'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192996 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #675 on: April 25, 2022, 09:35:34 AM »

What makes Marquette known?  It isn’t the lawyers that have graduated from the school. 

1. Men's Basketball
2. Dentists (QAnon gatherings spike MU Google Analytics)
3. The Interchange
4. Crime
5. Chris Farley

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #676 on: April 25, 2022, 09:37:01 AM »
I am sured all the Marquette nursing student are thrilled that they have less value than a basketball player and perhaps point that out when the basketball player is on the operating table.

If a basketball player is on an operating table, a current nursing student isn't going to be part of the procedure.

Nursing students are more valuable for the world as a whole. Athletes are more valuable specifically to universities. That's just a fact. And like Brew said, if you want to start funneling NIL money to nursing students, no one is stopping you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #677 on: April 25, 2022, 09:40:11 AM »
I am sured all the Marquette nursing student are thrilled that they have less value than a basketball player and perhaps point that out when the basketball player is on the operating table.

It's time to stop.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #678 on: April 25, 2022, 09:44:45 AM »

Of all your ridiculous takes on the topic of athlete freedom/compensation, this is a candidate for your bottom 5.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #679 on: April 25, 2022, 09:50:51 AM »
1. Men's Basketball
3. The Interchange
4. Crime
5. Chris Farley

What ... no Joe McCarthy?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #680 on: April 25, 2022, 09:54:13 AM »
[/quote

2 years ago when I was living by myself in my basement, because I was in/out of COVID patients rooms all day at work. I got home and a lot of nights turned on old Marquette games on YouTube. The basketball games provided way more value to just me then about anything else.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #681 on: April 25, 2022, 10:00:57 AM »
What ... no Joe McCarthy?

Recently had some repair work done at home by a Joseph McCarthy. All I could think was how awkward a name that had to be growing up (especially as he was in his 70s, so he would've been around when Tail-Gunner Joe was making his name.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #682 on: April 25, 2022, 10:19:38 AM »
1. Men's Basketball
3. The Interchange
4. Crime
5. Chris Farley
Wrong! Scoop #1 Basketball #2
Goal is National Championship

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #683 on: April 25, 2022, 10:23:15 AM »

I found this quote interesting:

"Given what a second-round pick can earn, compared to the NIL money Love could collect, it’s likely that he’ll be back at UNC."
https://tarheeltribune.com/2022/04/07/with-nil-money-changing-equation-unc-should-have-roster-to-make-redemption-run-like-1982-and-2017/

We have a 20-page thread where there is a commonly accepted wisdom that Justin should leave because the money he could earn even as a mid-2nd round pick is too much to pass up. 

Looking at the decisions by Love, Bacot, Oscar Tshiebwe to remain in college, the opposite seems to be turning out to be the case--the NIL money might be better than what a 2nd round pick might earn. 

It raises the question as to how far is MU from being able to retain Lewis based on similar NIL.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #684 on: April 25, 2022, 10:29:47 AM »

"Given what a second-round pick can earn, compared to the NIL money Love could collect, it’s likely that he’ll be back at UNC."
https://tarheeltribune.com/2022/04/07/with-nil-money-changing-equation-unc-should-have-roster-to-make-redemption-run-like-1982-and-2017/

We have a 20-page thread where there is a commonly accepted wisdom that Justin should leave because the money he could earn even as a mid-2nd round pick is too much to pass up. 

Looking at the decisions by Love, Bacot, Oscar Tshiebwe to remain in college, the opposite seems to be turning out to be the case--the NIL money might be better than what a 2nd round pick might earn. 

It raises the question as to how far is MU from being able to retain Lewis based on similar NIL.

Yes, Marquette will always be behind North Carolina and Kentucky in terms of NIL. But this is also one of the reasons why NIL is great for college basketball. It keeps top talent in college longer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #685 on: April 25, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »

There is always the possibility he comes back to another school that can provide a better NIL package than MU (COLE).

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #686 on: April 25, 2022, 10:46:40 AM »
Yes, Marquette will always be behind North Carolina and Kentucky in terms of NIL. But this is also one of the reasons why NIL is great for college basketballUNC and Kentucky . It keeps top talent in college longer.

FIFY

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #687 on: April 25, 2022, 10:47:41 AM »
Since there's the remaining "will he or won't he" transfer portal discussion around Justin, the date to watch is May 1st. That's the deadline for players to enter the portal and be immediately eligible for next season. If we get to next Monday and Justin isn't in the portal, his options are down to going pro, returning to Marquette, or sitting out next season.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #688 on: April 25, 2022, 11:01:59 AM »
There is always the possibility he comes back to another school that can provide a better NIL package than MU (COLE).

With your COLE reference I realize your post is slightly pre-TEAL.

If there was no hint of satire, let me say this:

Imagine a hypothetical where a player exits a system he has fit very well in, in order to garner $300,000 more in NIL money from a big💰 blue-blood. He has a decent final college season there, but falls a bit off the NBA radar after not being utilized properly. Given back-to-back year similarities in pro talent and mock drafts, the player regressed slightly and dropped 8 draft slots. Was the transfer worth the immediate pecuniary gain, only to take a significant hit on his first contract?

I realize that Justin was a Wojo recruit, but Shaka clearly did a phenomenal job utilizing and developing him. It’s really a simple equation, but one that requires a bit of thought from the athlete himself. Shaka will also be well-positioned if Justin indeed gets feedback that he needs to play the small 5 more.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 11:08:21 AM by GoFastAndWin »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #689 on: April 25, 2022, 11:10:01 AM »
With your COLE reference I realize your post is slightly pre-TEAL.

If there was no hint of satire, let me say this:

Imagine a hypothetical where a player exits a system he has fit very well in, in order to garner $400,000 more in NIL money from a big💰 blue-blood. He has a decent final college season there, but falls a bit off the NBA radar after not being utilized properly. Given back-to back year similarities in pro talent and mock drafts, the player regressed slightly and dropped 8 draft slots. Was the transfer worth the immediate pecuniary gain, only to take a significant hit on his first contract?

I realize that Justin was a Wojo recruit, but Shaka clearly did a phenomenal job utilizing and developing him. It’s really a simple equation, but one that requires a bit of thought from the athlete himself. Shaka will also be well-positioned if Justin indeed gets feedback that he needs to play the small 5 more.

By nature, athletes are competitive and confident. A player who has accomplished what Justin just did at Marquette -- First-team All-BE, BEMIP, 17/8, NCAAT bid -- likely would go in thinking that he'd be even better at a blueblood, in part because the talent around him would make his own ability shine all the more. The coach trying to poach him would sell him on that, too, and coaches are great salespeople. It wouldn't even enter a confident athlete's mind that he could end up in a worse position vis-a-vis the draft.

So sure, your scenario could play out ... but most top-tier athletes would not entertain that scenario when making their decisions.

Yes, Marquette will always be behind North Carolina and Kentucky in terms of NIL. But this is also one of the reasons why NIL is great for college basketball. It keeps top talent in college longer.

Yep. Of course, some of the same folks who want athletes to stay in school longer also prefer that major-sport athletes have neither free-transfer rights nor the right to be compensated for their own NIL.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #690 on: April 25, 2022, 11:11:32 AM »

100%.  COLE will be dictated by MUs ability to retain their best players (phase 2 of recruiting). 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 11:14:08 AM by Shooter McGavin »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #691 on: April 25, 2022, 11:11:56 AM »
Yep. Of course, some of the same folks who want athletes to stay in school longer also prefer that major-sport athletes have neither free-transfer rights nor the right to be compensated for their own NIL.

Dammit I want them to entertain me on MY terms!

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #692 on: April 25, 2022, 12:08:12 PM »
MU82,
Thanks for the input. Hadn’t considered the high-level athlete “supreme confidence” angle.

I see your point, and though I don’t have a coaching background like you, I love watching videos of top coaches effectively getting their point across in hands-on demonstrations. Saw one recently of Shaka from his VCU days on setting the proper screen and especially on the roller’s posture as he dribbles and moves around it. It’s like the ball-handler had an epiphany when implored by Shaka to get as low as possible when traversing the teammate’s screen.

Watching the light bulb go on in the players’ minds, especially on something so simple, actually has me in the opposite frame of mind from your point. IOW, we should never assume even high D-1 players have been schooled fully and properly in fundamentals. Shaka truly wears many hats, but hands-on fundamental instruction is clearly something he doesn’t delegate or think he’s better than. It’s just my contention that Justin was the beneficiary of some serious instructional coaching to make the leap he made. The talent was “in the crib” as Al liked to say. Shaka has clearly met his responsibility to “get it out” of Mr. Justin Lewis. Here’s to whatever is best for JL. Selfishly hoping he “puts it all together” right here.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #693 on: April 25, 2022, 12:11:50 PM »

All mock drafts are not equal just because it says ‘mock draft’ on the heading.
thx…I mean, really. Thx!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #694 on: April 25, 2022, 12:15:08 PM »
Bleacher Report and Sports Illustrated both have Justin at 41 in their latest mock drafts.

ESPN ranks Justin at 40 in their top 100.
so, mid 2nd rd. Seems about right.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #695 on: April 25, 2022, 12:50:56 PM »
Of all your ridiculous takes on the topic of athlete freedom/compensation, this is a candidate for your bottom 5.

I have no problem with an athlete earning from NIL. I have a problem with giving a wealthy athlete a scholarship if they can pay their own way.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #696 on: April 25, 2022, 01:01:01 PM »
I have no problem with an athlete earning from NIL. I have a problem with giving a wealthy athlete a scholarship if they can pay their own way.

College students who can "pay their own way" routinely get scholarships already.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #697 on: April 25, 2022, 01:02:24 PM »
is he being offered any type of significant NIL deal?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #698 on: April 25, 2022, 01:06:46 PM »
Athletic scholarships are not need based.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #699 on: April 25, 2022, 01:11:08 PM »

Let the bidding wars begin. Can an athlete higher a NIL agent to see what school offers the best deal?  Can a deal be made with the understanding the player will have a place at said school before being put on the portal?  I wouldn't be surprised if Kam, Stevie or even David have a decent sophomore season put their names in the portal. Rather sit on the Duke, UNC, Kansas or UCLA or wow Miami bench with a cushy NIL than playing for peanuts at Marquette.

feedback