'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192940 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #700 on: April 25, 2022, 01:21:17 PM »
I have a problem with giving a wealthy athlete a scholarship if they can pay their own way.

Not quite as ridiculous as your previous take, but pretty ridiculous. As others have stated, plenty of "wealthy" athletes have gotten scholarships over the years.

Let the bidding wars begin. Can an athlete higher a NIL agent to see what school offers the best deal?  Can a deal be made with the understanding the player will have a place at said school before being put on the portal?  I wouldn't be surprised if Kam, Stevie or even David have a decent sophomore season put their names in the portal. Rather sit on the Duke, UNC, Kansas or UCLA or wow Miami bench with a cushy NIL than playing for peanuts at Marquette.

Look, we get it ... emotionally and mentally, you're trapped back in 1969. You long for the days when athletes were indentured servants and when only the coaches, ADs and other power brokers could make any money. And you wish there were a way to resurrect Al and Willie Wampum. I know the rules of 2022 are onerous for you, but you have to try to somehow soldier on, brave sir.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #701 on: April 25, 2022, 01:24:28 PM »
Let the bidding wars begin. Can an athlete higher a NIL agent to see what school offers the best deal?  Can a deal be made with the understanding the player will have a place at said school before being put on the portal?  I wouldn't be surprised if Kam, Stevie or even David have a decent sophomore season put their names in the portal. Rather sit on the Duke, UNC, Kansas or UCLA or wow Miami bench with a cushy NIL than playing for peanuts at Marquette.

MU, along with pretty much everyone else, won’t be able to compete against the Blue Bloods for top players just as it’s always been.

Kam, Stevie, and David would need to have more than a “decent” sophomore season to even get a sniff from one of the programs you mentioned. Maybe if one of them wins conference player of the year, it’d be a different story.

From an NIL perspective, MU should be in a pretty good spot relative to all non blue bloods. It would be devastating to the program to start losing guys like the three you mention to a program like Iowa for example.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #702 on: April 25, 2022, 01:30:32 PM »
MU, along with pretty much everyone else, won’t be able to compete against the Blue Bloods for top players just as it’s always been.

Kam, Stevie, and David would need to have more than a “decent” sophomore season to even get a sniff from one of the programs you mentioned. Maybe if one of them wins conference player of the year, it’d be a different story.

From an NIL perspective, MU should be in a pretty good spot relative to all non blue bloods. It would be devastating to the program to start losing guys like the three you mention to a program like Iowa for example.

Your last sentence of the last paragraph would be the death knell.  As I mentioned in another thread, scoop alone could prevent this from happening by having die hard fans (I assume these are the only ones on scoop) pay some monthly stipend and buy players to advertise on their site. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #703 on: April 25, 2022, 02:47:17 PM »
Not quite as ridiculous as your previous take, but pretty ridiculous. As others have stated, plenty of "wealthy" athletes have gotten scholarships over the years.

Look, we get it ... emotionally and mentally, you're trapped back in 1969. You long for the days when athletes were indentured servants and when only the coaches, ADs and other power brokers could make any money. And you wish there were a way to resurrect Al and Willie Wampum. I know the rules of 2022 are onerous for you, but you have to try to somehow soldier on, brave sir.

Ask Ulice Payne if he was an indentured servant. He has done quite well for himself.

https://www.marquette.edu/alumni/awards-2010/recipient_Payne.php

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #704 on: April 25, 2022, 02:50:35 PM »
Ask Ulice Payne if he was an indentured servant. He has done quite well for himself.

https://www.marquette.edu/alumni/awards-2010/recipient_Payne.php
I usually like to formulate opinions/decisions based upon single events that fit my mindset as well.   ::)

My wife and I were watching a television show the other night and a man was convicted of a crime he didn't commit.  In prison he fell into a religious group, and took advantage of the opportunity to further his education.  He said that while the false imprisonment took 10 years from him that he would never get back, he also felt an odd appreciation because he felt if he wasn't in prison he likely was headed down a path that would have seen him dead.  Based upon this story...false imprisonment is my stance on best practice for high risk young adults.   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 02:53:56 PM by avid1010 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #705 on: April 25, 2022, 02:50:43 PM »
Yes we know who Ulice Payne is.  Not sure how this is all relevant, but OK....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #706 on: April 25, 2022, 03:05:27 PM »
I usually like to formulate opinions/decisions based upon single events that fit my mindset as well.   ::)

My wife and I were watching a television show the other night and a man was convicted of a crime he didn't commit.  In prison he fell into a religious group, and took advantage of the opportunity to further his education.  He said that while the false imprisonment took 10 years from him that he would never get back, he also felt an odd appreciation because he felt if he wasn't in prison he likely was headed down a path that would have seen him dead.  Based upon this story...false imprisonment is my stance on best practice for high risk young adults.

OK, I don't think Jim Chones felt like an indentured servant. He signed a pro contract for more money that I made in my entire working career.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #707 on: April 25, 2022, 03:06:02 PM »
OK, I don't think Jim Chones felt like an indentured servant. He signed a pro contract for more money that I made in my entire working career.

Life’s tough, gramps
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #708 on: April 25, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »

Do you think Jim Chones or Ulice Payne would have liked the opportunity to make money in college off their NIL? Because if the answer is yes, your point is moot. If your answer is no, you're lying to yourself.

