'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192939 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #900 on: April 30, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
The early Al years there were still a lot of southern teams that would not recruit blacks. When we played Kentucky in NCAA tournament, Sophomore Chones was playing against Kentucky's first black player. I forget his name, but he was a sophomore 7'1' center. after the season he got convicted of rape and sent to prison. It would not of surprised me at all, if he was set up and falsely convicted of rape.

Tom Payne

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #901 on: April 30, 2022, 10:11:33 PM »
Honest question as I wasn't around then....it helped that racism was more prevalent in cbb and Al benefited from recruiting players other schools wouldn't?

Most schools were recruiting black players when Al started at MU, everyone was recruiting them half way through his tenure. But Al established real relationships with his players and they helped recruit the players who followed. There was racism everywhere but he made Marquette a more desirable environment than most other universities.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #902 on: April 30, 2022, 10:14:13 PM »
Al was the quintessential “player’s coach” before that term was even a thing. He would be brilliant in this era.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #903 on: April 30, 2022, 10:16:46 PM »
The early Al years there were still a lot of southern teams that would not recruit blacks. When we played Kentucky in NCAA tournament, Sophomore Chones was playing against Kentucky's first black player. I forget his name, but he was a sophomore 7'1' center. after the season he got convicted of rape and sent to prison. It would not of surprised me at all, if he was set up and falsely convicted of rape.

I always wondered why Chones went pro right before the tournament. Why would a contract be worth more before the tournament than after? It seems like it was some kind of take it or leave it deal. I'm sure there were players at UCLA that were just as sought after. I don't blame Chones as I would have taken the money as well it is just the timing of it all as I think it cost us a NC as we were that good that year.

I'm sure there are folks here who know more about it than I can recall.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #904 on: April 30, 2022, 10:21:02 PM »
Yes and yes on the last two questions.  Universal free agency would be awesome

If no unions/collective bargaining agreements were the other half of that equation it would be an interesting experiment. Maybe it would be awesome. But it’ll never happen. It would scare the sh!t out of both management and labor. Both sides have it too good to try it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #905 on: April 30, 2022, 10:34:53 PM »
How much is Notre Dame going to pay the editor of the MU Tribune to transfer? How much is MU paying him or her now? Rules are different for professional football and basketball players than they are for people who write about them. College football and basketball players are now professionals. Do you think professional sports should do away with drafts and let college players pick their teams? And after they pick one, should they be free agents again in year two?

Not sure what point you're trying to make in most of this, Tony, but it certainly doesn't refute what I said in my earlier post.

As for pro sports drafts ... I believe their structures, or at least some of their terms, are the result of collective bargaining between their leagues and players associations, so the athletes have a say.

But ideally, yes, athletes should have the freedom to determine their own destiny, just as you and I were allowed to choose our own paths within our chosen careers. And we were free to change jobs as often as we wanted, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #906 on: April 30, 2022, 11:40:18 PM »
I always wondered why Chones went pro right before the tournament. Why would a contract be worth more before the tournament than after? It seems like it was some kind of take it or leave it deal. I'm sure there were players at UCLA that were just as sought after. I don't blame Chones as I would have taken the money as well it is just the timing of it all as I think it cost us a NC as we were that good that year.

I'm sure there are folks here who know more about it than I can recall.
ABA could offer before NBA draft and they wanted to make a big statement and offered what was an insane amount of money back then.
Goal is National Championship

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #907 on: May 01, 2022, 05:57:15 AM »
And we were free to change jobs as often as we wanted, too.
You never had a non compete agreement?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #908 on: May 01, 2022, 08:34:16 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted here. If so, my apologies. "Consensus" draft list. States RocNation is his agency.

https://www.rookiescale.com/2022-consensus-board/

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #909 on: May 01, 2022, 08:39:31 AM »
If no unions/collective bargaining agreements were the other half of that equation it would be an interesting experiment. Maybe it would be awesome. But it’ll never happen. It would scare the sh!t out of both management and labor. Both sides have it too good to try it.

Agreed.  I think it would probably benefit ownership more long run as they’d be able to avoid disastrous contracts and the overall money would be less for labor
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #910 on: May 01, 2022, 08:48:50 AM »
But making SAs employees exposes them to all sorts of additional costs and liability.  Under the current system, the only real potential "cost" to the school is the possibility of revenue that used to come to them but is now going into NIL.  But no one really knows if that is happening yet.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #911 on: May 01, 2022, 08:58:12 AM »
ABA could offer before NBA draft and they wanted to make a big statement and offered what was an insane amount of money back then.
Sure, but a bigger factor was that the owner of the Nets convinced Al that the NBA-ABA merger was imminent and that Chones would be losing out on a lot of money.  Of course, the merger did not happen until a year or two later. 

• All American
« Reply #912 on: May 01, 2022, 09:10:21 AM »
To be fair, the merger would have happened earlier had the NBA Players Association not filed a lawsuit to prevent it.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #913 on: May 01, 2022, 10:34:00 AM »
Yes, MU probably would have won the championship that year. An unbelievable team. Chones was a truly dominant player - and a hell of a nice guy. Chones went to Al to seek his advice and Al told him to grab the money, knowing that he was giving away a national championship. Al did it because it was in Jim Chones' best interest. No player deserved it more. Jim was friendly, polite, well-spoken, and just a great example of what a student athlete should be. And, even though he was an All-American, he was always willing, if he was around, to play some pick-up ball at the old gym with us mere mortals.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #914 on: May 01, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »
If Justin doesn't transfer somewhere else what's the date where he has to decide to stay in the draft or come back to MU?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #915 on: May 01, 2022, 11:50:16 AM »
If Justin doesn't transfer somewhere else what's the date where he has to decide to stay in the draft or come back to MU?

I believe that's 11:59 PM today.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #916 on: May 01, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »

Oh...I thought today was just him deciding not to transfer. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #917 on: May 01, 2022, 11:53:58 AM »

1159 today is the deadline to answer the transfer portal and still be eligible for next season (though waivers are still possible after this date)

5pm EST June 13th is the deadline to withdraw from nba draft and retain ncaa eligibility
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #918 on: May 01, 2022, 11:55:11 AM »

No it’s June 1. May 1 is the deadline to enter the portal and have immediate eligibility next year. So by the end of today we will know if he comes back to MU should he withdraw from the draft.

1159 today is the deadline to answer the transfer portal and still be eligible for next season (though waivers are still possible after this date)

5pm EST June 13th is the deadline to withdraw from nba draft and retain ncaa eligibility

June 13 is the NBA’s deadline. June 1 is the NCAA’s.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 11:57:10 AM by Clarissa »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #919 on: May 01, 2022, 11:58:07 AM »
No it’s June 1. May 1 is the deadline to enter the portal and have immediate eligibility next year. So by the end of today we will know if he comes back to MU should he withdraw from the draft.

June 13 is the NBA’s deadline. June 1 is the NCAA’s.

You are right,  looked too quickly at google
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #920 on: May 01, 2022, 12:05:21 PM »
It seems to me there is no advantage to staying in the draft if you are not a guaranteed 1st rounder.  I'm biased but with the NIL he should be able to rack up some ad coin in Milwaukee.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #921 on: May 01, 2022, 12:35:06 PM »

Speaking of waivers, could a legitimate waiver request be financial? Such as a different school has better NIL opportunities?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #922 on: May 01, 2022, 01:02:11 PM »
It seems to me there is no advantage to staying in the draft if you are not a guaranteed 1st rounder.  I'm biased but with the NIL he should be able to rack up some ad coin in Milwaukee.

Of course there are advantages. It's all a matter of personal preference. But NIL will make it easier for some of these guys to stay another year.

Speaking of waivers, could a legitimate waiver request be financial? Such as a different school has better NIL opportunities?

Seems unlikely
TAMU

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #923 on: May 01, 2022, 01:25:48 PM »
Oh...I thought today was just him deciding not to transfer.

I read your question as basically being "what is his last day to transfer to another school?", but I'm glad that the June 1 deadline was mentioned as the last day he can withdraw from the draft and play college ball at Marquette this coming season.

I'm not expecting him to come back but who knows? There's time for a big NIL deal to surface, even if there are no rumors of one pending that I am aware of.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #924 on: May 01, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »

Advantages to staying in the draft even if you’re not a guaranteed first-rounder:

++ Many 2nd-round picks do make their NBA team, and if you do you get a nice start at that big second contract.

++ Some athletes would rather not have to deal with the responsibility of college classes and assignments.

++ Getting coached by and playing against pros, whether at the NBA or G League level.

There are plenty of advantages to staying in school, too. I’m glad Justin has an opportunity to make this decision for himself.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson