'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192988 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Justin
« Reply #650 on: April 24, 2022, 12:21:19 PM »
Name a non-athlete student getting a free ride at the school and earning 6 figures or even 5 figures "on the side". Some of those students might even lose the scholarship/grant because it is need based as well if they earn too much "on the side".

Most non-athlete students are paying their tuition/books and fees, so its not quite the same.

As I said, athletes are way more valuable so they're making a lot more as they should be. Why do you have a problem with that?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #651 on: April 24, 2022, 12:29:51 PM »
First of all, I support the players here re NIL money.

Combined with the one free transfer rule, student athletes are now free agents not once, but twice in a career that lasts anywhere from 1 to 4 years. Whether that’s a good idea I don’t know. Time will tell. But the idea that free agent athletes won’t “follow the money” once this whole thing shakes out defies both logic and all the empirical evidence we have in this regard. Will there be some players who like it where they are and gives their school/team a “home town discount”. Sure. Some, but not very many.

So you have been a free agent your entire career. I'm sure that at various points (probably at most points) there were jobs out there that you qualified for that paid more money than what you were currently doing. Did you attempt to job hop every year always following the money?

Money will always be a major factor,  it will never be the only factor. The free transfer rule will also limit players abilities to move.  So yeah, you may lose a promising freshman but you can replace him with another promising recruit who will have a significant barrier to transferring again.

All that,  plus buying the best talent is only one way to win. It's a good one but there is more than one way to skin a cat
TAMU

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #652 on: April 24, 2022, 01:19:22 PM »
Name a non-athlete student getting a free ride at the school and earning 6 figures or even 5 figures "on the side". Some of those students might even lose the scholarship/grant because it is need based as well if they earn too much "on the side".

Most non-athlete students are paying their tuition/books and fees, so its not quite the same.

Name a non-athlete student who is helping his school make millions a year.

muguru

• All American
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Marquette4life

• All American

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #656 on: April 24, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »
So you have been a free agent your entire career. I'm sure that at various points (probably at most points) there were jobs out there that you qualified for that paid more money than what you were currently doing. Did you attempt to job hop every year always following the money?

Money will always be a major factor,  it will never be the only factor. The free transfer rule will also limit players abilities to move.  So yeah, you may lose a promising freshman but you can replace him with another promising recruit who will have a significant barrier to transferring again.

All that,  plus buying the best talent is only one way to win. It's a good one but there is more than one way to skin a cat

Actually I have worked for myself for almost all of my “career”. My boss was a cheap prick but I stayed with it nonetheless. Sports are different. Free agents almost always follow the money. I have no problem with that, but to pretend otherwise doesn’t square with reality.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #657 on: April 24, 2022, 06:31:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/jusbuckets_5/status/1518361020372328448?s=20&t=8dyts0PMLVpVIGKdgzj_PQ

Clearly means Justin is celebrating his second season at Marquette prior to coming back for an even better third season ...

Unless it clearly means Justin is celebrating his second (and final) season at Marquette prior to going pro ...

Unless it clearly means Justin is celebrating his second (and final) season at Marquette prior to transferring.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #658 on: April 24, 2022, 06:35:54 PM »
Clearly means Justin is celebrating his second season at Marquette prior to coming back for an even better third season ...

Unless it clearly means Justin is celebrating his second (and final) season at Marquette prior to going pro ...

Unless it clearly means Justin is celebrating his second (and final) season at Marquette prior to transferring.

I’m feeling pretty confident one of those things will happen.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #659 on: April 24, 2022, 06:50:27 PM »

No sh*t.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #660 on: April 24, 2022, 09:02:57 PM »
safe to assume he back?

