'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192944 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Justin
« Reply #575 on: April 23, 2022, 08:12:36 AM »
Dear Shaka:

I am going to transfer because other players make more NIL money than I do.

Sincerely

A Player.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #576 on: April 23, 2022, 08:18:53 AM »
I'm honestly curious about the logic here. Is the argument that college athletes are too fragile? Too dumb? Too selfish? What is it about college athletes that make them the only people in the country who are incapable of handling being paid for their services/incapable of working with people who get compensated more or less than they do?

It’s grasping at straws. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #577 on: April 23, 2022, 08:23:31 AM »
It’s grasping at straws. 

And it's a fundamental lack of understanding that college students already have classmates that have more, and make more than they do.  And they get along just fine.  In my experience, those jealousies are worse among older adults than college students.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #578 on: April 23, 2022, 08:28:25 AM »

And it's a fundamental lack of understanding that college students already have classmates that have more, and make more than they do.  And they get along just fine.  In my experience, those jealousies are worse among older adults than college students.

It’s my experience the people that work harder to match or exceed what their peers are getting tend to be much more productive for you.  If you’re surrounded by those who pout about it, you’re doomed to failure anyway.  That’s part of being a coach, finding the guys that are the former, not the latter
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #579 on: April 23, 2022, 08:32:46 AM »

but I think you’ll agree that NIL could create issues within the team that the HC has to be aware of. Does player B become jealous of player A making bank. Does player B feel he should get what A is getting, which then creates division. How does A relate to his teammates? Entitled? How does A relate to his coach? All may be just fine, but there must be an awareness on behalf of the coaches, I would think.

• All American
« Reply #580 on: April 23, 2022, 08:40:42 AM »
but I think you’ll agree that NIL could create issues within the team that the HC has to be aware of. Does player B become jealous of player A making bank. Does player B feel he should get what A is getting, which then creates division. How does A relate to his teammates? Entitled? How does A relate to his coach? All may be just fine, but there must be an awareness on behalf of the coaches, I would think.

There has to be an awareness from coaches about a bunch of team-related things.  I'm not saying NIL is going to cause NO issues, but I just don't think it's the big deal that Mugs or MU69 think it is.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #581 on: April 23, 2022, 08:59:01 AM »

And worst even it's older adults projecting that jealousy onto college students.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #582 on: April 23, 2022, 09:15:36 AM »
Most are stating  it will cause few if any problems.  I think it could but I hope I'm wrong.  I also believe it's not analogous to the every day working world.   You could have situations where many players believe they deserve way more money than they'll get and therefore decide to forego college hoops entirely.  You may have teams buy guys with essentially unlimited resources. 

The huge schools have an enormous advantage.  To suggest this will play out seamlessly like they're capatalists working a 9 to 5 job is a stretch imo. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #583 on: April 23, 2022, 09:17:12 AM »

There has to be an awareness from coaches about a bunch of team-related things.  I'm not saying NIL is going to cause NO issues, but I just don't think it's the big deal that Mugs or MU69 think it is.
They probably need to stop calling it NIL money. Those paying NIL money now don't really seem to be doing it to get an ROI. Might as well just allow pay to play.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #584 on: April 23, 2022, 09:18:28 AM »
I think Justin will get drafted in the 45-60 range. 

• All American
« Reply #585 on: April 23, 2022, 09:26:47 AM »
Most are stating  it will cause few if any problems.  I think it could but I hope I'm wrong.  I also believe it's not analogous to the every day working world.   You could have situations where many players believe they deserve way more money than they'll get and therefore decide to forego college hoops entirely.  You may have teams buy guys with essentially unlimited resources. 

The huge schools have an enormous advantage.  To suggest this will play out seamlessly like they're capatalists working a 9 to 5 job is a stretch imo. 

I really can’t see how this is different from the working world. People are paid the value that they bring.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #586 on: April 23, 2022, 09:38:38 AM »

Competitive balance concerns are legitimate.  I'm not personally swayed by that argument but it will further separate high majors from low and mid majors.

It's the,  "they can't handle making money or working with others who make more than them" arguments that are looney tunes to me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #587 on: April 23, 2022, 09:43:21 AM »
Competitive balance concerns are legitimate.  I'm not personally swayed by that argument but it will further separate high majors from low and mid majors.

It's the,  "they can't handle making money or working with others who make more than them" arguments that are looney tunes to me.
I thought maybe those paying the NIL would be putting pressure on the coaches to play those players more, but that doesn't really seem to be a legitimate concern.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #588 on: April 23, 2022, 09:51:32 AM »
I really can’t see how this is different from the working world. People are paid the value that they bring.

That's not how it's going to work necessarily.  But if that's how it's done, and players are actually paid by their merit or value, how do you determine that exactly before they step on the court?  Or should they get paid after the season?  Won't some players  immediately transfer to schools that pay them more after a good season?  As far aa I know there is no cap.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #589 on: April 23, 2022, 10:02:10 AM »

That's not what I'm saying.  But if you want to go down that road and look at this in a more macro and nuanced way would you say that kids getting paid big money are more or less likely to go to class and earn a college degree?  And if they're less likely, or have no interest, what's the purpose of them getting free tuition or boarding on campus? 

Meanwhile, isn't it true that 1/2 of all NBA players go broke?  So maybe within the university system theire should be programs designed to help these young athletes deal with fiduciary responsibilities and future investment growth?   Perhaps they wouldn't have leeches once they get to the pros? 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #590 on: April 23, 2022, 10:45:24 AM »
I mean we know the better players have been receiving money, etc has in college basketball for the past 50-60 years.   Why would it all of a sudden be a chemistry problem now?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #591 on: April 23, 2022, 10:49:19 AM »

Do you have issues with anyone in your company making more than you do?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #592 on: April 23, 2022, 11:10:13 AM »
Based on Shakas signing’s so far he is bringing in people who he thinks he can develop into high level talent.  They have not necessarily been the type that MU has to make sure are paid big dollars immediately upon arrival.  That is ok if MU is ready and willing for Phase 2.

Phase 2 with this strategy is MU alums/business leaders in Milwaukee who are willing to step up when it matters, after the players become good to great college players. Justin is a good example of this.  Hopefully the powers that be have a nice package waiting for him if he decides not to go pro.  I would hate to become the triple A team for the big boys.

At least in prior years we didn’t have to worry about our best players (diamonds in the rough) leaving for anywhere but the pros.  The way it is set up now we could be a farm team if we’re not ready.

MU was always in this position when compared to the Kentuckys of the world on initial recruitment of players as people incessantly point out.  In that way nothing has changed. But they weren’t necessarily in this position after MU had them in the fold.  The new rules give the big boys another chance to keep lesser programs from reaching their potential. 

Overall point, I eagerly await MUs and the MU community’s response to this.  The recruiting strategy could pay off big time if we are willing to pay big $$$$ in Phase 2.  If not our next Wade will be in the Final Four for another team.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #593 on: April 23, 2022, 12:53:30 PM »
Do you have issues with anyone in your company making more than you do?
I didn’t say ‘me’. Personally, I don’t have an issue. I state that it might be an issue on a team that a coach might need to address. Might. That’s all. Might.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #594 on: April 23, 2022, 01:50:34 PM »
Because the scholarship is how they get "paid" by the university.  NIL is like a part time job that they get on their own.

You forget that the vast majority of college athletes won't make nearly enough from NIL to cover their scholarship.

...to get an education. The kid that gets 500k does not need the scholarship he can pay his own way for the courses required to play basketball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #595 on: April 23, 2022, 01:58:57 PM »
...to get an education. The kid that gets 500k does not need the scholarship he can pay his own way for the courses required to play basketball.

No, they get "paid" to play basketball for the university.
TAMU

panda

• All American
« Reply #596 on: April 23, 2022, 02:05:02 PM »

So why can kids on an academic scholarship of the same value make money off of their talents while you don’t say a word ?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #597 on: April 23, 2022, 02:14:24 PM »
That's not how it's going to work necessarily.  But if that's how it's done, and players are actually paid by their merit or value, how do you determine that exactly before they step on the court?

How do you exactly determine the value of an employee before you hire them?

Won't some players  immediately transfer to schools that pay them more after a good season?  As far aa I know there is no cap.

Yes. And that will lead to players from that school transferring to other schools where they have better opportunities. Circle of life.

That's not what I'm saying.  But if you want to go down that road and look at this in a more macro and nuanced way would you say that kids getting paid big money are more or less likely to go to class and earn a college degree?  And if they're less likely, or have no interest, what's the purpose of them getting free tuition or boarding on campus? 

I think NIL increases the likelihood that more players stay in school and earn their degrees. I think it is concerning that you seem to think this little of college athletes that because some of them will have some extra money that they will suddenly lose all interest in an education.

Meanwhile, isn't it true that 1/2 of all NBA players go broke?  So maybe within the university system theire should be programs designed to help these young athletes deal with fiduciary responsibilities and future investment growth?   Perhaps they wouldn't have leeches once they get to the pros? 

Many universities do offer programs like this for the athletes. I would say that this is another argument for NIL as well. Its one thing to learn about managing wealth when you don't have it yet and another to learn about it when you do. It also increases their earnings window.
TAMU

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #598 on: April 23, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »

That's not actually how the working world works.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #599 on: April 23, 2022, 03:07:17 PM »
I think it's different for thr pros because every player on the team that plays is a multimillionaire
Not every pro playing is a multimillionaire or even being paid millions.
Goal is National Championship

feedback