'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192956 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #600 on: April 23, 2022, 04:23:48 PM »
Based on Shakas signing’s so far he is bringing in people who he thinks he can develop into high level talent.  They have not necessarily been the type that MU has to make sure are paid big dollars immediately upon arrival.  That is ok if MU is ready and willing for Phase 2.

Phase 2 with this strategy is MU alums/business leaders in Milwaukee who are willing to step up when it matters, after the players become good to great college players. Justin is a good example of this.  Hopefully the powers that be have a nice package waiting for him if he decides not to go pro.  I would hate to become the triple A team for the big boys.

At least in prior years we didn’t have to worry about our best players (diamonds in the rough) leaving for anywhere but the pros.  The way it is set up now we could be a farm team if we’re not ready.

MU was always in this position when compared to the Kentuckys of the world on initial recruitment of players as people incessantly point out.  In that way nothing has changed. But they weren’t necessarily in this position after MU had them in the fold.  The new rules give the big boys another chance to keep lesser programs from reaching their potential. 

Overall point, I eagerly await MUs and the MU community’s response to this.  The recruiting strategy could pay off big time if we are willing to pay big $$$$ in Phase 2.  If not our next Wade will be in the Final Four for another team.

If Justin doesn't stay in the draft, it wouldn't remotely surprise me if he transferred elsewhere for a big payday. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #601 on: April 23, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »
Yeah. Maybe go to Duke or NC. Worked out well for Theo and Garcia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #602 on: April 23, 2022, 05:49:47 PM »
Theo went to a final 4.   It worked out great for him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #603 on: April 23, 2022, 06:00:05 PM »

How it could potentially work out  (really well for Theo, not well for Dawson, for example) isn’t really the point.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #604 on: April 23, 2022, 06:34:59 PM »
Theo went to a final 4.   It worked out great for him.
Eh...i get it's an experience...and COVID was an issue for going overseas...but i don't see how theo increased his value.  No clue what he'll make overseas...but the opportunity cost was pretty high, imho.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #605 on: April 23, 2022, 07:13:59 PM »
Eh...i get it's an experience...and COVID was an issue for going overseas...but i don't see how theo increased his value.  No clue what he'll make overseas...but the opportunity cost was pretty high, imho.

He was a contributor to a Final Four team. That's pretty awesome. He has a lifetime to worry about his value, but had one shot at a Final Four.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #606 on: April 23, 2022, 07:48:17 PM »

It was one season of overseas play.  He got a Duke education, access to the Duke alumni network for both basketball and academia, and played in a FF.  All that could easily equal, and likely surpass, the $75-80K he probably would have made this season in a mid or lower level Euro league.  And that's not considering the mitigating factors of COVID

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #607 on: April 23, 2022, 07:59:37 PM »
That's not actually how the working world works.

Of course it is. At least the perceived value they are expected to bring.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:24:31 PM by Clarissa »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #608 on: April 23, 2022, 08:04:10 PM »
If Justin doesn't stay in the draft, it wouldn't remotely surprise me if he transferred elsewhere for a big payday.

That is the concern.  Losing our best players every year to big pay days would seriously dampen enthusiasm around the program. Season tickets would go down the crapper. 

Let’s hope that is not the case.   

• All American
« Reply #609 on: April 23, 2022, 08:05:07 PM »
That's not how it's going to work necessarily.  But if that's how it's done, and players are actually paid by their merit or value, how do you determine that exactly before they step on the court?  Or should they get paid after the season?  Won't some players  immediately transfer to schools that pay them more after a good season?  As far aa I know there is no cap.

Employers assume value when they hire someone for a certain salary.  If they don't perform well, they are fired.  How is this different?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #610 on: April 23, 2022, 08:32:22 PM »
I call B.S. on stating Miami offered Nijel Pack 600K to transfer there. That is in direct violation of Florida law.

Florida statute:
An intercollegiate athlete at a postsecondary educational institution may earn compensation for the use of her or his name, image, or likeness. Such compensation must be commensurate with the market value of the authorized use of the athlete’s name, image, or likeness. To preserve the integrity, quality, character, and amateur nature of intercollegiate athletics and to maintain a clear separation between amateur intercollegiate athletics and professional sports, such compensation may not be provided in exchange for athletic performance or attendance at a particular institution and may only be provided by a third party unaffiliated with the intercollegiate athlete’s postsecondary educational institution.

You were right on Pack being offered $600k. It was actually $800K and a car
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #611 on: April 23, 2022, 08:41:57 PM »
He would risk not being a starter at those schools.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #612 on: April 23, 2022, 08:43:36 PM »
No, they get "paid" to play basketball for the university.

Then why go through the charade of taking classes?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #613 on: April 23, 2022, 08:44:51 PM »

I don’t know.  I wondered the same thing in the 90s when I was in school. 

• All American
« Reply #614 on: April 23, 2022, 08:47:50 PM »

It’s required. And maybe, and just hear me out here, they want to be in college. 

You fail to understand that people can go to school, play basketball AND earn income. Why is that hard to figure out?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #615 on: April 23, 2022, 08:50:29 PM »
I am assuming he got some kind of degree from Duke. That increases his value outside of basketball. I would also assume playing a year at Duke also increases his basketball ability.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #616 on: April 23, 2022, 08:54:57 PM »
I was wrong.  Although I still think its a pay to play

Edit to add: Did Pack take his name out of the NBA draft? I think it would be great if he stayed in the draft. Easy way to pocket 800K.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 08:00:42 AM by lawdog77 »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #617 on: April 23, 2022, 08:59:01 PM »
I wonder if some NIL money will eventually dry up. How long will alumni or local business fans chip in NIL money for the non-blue blood schools when the NCAA tournament going forward is going to be dominated by the blue bloods?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #618 on: April 23, 2022, 09:01:58 PM »

Why do you assume it is a charade?

The school gets a basketball player.  They pay the basketball player with a scholarship which is valuable for the player. The player can now also earn money on the side.

It's no different than what non athlete college students have been doing forever... expect the athletes NIL is way more valuable than most non athletes
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #619 on: April 23, 2022, 09:02:20 PM »
I wonder if some NIL money will eventually dry up. How long will alumni or local business fans chip in NIL money for the non-blue blood schools when the NCAA tournament going forward is going to be dominated by the blue bloods?

Such a chicken little.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #620 on: April 23, 2022, 09:37:48 PM »

Wow.  This does eliminate the need to go g-league or Europe/Australia that’s for sure. 

You would need a crap load of disposable income as a company/individual to do this regularly/yearly for different players.  It’s not like this can be used as a tax break (or can it?). 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #621 on: April 23, 2022, 10:17:38 PM »
Wow.  This does eliminate the need to go g-league or Europe/Australia that’s for sure. 

You would need a crap load of disposable income as a company/individual to do this regularly/yearly for different players.  It’s not like this can be used as a tax break (or can it?).

Would assume a company can write that off as marketing expenses since the athlete is supposed to be promoting there product or service.   But I’m no tax guy

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #622 on: April 23, 2022, 11:11:33 PM »
I know it’s not remotely realistic but I wish every player could get paid a solid but equal amount, which would remove the worst case scenarios for a lot of schools (IE excellent recruiting and development only to see the player bolt for the cash elsewhere).

This is much more likely to happen TO us than to our benefit.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #623 on: April 23, 2022, 11:17:05 PM »
This is much more likely to happen TO us than to our benefit.

I don' think this will prove to be true. Whenever we snag a Tyler Kolek or Zach Wrightsil, that is us doing this to someone else.
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #624 on: April 23, 2022, 11:26:03 PM »
I don' think this will prove to be true. Whenever we snag a Tyler Kolek or Zach Wrightsil, that is us doing this to someone else.

Ha!  TAMU those types of players get us this years result.  Maybe.  Without Lewis we don’t even get there.  Lewis stayed because of no track record.  Let’s not be obtuse.  This is a real danger unless MU alums step up.  Lewis would be a great test case this year if he doesn’t go pro. 

This is serious money.  I don’t see us paying it.  You do and I hope you are right.  Minor league college ball will be way less interesting.   

feedback