Clearly. The tweet is "Soph season" and as we all know Lewis was a redshirt freshman, this is proof positive he's going to be back.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #661 on: April 24, 2022, 09:33:04 PM »
Clearly. The tweet is "Soph season" and as we all know Lewis was a redshirt freshman, this is proof positive he's going to be back.
I say COLE
Goal is National Championship

Viper

• All American
« Reply #662 on: April 25, 2022, 07:57:26 AM »
Looking over 5 different nba mock drafts, I only found one that has Justin drafted (2nd rd). The others have him just outside the 2nd rd in a group that includes Kofi Cockburn, Scotty Pippen Jr, Julian Champagnie, Jermaine Samuels, Drew Timme, Johnny Juzang, Isaiah Mobley and Ron Harper Jr..  Of note, UW’s Johnny Davis as high as no. 11 and Patrick Baldwin Jr no. 30.  Has JL signed with an agent?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #663 on: April 25, 2022, 08:03:42 AM »
Looking over 5 different nba mock drafts, I only found one that has Justin drafted (2nd rd). The others have him just outside the 2nd rd in a group that includes Kofi Cockburn, Scotty Pippen Jr, Julian Champagnie, Jermaine Samuels, Drew Timme, Johnny Juzang, Isaiah Mobley and Ron Harper Jr..  Of note, UW’s Johnny Davis as high as no. 11 and Patrick Baldwin Jr no. 30.  Has JL signed with an agent?

He has, but he signed with a NCAA-licensed agent, which means he can still return if he chooses. Though most of the mocks are pretty much just people's guesses. Vecenie, Ford, and a few others actually talk to NBA execs and are far more reliable. Though as Paint Touches recently noted, second round picks at this point are little better than throwing at names on a dart board.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #664 on: April 25, 2022, 08:11:20 AM »
As I said, athletes are way more valuable so they're making a lot more as they should be. Why do you have a problem with that?

Really? Like nurses, nurse practitioners, physicians assistants, engineers, physical therapists, lawyers, future investment bankers who are all paying their own way for the most part. Why pay the tuition for an athlete who can care less about school if he can afford to pay for it by his NIL earnings? The scholarship would be better spent on students like those above you would think. Most of the big 10 figure donations to the University I would assume come from students like those above, not the valuable athlete who played basketball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #665 on: April 25, 2022, 08:18:49 AM »
Really? Like nurses, nurse practitioners, physicians assistants, engineers, physical therapists, lawyers, future investment bankers who are all paying their own way for the most part. Why pay the tuition for an athlete who can care less about school if he can afford to pay for it by his NIL earnings? The scholarship would be better spent on students like those above you would think. Most of the big 10 figure donations to the University I would assume come from students like those above, not the valuable athlete who played basketball.

You do realize why colleges parktake in major college sports, correct?

The day of the scholar athlete would still be if colleges only truly cared about the competetion and not all the perks that come with it.

What makes Marquette known?  It isn’t the lawyers that have graduated from the school. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #666 on: April 25, 2022, 08:19:43 AM »
Really? Like nurses, nurse practitioners, physicians assistants, engineers, physical therapists, lawyers, future investment bankers who are all paying their own way for the most part. Why pay the tuition for an athlete who can care less about school if he can afford to pay for it by his NIL earnings?

Because that's what the marketplace demands.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #667 on: April 25, 2022, 08:26:07 AM »

1. The future nurses, nurse practitioners, physician's assistants, engineers, etc. do nothing for the school as students other than pay it tuition (for which they receive an education in return). The athletes are playing a sport for the university which generate thousands of dollars for the university (for which they receive an education in return). Those thousands of dollars generated than go to the school which allows them to make improvements for the nurses et. al.

2.You keep saying athletes don't care about school. Why do you assume that? Some don't, just like some non-athlete college students don't care about school. I think it is really concerning that you assume just because someone is a college athlete that they don't care about school.

3. You seem to have an idea that the majority of players are receiving hundreds of thousands in NIL money. That is not reality. A few will make more than their scholarships are worth, some will make about what their scholarships are worth, the vast majority will make less from NIL than the value of their scholarship

4. Athletic scholarships take exactly $0 away from scholarships for other students. In fact, they help the university raise money to create more scholarships for other students.

5. What university is receiving 10 figure donations? 7 or 8 figure donations is what I think you mean. And yes, there a few college students who grow up and become big donors later in life. They are less valuable as college students than student athletes are.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #668 on: April 25, 2022, 08:31:58 AM »

While I love the idea, it's simply not reality. I mean, teachers should probably be the highest paid people considering the importance of developing young minds, but we live in a world that values revenue generation. And donations go up when the basketball program is at its best because it's the best form of advertising for the University. That's why Father Wild said that money invested on basketball came back at a 2:1 rate.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #669 on: April 25, 2022, 08:43:16 AM »

Bleacher Report and Sports Illustrated both have Justin at 41 in their latest mock drafts.

ESPN ranks Justin at 40 in their top 100.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #670 on: April 25, 2022, 09:00:50 AM »
1. The future nurses, nurse practitioners, physician's assistants, engineers, etc. do nothing for the school as students other than pay it tuition (for which they receive an education in return). The athletes are playing a sport for the university which generate thousands of dollars for the university (for which they receive an education in return). Those thousands of dollars generated than go to the school which allows them to make improvements for the nurses et. al.

2.You keep saying athletes don't care about school. Why do you assume that? Some don't, just like some non-athlete college students don't care about school. I think it is really concerning that you assume just because someone is a college athlete that they don't care about school.

3. You seem to have an idea that the majority of players are receiving hundreds of thousands in NIL money. That is not reality. A few will make more than their scholarships are worth, some will make about what their scholarships are worth, the vast majority will make less from NIL than the value of their scholarship

4. Athletic scholarships take exactly $0 away from scholarships for other students. In fact, they help the university raise money to create more scholarships for other students.

5. What university is receiving 10 figure donations? 7 or 8 figure donations is what I think you mean. And yes, there a few college students who grow up and become big donors later in life. They are less valuable as college students than student athletes are.

I am sured all the Marquette nursing student are thrilled that they have less value than a basketball player and perhaps point that out when the basketball player is on the operating table.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #671 on: April 25, 2022, 09:04:08 AM »

All mock drafts are not equal just because it says ‘mock draft’ on the heading.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #672 on: April 25, 2022, 09:04:41 AM »
I am sured all the Marquette nursing student are thrilled that they have less value than a basketball player and perhaps point that out when the basketball player is on the operating table.

Except there's no prohibition on the nurse proving otherwise. If the nurse wants to earn money off their name, image, and likeness, there is and never has been any prohibition on that. If they want to appear in advertisements, do autograph sessions, or earn money off other public appearances, nothing is preventing them from any of that.

If you want to start a consortium to funnel money into recruiting the top nursing students, no one will stop you. If you can find donors and want to hand out thousands or even millions of dollars to them, go for it. I suspect, however, you will have a harder time convincing the moneyed donors to join your consortium than you would if you were supporting athletics. Feel free to prove me wrong.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 09:07:18 AM by brewcity77 »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #673 on: April 25, 2022, 09:06:32 AM »

Life’s tough but that’s the marketplace
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #674 on: April 25, 2022, 09:14:06 AM »
So, it seems, that first round pick and not drafted would be the two outliers for Justin.

Most recent prognostications have him around the 40 mark, so somewhere in the early to mid second round appears to be the most likely, barring an outlier reach or fall.

That then means the decision comes down to if Justin’s main goal is
1- to just get drafted and fulfill a lifelong dream, and then work his way into the league and greater future income.
OR
2- make a higher salary off the bat by potentially getting drafted in the middle of the first round, and having a higher probability to stick right off the jump.

Of course option 1 means he gawne, option 2 means he back.
Also, of course, if he selects door number 2 that means he is really betting on himself to improve his stock and stay healthy.

Here’s to hoping for door #2.
If Justin returns MU will be much better this season and he will win BEPoY and then get taken in the top 25/20 in next years draft, imo.
That’s clearly not guaranteed, but I would say the two biggest hurdles would be
A) playing all the games
B) his teammates carrying their weight (and him/coaches helping them carry it) to lead MU to a top 3 conference finish

Icing on the cake would be a good tourney performance by Justin himself and a nice run to the sweet 16 or beyond

feedback