'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192999 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #725 on: April 25, 2022, 08:39:30 PM »

Nonsense. Keeping talent in college basketball is GREAT for the game. And NIL will do that.

Not really. Guys will still declare.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #726 on: April 25, 2022, 09:15:09 PM »
Not really. Guys will still declare.

Lottery/first round picks, sure, but this will cut down on the rash of fringe second round guys who are going late second round/G league

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #727 on: April 25, 2022, 09:41:54 PM »
Does it really matter if they play for this team or that team?
They just want the money.
Why make them attend classes?
It is just taking time away for improving themselves as professional players.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #728 on: April 25, 2022, 10:10:28 PM »

Nonsense. Keeping talent in college basketball is GREAT for the game. And NIL will do that.
It is not about keeping talent in college basketball. It is about the large alumni schools paying for the top talent.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #729 on: April 25, 2022, 10:13:46 PM »
It is not about keeping talent in college basketball. It is about the large alumni schools paying for the top talent.

Large alumni schools were already paying for the top talent. The only thing that's changed in that regard is they are announcing the deals publicly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #730 on: April 25, 2022, 11:17:07 PM »
I don’t think you get Vipers point.  It’s how you argue not your argument.

Hmmm.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #731 on: April 26, 2022, 01:07:49 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #732 on: April 26, 2022, 01:09:42 AM »
Does it really matter if they play for this team or that team?
They just want the money.
Why make them attend classes?
It is just taking time away for improving themselves as professional players.

And that is why guys will continue to declare - even if they are not 1st rounders.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #733 on: April 26, 2022, 04:12:56 AM »
Large alumni schools were already paying for the top talent. The only thing that's changed in that regard is they are announcing the deals publicly.

And the amount of money.  $800,000 to a couple million plus the new transfer rules significantly changes the landscape. Other than that I agree with you.

I’m not sure many of us would be diehard fans if our final fours and NC went to bigger schools had these same rules applied over the last 50 years. 

Again,  let’s see if our community steps up.  Hopefully the fears that we will be second class citizens will be unfounded.  I’d at least like to keep our best players.  The initial loss of talent to the blue bloods was always there.  No doubt.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #734 on: April 26, 2022, 04:47:35 AM »

Agreed. It's up to the fans of these teams to put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. Kids used to pick schools for a variety of reasons (the coach, facilities, playing time, playing style, weather, bag men, etc). Has NIL jumped to the top of list? I do think NIL combined with the free transfer has put the fear in a lot of people. We'll see what happens.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #735 on: April 26, 2022, 07:08:47 AM »
Will be interesting to see the fan enthusiasm over the years.
To myself pro sports are boring.
Will college basketball become the same?
Time will tell.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #736 on: April 26, 2022, 07:25:53 AM »
Why are pro sports boring?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #737 on: April 26, 2022, 07:35:42 AM »
Why are pro sports boring?

Yeah, pro sports are significantly better and more entertaining than college sports.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #738 on: April 26, 2022, 07:45:07 AM »
Yeah, pro sports are significantly better and more entertaining than college sports.

Pro sports lack enthusiasm, fundamentals and guys do it the right way
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #739 on: April 26, 2022, 08:09:39 AM »

It's only GREAT for the game if competitive balance is maintained, and that's not what is happening.

Professional leagues understand this, and that's why we have salary caps, luxury taxes, and drafts that let the worst performers pick first. The pro leagues understand that it's not as entertaining for fans if only a handful of teams can afford to buy their way to championships. 

• All American
« Reply #740 on: April 26, 2022, 08:16:17 AM »
It's only GREAT for the game if competitive balance is maintained, and that's not what is happening.

Competitive balance has never been a feature of college sports, so I don't know how you can make that statement since I have no idea how you would judge what the "before" and "after" look like.

Professional leagues understand this, and that's why we have salary caps, luxury taxes, and drafts that let the worst performers pick first. The pro leagues understand that it's not as entertaining for fans if only a handful of teams can afford to buy their way to championships. 

I think it's cute that you think salary caps, luxury tax, etc. are about "competitive balance."  They're about cost containment. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #741 on: April 26, 2022, 08:20:36 AM »
How much competitive balance exists in college football?   Alabama, Clemson, other hot SEC team, TBD.   There is your final 4 next year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #742 on: April 26, 2022, 08:43:40 AM »
How much competitive balance exists in college football?   Alabama, Clemson, other hot SEC team, TBD.   There is your final 4 next year.