Hell, Chones had access to NIL he might have been able to finish the season instead of leaving early for the ABA.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #709 on: April 25, 2022, 03:12:30 PM »
I have no problem with an athlete earning from NIL. I have a problem with giving a wealthy athlete a scholarship if they can pay their own way.

So, eliminate lacrosse, golf and hockey as scholarship sports?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #710 on: April 25, 2022, 03:25:42 PM »
Since there's the remaining "will he or won't he" transfer portal discussion around Justin, the date to watch is May 1st. That's the deadline for players to enter the portal and be immediately eligible for next season. If we get to next Monday and Justin isn't in the portal, his options are down to going pro, returning to Marquette, or sitting out next season.
My guess is MU will come up with loot to reasonably satisfy Justin by May 1 to prevent an immediate eligibility portal filing as described above
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #711 on: April 25, 2022, 04:02:12 PM »
I love Professional College Basketball.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #712 on: April 25, 2022, 04:09:11 PM »

weak, just condescending and weak.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #713 on: April 25, 2022, 04:23:33 PM »
2 examples...you the man!

Would you like me to show you examples of athletes who felt they were taken advantage of...the list is long...but I'm not sure it proves anything.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 04:43:54 PM by avid1010 »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #714 on: April 25, 2022, 04:37:30 PM »

I found this quote interesting:

"Given what a second-round pick can earn, compared to the NIL money Love could collect, it’s likely that he’ll be back at UNC."
https://tarheeltribune.com/2022/04/07/with-nil-money-changing-equation-unc-should-have-roster-to-make-redemption-run-like-1982-and-2017/

We have a 20-page thread where there is a commonly accepted wisdom that Justin should leave because the money he could earn even as a mid-2nd round pick is too much to pass up. 

Looking at the decisions by Love, Bacot, Oscar Tshiebwe to remain in college, the opposite seems to be turning out to be the case--the NIL money might be better than what a 2nd round pick might earn. 

It raises the question as to how far is MU from being able to retain Lewis based on similar NIL.

I just think Justin is also a significantly better prospect than any of those guys.

He can play inside with the bigs above the rim, he can hit shots from the outside at a really solid clip, and he's got really good footwork for a guy 6'7"/6'8".

He's simply more NBA ready than any of those guys mentioned.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #715 on: April 25, 2022, 04:58:23 PM »
If you don’t like the new world of college athletics, no one is making you continue to be a fan.  You can shake your fist at the clouds all the live long day but the train he left the station.  The world changes, sports change.  We can adapt or be left behind.  The choice is yours.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #716 on: April 25, 2022, 05:02:32 PM »
Do you think Jim Chones or Ulice Payne would have liked the opportunity to make money in college off their NIL? Because if the answer is yes, your point is moot. If your answer is no, you're lying to yourself.

Hell, Chones had access to NIL he might have been able to finish the season instead of leaving early for the ABA.

This.

Al woulda been able to secure NIL funding for his guys, too.

weak, just condescending and weak.

Sorry if change scares some people here. It's hell that athletes actually want to have control over (and to profit from) their own names, images and likenesses the way almost everybody else in America can.

"Just shaddup and entertain me ... and if you don't entertain me enough, I'll rip you on the interwebs!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #717 on: April 25, 2022, 05:42:12 PM »
So, will Marquette become a top tier minor league college basketball team that the Blue have the ability to call up a Marquette rising star?
In addition, as a top tier minor league college basketball team, can Marquette call up a lower tier minor league CBB team star from say Atlantic 10 or Mountain West?
Should Marquette be sad about the outcome when Marquette face a Major League college basketball team like UNC?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:45:12 PM by NCMUFan »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #718 on: April 25, 2022, 05:47:59 PM »
This.

Sorry if change scares some people here. It's hell that athletes actually want to have control over (and to profit from) their own names, images and likenesses the way almost everybody else in America can.

"Just shaddup and entertain me ... and if you don't entertain me enough, I'll rip you on the interwebs!"

I don’t think you get Vipers point.  It’s how you argue not your argument.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #719 on: April 25, 2022, 05:48:57 PM »
Very Chicos-esque criticism
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #720 on: April 25, 2022, 05:51:05 PM »
So true. Marquette, as you state, has never been able to compete against the Blue Bloods. Just imagine if Gonzaga in Spokane WA tried to compete at the D1 level much less get players with offers from Blue Bloods?  That would be funny. Almost as funny as Baylor having decent teams in basketball or football.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #721 on: April 25, 2022, 06:00:00 PM »
So, eliminate lacrosse, golf and hockey as scholarship sports?
Tennis anyone?
Goal is National Championship

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #722 on: April 25, 2022, 06:17:26 PM »
This.

Who is scared? The new reality is great for the players who want to further their careers and make some pretty good coin. I just have my doubts that Marquette basketball will be competitive enough to win championships. Many here believe they will. Will see.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #723 on: April 25, 2022, 08:12:56 PM »
In the long run, while the NIL is good for some players, it is not good for college basketball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #724 on: April 25, 2022, 08:17:12 PM »
In the long run, while the NIL is good for some players, it is not good for college basketball.

Nonsense. Keeping talent in college basketball is GREAT for the game. And NIL will do that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback