home to mama when you get the snot beaten out of you.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pakuni sums it up perfectly. UWM awakened a sleeping giant in Milwaukee and now they have to live with the consequences.
We Are Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 12:11:43 PM »
What I found amusing was the poster who found Crean classless, especially in comparison to Barry Alvarez, who kneeled on the 1-yard line in a game. Barry Alvarez? The clown who got his school placed on probation by offering massive "student-athlete discounts" on shoes? The guy who threw his school's admissions policy out the window to bring in a star running back who belonged nowhere near a college campus? That Barry Alvarez? 

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 12:30:47 PM »
Culliban has been criticised on this board for being celebrating after threes. He is going to get under some people's skin. Has antics have nothing to do with UWM, that is the way he is. Frankly, I love it. I want to watch players that are really into the game. Diener was like that to. Culliban is the most improved player on the team. Last year every time he tried a break away layup it got blocked. Now he takes it to the hoop when he is covered and scores. Given his rate of improvement, ehusiasm, and toughness he will be better than the big three when he leaves MU.

Couldn't agree more about his antics. I personally love his emotion.  I could see how it would irritate opponets but nontheless I love the emotion he shows

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 12:40:37 PM »
What I found amusing was the poster who found Crean classless, especially in comparison to Barry Alvarez, who kneeled on the 1-yard line in a game. Barry Alvarez? The clown who got his school placed on probation by offering massive "student-athlete discounts" on shoes? The guy who threw his school's admissions policy out the window to bring in a star running back who belonged nowhere near a college campus? That Barry Alvarez? 

What's the basketball equivalent of taking a knee at the one-yard line? Driving for an easy layup then intentionally tossing the ball out of bounds?

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 01:13:18 PM »

Couldn't agree more about his antics. I personally love his emotion.  I could see how it would irritate opponets but nontheless I love the emotion he shows

Exactly. Thing to remember. Cubes wouldn't be celebrating so much if their defense wasn't letting him knock down threes, and UWM wouldn't be irritated if they were winning....OK, maybe that's a little unrealistic....how about losing by less than 20?

UWM Basketball: Better than Marquette for 18 seconds!
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

ultimate

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 02:17:08 PM »

Hmmm you've got a point on the admissions policy, but the shoes - how can you call Barry classless for that??  Barry didn't give his student athletes discounts.  Do you have proof that he didn't discuss the NCAA policies with all his athletes?

The Blue and Gold Nikes that I am wearing right now (and wore to the game last night) came from that store and I got a discount on them from the store owner as well.  I can't even imagine the amount of money that the store owner has given to local high school athletics programs not to mention any high school athlete that walks into his store when he is there is usually given a discount for being in the right place at the right time.  I also know a teacher that asked his store for shoes for under priviledged kids at her school so they have shoes for gym class.  He donated a box of like 15 pairs of tennis shoes.  The shoe store owner made a mistake with "running tabs" he had going and the Badger athletes made a mistake for accepting them, but the shoe incident does not make Barry classless.

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 02:44:56 PM »

I understand that some fans hatred is so strong that they resort to petty name calling and referee paranoia.  This comment has taken that to another level.  Barry Alvarez performed quite possibly the most remarkable turn around of any D1 program.  What that football program was and has become in addition to the entire athletic program is no less than a miracle and he and Pat Ritcher deserve all the credit.  He inherited a team coached by Don Morton that won a total of 6 or 7 games the previous 3 years and played in a stadium sometimes 25% of capacity.  They now have Big Ten contending bball and fball teams year in and year out, not to mention perennial top 25 teams.  What Tom Crean inherited or any other D1 football or basketball coach pales in comparison.

The shoe scandal was one of the most trivial of many trivial violations the NCAA has investigated.  That store owner offered discounts to all UW students and non students as well.  You make it sound like they were forced to forfeit games, banned from bowls or received the death penalty.  Probation??  They had a handful of players receive 1-3 game suspensions most before conference play.  It was an example of the NCAA over legislating and looking for any violation to slap WI on the wrist.  Are you referring to Brent Moss??  Show me any winning D1 football program with a roster of 80-100 players that hasn't kicked a player off its team.  You are really reaching in your hatred of this incredibly successful coach. 

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 02:51:49 PM »
One more point, you are probably one of the clowns that gives all the credit to Crean for the Al Center.  Look at the Kohl Center and renovations of Camp Randall to give WI some of the best facilities and revenue streams in D1.  I doubt much of this would be possible w/o Alvarez's success.  Their athletic budget was deeply in the red before Ritcher and he came on board.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 03:14:24 PM »
I don't know if anyone else noticed it or not, but as Crean was walking over to the student section, like he does after every game, some UWM fans were yelling at him. I didn't hear what they said, but when Crean walked passed the students he was very upset. I like how UWM is talking about how classless MU is, well they showed how classy they are also.