21/32 (65.6%) of the CFP spots have been taken by one of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. It raises to 25/32 (78.1%) if you add in Georgia and Notre Dame. Of the 7 teams to make the CFP that aren't one of those 6 teams, 5 have lost in the first game of the CFP. 1 lost in the Finals (Oregon in the very first year of the CFP) and 1 won it (LSU in 2019). There is no competitive balance in college football.

College basketball will not have the same problem because the NCAAT is the great equalizer. Teams can still have great and memorable playoff runs without winning the national championship. Also, while the top teams will continue to have the most representation in the later of the rounds of the tournament, it is not a guarantee because in a 6 round single elimination tournament, anything can happen. On any given night, St. Peter's can knock off Kentucky, even though Kentucky is loaded with players making hundreds of thousands in NIL and St. Peter's is lucky if their players' NIL money could pool together to buy them something off the dollar menu.

And as others have said, College basketball has been dealing with this already for years. Except now everyone can play instead of the few programs that were willing to risk NCAA violations.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #743 on: April 26, 2022, 08:44:16 AM »
Will be interesting to see the fan enthusiasm over the years.
To myself pro sports are boring.
Will college basketball become the same?
Time will tell.

Is the players making money what makes pro sports boring to you?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #744 on: April 26, 2022, 08:55:50 AM »
21/32 (65.6%) of the CFP spots have been taken by one of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. It raises to 25/32 (78.1%) if you add in Georgia and Notre Dame. Of the 7 teams to make the CFP that aren't one of those 6 teams, 5 have lost in the first game of the CFP. 1 lost in the Finals (Oregon in the very first year of the CFP) and 1 won it (LSU in 2019). There is no competitive balance in college football.

College basketball will not have the same problem because the NCAAT is the great equalizer. Teams can still have great and memorable playoff runs without winning the national championship. Also, while the top teams will continue to have the most representation in the later of the rounds of the tournament, it is not a guarantee because in a 6 round single elimination tournament, anything can happen. On any given night, St. Peter's can knock off Kentucky, even though Kentucky is loaded with players making hundreds of thousands in NIL and St. Peter's is lucky if their players' NIL money could pool together to buy them something off the dollar menu.

And as others have said, College basketball has been dealing with this already for years. Except now everyone can play instead of the few programs that were willing to risk NCAA violations.

Yep.

Like you, I choose to be an optimist: NIL will not destroy college basketball; and Marquette will end up doing A-OK, at least as well as we have in the first 45 post-Al years.

If others want to get all doom-and-gloomy about it, that's their right, even if they have no basis for their doom and gloom because there are far too many unanswered questions now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #745 on: April 26, 2022, 09:38:53 AM »
Is the players making money what makes pro sports boring to you?
No, it is the going through the motions.  They can get paid all they want.   I am not paying their salary.  If someone wants to pay them and people want to pay tickets, what do I care?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #746 on: April 26, 2022, 09:41:12 AM »
Yep.

Like you, I choose to be an optimist: NIL will not destroy college basketball; and Marquette will end up doing A-OK, at least as well as we have in the first 45 post-Al years.

If others want to get all doom-and-gloomy about it, that's their right, even if they have no basis for their doom and gloom because there are far too many unanswered questions now.

Bullchit! Make Marquette Great Again, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #747 on: April 26, 2022, 09:47:14 AM »
No, it is the going through the motions. 

Yeah I don't see that at all when I watch professional sports when compared to college sports.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #748 on: April 26, 2022, 10:06:26 AM »
No, it is the going through the motions.  They can get paid all they want.   I am not paying their salary.  If someone wants to pay them and people want to pay tickets, what do I care?

This argument holds zero weight and is an insult to professional athletes
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #749 on: April 26, 2022, 10:10:33 AM »
It's funny seeing Scoop call their First Team All Big East player lazy with bad body language, while also saying that college sports are better than professional sports because professional athletes don't care and don't try.  I guess some people would rather watch the Brad Davisons of the world than the Kevin Durants of the world.  I'll take the latter 100 times out of 100.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback