[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192910 times)

jfp61

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2022, 09:38:43 AM »
I will stop being a college basketball fan before I would give any of my money for an NIL.

Also, you wouldn't give money to NIL. You would give money to a charity. Occasionally a student athlete will get paid to promote the charity though NIL.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #551 on: April 22, 2022, 09:18:18 PM »
I will stop being a college basketball NBA minor league fan before I would give any of my money for an NIL.

There, I fixed it for you.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #552 on: April 22, 2022, 09:25:47 PM »
I think that's why it was wise to hire a coach like Shaka. I think most years we will retain our best players.

...that don't have stand out seasons for if they do they're off to "greener pastures".

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #553 on: April 22, 2022, 09:32:03 PM »
Also, you wouldn't give money to NIL. You would give money to a charity. Occasionally a student athlete will get paid to promote the charity though NIL.
I do donate to charities, which no longer include MU. I have given enough to MU over the years. I do not like the NIL. Not because I do not think the players deserve the money. It is because it will just make the blue bloods more dominate.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #554 on: April 22, 2022, 09:44:31 PM »
hey man, hoop at Marquette. $200k education. Fiserv Forum. Sweet charter flights with unlimited Subway subs and Gatorade. And, and, Coach Shaka says all the swag you want.
What’s that? You need $600k? Welp…I can get you $10k from Billybob’s Chevrolet here in town, and $20k from Fake Chili Is Us. But ya gotta eat 10 bowls every non game-day Saturdays at noon. Might be able to squeeze $10g from Farmboy Cheese Curds….that ain’t bad, and Joey here will do your homework! We good? 
NIL is a beautiful thing, brahs.

now that was funny right there v-man!  i could party with this dude!
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #555 on: April 22, 2022, 09:50:07 PM »
So how is the Miami Coach going to bench a 600k kid if he is not playing well. How will the 600k kid react to boos if the team is not winning while he is having an ESPN highlight every game. What pressure will the "consortium" that paid the 600k put on the coach to make their guy shine even at the expense of the other players?

As you can tell I'm not a big fan of this new reality and see no benefit for Marquette basketball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #556 on: April 22, 2022, 10:31:26 PM »
So how is the Miami Coach going to bench a 600k kid if he is not playing well. How will the 600k kid react to boos if the team is not winning while he is having an ESPN highlight every game. What pressure will the "consortium" that paid the 600k put on the coach to make their guy shine even at the expense of the other players?

As you can tell I'm not a big fan of this new reality and see no benefit for Marquette basketball.

Yep.  And how are his teammates going to react to this potential situation? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #557 on: April 22, 2022, 11:08:30 PM »
So how is the Miami Coach going to bench a 600k kid if he is not playing well.

By waiting for the next stoppage of play and subbing in another player? What is stopping him?

How will the 600k kid react to boos if the team is not winning while he is having an ESPN highlight every game.

The same way any other player would?

What pressure will the "consortium" that paid the 600k put on the coach to make their guy shine even at the expense of the other players?

None? These guys don't actually expect ROI beyond the player committing to their alma mater.

Yep.  And how are his teammates going to react to this potential situation? 

The way they would when any other teammate isn't playing as well as they are supposed to?

I must have missed all the pro teams that are incapable of playing together because one of them makes more money than the rest of them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #558 on: April 22, 2022, 11:13:23 PM »

Huh? Are you just being sarcastic?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #559 on: April 22, 2022, 11:27:06 PM »
By waiting for the next stoppage of play and subbing in another player? What is stopping him?

The same way any other player would?

None? These guys don't actually expect ROI beyond the player committing to their alma mater.

The way they would when any other teammate isn't playing as well as they are supposed to?

I must have missed all the pro teams that are incapable of playing together because one of them makes more money than the rest of them.

I think it's different for thr pros because every player on the team that plays is a multimillionaire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #560 on: April 22, 2022, 11:37:57 PM »
I think it's different for thr pros because every player on the team that plays is a multimillionaire

So human beings are incapable of working together with people who make more money than them until they hit the multi millionaire threshold?

I wasn't aware that every job in America paid all of their employees equally.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #561 on: April 22, 2022, 11:42:01 PM »
I'm honestly curious about the logic here. Is the argument that college athletes are too fragile? Too dumb? Too selfish? What is it about college athletes that make them the only people in the country who are incapable of handling being paid for their services/incapable of working with people who get compensated more or less than they do?
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #562 on: April 22, 2022, 11:46:47 PM »
So human beings are incapable of working together with people who make more money than them until they hit the multi millionaire threshold?

I wasn't aware that every job in America paid all of their employees equally.

I think you're overlooking the age of these kids and the overall dynamic.  I could be wrong but I think there would be some resentment in a number of situations.  Especially from upperclassmen.  And in football I think it will be much more difficult.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #563 on: April 22, 2022, 11:59:34 PM »
I think you're overlooking the age of these kids and  the overall dynamic.  I could be wrong but I think there would be some resentment in a number of situations.  Especially from upperclassmen.  And in football I think it will be much more difficult.

So they are too young to handle someone making more money than them? Old enough to die for their county but too immature to be on the same team as a guy with a higher paycheck? That seems like a stretch.

Sure there will be resentment. There was resentment when NIL wasn't a thing!  There are 70 year olds who resent others who are making more than they are. That never stops. I have a lot more faith in college athletes and their coaches to not let some resentment get in the way of performance.

I get arguments about competitive balance and NIL. They don't sway me personally but they at least make sense.  These arguments of college kids can't handle making money just seem condescending and nonsensical to me
TAMU

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #564 on: April 23, 2022, 12:18:52 AM »
I think you're overlooking the age of these kids and the overall dynamic.  I could be wrong but I think there would be some resentment in a number of situations.  Especially from upperclassmen.  And in football I think it will be much more difficult.

You don't think Dominic James enjoyed certain perks that Dwight Burke did not?  Fist bumps from dudes on campus, attention from girls at parties, free drinks from bartenders at Murphs?  The DBs of the world know their place.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #565 on: April 23, 2022, 12:39:59 AM »
So they are too young to handle someone making more money than them? Old enough to die for their county but too immature to be on the same team as a guy with a higher paycheck? That seems like a stretch.

Sure there will be resentment. There was resentment when NIL wasn't a thing!  There are 70 year olds who resent others who are making more than they are. That never stops. I have a lot more faith in college athletes and their coaches to not let some resentment get in the way of performance.

I get arguments about competitive balance and NIL. They don't sway me personally but they at least make sense.  These arguments of college kids can't handle making money just seem condescending and nonsensical to me

I understand your point but it's not like getting free room and board and the opportunity to earn a degree is nothing financially.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #566 on: April 23, 2022, 12:51:28 AM »
I understand your point but it's not like getting free room and board and the opportunity to earn a degree is nothing financially.

Did I say it was?

So you're comfortable with a governing body artificially limiting someone's earning potential by hundreds of thousands simply because some of their teammates might resent them for making more than they do? Are you a capitalist?
TAMU

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #567 on: April 23, 2022, 05:50:56 AM »
I'm honestly curious about the logic here. Is the argument that college athletes are too fragile? Too dumb? Too selfish? What is it about college athletes that make them the only people in the country who are incapable of handling being paid for their services/incapable of working with people who get compensated more or less than they do?

If they are being paid then why the scholarship (I'm practically choking on the word)? It could go to a kid that actually wants to get an education; which was the point but apparently no longer is.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 05:58:49 AM by muwarrior69 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #568 on: April 23, 2022, 07:24:59 AM »
If they are being paid then why the scholarship (I'm practically choking on the word)? It could go to a kid that actually wants to get an education; which was the point but apparently no longer is.

Because the scholarship is part of the compensation package (as it always has been).
You question is akin to asking "If we're paying a salary, why pay for expenses?"

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #569 on: April 23, 2022, 07:25:20 AM »

Out of curiosity, do you also oppose the job I got while on scholarship so I could buy groceries and maybe go out once in a while?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #570 on: April 23, 2022, 07:49:08 AM »

So people can't earn money and get an education too?  These arguments are nonsense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #571 on: April 23, 2022, 07:50:48 AM »

Because the scholarship is how they get "paid" by the university.  NIL is like a part time job that they get on their own.

You forget that the vast majority of college athletes won't make nearly enough from NIL to cover their scholarship.
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #572 on: April 23, 2022, 07:52:55 AM »

Not accurate.

I am old enough to remember similar statements about professional athletes when free agency first took off.  Too young to have that much money.  They won't be able to work together because of the compensation differences.  They will play for the money and become lazy on the court.

They were all nonsense then and are nonsense now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #573 on: April 23, 2022, 08:04:54 AM »
Out of curiosity, do you also oppose the job I got while on scholarship so I could buy groceries and maybe go out once in a while?
play here, and I’ll pay you w/no-cost tuition, room/board & books. We’ll travel free to Hawaii. Orlando…even a free bus ride to Dane County!! You want a job to earn spending $? Good on ya. Ham & Egger II just opened and looking for staff.

(Chill please. Just hackin’)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #574 on: April 23, 2022, 08:09:12 AM »
College kids get jealous when a first team all American dominates the ball.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.