According to their board, someone yelled to Crean as he walked by regarding "pushing the tempo" up by so many points with so little time left. Apparently Crean then let off a line of explitives.

Whatever, ask and ye shal recieve UWM.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 04:03:35 PM »
The shoe scandal was one of the most trivial of many trivial violations the NCAA has investigated.  That store owner offered discounts to all UW students and non students as well.  You make it sound like they were forced to forfeit games, banned from bowls or received the death penalty.  Probation??  They had a handful of players receive 1-3 game suspensions most before conference play.  It was an example of the NCAA over legislating and looking for any violation to slap WI on the wrist.  Are you referring to Brent Moss??  Show me any winning D1 football program with a roster of 80-100 players that hasn't kicked a player off its team.  You are really reaching in your hatred of this incredibly successful coach. 

Perhaps next time before you respond you first should get a few of your facts correct.

The Shoe Box investigation (and other violations that occurred at about the samr time) was so "trivial" that the NCAA deemed it a major infraction and placed the atheltics department on probation for five years, an unusually long period by NCAA standards. The football program lost 10 scholies over two seasons and the basketball program lost two.
Trivial, indeed.

It was, by the way, the third time UW had been found guilty of a major NCAA infraction during Barry's tenure. In fact, if memory serves, no other school in NCAA Division I was found guilty of more major infractions than Wisconsin during Barry's time there.

Now I'm sure Barry is a swell guy and he did wonders with the football program. But he didn't always abide my the most ethical of standards, nor by NCAA rules, in achieving that turnaround.

p.s. And, to the best of my knowledge, the children of Tom Crean have never microwaved anyone's pet.

p.s.s. The irony of that UWM poster's rant is that Crean and Alvarez are pretty tight.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »
We sit behind the away team bench.  The 1st 3 rows to the right of us are usually occupied by the opposing team.  (I assume that MU gives those tickets to the visiting team and people in those seats seem to be somehow affliated with the visiting team. perhaps donors, family, AD, etc)
As we were exiting last night, the UWM contingent sitting in those seats yelled to Coach Crean
"Real Classy, Tom!"
Coach Crean replied, and I quote, "SAVE IT".

No expletives.  That was exactly what he said as we were standing right next to him as he walked by the team bench.

Perhaps he should not have replied, but I can attest to the fact that he said 2 words.  SAVE IT.  Not a single curse word or rant which has been posted on other boards.

Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 04:14:35 PM »

Didn't Alvarez lose to Iowa in his last game???? (Sorry, I don't care enough to look it up). If so it'd make that guy's claim all the more comical.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 04:26:27 PM »

Didn't Alvarez lose to Iowa in his last game???? (Sorry, I don't care enough to look it up). If so it'd make that guy's claim all the more comical.

No.  Iowa was his last game at Camp Randall.  But the team then went to Hawaii and blew them out and Alvarez's last game came against Auburn in the Capital One Bowl.  UW won 24-10 and could have scored a garbage touchdown at the end up 24-10 but didn't.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
We sit behind the away team bench.  The 1st 3 rows to the right of us are usually occupied by the opposing team.  (I assume that MU gives those tickets to the visiting team and people in those seats seem to be somehow affliated with the visiting team. perhaps donors, family, AD, etc)
As we were exiting last night, the UWM contingent sitting in those seats yelled to Coach Crean
"Real Classy, Tom!"

No expletives.  That was exactly what he said as we were standing right next to him as he walked by the team bench.

Perhaps he should not have replied, but I can attest to the fact that he said 2 words.  SAVE IT.  Not a single curse word or rant which has been posted on other boards.

I can second that, I was in the first row of the student section basically right next to the UWM families. I didnt hear what the UWM fan said but Crean def said "Save It" tried to walk away and the fans kept saying stuff to him and he said "Save It" about 3 more times. In no way wear there expletives.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
"Real Classy, Tom!"

I can second that, I was in the first row of the student section basically right next to the UWM families. I didnt hear what the UWM fan said but Crean def said "Save It" tried to walk away and the fans kept saying stuff to him and he said "Save It" about 3 more times. In no way wear there expletives.

Well depending how he said it, maybe it could make Andrew Dice Clay blush.  Dice isn't as edgy as he used to be.  I think Pryor could probably come up with something more shocking than that if he was still with us.  He was the master.
 ::)

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 05:03:36 PM »
This thread is why I LOVE Marquette Basketball.  If you pick a fight with someone and lose, don't start crying like a baby.  In fact...

http://www.break.com/index/short-fight-fat-kid-knockout.html

Can you guess who UWM is?   :)

feedback