'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192954 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #1125 on: May 31, 2022, 05:02:06 PM »
I assumed you missed the teal on this one?

This all assumes that it's only about money. Not a single person here has any idea what Justin is thinking about right now.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1126 on: May 31, 2022, 05:17:48 PM »
I hope Justin continues his education at Marquette. He's not a great player, yet. He has a chance to go from a good player to a great player in two years.
He can continue his MU education whenever he wants that is the MU way.
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1127 on: May 31, 2022, 05:18:49 PM »
I hope Justin continues his education at Marquette. He's not a great player, yet. He has a chance to go from a good player to a great player in two years.

He was All Big East first team last season. That doesn't qualify as great?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1128 on: May 31, 2022, 05:47:13 PM »
I assumed you missed the teal on this one?

Was it all about money when Terquavion Smith decided to stay in school?

The NC State player rated the 22nd best player (ESPN, I think) just announced he’s returning to school. We’ll soon find out if our pockets are as deep as theirs.

There is no way NC State found "sponsors" to come up with the $2M+ Smith would have gotten in 2022-23 as the #22 pick, not to mention the $10M+ he would have gotten over the lifetime of his first contract.

Here's what Smith said:

"I have to be honest and admit money has never been at the center of my thoughts. My agent explained to me that teams as high as the late teens, through the rest of the first round, all have me ranked as a first-round talent. It's exciting to hear that. But I told him I have more work to do. I like school and my college in particular. Remember, my last two years have been so strange, thanks to the pandemic. I just want one more season to get everything right and just be a college student."

Folks can choose to believe he's lying if they'd like.

Now, is the fact that Smith is probably gonna get some very nice NIL $$$ a factor in his decision to stay? Almost certainly, which to me accentuates the positives of the new NIL rules. But if it were all about the money for him, Smith would be saying farewell to NCSt.

Similar for Justin. We don't know what kind of NIL deals he might be able to get if he stays. We don't know where he'll be drafted and what NBA teams have told him. And we won't know what Lewis feels about all of it until he tells us.

Although, PointWarrior apparently is inside JL's head and knows exactly what the kid feels.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1129 on: May 31, 2022, 05:59:11 PM »
Article on 20 key players that are making draft decisions. Justin was listed as one of them.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nba-draft-early-entry-deadline-trevor-keels-leonard-miller-justin-lewis-dalen-terry
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1130 on: May 31, 2022, 06:14:00 PM »

Or he could do that in the G League.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #1131 on: May 31, 2022, 06:33:37 PM »
Was there ever an explanation for Justin declaring he would return to MU in that Instagram video?

I’m wondering if he was being spotaneously honest but then heard from Shaka/coaches/advisors that it was in his best interest to stay mum on the subject to maintain leverage for the best possible NIL deal.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: May 31, 2022, 06:35:31 PM »
Was there ever an explanation for Justin declaring he would return to MU in that Instagram video?

I’m wondering if he was being spotaneously honest but then heard from Shaka/coaches/advisors that it was in his best interest to stay mum on the subject to maintain leverage for the best possible NIL deal.

The explanation in the words of Justin "Don't always believe what you hear."

If he says he's going pro, I won't believe it.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1133 on: May 31, 2022, 06:39:02 PM »

I think sometimes college kids feel pressure to say what people want to hear when they are put on the spot
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: May 31, 2022, 06:45:54 PM »
I think sometimes college kids feel pressure to say what people want to hear when they are put on the spot
That’s fair, though the tone of his response seemed pretty definitive. Perhaps he was just leaning toward returning to school that day and made too confident an assertion. But I’m still thinking there’s a decent shot he announces his return tomorrow.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1135 on: May 31, 2022, 07:26:23 PM »
Here is my analysis. There are approximately  72 jobs available. 58 Draft picks and approximately 14 two way contracts ( per analysis provided by BrewCity77). I believe Justin is in the top 72 players in the draft. So Justin can get something better than a Section 10 /g league contract if he stays in the draft.

MU will need to  come up with an equivalent to  a two way contract , which was 462,500 last year, to essentially have a shot at recruiting Justin to stay.  MU is essentially in Rod Tidwell/Jerry McGuire mode.

HC-don't you think he could get at least $460k NIL staying at MU plus continue with a free education, room and board, etc?  all the while improving his play and hopefully move up in the draft
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: May 31, 2022, 08:02:14 PM »
HC-don't you think he could get at least $460k NIL staying at MU plus continue with a free education, room and board, etc?  all the while improving his play and hopefully move up in the draft

The "am I in or am I out" doesn't help college players in terms of NIL, IMO. Maybe at some factories like UNC or Kentucky or Bama or Miami, but not at Marquette long term. If I am a Milwaukee area business am I going to offer six figures for six months to a MU student athlete? I'd prefer to pay that to a pro player in town, even a marginal one, who will have the potential for a multi-year payout.

Maybe for an undergrad Wade or Howard, not for many others.

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: May 31, 2022, 08:21:52 PM »
Will we necessarily hear anything if he stays in the draft?  He’s in unless he’s out right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #1138 on: May 31, 2022, 08:38:45 PM »
Will we necessarily hear anything if he stays in the draft?  He’s in unless he’s out right?
Customary to clear the air, a la “announcing” you’re staying when there’s speculation of portaling.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #1139 on: May 31, 2022, 08:41:36 PM »
Customary to clear the air, a la “announcing” you’re staying when there’s speculation of portaling.

There is no speculation of portaling

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1140 on: May 31, 2022, 08:42:42 PM »

If he doesn't, and doesn't announce, I'm sure we'll know by Thursday morning. Rothstein or Goodman will call the league office to confirm who's in and out.

Edit: Oh, who am I kidding...Rothstein will call them at midnight and post it at 12:01 am.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:54:40 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1141 on: May 31, 2022, 09:03:05 PM »
Is Justin worth 500 grand to Marquette? I guess that's up to the people throwing in the money. I for one hopes someone coughs up the cash and he stays. If he gets drafted in the first 2 rounds he's got to go. If he doesn't and he plays in the G-League or plays overseas what will the compensation be and what will he sacrifice by not staying at MU for another year? Getting drafted next year in the 1st round should be a goal for him. And it's within reach. He has to ask himself if he believes Smart and his staff can develop him enough to delay or postpone his move into professional bb.  Can another year turn him into Kawhi Leonard. He will be encouraged to score 35 points per game next year. And he will deliver that. If he waits he could come out like Dwade and get drafted in the first round and he's not treated like a project. He will be a rising star. Got to do what's right for you and your family. I get it. Every one I talk to thinks he's leaving but I don't. I think otherwise. It's what I want to believe. Just saying. Drip drip drip.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: May 31, 2022, 09:06:00 PM »
I'll be stunned if he returns.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: May 31, 2022, 10:16:42 PM »
Is Justin worth 500 grand to Marquette? I guess that's up to the people throwing in the money. I for one hopes someone coughs up the cash and he stays. If he gets drafted in the first 2 rounds he's got to go. If he doesn't and he plays in the G-League or plays overseas what will the compensation be and what will he sacrifice by not staying at MU for another year? Getting drafted next year in the 1st round should be a goal for him. And it's within reach. He has to ask himself if he believes Smart and his staff can develop him enough to delay or postpone his move into professional bb.  Can another year turn him into Kawhi Leonard. He will be encouraged to score 35 points per game next year. And he will deliver that. If he waits he could come out like Dwade and get drafted in the first round and he's not treated like a project. He will be a rising star. Got to do what's right for you and your family. I get it. Every one I talk to thinks he's leaving but I don't. I think otherwise. It's what I want to believe. Just saying. Drip drip drip.
let’s say you are a business owner in Milwaukee with some cash to burn. You paying a college player to ball for which he is already getting a $200k education? (asking for a Badger fan) 

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #1144 on: May 31, 2022, 10:17:42 PM »
If he gets drafted in the first 2 rounds he's got to go.

There are only 2 rounds.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1145 on: May 31, 2022, 11:34:41 PM »

Should this whole post be teal?

He has to decide by tomorrow. He can't see where he gets picked and then decide.

35 points per game next year? No one has done that since the early 1990s. Assuming 33 games played, he would post the highest single season scoring total since Maravich.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: June 01, 2022, 05:48:30 AM »
There is no speculation of portaling
True. Merely providing another example of a speculative move paving the way for an announcement one way or another.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: June 01, 2022, 07:43:33 AM »

He has to decide by tomorrow. He can't see where he gets picked and then decide.

Which is quite dumb in my opinion. The ncaa allows baseball and hockey players to not only enter the draft, but get selected and then are still able to come back.

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: June 01, 2022, 07:56:11 AM »
Which is quite dumb in my opinion. The ncaa allows baseball and hockey players to not only enter the draft, but get selected and then are still able to come back.

Agreed.  I think the rule should be that players have to decide by August 1 if they retain eligibility.  This date is also after the NBA summer league.  That way the drafting team can work with player, their agent and their college coach to determine if they want them to stay in school for the next year or not. 

I get that the coaches want more certainty over who is on their roster, but then I would allow a coach to "oversign" one additional player if they have an underclassman in the draft.  So in this case, Marquette could take in a transfer like Ramey, but still have a place for Justin should he wish to return.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: June 01, 2022, 08:06:44 AM »
Agreed.  I think the rule should be that players have to decide by August 1 if they retain eligibility.  This date is also after the NBA summer league.  That way the drafting team can work with player, their agent and their college coach to determine if they want them to stay in school for the next year or not. 

I get that the coaches want more certainty over who is on their roster, but then I would allow a coach to "oversign" one additional player if they have an underclassman in the draft.  So in this case, Marquette could take in a transfer like Ramey, but still have a place for Justin should he wish to return.
How about if a team has 3 underclassmen in the draft? 8? I am sure some coach will try to push the limit.

feedback