'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dominic James’ performance against St. John’s …  (Read 1787 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Dominic James’ performance against St. John’s …
« on: March 08, 2007, 05:59:22 AM »
… was nothing out of the ordinary for him: some pretty good leadership, passing and playmaking -- and a lot of horrible shooting from the outside.

As others here have noted, James is simply a bad outside and free-throw shooter. Sure, he has nailed some along the way, but can anyone recall seeing a guard who receives such acclaim -- including first team all-Big East -- shoot so terribly?

Most telling, one of the announcers said in the final seconds of last night’s game: “James is doing everything he can to stay away from the ball. … He’s running away, to the far side of the court, so the inbound pass doesn’t come his way. He doesn’t want to be at the line right now -- not with the game on the line.”

I know James has skills and often provides the spark that makes Marquette fire, but I still cannot believe he is having a “first team all-Big East” season.

On another topic, I grew to like the gold-and-blue sneakers as the game went on.

ecompt

• All American
Re: Dominic James’ performance against St. John’s …
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:56:47 AM »
He had some great dishes off his drives (especially the one to Lazar at the end of the first half) but his shooting bordered on ridiculous. It has gotten so bad that he should start running downcourt after releasing the ball to prevent the fast break the other way.
One other thing: while I absolutely love the progress Ooze has made, he should be well-rested tonight. I don't think he jumped once last night.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »
I'd like to see DJ dribble drive and pull up for 10 footer's more often. Early in the first half, he beat his man off the dribble and before the post defender stepped in, DJ stopped and hit a nice 10 footer. If his outside shot isn't hitting (and it hasn't been for a while), I'd like to see him create more like this.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 11:22:42 AM »
You must have missed the fact that they were double teaming him most of the second half...tends to make the drive a little more difficult...but, why worry about details.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 12:08:17 PM »
Even if they were double teaming him the entire second half -- which they were not -- since when is firing up 9 three-pointers the proper way to deal with a double team?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 12:17:34 PM »
As was mentioned in another thread, most of those shots weren't terrible. He had the space, they just didn't fall. It will come to him at some point. He needs confidence back, and open threes are a solid attempt to get it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 12:41:40 PM »
Of course he had space. At this point opponents are begging him to shoot.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »
I have no problem with DJ taking open threes within the flow of the offense. I do have a problem with the dribble-three-times-between-your-legs-and-throw-up-a-25footer threes. Last night DJ exhibited smart shot selection, but his shots just weren't falling. We've seen the kid make them (Valpo, @UL) so we know he can. As long as he continues to take only the open looks within the flow of the offense, I don't really have a problem with it. Although 0-9 was a bit excessive...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »
Harrison----James was actually doubled initially  on the drive to the basket I was talking about. It's nice when a player comes and SETS A SCREEN to free him up, but why worry about the details, right?

feedback