[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192909 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #800 on: April 27, 2022, 06:06:13 AM »
Can a coach/school who has a player with a large NIL and the player is willing to pay his own way declare him a walk on that would not impact the cap on scholarships? Is there a limit to the number of walk ons a team can have?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 06:09:06 AM by muwarrior69 »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #801 on: April 27, 2022, 08:01:15 AM »
Can a coach/school who has a player with a large NIL and the player is willing to pay his own way declare him a walk on that would not impact the cap on scholarships? Is there a limit to the number of walk ons a team can have?
No limits on walk ons, on the NIL I would imagine there is a restriction on that.
Goal is National Championship

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #802 on: April 27, 2022, 08:03:19 AM »
No limits on walk ons, on the NIL I would imagine there is a restriction on that.

There is not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #803 on: April 27, 2022, 08:19:26 AM »
There is not.

Interesting way to get around the scholarship limit.

• All American
« Reply #804 on: April 27, 2022, 08:22:57 AM »
I doubt you will see it happen very often.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #805 on: April 27, 2022, 08:33:12 AM »
It's just another strawman argument, unless the schools with the biggest NIL deals also find a way to play more than 5-on-5.  Think about it, if you've got 13 scholarships, plus 1 or 2 pay their own way through NIL players, how is any coach going to keep 15 players happy with game time? 

The question hasn't been posed here yet, but since it's the offseason it's only a matter of time.  Even if Jlew leaves, and no one else comes, we're at 12, with no real obvious red shirt candidate.  Gold maybe, just because he's more of an unknown, but I'd have to imagine their are minutes for him if he's a true 7 footer.  Jones are Ross have both been billed as players that can contribute from day one.  I can't really see anyone else being a candidate.  How would we balance the 12 players minutes? 

I know that's a good problem to have, it's on Shaka to manage, and if someone gets left behind they'd be a transfer candidate, but now imagine that situation with 3 more players.  Unless someone's NIL deal is so much that they don't mind not getting any PT, I don't think this situation will ever happen.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #806 on: April 27, 2022, 08:46:42 AM »
It's just another strawman argument, unless the schools with the biggest NIL deals also find a way to play more than 5-on-5.  Think about it, if you've got 13 scholarships, plus 1 or 2 pay their own way through NIL players, how is any coach going to keep 15 players happy with game time? 

The question hasn't been posed here yet, but since it's the offseason it's only a matter of time.  Even if Jlew leaves, and no one else comes, we're at 12, with no real obvious red shirt candidate.  Gold maybe, just because he's more of an unknown, but I'd have to imagine their are minutes for him if he's a true 7 footer.  Jones are Ross have both been billed as players that can contribute from day one.  I can't really see anyone else being a candidate.  How would we balance the 12 players minutes? 

I know that's a good problem to have, it's on Shaka to manage, and if someone gets left behind they'd be a transfer candidate, but now imagine that situation with 3 more players.  Unless someone's NIL deal is so much that they don't mind not getting any PT, I don't think this situation will ever happen.

Really? Were there not some here saying NIL ($ amounts) would not affect team cohesion, but now you say playing time will? 

• All American
« Reply #807 on: April 27, 2022, 08:52:07 AM »
Really? Were there not some here saying NIL ($ amounts) would not affect team cohesion, but now you say playing time will? 

Well...yeah.  A perceived unfairness in the lack of playing time has torn apart teams both professionally and in college before.  (Not to mention in high school, youth teams, etc.)  Hell, half of my Marquette intramurals team quit in a huff over playing time. 

But I have yet to see teams break apart due to differences in income.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #808 on: April 27, 2022, 08:55:58 AM »
I'll put it this way, until there is an actual example of a player paying his own way through their NIL money, I will continue to believe that it's a strawman argument.  The deals last year were big enough that it could have happened, and they appear to be even bigger this year, and there are still no reports of it being considered an option.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #809 on: April 27, 2022, 09:13:45 AM »
Here is new Warrior Eagle Zaide Lowery talking about relationships (from the Marquette Wire):

Smart’s importance on building relationships helped set Marquette apart from the other schools that showed interest in Lowery.

“They were about the only school (that) really made sure like I felt like they really wanted me there and made me feel like it was just a family thing,” Lowery said. “The other schools that I had offers from didn’t really like text me a whole bunch to check up on me.”

Lowery said he created a close relationship with Marquette assistant coach Neill Berry during the recruiting process, as Berry served as the “main guy” amongst Smart’s assistants.

“He really just making sure that I’m good, like not even just about basketball all the time,” Lowery said. “They’re always asking me how I’m doing and normally he (Berry) FaceTimes me sometimes. Him (Berry) keeping up with me is a big part of me and him in this player-coach relationship.”

Since his official visit to Marquette back in November, Lowery said he has stayed in touch with first-year guard Kam Jones and first-year forward David Joplin.

Mitch McHenry, Lowery’s high school coach, said since Marquette first made contact last July they were “very hands on” in getting to know Lowery as a person both on and off the court.

“With their caliber of recruiting and how thorough they’ve been, they’ve been the best coaching staff that we have experienced in our program that recruited one of our kids,” McHenry said.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #810 on: April 27, 2022, 09:16:23 AM »
I'll put it this way, until there is an actual example of a player paying his own way through their NIL money, I will continue to believe that it's a strawman argument.  The deals last year were big enough that it could have happened, and they appear to be even bigger this year, and there are still no reports of it being considered an option.

...but it is still an option. I wonder if any agents have even consider negotiating it on behalf of a player who really would like to play for that school as an inducement arguing that it would free up a scholarship for the coach.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #811 on: April 27, 2022, 09:21:37 AM »
Interesting times in CBB.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #812 on: April 27, 2022, 09:23:38 AM »
Well...yeah.  A perceived unfairness in the lack of playing time has torn apart teams both professionally and in college before.  (Not to mention in high school, youth teams, etc.)  Hell, half of my Marquette intramurals team quit in a huff over playing time. 

But I have yet to see teams break apart due to differences in income.
quit over PT? ha
Wasn’t your approach shoot to get hot shoot to stay hot no shot a bad shot?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #813 on: April 27, 2022, 09:24:04 AM »
...but it is still an option. I wonder if any agents have even consider negotiating it on behalf of a player who really would like to play for that school as an inducement arguing that it would free up a scholarship for the coach.

This has always been an option.  Do you think that the folks that payed Brian Bowen wouldn't have dropped the extra money for him to pay his own way and not use one of Slick Rick's scholarships?

The closest anyone has ever come to the scenario that you're describing is when daddy McD gave away Douggie's scholarship when he thought he was going pro, only for him to return and be a preferred walk on, scholarship still 100% payed by the University through dads salary.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #814 on: April 27, 2022, 09:29:15 AM »
I doubt you will see it happen very often.

Agreed, the only way I see it happening is for a title contender needing that one last player to put them over the top that wasn’t available when they originally filled out the scholarships.  A late spring/early summer arrangement.  Still cheating but not universal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 10:19:48 AM by Shooter McGavin »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #815 on: April 27, 2022, 09:46:50 AM »
Hell, half of my Marquette intramurals team quit in a huff over playing time. 
Did they write a letter?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #816 on: April 27, 2022, 10:23:53 AM »
If Justin doesn't enter the transfer portal by Sunday, to my understanding he will either be back at Marquette or remain in the draft.

The consensus seems to be anywhere from 40 to undrafted. Currently 283 names in the NBA Draft pool with 58 (I believe) draft picks this year.
VIOLENCE!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #817 on: April 27, 2022, 11:34:54 AM »
To me it is the free transfer rule that makes the NIL bad.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #818 on: April 27, 2022, 11:41:52 AM »

So you don't believe that athletes in basketball, football, hockey and baseball should have the same freedom-of-movement ability that athletes in every other sport have enjoyed for decades?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #819 on: April 27, 2022, 11:51:29 AM »
One just needs to come to grips that college basketball is a professional sport now with paid athletes.
The challenge to Marquette and Shaka & staff is how to put a competitive team on the floor yearly without having a bottomless purse.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #820 on: April 27, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »
Hell, half of my Marquette intramurals team quit in a huff over playing time. 

Did it get you a spot in the starting lineup?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #821 on: April 27, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »
Maybe the next jump in the NIL evolution will be contracts with set playing lengths as in other professional sports.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #822 on: April 27, 2022, 12:10:37 PM »
So you don't believe that athletes in basketball, football, hockey and baseball should have the same freedom-of-movement ability that athletes in every other sport have enjoyed for decades?

Mike,

I think bilsu means that the NIL by itself is OK but adding the free transfer rule to the equation is problematic. The NIL provision officially makes the top athletes in the revenue producing sports (football and basketball) professionals. Professionals who begin their careers as free agents who then have an opt out (another free agency) after one, two or three years with the school/team they originally signed with. That’s a much better deal than they’ll ever have in the rest of their professional careers.

• All American
« Reply #823 on: April 27, 2022, 12:14:42 PM »
Did it get you a spot in the starting lineup?

I was the sixth man.  The offensive spark off the bench.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #824 on: April 27, 2022, 01:03:36 PM »
Maybe the next jump in the NIL evolution will be contracts with set playing lengths as in other professional sports.

You guys know how NIL deals work or just complaining about something you don’t understand?

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback