[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192903 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Justin
« Reply #625 on: April 23, 2022, 11:47:19 PM »
Ha!  TAMU those types of players get us this years result.  Maybe.  Without Lewis we don’t even get there.  Lewis stayed because of no track record.  Let’s not be obtuse.  This is a real danger unless MU alums step up.  Lewis would be a great test case this year if he doesn’t go pro. 

This is serious money.  I don’t see us paying it.  You do and I hope you are right.  Minor league college ball will be way less interesting.

Oh hell no, we will never pay this level of money. But no, not every good player who ever plays for Marquette will transfer because they might make more money elsewhere.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #626 on: April 24, 2022, 05:46:51 AM »
I wonder if some NIL money will eventually dry up. How long will alumni or local business fans chip in NIL money for the non-blue blood schools when the NCAA tournament going forward is going to be dominated by the blue bloods?
This guy's well is pretty deep. He's just getting started.

https://businessofcollegesports.com/name-image-likeness/tracking-lifewallets-mission-to-sign-10-million-in-nil-deals/

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #627 on: April 24, 2022, 06:55:37 AM »
Ha!  TAMU those types of players get us this years result.  Maybe.  Without Lewis we don’t even get there.  Lewis stayed because of no track record.  Let’s not be obtuse.  This is a real danger unless MU alums step up.  Lewis would be a great test case this year if he doesn’t go pro. 

This is serious money.  I don’t see us paying it.  You do and I hope you are right.  Minor league college ball will be way less interesting.   

This years result was pretty good. Complete over achievement with a solid core of players moving into the future. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #628 on: April 24, 2022, 08:18:14 AM »
This guy's well is pretty deep. He's just getting started.

https://businessofcollegesports.com/name-image-likeness/tracking-lifewallets-mission-to-sign-10-million-in-nil-deals/
Good, and he sued anti-capitalist Kremlin like Fla. government.
Goal is National Championship

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #629 on: April 24, 2022, 09:04:36 AM »
I don' think this will prove to be true. Whenever we snag a Tyler Kolek or Zach Wrightsil, that is us doing this to someone else.

We didn’t snag those guys because of NIL. Wrightstil wasn’t transferring from a D1 school so we didn’t really do anything to anyone in that example.

I hope I’m wrong but I think it’s much more likely we lose really good players to other programs due to NIL money vs Marquette bringing someone in because of a 6 figure deal.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #630 on: April 24, 2022, 09:12:46 AM »

This years result was pretty good. Complete over achievement with a solid core of players moving into the future.

I agree it was pretty good for Shakas first year with basically an entirely new roster.  Shaka has the ability to recruit and coach.  I believe he can get the job done initially.  He took advantage of the transfer rule well bringing in Morsell, Kur, and Kolek.  Joplin and Ellis would have been able to come regardless. Kam and Stevie just had to be re-recruited.  No new rules necessary for those guys.

Going forward as these NIL deals like Pack’s become more universally available at other schools it becomes a HUGE factor in deciding where to go to school. 

If you had an option between going to MU or staying at MU when Miami was offering $800,000 for you to go there, you would have to be an idiot to go to MU.

So, I would not blame Lewis for leaving if he doesn’t go pro if the money is elsewhere.  And Lewis was first team all Big East and the main reason we made it to the tournament.  He was the main reason we even had an average to pretty good result this year. 

Losing those types of players despite “great relationships” will turn MU into an after thought in a hurry and Shaka will get frustrated and leave.  No really good coach wants to paddle upstream the rest of there lives. 

We need MU alums and the local businesses to step up.  It will be interesting to see if that happens. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #631 on: April 24, 2022, 09:19:05 AM »
It’s rather ironic that some on here (not all) who advocate for athletes being able to make as much as possible off their NIL, are the same ones who believe that very successful people should be taxed in a manner to cap their net worth. Interesting contradiction (and goal post shifting).

Please refrain from posting for a bit so I can get my popcorn ready to watch the gymnastics, name calling, and pontificating. 

I have no issue with NIL. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 09:26:13 AM by real chili 83 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #632 on: April 24, 2022, 09:22:49 AM »
 8-)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 09:25:58 AM by real chili 83 »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #633 on: April 24, 2022, 09:31:31 AM »
It will be interesting to see how many companies will have buyer's remorse in paying big NIL down the road. I think there will be a high ceiling and a big drop off to second and third tier players a few years from now. I am all for NIL, but my guess is some guys will struggle getting big money and it will change the landscape down the road.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #634 on: April 24, 2022, 09:46:40 AM »
It will be interesting to see how many companies will have buyer's remorse in paying big NIL down the road. I think there will be a high ceiling and a big drop off to second and third tier players a few years from now. I am all for NIL, but my guess is some guys will struggle getting big money and it will change the landscape down the road.

Agreed.  It will be interesting.  The big money is company owner hobby money.  Nothing else.  The big money like Pack’s will have almost zero return on investment.  I would think many board members around the country would have to justify those amounts to their investors.  If I was an investor I would want that money in my pocket not an athlete with zero value to my company and only value to an alum owner who likes college basketball.

My hope is that it is not sustainable and gets very reasonable in a hurry (one to two years).  Let’s get back to car money and a decent apartment for the parents money.  MU can compete in that world. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #635 on: April 24, 2022, 09:51:09 AM »
I'm not saying we'll go the Miami route, but do people realize it was basically one donor that paid Wojo to go away, and not one of the usual suspects that always get mentioned when Marquette donations are a topic?

The money is there for the basketball program. Guys like Menendez will lay out $10M but that includes 85 scholarship football players. If the staff can give proof of concept, the money is absolutely there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #636 on: April 24, 2022, 09:55:30 AM »
It’s rather ironic that some on here (not all) who advocate for athletes being able to make as much as possible off their NIL, are the same ones who believe that very successful people should be taxed in a manner to cap their net worth. Interesting contradiction (and goal post shifting).

Please refrain from posting for a bit so I can get my popcorn ready to watch the gymnastics, name calling, and pontificating. 

I have no issue with NIL.

I think it's pretty easy to understand.  They support people being able to achieve financial security.

What they oppose is people that acquire so much wealth that they tip the balance of power and turn the country into an oligarchy.

• All American
« Reply #637 on: April 24, 2022, 10:01:35 AM »

I agree it was pretty good for Shakas first year with basically an entirely new roster.  Shaka has the ability to recruit and coach.  I believe he can get the job done initially.  He took advantage of the transfer rule well bringing in Morsell, Kur, and Kolek.  Joplin and Ellis would have been able to come regardless. Kam and Stevie just had to be re-recruited.  No new rules necessary for those guys.

Going forward as these NIL deals like Pack’s become more universally available at other schools it becomes a HUGE factor in deciding where to go to school. 

If you had an option between going to MU or staying at MU when Miami was offering $800,000 for you to go there, you would have to be an idiot to go to MU.

So, I would not blame Lewis for leaving if he doesn’t go pro if the money is elsewhere.  And Lewis was first team all Big East and the main reason we made it to the tournament.  He was the main reason we even had an average to pretty good result this year. 

Losing those types of players despite “great relationships” will turn MU into an after thought in a hurry and Shaka will get frustrated and leave.  No really good coach wants to paddle upstream the rest of there lives. 

We need MU alums and the local businesses to step up.  It will be interesting to see if that happens. 

I guess we can all build nightmare scenarios if we want.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #638 on: April 24, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »
MU has enough money around the program to be competitive, now they have to get it done.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #639 on: April 24, 2022, 10:14:28 AM »

I guess we can all build nightmare scenarios if we want.

More like a realistic scenario.  Would you realistically choose Kansas State or Miami if you were the Pack family?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #640 on: April 24, 2022, 10:35:52 AM »
More like a realistic scenario.  Would you realistically choose Kansas State or Miami if you were the Pack family?
We will choose our battles. It was being done anyway by the schools that were getting top recruits.
Goal is National Championship

• All American
« Reply #641 on: April 24, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »

No idea. But I think a lot of players aren’t going to follow the money, that many players who are getting paid less are going to perform better than those who are paid more, and that Marquette will find a path to succeed. Scoop is great at forecasting every change affecting college basketball as negative.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #642 on: April 24, 2022, 10:40:28 AM »

Not really.  I think athletes should be taxed on their NIL money.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #643 on: April 24, 2022, 10:45:47 AM »

I think you have this idea that every player will transfer looking for a bigger payday but that really hasn't played out.  A few will and find that payday.  Some will and be disappointed. I think many, possibly most,  won't even look because they are happy where they are.

Put it to you this way,  has there ever been a point in your career where you knew you qualified for higher paying jobs but apply didn't because you were happy with your current situation?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 11:07:00 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #644 on: April 24, 2022, 10:51:39 AM »

No idea. But I think a lot of players aren’t going to follow the money, that many players who are getting paid less are going to perform better than those who are paid more, and that Marquette will find a path to succeed. Scoop is great at forecasting every change affecting college basketball as negative.

I hope you are right and I do especially agree with your last sentence.  I have definitely been in the negative camp on this change only for its potential implications for MU.   I’m happy for the athletes. 

Ultimately, I hope MU will be competitive and for me that means recruiting and retaining athletes that can lead us to competitive Big East finishes and the NCAA tournament regularly so we can an occasional deep run (2-3 times a decade).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #645 on: April 24, 2022, 11:09:02 AM »
We didn’t snag those guys because of NIL. Wrightstil wasn’t transferring from a D1 school so we didn’t really do anything to anyone in that example.

I hope I’m wrong but I think it’s much more likely we lose really good players to other programs due to NIL money vs Marquette bringing someone in because of a 6 figure deal.

NIL was very much a part of why we snagged those guys. And yes we did something to Loyola New Orleans by taking Wrightsil. It seems like you're saying it only counts when it happens to us.  NIL is a factor in every recruitment now
TAMU

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #646 on: April 24, 2022, 11:40:57 AM »
NIL was very much a part of why we snagged those guys. And yes we did something to Loyola New Orleans by taking Wrightsil. It seems like you're saying it only counts when it happens to us.  NIL is a factor in every recruitment now

I don’t see Wrightsil leaving for a clear step-up in competition level as the same thing as an existing D1 player transferring but that’s just my perspective.

Would love to hear how NIL impacted Kolek coming as I don’t recall any deals for him.

But I’m talking more about losing an impact guy due to a big money deal and maybe we see exactly that happen with Lewis.

Sorry but if an 18-21 kid is offered at least 6 figure more to go elsewhere than stay at Marquette he’s probably going to go, regardless of the culture or relationship with Shaka.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #647 on: April 24, 2022, 11:43:09 AM »
I think you have this idea that every player will transfer looking for a bigger payday but that really hasn't played out.  A few will and find that payday.  Some will and be disappointed. I think many, possibly most,  won't even look because they are happy where they are.

Put it to you this way,  has there ever been a point in your career where you knew you qualified for higher paying jobs but apply didn't because you were happy with your current situation?

First of all, I support the players here re NIL money.

Combined with the one free transfer rule, student athletes are now free agents not once, but twice in a career that lasts anywhere from 1 to 4 years. Whether that’s a good idea I don’t know. Time will tell. But the idea that free agent athletes won’t “follow the money” once this whole thing shakes out defies both logic and all the empirical evidence we have in this regard. Will there be some players who like it where they are and gives their school/team a “home town discount”. Sure. Some, but not very many.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #648 on: April 24, 2022, 12:05:06 PM »
Why do you assume it is a charade?

The school gets a basketball player.  They pay the basketball player with a scholarship which is valuable for the player. The player can now also earn money on the side.

It's no different than what non athlete college students have been doing forever... expect the athletes NIL is way more valuable than most non athletes

Name a non-athlete student getting a free ride at the school and earning 6 figures or even 5 figures "on the side". Some of those students might even lose the scholarship/grant because it is need based as well if they earn too much "on the side".

Most non-athlete students are paying their tuition/books and fees, so its not quite the same.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 12:10:37 PM by muwarrior69 »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #649 on: April 24, 2022, 12:10:50 PM »
Name a non-athlete student getting a free ride at the school and earning 6 figures or even 5 figures "on the side". Some of those students might even lose the scholarship/grant because it is need based as well if they earn too much "on the side".
Yeah, those non SAs are reallly rather rare to be sure.

feedback