[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192923 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Justin
« Reply #1225 on: June 02, 2022, 07:11:50 PM »
His Twitter sayings after a team wins like, “Greg Gard. Silent Assassin”

Guys that feed him info get the love

Or "Shaka Smart, Reincarnation."

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1483997586142990339?s=21&t=FjKaCxUrCdtkiU2TkZtKZA
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1226 on: June 02, 2022, 07:15:15 PM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1227 on: June 02, 2022, 08:11:39 PM »
Yep.  The talk that this team without Justin is better than last is absolute fantasyland.  Lose by far our best two players and 3 of top 4 scorers, and bring in no top 100 recruits and no impact transfers.  Woof.  Long term upside is there, but I don't see next season being a tournament team.

Well, the year before we lost all 5 starters - one to the pros, one to UNC and one to Duke. The other 2 (and one reserve) transferred down a level and were all conference.

And the guy who was our stud last year hadn’t been good enough to start on that awful team. Things looked bad enough that one of our more knowledgeable posters thought we’d struggle to score 50 ppg. But we were pretty good - much better than the previous year’s team that Justin Lewis couldn’t start for. Amazing what a good coach can do. We’ll miss Lewis (and to a lesser extent, Morsell and Kuath). But more than we were supposed to miss Carton, Garcia, Theo, Cain and Koby? We have a coach. That makes a difference. I think we’ll be OK.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1228 on: June 02, 2022, 08:25:17 PM »
Well, the year before we lost all 5 starters - one to the pros, one to UNC and one to Duke. The other 2 (and one reserve) transferred down a level and were all conference.

And the guy who was our stud last year hadn’t been good enough to start on that awful team. Things looked bad enough that one of our more knowledgeable posters thought we’d struggle to score 50 ppg. But we were pretty good - much better than the previous year’s team that Justin Lewis couldn’t start for. Amazing what a good coach can do. We’ll miss Lewis (and to a lesser extent, Morsell and Kuath). But more than we were supposed to miss Carton, Garcia, Theo, Cain and Koby? We have a coach. That makes a difference. I think we’ll be OK.

Yep yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: June 02, 2022, 08:36:47 PM »

For sure!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1230 on: June 02, 2022, 08:50:56 PM »
Lose by far our best two players and 3 of top 4 scorers, and bring in no top 100 recruits and no impact transfers.  Woof.  Long term upside is there, but I don't see next season being a tournament team.

I cannot stress this enough, but losing scorers is pretty much meaningless. I know it seems logical, but it's truly not important.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: June 02, 2022, 08:57:02 PM »
Teams always lose leading scorers.  Shaka is banking on development.    Lots of building blocks.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1232 on: June 02, 2022, 09:05:42 PM »

And the guy who was our stud last year hadn’t been good enough to start on that awful team Things looked bad enough that one of our more knowledgeable posters thought we’d struggle to score 50 ppg. But we were pretty good - much better than the previous year’s team that Justin Lewis couldn’t start for. Amazing what a good coach can do. We’ll miss Lewis (and to a lesser extent, Morsell and Kuath). But more than we were supposed to miss Carton, Garcia, Theo, Cain and Koby? We have a coach. That makes a difference. I think we’ll be OK.
People keep forgetting how good JFL was as a Frosh, he was limited because of his ankle injury, If not for that he would have started earlier.

2020-21 Season Notes (Fr.): Scored 10 points in collegiate debut vs. UAPB (Nov. 25) … Followed that effort up with 10 points and eight rebounds against Eastern Illinois (Nov. 27) … Grabbed 13 rebounds vs. Ok. State (12/1) … Finished with 18 points against No. 4 Wisconsin (Dec. 4), including game-winning tip-in at the buzzer on missed free throw … Named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week (Dec. 7) … Chipped in 11 points and nine rebounds in win at nationally ranked Creighton (Dec. 14) … Scored 8-of-10 points in second half at Georgetown (Jan. 2) and added seven rebounds … Chipped in 11 points, six rebounds and three blocked shots in 22 minutes against Providence (Jan. 12) … Shot 4-of-6 from the floor and finished with 13 points and seven rebounds at St. John’s (Jan. 16) … Chipped in 12 points and eight rebounds in 35 minutes of action at Providence (Jan. 27) … returned to the court at UConn (Feb. 27) after missing majority of previous seven games with ankle injury … Scored 14 points off the bench against the Huskies …  made first start of season at DePaul (March 2).
Goal is National Championship

panda

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: June 02, 2022, 09:11:25 PM »

Pretty misleading - the Duke transfer was one of the last guys off their bench. The unc transfer struggled mightily, dj went pro because he was tired of school and Justin didn’t play as much as he should have because of injury. The 50ppg trope was proven wrong very quickly and became a running joke as the season went on.

We significantly upgraded our coach and brought in several replacements who had proven themselves more than capable on the d1 level.

We’re going into a much different situation next season. Lots of unproven guys on the collegiate level jumping into larger roles. I hope they take large steps and believe in Shaka, but last year was the time to buy low. Any big time predictions - easily getting into the tournament - is made while drinking all of the blue and gold kool aid.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: June 02, 2022, 09:27:38 PM »
Pretty misleading - the Duke transfer was one of the last guys off their bench. The unc transfer struggled mightily, dj went pro because he was tired of school and Justin didn’t play as much as he should have because of injury. The 50ppg trope was proven wrong very quickly and became a running joke as the season went on.

We significantly upgraded our coach and brought in several replacements who had proven themselves more than capable on the d1 level.

We’re going into a much different situation next season. Lots of unproven guys on the collegiate level jumping into larger roles. I hope they take large steps and believe in Shaka, but last year was the time to buy low. Any big time predictions - easily getting into the tournament - is made while drinking all of the blue and gold kool aid.

Theo was one of 7 Duke players that played in the FF and played 14 minutes that game.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: June 02, 2022, 09:36:27 PM »
Theo was one of 7 Duke players that played in the FF and played 14 minutes that game.

He played a role - a very small role, but a role nonetheless. He doesn’t sniff Duke if it wasn’t for Wojo. Good for the young man, but the original statement oversells Theo.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: June 02, 2022, 10:25:21 PM »
Lots of unproven guys on the collegiate level jumping into larger roles.

Kolek went from an A-10 off-the-ball guy to a ball-dominant Big East PG.

Morsell went from a defensive stopper who had never averaged more than 9 ppg to a go-to scorer.

Kuath went from part-time center to starter.

O-Max went from averaging 2.5 points in less than 10 mpg for Clemson to starting for Marquette.

Lewis went from 7.8 ppg guy to main man.

Elliott went from little-used, injury-prone player to key contributor off the bench.

Kam went from 3-star recruit to Big East instant-offense guy.

Oso went from playing 38 minutes his entire freshman year to having to play almost as many minutes as the starting center.

I'd say that going into last season, we had "lots of unproven guys on the collegiate level jumping into larger roles."

Shaka did a great job with them, and the players deserve a lot of credit for improving significantly and adjusting to their expanded and/or different roles. I sure hope we get a repeat of that ... but better!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: June 02, 2022, 10:26:16 PM »
I do not believe Rothstein brazenly lied to a national audience.

Please offer proof that he did. Thanks.

I don't think he lied, but I would highly doubt he was the primary receiver.  I would wager he heard it 2nd or 3rd hand.  I don't think Shaka or Justin was the one telling him.

He's such a doofus.  And unlike Fanta, he's not a likable goofy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: June 02, 2022, 10:33:36 PM »
I don't think he lied, but I would highly doubt he was the primary receiver.  I would wager he heard it 2nd or 3rd hand.  I don't think Shaka or Justin was the one telling him.

He's such a doofus.  And unlike Fanta, he's not a likable goofy.

Either Lewis spoke/texted to him, or Rothstein was lying. Those are the only two choices.

I know you're only presenting what you said above as an opinion, which is good. Because there's no proof he was lying.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: June 03, 2022, 05:49:44 AM »
He played a role - a very small role, but a role nonetheless. He doesn’t sniff Duke if it wasn’t for Wojo. Good for the young man, but the original statement oversells Theo.

He wasn't one of the last guys off of the bench either.  It's not like he was Coach K's grandson.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: June 03, 2022, 06:12:37 AM »
Kolek went from an A-10 off-the-ball guy to a ball-dominant Big East PG.

Morsell went from a defensive stopper who had never averaged more than 9 ppg to a go-to scorer.

Kuath went from part-time center to starter.

O-Max went from averaging 2.5 points in less than 10 mpg for Clemson to starting for Marquette.

Lewis went from 7.8 ppg guy to main man.

Elliott went from little-used, injury-prone player to key contributor off the bench.

Kam went from 3-star recruit to Big East instant-offense guy.

Oso went from playing 38 minutes his entire freshman year to having to play almost as many minutes as the starting center.

I'd say that going into last season, we had "lots of unproven guys on the collegiate level jumping into larger roles."

Shaka did a great job with them, and the players deserve a lot of credit for improving significantly and adjusting to their expanded and/or different roles. I sure hope we get a repeat of that ... but better!

Freshman of the year in the A10.

Defensive player of the year in the big 10 and someone who deferred to several NBA talents while at Maryland on the offensive end.

Kur didn’t quite fit in Lon Kruegers offensive system and didn’t starter minutes while at OU. When he did play more his last year, he did really well. He was more than capable on the defensive end at the high d1 level.

Those three guys all showed themselves as capable talents in larger roles over time at the division 1 level. Couple that with Justin and it created a more than capable core to compete in the BE. I said it early and often last year. 

This year, we’re relying on guys to take big steps from reserve roles into starting spots. That’s much different than transfers coming in from established roles at their old programs and adjusting to a change in scenery. Much more of an unknown IMO.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1241 on: June 03, 2022, 06:14:08 AM »
He wasn't one of the last guys off of the bench either.  It's not like he was Coach K's grandson.

Theo and Joey Baker were the last guys off the bench. K’s grandson was the last guy on the bench. Huge difference !

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1242 on: June 03, 2022, 07:10:40 AM »
Freshman of the year in the A10.

Defensive player of the year in the big 10 and someone who deferred to several NBA talents while at Maryland on the offensive end.

Kur didn’t quite fit in Lon Kruegers offensive system and didn’t starter minutes while at OU. When he did play more his last year, he did really well. He was more than capable on the defensive end at the high d1 level.

Those three guys all showed themselves as capable talents in larger roles over time at the division 1 level. Couple that with Justin and it created a more than capable core to compete in the BE. I said it early and often last year. 

This year, we’re relying on guys to take big steps from reserve roles into starting spots. That’s much different than transfers coming in from established roles at their old programs and adjusting to a change in scenery. Much more of an unknown IMO.

Yes, and this year we have a bunch of guys who stayed with the program who we have all seen with our own two eyes play a full season of college basketball, even if some of those played sparingly.

Just weird to say this season is more unknown when last year we had 3 guys who had ever even played in a MU uniform.

You reference TK as being known even last year, well hes still here.

Then you had guys like Omax, Oso, Kam, Stevie, Jop. Those are guys that we all know flat out can play at this level. How much they will grow, that is the unknown.

Last year not a single one of those guys did we have any inkling if they even belonged at Green Bay.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

panda

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: June 03, 2022, 08:15:05 AM »
Yes, and this year we have a bunch of guys who stayed with the program who we have all seen with our own two eyes play a full season of college basketball, even if some of those played sparingly.

Just weird to say this season is more unknown when last year we had 3 guys who had ever even played in a MU uniform.

Then you had guys like Omax, Oso, Kam, Stevie, Jop. Those are guys that we all know flat out can play at this level. How much they will grow, that is the unknown.

Last year not a single one of those guys did we have any inkling if they even belonged at Green Bay.

I see the same talent. I do think Kam will struggle bit adjusting to his minute and shot volume load. Same goes for Stevie. Joplin is going to be an absolute menace offensively but I still have some real concerns about him on the defensive end.

Tyler’s best basketball will be played off the ball which means Stevie or Jones will need to be ready. Both I believe are quite capable, but it may not be this season. The less Tyler plays on the ball, the better he’ll be, but I don’t think we’ll see a significant improvement if he stays at Pg.

I do believe Omax is ready for a lead role.

Same can be said about most of our team imo. We’re going to see some awesome flashes, but there will be more struggles. If we maintain our core, two seasons from now will be prime time. Next year will be growing pains.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: June 03, 2022, 08:43:45 AM »
I see a lot of developing talent and a lot of versatility.   I see endless line up combinations.   I see a team able to sustain pressure, not just for 40 minutes, but for 35 games.   

I don't see a mauler down low.

I have my normal low expectations for the frosh.   You always want them to be Big East ready.   But if you build all of your hopes on that, you are disappointed more times than not.

I will probably stay in the cult of no expectations just to be obstinate and annoying, but I am more optimistic than I was a year ago.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: June 03, 2022, 08:51:44 AM »

panda often makes good points in his posts, but he is one Scooper who stakes out his ground and pretty much never backs down even when facts show he might not have been 100% right on a particular point.

Kolek is a great example. Last year, he was asked to make a major step-up in competition and change his position to the most important one on the floor. Nobody here had any idea if he could do it; we just had to trust Shaka's judgment. Now, we know exactly what he is capable of on the floor, though we're all hoping he improves a lot. How one can look at those simple facts and say he's more of an unknown going into next season is just goofy.

Morsell and Lewis were asked to become major offensive players after having never been that on the D1 level.

And your points about O-Max, Oso, etc, are of course spot on.

I wish we had more top-tier players, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what this team can become.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: June 03, 2022, 09:14:51 AM »
Omax, Kolek and Kur did not get a lot of love on scoop going into last season and all three played big roles. I will take my chances on seeing our returning guys making big strides going into next season. We know who we have coming back, and I think you can make a case for any of them becoming legit starter for P6 program in the next two seasons. There is not one returning guy that I do not think has high to very upside in their games.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: June 03, 2022, 09:20:41 AM »
Tyler’s best basketball will be played off the ball which means Stevie or Jones will need to be ready. Both I believe are quite capable, but it may not be this season. The less Tyler plays on the ball, the better he’ll be, but I don’t think we’ll see a significant improvement if he stays at Pg.

I just do not understand this.
The ONE thing TK did really well last year was distribute. And you want to take him out of that role, and put him in a role in which he's - at best - unproven? WHY?????

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: June 03, 2022, 09:32:46 AM »
Kolek shot well from 3 off of catch and shoot.  Both as a freshman and as a sophomore.   He shot 3's very poorly off of the dribble.   The theory behind playing Kolek off the ball is that he can catch it in a spot that he hits from.  If he is open, he shoots.  If the defense closes, then TK drives and creates like he did earlier in the season.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 09:41:52 AM by tower912 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1249 on: June 03, 2022, 09:37:46 AM »
Right.  I think Shaka wants more than one distributor on the floor. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback